First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wonders

Syracuse, NY

#1 May 20, 2011
Seems there is a man and woman that walk around Herkimer with Shopping carts filled with all kinds of junk..........Strange people. They swear at you and they are rude. I have seen them twice in the same week. Just giving a heads up to all of you they are scary people.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 May 21, 2011
i've always wondered why people aren't arrested when they leave a store's property with a grocery cart. someday i would like to go to lowes, by some lumber, and leave with one of there flat bed carts. this also raises one big question. if i went to a grocery store supply store that sold grocery carts, would i be able to walk away with a grocery cart, without paying for it? also, does the store pay the village per cart for each one the village employees bring back? is it ok for me to call 911 whenever i see someone with a grocery cart? after all i would be reporting a theft. if everyone started calling 911 would the stores be forced to change the grocery cart policy? or maybe we should just not worry about it, and just come to the realization that we live in a cesspool, where decent tax paying citizens are forced to follow rules, and fined if they don't, but the ever increasing masses of wellfare trash are allowed to break the rules without consequence.
Amazing

Syracuse, NY

#3 May 21, 2011
I agree Calm! I do quite a bit of driving for my Job in the herkimer area. I have seen more than just these two walking around with shopping carts. I literally saw those two I am talking about last week coming out of a dumpster at a local store filling up the cart with stuff. It seems that if you or I did some of the same stuff that these people I see we would be given a ticket, arrested, or at least reprimanded. The cops know the poeple at the 210 building by name and know they are all crack heads and low lifes yet they continue to let the petty shit they do go by.The weather is getting nicer maybe all the scum will go back down to the point in tents and eat canned goods they shop lift soon and we wont have to look at them. I love the cesspool comment that calm made. It is true. I just was a bit taken back by the personality of the two I mentioned above. Very rude, very scary couple!
Idiot you be

Little Falls, NY

#4 May 21, 2011
This isn't an issue just in Herkimer. the police don't want to bother charging people for what is clearly theft and stores don't want to bother pressing charges.

Its about time municipalities enact local laws making it a crime where it doesn't matter if the store wants to press charges or not. And it should require the taker of the cart to bring it back. It is about time the HPD and other police depts start taking notice to this problem.
Amazing

Syracuse, NY

#5 May 21, 2011
Idiot you be wrote:
This isn't an issue just in Herkimer. the police don't want to bother charging people for what is clearly theft and stores don't want to bother pressing charges.
Its about time municipalities enact local laws making it a crime where it doesn't matter if the store wants to press charges or not. And it should require the taker of the cart to bring it back. It is about time the HPD and other police depts start taking notice to this problem.
I agree!
Idiot you be

Little Falls, NY

#6 May 21, 2011
Lets ask Nick Macri when he's actually going to start acting like an attorney for the village. All I see his name attached to are stupid village ordinances that end up costing the village taxpayers money to defend in court. Ask him why the Village doesn't take a stand against the people who take the carts. His half-baked idea is to punish the stores for their carts being left around the village. As if the stores are the ones leaving them everywhere. And this guy calls himself an attorney?
Idiot you be

Little Falls, NY

#7 May 21, 2011
Tell me these people actually represent us in Herkimer:

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/features/x215...

“We don’t want to ticket the resident … We want to put the onus on the businesses that own the carts,” said Ainsworth.
“It’s a form of litter in a sense,” Ainsworth said, noting the village has tried to address the issue in the past with letters to businesses.

It would seem apparent, especially based on the law posted by someone on that story, that removing the cart from the property of the business that owns it is a larceny. Therefore the ONUS is on the person who stole it. Basically village government want to forget the fact that it is stolen property, instead to call it litter. Litter is something to be discarded. A shopping cart is a tangible asset belonging to someone. And since it has value, it is theft.
Idea

Herkimer, NY

#8 May 21, 2011
The stores will never press charges for people taking their carts. The police can't do anything if the owner doesn't press charges. The stores will not pay the village for bringing back the carts. The village can bill the stores, but the stores will not pay, just like the college does not pay the fire department for the false fire alarms up there, even though the college is billed for that. Same thing will happen here with shopping cart delivery bills. What needs to be done is the village should continue to pick up the carts, but instead of bringing them back to he stores, they should impound them and simply store them. Then it should cost the stores $2 or $3 per shopping cart to pick them up. And I don't mean for the village to deliver them, I mean the stores have to go to the impound lot, pay the fee per cart, and pick take the carts back to their own stores. At first the stores will not want to pick them up, but when it comes time to order new carts because they are running low, I'm sure they would rather pay the village their impound fees, rather than pay whatever it costs to order new carts. Eventually the stores will get tired of having to do this, and they will implement some way of keeping people from taking their carts. Right now the stores don't care because they get free return delivery service from the village a couple of times a week. Impound the carts, and charge a per cart fee to release the carts. That is how it should work. Hopefully officials will come to their senses and do this.
Anticommunist

Herkimer, NY

#9 May 21, 2011
Construct the GPS electrocution device.
Idiot you be

Little Falls, NY

#10 May 21, 2011
Whether or not the store presses charges is moot. Fact is, it is still a theft. When a cop sees someone in possession of stolen property, whether it be a car stereo or a shopping cart, they should be taking action. But they just ignore it. Instead, they should be stopping these people and giving them the opportunity to return the cart or face arrest. Unless that person bought the cart from the store, then it does not belong to them.

Sure, it sounds mundane to arrest people for a shopping cart, but the point is, those carts belong to someone else. It is no different than stealing merchandise from the store. These people are taking something that does not belong to them for their own benefit.

If the village begins to collect these carts, then by all means, the stores should have to come and get them. Whether or not a fee should be assessed, I'd have to say no because now you are penalizing the stores for the actions of others. Yes, a fee could be the way to leverage stores to take action to keep the carts on their property. But I still have to say the fees and fines should be against those who take the carts in the first place.
Maybe Some Hope

Potsdam, NY

#11 May 22, 2011
Herkimer, N.Y.— Village officials hoping to hold local businesses accountable for abandoned shopping carts here rolled slightly closer to a draft of a local ordinance Monday.
That’s according to Mayor Mark Ainsworth, who said local laws for the Westchester County town of Greenburgh and the city of Utica are currently under consideration by officials seeking to draft an ordinance that’s right for this community.
“We don’t want to ticket the resident … We want to put the onus on the businesses that own the carts,” said Ainsworth.
He said public works employees currently spend time collecting abandoned carts and transporting them to the village garage, incurring manpower expenses that add up.
“It’s a form of litter in a sense,” Ainsworth said, noting the village has tried to address the issue in the past with letters to businesses.
“One business did hire someone for a time to pick up the carts,” he said, but that initiative seemed to fizzle out.
In early May, he said board members are expected to bring suggestions to the table for a draft of the local ordinance. It’s hoped that a local law will be in place by this summer.
Also to be revisited in May are proposed revisions to the village’s sign law.
Officials during the meeting awarded bids for Phase II of the port project.
As noted in the Feb. 22 Telegram, state Assemblyman Marc Butler last November announced funding had been secured for the village and Unlocked Legends (doing business as Gems Along the Mohawk) to proceed with construction at the port, located on Mohawk Street directly across from the Thruway exit.
The $1.2 million project includes enhanced signage, site-scape development, additional landscaping and parking, marina improvements, an amphitheater, improved restroom facilities and enhancements to the physical appearance of the complex. It will also include the conversion of a storage and maintenance building on-site into a preview exhibition center.
The first phase of the project was the construction of the Gems Along the Mohawk complex, which included the Waterfront Grille and gift shops.
Ainsworth said the lowest bidder for the overall (Phase II) project and the bidder for electrical work were selected. Bids fell within the grant budget.
Now that the bids have been awarded, he said paperwork has to be filed with the state. Once the state gives its OK, permits will be issued. Hopefully work at the site will begin in early June, he said.
Clerk/Treasurer Mandy Viscomi said no real action was taken on an agenda item pertaining to alarm fees.
Ainsworth said various establishments in the village have frequent false alarms, which become costly for the village each time emergency apparatus rolls.
Some billing has been generated in an effort to recoup some of the expense.
“We’re waiting to see if bills have gone out and if money is coming in,” he said.
Finally, Viscomi said the following actions were taken with regard to petitions and communications:
Pending more information, village officials tabled a request from LaBella Associates to do flow tests on hydrants for the Herkimer County jail project;
They tabled until the next meeting a request from the Herkimer Farmers’ Market because of questions about insurance;
Officials addressed correspondence from Herkimer County HealthNet concerning a potential grant application for playground equipment at one of the village parks; and
They took no action on correspondence from the town of Russia Planning Board concerning the asphalt plant under consideration there.
Ainsworth said the village has been in communication with the state Department of Health and the state Department of Environmental Conservation concerning the project and have requested written assurances about the potential affect on the village’s water supply there.

