against school merger

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 29
Next Last
Really Think

Herkimer, NY

#1 Oct 2, 2011
This is an excellent article to get people thinking about the detrement the school merger may have on the Village of Herkimer.

www.herkimermerger.com

Read it and think for yourself. People will only tell you what they want you to hear so that you will vote for what they want.
mohawk valley central

Ithaca, NY

#2 Oct 2, 2011
its a good idea for the merger, we are voting YES...
Herkie

Little Falls, NY

#3 Oct 2, 2011
A propaganda article citing no sources for "The vast majority of students and faculty are against the merger". It also references no author who wrote and posted it. A majority of faculty might be against it because they are looking out for their jobs.

the entire piece is filled with assumptions like this:

"The only thing keeping them from leaving Herkimer is the fact that their kids are comfortable in their school"

Really? Who did the public opinion poll to actually qualify that statement? Do you think Herkimer Village homeowners will all suddenly put their houses up for sale if the schools merged?

It would be nice to know who the lackey was that wrote such a BS article.
what

Herkimer, NY

#4 Oct 2, 2011
why do you say the merger is a good idea? In what town or village do you live? Explain why you think it's good so you can convince us. I think it's a terrible idea. We are voting NO!
Herkie

Little Falls, NY

#5 Oct 2, 2011
I did not say I thought it is a good idea either way. I have not seen the actual study showing the pros and cons. I simply commented on the anonymous bullshit in the link provided above. It references no author so we cannot consider the motives of said author. It cites no anectodal evidence to support the claims made in the article. We didn't move to Herkimer solely because of the school. We moved to Herkimer because we liked the house we bought, its proxemity to a lot of businesses in the village and the relative quietness of the neighborhood. We are close to the high school, however, kids still have to be bussed to the elementary school. This is no different than if a merger occured.

BTW, I live in the village and refute the claim that I'd sell my house simply because of a school merger.
Lol

New York, NY

#6 Oct 2, 2011
Herkie wrote:
A propaganda article citing no sources for "The vast majority of students and faculty are against the merger". It also references no author who wrote and posted it. A majority of faculty might be against it because they are looking out for their jobs.
the entire piece is filled with assumptions like this:
"The only thing keeping them from leaving Herkimer is the fact that their kids are comfortable in their school"
Really? Who did the public opinion poll to actually qualify that statement? Do you think Herkimer Village homeowners will all suddenly put their houses up for sale if the schools merged?
It would be nice to know who the lackey was that wrote such a BS article.
I was just thinking the same thing! Who did write this article? Where did these "facts" come from? The children are comfortable? I understood that the elementary schools would remain in tact for the most part. I have more research to do, but my family and I are all for the merger for the benefit of future generations. I think everyone is selling their own children's abilities short. What makes parents think that their little Billy or Sally won't be able to play sports? do they have such little confidence in their children. If the competition is tough in either academics and arthletics, then they will learn to try harder. Please people do condemn your children to mediocrity.
Herkimer

Herkimer, NY

#7 Oct 2, 2011
Herkie: Even though it's all about opinions, every parent I know is against the merger. I think that article is just an opinion. Just as your post and mohawk valley central's post are opinions. In fact, I personally WILL put my house for sale because it is true. If I have to have my children go to Ilion, Frankfort and Herkimer, why am I living here. Mohawk and Frankfort have much quieter communities and electic bills there are 80% cheaper than they are in Herkimer. I still have to drive to Hannaford now, so what's another 4 minutes. We really do live here just because of the school. I am voting no too.
Herkie

Little Falls, NY

#8 Oct 2, 2011
I understand your feeings on it, Herkimer. I just have a hard time "buying" into the claims in that anonymous piece. BTW has the study even been completed and made public yet? I don't recall seeing it in the news as yet. I have to think the claims made in that link came from public meetings on the issue. Just because many who came out to those meetings are against it, it does not mean a majority of people are against it. A lot of assumptions are being made with no real gauge of the opinions from the people in the affected communities.

