'It's degrading': Bankrupt New Englan...

'It's degrading': Bankrupt New England mill town offers Herkimer a bleak preview

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

pickle face kate

New York, NY

#1 Jul 29, 2013
Herkimer is next if we cant stop funding and spending...

In a small mill town in New England, dozens of retired policemen and firefighters are feeling the pain of what they see as a broken promise, offering a glimpse into what could happen to thousands of public workers in Detroit facing massive reductions in pension payouts after the city's declaration of bankruptcy.

Donald Cardin became a firefighter at age 20 in Central Falls, R.I., a town just north of Providence that filed for bankruptcy in 2011. He was making $60,000 a year as a fire chief before retiring at age 42 in 2007 to take care of his wife Lana, diagnosed with thymic carcinoma, a rare cancer with extremely low survival rates.

The couple relied on Cardin’s health insurance, which required no copay, to cover Lana’s $8,000-a-month treatment. Cardin worked a part-time contracting job to make up the difference between his $34,000-a-year pension and his former salary.

----------

But that all changed in 2011 when Cardin, and his fellow firefighters and policemen, were called to a meeting at the local high school, where state-appointed receiver Robert Flanders warned them that the city would not have enough money to survive if pensions were not cut. Weeks later the city would file for bankruptcy.

“After a lifetime of service, with the stroke of a pen, Judge Flanders changes the rest of our lives and doesn’t care,” said Cardin.

Bruce Ogni, 53, president of the Central Falls Police Retirees Association, won't forget that day, either.

“All of a sudden they dropped this on us. There was no real negotiation. Flanders came in and said the city is in big trouble, we need half your pension and your medical,” he said.
cant wait

Shelby, NC

#2 Jul 29, 2013
Omg i can't wait to see this happen here. All these tax eater bottom feeder government workers can suffer like the rest of us tax payers have for years
stairway to hell

Little Falls, NY

#3 Jul 29, 2013
no siht sub in rob risi and all our lawsuits and there you have it.. Herkimer to hell in a hand basket real soon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Romas to end Endzone. Countdown starts 1 hr Wow 2
Loggers 1 hr Try again 4
Pat Russell 2 hr Yuck 1
Charlie crandall 5 hr Shameful 9
Andrew is NO SLOUCH at Crime! 5 hr Whatz in YOUR Wallet 2
One Party under Mob with Liberty/Justice for THEM 9 hr Racketeering in NYS 3
What happen to the Main Street plan? 9 hr Racketeering in NY 9

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance