Burrito Jonz closing?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
El Farolito

Malone, NY

#1 Apr 4, 2014
Looks like Burrito Jonz is threatening to take its taxpayer-subsidized burrito and go home ... as in >shut down< after burning taxpayers for $30K and a whole three months of operation in the middle of winter.

Owner John Winter blames everyone and everything … except himself.

A selection of recent Facebook posts by Winter at https://www.facebook.com/BurritoJonzHerkimer .

“NEWS ALERT: "Get some JONZ while you can"

We do not have a resolution with the landlord.
He refuses to correct his shotty work and credit us for money spent to fix other deficiencies.
We refuse to pay a dime of rent until it happens.
It don't look good. Actually it looks hopeless. We actually agreed with the landlord's proposal of paying daily rent as long as deficiencies were taken care of but the landlord renegged from his OWN proposal.
Hey... maybe the strong leadership from Mayor Ainsworth will solve the problem. Now that's funny!
We have GREAT Valley customers.... sorry guys. We are trying and we have tried.
The reason main street looks so bad is because of the landlords & Mayor Ainsworth's refusal to clean up the "trash". The trash rule the street.
Who is Mayor Ainsworth puppet master anyways?
Wake up tax paying Herkimer residents... ONLY YOU can save your town!
Vote out ALL established politicians.
You don't have a chance until this happens.
Too many village cronies are making money with the STATUS QUO... now this is a news story for a "real" reporter.”

“Free Soda to the first person who can tell us how many times Mayor Ainsworth has come in and ate and thanked us for opening a new business in his town on the worst street in Herkimer.”

“A GREAT partnership with a Landlord and a supportive mayor's office are vital. Our present location has neither.”

“Let people know about us.... we are trying to hang on and limp to spring where more people are out and about. We don't have a dime for advertising because of the extremely long delay with the landlords build out. With have many back bills from the summer because thats when the space was promised to be completed.”

“We are in a perfect storm with a bad economy, terrible winter weather, a lousy Jan 2nd start date, a horrible landlord who has not completed original work and refuses to repair shoty work, all topped off with a very unsupportive mayoral administration.”

“We are getting many new and repeat customers but there are many people who dont think we ever opened because of the year long delay. We thank all of our loyal customer base. Just spread the word that we have finally opened. We know the market is big enough (Frankfort - Little Falls) but we just dont have the extra money like we would have had if the landlord had finished the build out on time like he promised.”
herkimer

Vernon, NY

#2 Apr 4, 2014
Well if that is true the owner does have a point. The only thing I would disagree with is the owner thinking the village owes him for opening his shop. He should be thankful for receiving the grant and interest free loan totaling $30,000. People who think their problems are always everybody else's fault but their own will never achieve anything. He should not have signed any lease until the work is done. If signing a lease on an unfinished property was part of the grant/loan deal then it's his own fault for not finding another property (there are plenty) or for not walking away from the proposed deal. But it seems it's always someone else's fault. Nobody forced him to set up in that particular building. Nobody forced him to take the money. In fact he fought tooth and nail to get that loan.
El Farolito

Malone, NY

#3 Apr 4, 2014
herkimer wrote:
Well if that is true the owner does have a point.
The only point the owner has is on the dunce cap perched on his stupid head.

Airing your grievances with a landlord on social media is pathetic and does nothing to grow the business. It just makes you look like a halfwit. Even more stupid is blaming Ainsworth and the rest of the village -- the same govt that gave him a $15,000 loan of our tax dollars.

With his constant drumbeat of criticism over the past year not to mention taking nearly 2 years to open, Winter has alienated dozens of village and county employees who bent over backwards to help this jackass. They work just a couple blocks away. Of course they're not going to patronize his burrito joint and worse, they bad mouth the JONZ to their friends and family.

The sad thing is the place has pretty good food and is the only Mexican joint nearby. We have visited plenty of times and used to visit in Utica as well before Winter ran that burrito shack out of business (again blaming everyone but himself).

However the situation does not look favorable for this place to continue. Hopefully someone else will open a Mexican place. As for Winter he should quit trying to run a business and look for work at Walmart.