Kids are resilient and adaptable. Sure there would be growing pains that come from a merger. I went through one when I was in high school a long time ago. Other schools merged into the one I was in, so there were lots of new faces in the halls. Don't sell kids short, they can assimilate to what is new.
Herkimer

Herkimer, NY

#9 Oct 2, 2011
I agree, but I also feel the school is part of Herkimer. Othewise why not live in Mohawk. Just across the bridge. Lol: do you know how much it would cost to outfit and coach and bus several football teams in the same grades? If there is only one team, then most kids will just be hanging out on the streets.
Whoever

Springfield, MA

#10 Oct 2, 2011
Whoever wrote this might be bringing up some valid concerns for the community as a whole especially the elderly who can't afford to move as they watch properties goes up for sale. The merger gives those of us a reason to get away from the college, go for the cheaper electric. We will have to drive to the high school if it goes through so why not drive to the grocery store? I am totally against this merger and now when you think about all this what does this mean for the future of Herkimer!
Herkie

Little Falls, NY

#11 Oct 2, 2011
And those are relevant points you raise, the affect on the kids and where they'll end up hanging out.

This is finally a worthwhile discussion on Topix.
Whoever

Ithaca, NY

#12 Oct 2, 2011
Herkie wrote:
And those are relevant points you raise, the affect on the kids and where they'll end up hanging out.
This is finally a worthwhile discussion on Topix.
Totally agree..suddenly your kids are wanting to go to friends houses in Ilion and Frankfort and you have no idea where they are going and who these kids are. You can't say you know the families anymore or the parents. It is a scary situation when you are from these small towns. We all know there are drugs all over the towns but it is nice to know the families the kids are hanging out with when they are in Herkimer. Just turns my stomach to think about going into other villages hanging out. If the merger goes through,
that will be interesting from a parenting aspect.
Agreed

Herkimer, NY

#13 Oct 2, 2011
I totally agree with the site. It gives totally valid points I never even considered. But when you think about it, it is totally forseeable. I wonder what the merger study will tell us, but I will keep these points in mind. I'm sure these points will not be talked about in the study. The community will definitely change and I too am starting to think why stay in Herkimer if my kids will be going to school in another village.
Herkie

Little Falls, NY

#14 Oct 2, 2011
Keep in mind though that many kids between the villages are already friends. My kids here in Herkimer have friends out to Mount Markham and New Hartford, even as far as Van Hornesville. With Facebook, these kids are branching out farther than just friends here locally in school. Intermingling them with consolidation may or may not be relevant in this day and age.
Danny

Little Falls, NY

#15 Oct 2, 2011
Vote NO!
Mike L

Herkimer, NY

#16 Oct 2, 2011
I will vote no. I have thought about the same thing for a few weeks now and have talked to my friends and neighbors who all feel the same way. At least someone has the guts to say something in a public way to get the point across. Definitely vote NO!
it all adds up

Herkimer, NY

#17 Oct 2, 2011
Mike L wrote:
I will vote no. I have thought about the same thing for a few weeks now and have talked to my friends and neighbors who all feel the same way. At least someone has the guts to say something in a public way to get the point across. Definitely vote NO!
It was explained to me that, no merger, no state aid. Were will that leave us? I agree about the sports teams and all, just more kids with nothing to do!
Daniel

Little Falls, NY

#18 Oct 2, 2011
it all adds up wrote:
<quoted text>It was explained to me that, no merger, no state aid. Were will that leave us? I agree about the sports teams and all, just more kids with nothing to do!
Yup and more fighting!
piggie pat

Little Falls, NY

#19 Oct 2, 2011
herkie u take it deep just like first amendment did wink wink
link x link

Little Falls, NY

#20 Oct 2, 2011
Just say no!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 29
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scumbags! 4 hr herkimer 2
beacon center (Nov '12) 17 hr Lisa 142
ReneeG Sat spill it 6
Obesity Sat Huge Gina Supporter 13
Stuff the Bus campaign kicks off Friday evening Sat einstien 9
brennan the judge Fri spell check 86
Elementary Teachers? Fri kpnitreal 3
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match

Herkimer People Search