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/features/x215...
Idea

Herkimer, NY

#12 May 22, 2011
Idiot You Be: I fully agree. However, the people that take the carts don't even have enough money to buy toothpaste, let alone pay a fine or post bail if they get arrested. And there is already an argument against a new county jail. Where would you house these individuals if you arrest them. Maybe they should build an even bigger jail so they can arrest harmless shopping cart takers. The businesses who own these carts must be responsible. People take carts because they don't even own cars. There is no way you are going to be able to impose a law which punishes the individuals. The stores should have someone at the end of the parking lot to greet cars as they come in, wave goodbye as they leave, and prevent people from taking carts. It would be a cost of doing business, as otherwise they will have to pay impound fees to get their carts back. It will work, if you think about it.
Idiot you be

Little Falls, NY

#13 May 22, 2011
Idea wrote:
Idiot You Be: I fully agree. However, the people that take the carts don't even have enough money to buy toothpaste, let alone pay a fine or post bail if they get arrested. And there is already an argument against a new county jail. Where would you house these individuals if you arrest them. Maybe they should build an even bigger jail so they can arrest harmless shopping cart takers. The businesses who own these carts must be responsible. People take carts because they don't even own cars. There is no way you are going to be able to impose a law which punishes the individuals. The stores should have someone at the end of the parking lot to greet cars as they come in, wave goodbye as they leave, and prevent people from taking carts. It would be a cost of doing business, as otherwise they will have to pay impound fees to get their carts back. It will work, if you think about it.
Then sentence them to community service. You address two problems, one the shopping carts, and two the litter on the streets.

Just because people don't own cars still doesn't give them the right to take a cart. They can always find those folding ones and buy one.
Cart

Herkimer, NY

#14 May 22, 2011
Idea wrote:
Honestly, have you seen who pushes these carts?

Mental health issues, abject poverty, and abuse issues are prevalent in this valley and that is something more serious we need to look at.
It DOES take a village.
Instead of sneering, we all need to hold out a hand and help out with these issues.
When you walk down Main St., don't turn the other cheek or look down when walking by the "people" who loiter there.
Look them in the eyes and say HELLO.
Show them that we all care and take pride in our village, but most importantly, that we are all on the same page and have shared goals.
Give them hope.

Some people don't have cars and that is their only way to get groceries home.

Not that I agree with the cart use, but seriously, when was the last time one of you dolled out some taxi money or asked one of the "cart" people if he/she needed a ride, some help, etc.?
I've done it.

We all need to start practicing random acts of kindness and living a life of GRATITUDE not ATTITUDE.

Therefore but for the grace of God go I.

Just saying.
We can't keep putting a bandaide on a larger, more serious issue facing our community.
Lend a hand, a heart, more importantly...hope.
new old twist

Fulton, MD

#15 May 22, 2011
Cart wrote:
<quoted text>
Mental health issues, abject poverty, and abuse issues are prevalent in this valley and that is something more serious we need to look at.
It DOES take a village.
Instead of sneering, we all need to hold out a hand and help out with these issues.
When you walk down Main St., don't turn the other cheek or look down when walking by the "people" who loiter there.
Show them that we all care and take pride in our village, but most importantly, that we are all on the same page and have shared goals.
Give them hope.
Not that I agree with the cart use, but seriously, when was the last time one of you dolled out some taxi money or asked one of the "cart" people if he/she needed a ride, some help, etc.?
I've done it.
We all need to start practicing random acts of kindness and living a life of GRATITUDE not ATTITUDE.
Just saying.
We can't keep putting a bandaide on a larger, more serious issue facing our community.
damn, i haven't thought like that in awhile. thanks for bringing me down off my high horse. i hope that this has the same effect on other folks too. a little humility goes a long way, thanks again.
scumnuts

Little Falls, NY

#16 May 23, 2011
Cart wrote:
<quoted text>
It DOES take a village.
Give them hope.
I've done it.
Just saying.
Its doubtful you've ever helped anyone a day in your life

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#17 May 23, 2011
Cart wrote:
<quoted text>
It DOES take a village.
Give them hope.
I've done it.
Just saying.
it's an attitude like yours that is one of the biggest problems. you talk about people with Mental health issues, abject poverty, and abuse issues. obviously you either don't look very close, or you haven't lived in this area very long. let me tell you what most people see when they pass a cart pusher. a lot of them are college students, who are just to damn lazy to carry a bag back to there apartment. most are the same families of welfare trash that we have delt with for the past 30 years. first them, then their children, and now even grand children. i bet most of us in this area could name at least 5 families with 3 or more generations of welfare abuse. these poor sick abused people you speak of are mayby 1 out of every 30 cart pushers.
then you say, "When you walk down Main St., don't turn the other cheek or look down when walking by the "people" who loiter there. Look them in the eyes and say HELLO.Show them that we all care and take pride in our village, but most importantly, that we are all on the same page and have shared goals." heres the problem with that ignorant statement. 1. who in their right mind would walk down main st. these days? 2. look them in the eye? are you crazy? i would no more look that trash in the eye, than i would any other wild animal. 3. on the same page? i'm not on the same page with any of that welfare scum, and i don't know anyone other than you who has such low self esteem, that they would compare themselves to that trash. 4. shared goals? those things have no goals, unless ruining main st. is a goal.
the laughable part of your post is the part where you say, "Therefore but for the grace of God go I. grace of god? are you kidding? god didn't put me through school, god didn't give me a job. god didn't instill in me the drive to work hard, my parents did. god didn't do these things for me, anymore than he hindered the progress of the local welfare scum.
as far as "lending a hand", or "a random act of kindess", i do those things everytime i pay my taxes so that garbage can eat for
free, have a cell phone for free, have free housing, and free medical. i also provide them with free police service, and fire service. i would say that was pretty kind of me.
Cart

Herkimer, NY

#18 May 23, 2011
calmn cents wrote:
<quoted text>
it's an attitude like yours that is one of the biggest problems. you talk about people with Mental health issues, abject poverty, and abuse issues. obviously you either don't look very close, or you haven't lived in this area very long. let me tell you what most people see when they pass a cart pusher. a lot of them are college students, who are just to damn lazy to carry a bag back to there apartment. most are the same families of welfare trash that we have delt with for the past 30 years. first them, then their children, and now even grand children. i bet most of us in this area could name at least 5 families with 3 or more generations of welfare abuse. these poor sick abused people you speak of are mayby 1 out of every 30 cart pushers.
then you say, "When you walk down Main St., don't turn the other cheek or look down when walking by the "people" who loiter there. Look them in the eyes and say HELLO.Show them that we all care and take pride in our village, but most importantly, that we are all on the same page and have shared goals." heres the problem with that ignorant statement. 1. who in their right mind would walk down main st. these days? 2. look them in the eye? are you crazy? i would no more look that trash in the eye, than i would any other wild animal. 3. on the same page? i'm not on the same page with any of that welfare scum, and i don't know anyone other than you who has such low self esteem, that they would compare themselves to that trash. 4. shared goals? those things have no goals, unless ruining main st. is a goal.
the laughable part of your post is the part where you say, "Therefore but for the grace of God go I. grace of god? are you kidding? god didn't put me through school, god didn't give me a job. god didn't instill in me the drive to work hard, my parents did. god didn't do these things for me, anymore than he hindered the progress of the local welfare scum.
as far as "lending a hand", or "a random act of kindess", i do those things everytime i pay my taxes so that garbage can eat for
free, have a cell phone for free, have free housing, and free medical. i also provide them with free police service, and fire service. i would say that was pretty kind of me.
Like I said, Find God.
Your hatred spilleth over.
May God Bless YOU.
Cart

Herkimer, NY

#19 May 23, 2011
scumnuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Its doubtful you've ever helped anyone a day in your life
I'll send blessings and love your way.
Clearly, you need them.

Since: May 07

Fairfield, NY

#20 May 23, 2011
Last I heard the Village is considering impounding the carts under abandoned property law and making the stores pay to get them back. Cart theft is ignored by everyone in Herkimer and the stores won't prosecute their own customers. So the Village might just go with impounding them and forget the tickets. The carts look like crap. I saw one yesterday in the West Canada by the bridge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shooting on harter street 9 min Johnny Jihadi 6
international gold platform 4 hr lydia Chou 1
Teachers, Students Call For Governor Cuomo To F... 7 hr Just sayin 260
brennan the judge 9 hr SoStupid 97
YOU CAN BE the mayor of herkimer and lead a bu... 23 hr Johnny Jihadi 2
Who really runs the Village Sat spock neutering ... 26
think SPRING lets have a raffle GLORY DAZE.. KU... Sat areuda fooll 1
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web