AFTER he pays back his loan.
El Farolito

Malone, NY

#4 Apr 4, 2014
New post from Winter at http://www.facebook.com/BurritoJonzHerkimer

No mention of the $30K the scamming thief robbed from the taxpayers!

"NEWS FLASH:
It is official as of one minute ago.
Burrito Jonz is closing in Herkimer.
We would like to thank all our customers who supported the business.
There is nothing we can do to resolve this matter with our landlord in good conscious. There will be one more empty space on main street. Thank you again to our customers.
We tried..."
Golf Clap

Little Falls, NY

#5 Apr 4, 2014
John has paranoia issues. Way to throw away a business for a few thousand dollars in rent.
Look at the mirror

Syracuse, NY

#6 Apr 4, 2014
You are the one who is the failure not the mayor, not the landlord, not your customers....you dug your own grave and the best part about it is you don't know when to shut your mouth
gooch

Malone, NY

#7 Apr 4, 2014
what happens to my Burrito Jonz Frequent Farter Club loyalty card?

I'm just two punches away from a free burrito or T-shirt!
Auctioneer

Little Falls, NY

#8 Apr 6, 2014
Equipment auction tomorrow at 2 P.M. at Burrito Jonz.
JONZ Burrito

Malone, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2014
Auctioneer wrote:
Equipment auction tomorrow at 2 P.M. at Burrito Jonz.
Up for auction:

"THE BURRITO BUGGERY / TAXPAYER SODOMY MACHINE"

Bidding begins at $750.

This ingenious machine allows a naked taxpayer to be shackled into place by his hands and feet while standing up and bent over from the waist.

The device features a mechanized burrito-sized probe that penetrates the restrained naked taxpayer from the rear hole.

Fully adjustable controls enable the operator to adjust how vigorously and deeply he wishes to f*&%k over the taxpayer.

Features a basket in front to collect the $30,000 that the taxpayer spits out while being violated from the rear.

Machine is in perfect condition -- works like a charm!
Booger

Herkimer, NY

#10 Apr 7, 2014
The facebook page is gone so maybe you're right. lol
Listenup

Little Falls, NY

#11 Apr 7, 2014
Stop blaming Mr Winter. It was our moronic village officials who gave this deadbeat the money. Remember Burritto Jones when the village idiot board members ask for your vote.
turlsbomber4life

United States

#12 Apr 7, 2014
lol lol lol @ herkymer
Burrrito BOOB

Malone, NY

#13 Apr 7, 2014
What a surprise, the Telegram reports Mister Winter was evicted for not paying rent -- a whole $500 a month for commercial space!

Isn't it funny that while not being able to afford rent, Mister had a couple of thousand dollars to fly himself to San Antonio TX in March for the SXSW music festival! ROFL

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/article/20140...

Burrito Jonz Closes Its Doors in Herkimer

By STEPHANIE SORRELL-WHITE
Telegram Staff Writer
Posted Apr. 7, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

HERKIMER — Burrito Jonz, at the corner of North Main Street and Park Avenue, closed its doors over the weekend after only three months in business.

Its owner said the closure was due to a disagreement with the landlord, while the landlord said it was over the owner’s refusal to pay rent.

This is after $30,000 had been invested into the business -$15,000 from the Herkimer County Industrial Development Agency and $15,000 from the village of Herkimer.

Mark Feane, IDA executive director, said Monday there were provisions on the grant if the company went out of business.

“Our lawyers are going to need to investigate what the cause was for going out of business,” he said.

Herkimer Mayor Mark Ainsworth could not be reached for comment Monday.

On Monday, the Burrito Jonz sign had been removed from the building and an auction was held of all of its equipment. Owner John Winter said “everything” was going back to the village.

Winter talked about what led to his closing the business so soon after opening and after a little less than two years of planning and remodeling.

“I couldn’t get to an agreement with the landlord,” he said.“I didn’t pay rent because he didn’t fix what he was supposed to.”

Winter added,“I don’t know what I’m going to do now … I’m going to try and regroup.” Winter closed his Burrito Jonz location in Utica in August 2013.

