Dark Star

Groton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Does anyone know of any special places to mine Herkimer Diamonds other than the diamond mines? Your help would be greatly appreciated
Dark Star

Groton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

unemployed alcoholic wrote:
Yes. There is a place near a pond near the intersection of Tower and Newport roads outside of Newport that has real diamonds, not the quartz rocks you find at the Diamond Mines.
This little-known place has made the few people who know about it quite wealthy over the years with diamonds worth as much as $5K and $10K apiece pulled from the ground.
Seriously. I'm just looking for some off the beaten path spots..anyone?
bady

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Try crystal grove in st johnsville or the treasure cove in fonda next year. if you mine on private property or state land you can get in serious trouble or get hurt. I wouldnt do it and don't recommend anyone else try. A few years ago people were sneaking into the quarry in middleville and mining the ditch along the road but the cops and hanson put an end to that. One unlucky guy got a 1000 fine for trespassing and a posession ticket. From what I've heard the quarry is picked clean now since they rarely work there anymore and all the poachers have cleaned it out
Just Wondering

Pittsford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

bady wrote:
Try crystal grove in st johnsville or the treasure cove in fonda next year. if you mine on private property or state land you can get in serious trouble or get hurt. I wouldnt do it and don't recommend anyone else try. A few years ago people were sneaking into the quarry in middleville and mining the ditch along the road but the cops and hanson put an end to that. One unlucky guy got a 1000 fine for trespassing and a posession ticket. From what I've heard the quarry is picked clean now since they rarely work there anymore and all the poachers have cleaned it out
Thanks for the response. I have tried Crystal Grove. Where is Treasure Cove? That's too bad about the poachers. I'm not considering doing anything illegal. Was just wondering if people allowed anyone to mine on their land. Do you know in which town besides Middleville have the largest amounts of crystals found? Curious
Im not much help but

Delmar, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Dark Star wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously. I'm just looking for some off the beaten path spots..anyone?
Try Newport and Little Falls topix

I know there is a place in the New Port area. A miner I knew from years ago would dig there. I believe he found NO sizeable pockets. I believe he was lifting shelf as he called it. Also ask around Little Falls. There is some public land where you can dig.
miner

Moravia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Along the West Canada on Rt. 28 from Herkimer to Middleville. The Parking area in between the two "Osbourne Hill Rds" (it's a looped road with two ends). Just pull over and dig at the edge of the dirt road. You will find crystals clear ones and even some druze. Break open the rocks too, the ones with little vugs in them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

30 Users are viewing the Herkimer Forum right now

Search the Herkimer Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayors circus 8 min unauthorized use 34
How to get out of a DWI in Herkimer County 43 min beret bastards 15
cheating men 45 min beret bastards 8
Licari Motor Car sucks (Sep '10) 1 hr John 20
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Matt Lauers Toupee 6,362
auto salvage technologies 4 hr Doolen Banjos 7
Mike at Walmart 4 hr leave folks alone 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

Herkimer Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Herkimer People Search