Alex Dorantes said he and his brother Jason Dorantes were in negotiations with Winter in February 2012, when they first bought the building.

“It was a successful business, I liked the food and he said he could do well in Herkimer,” said Dorantes during an interview Monday.

A five-year lease agreement was signed in August 2012 for $500 a month for rent with no increases, he said.

Dorantes said over the next year, improvements were made to the building to accommodate Winter’s requests.

In May 2012, the IDA granted Burrito Jonz $15,000. In January 2013, the Herkimer village board approved a $15,000 loan from a revolving loan fund for the project, but specified the funds could be used for equipment only.

In an April 5, 2013 Telegram article, Winter said he anticipated the restaurant opening “very, very soon.” The plan was to hire three full-time employees and six to 10 part-time employees.

Dorantes said, however, after he wasn’t paid rent for January and February after trying to negotiate with Winter, he said he and his brother looked into having a three-day pay or quit eviction.

Last week, Dorantes and Winter said a court decided he needed to pay rent. Dorantes said he is owed a little over $2,000 for rent and another fee from the court decision. He also said the decision included evicting the owner.

Dorantes said he is also out the money he put into restoring the old Sprint Communication building into a restaurant.

In the meantime, Dorantes said he is looking toward the future.
“We have a list of people who want to do business with us,” he said.

Dorantes said they’ve had two other businesses open in the same building - Custom Cuts Barber Shop and Top Dollar Gold - for a little over a year.
jiggy

Malone, NY

#14 Apr 7, 2014
went there ordered my burrito waited to the side, a returning customer asked for refried beans the owner said yeah we have them, just that the can is so big and we don't have much call for them so I'd rather not open them, HELLO did you HEAR the man he said he was here before and you said the same thing, I was shocked go to Wally's and get the smaller cans, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, wasn't a fan of the food either. BYE
Funny

Little Falls, NY

#15 Apr 7, 2014
Only in Herkimer could this happen.
Burrrito BOOB

Malone, NY

#16 Apr 7, 2014
jiggy wrote:
went there ordered my burrito waited to the side, a returning customer asked for refried beans the owner said yeah we have them, just that the can is so big and we don't have much call for them so I'd rather not open them, HELLO did you HEAR the man he said he was here before and you said the same thing, I was shocked go to Wally's and get the smaller cans, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, wasn't a fan of the food either. BYE
that's hilarious about the refried beans ... typical John Winter -- Penny-Pinching Gringo!

This Burrito Boob joker came to Herkimer thinking he'd score big with the college kids ... then charged them a $1 surcharge if they used their "Herkimer General" student cash card!

what a great way to alienate what you imagine to be your core customer base.

of course he alienated half the people at the village and county office buildings too, what a brilliant business mind.

Herkimer and the whole valley is cursed. can't even get a decent burrito joint. it's sad but it's also funny sort of like when Crazy Otto built the World's Largest Omelette and then sold it off as pig feed.
Otto

Herkimer, NY

#17 Apr 7, 2014
herkimer is trying for the worlds largest trash dump....they may just get it now.
Johnny Winter

Utica, NY

#18 Apr 7, 2014
See ya suckers I got a nice 30 Grand compliments of you stupid taxpayers.
jiggy

Malone, NY

#19 Apr 7, 2014
thanks for the mess you're leaving behind, maybe with 30 k you can buy smaller cans of beans
hells angel sux

Ilion, NY

#20 Apr 7, 2014
Skimmmed couple thousand off top of the 30k loan put it in the pocket. Hey blow me.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Triple AAA promotional code 3 hr safe driver 1
Dr. Morra is Gone from Mohawk Valley Vets - WHY... (May '12) 10 hr Need a vet 31
Sylvia Rowen 14 hr Lazy Sylvia 7
Nothing will change till ya get rid of good old... Mon Enough already 2
Why hasn't Carpenter charged former Police chie... Mon Karl Malone 11
Herkimer County DA, eyeballs deep in Police tra... Mon Go Jeff 24
Carpenter, over 400 unprosecuted DWI's...... Mon MADD 23
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages