Belly Up Pub opening up in the old Al...

Belly Up Pub opening up in the old Albany St. Cafe?

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Big M Shopper

New York, NY

#1 Jun 6, 2012
Just saw the sign to that effect on the door today. I am going to assume that it wasn't a prank.

Topix is probably the worst possible site in the world to ask any serious question, but does anyone know who'll be operating this place?

I'm hopeful that it's going to happen for real, and that the place can represent the only bar in this God-forsaken shit-hole of a town that someone would actually deign to ask a date to for a pleasant drink, and possibly something decent to eat.(Right now we have Applebee's and Pete's, two dismal choices for very different reasons.)
Herkimer Resident

Utica, NY

#2 Jun 6, 2012
Amy Mosher is opening it up. She also owns the hot spot!
really

Lake Placid, NY

#3 Jun 6, 2012
With a name like Belly Up Pub, you would want to take a date???
yours truly

Syracuse, NY

#4 Jun 6, 2012
I think it will be a great bar/resturant and Amy is a excellent business owner so Im sure it will be the highlight of the Village!
hair dew

Mechanicville, NY

#5 Jun 6, 2012
thats all we need is another bar in this village....it wont last long.....she should concentrate on getting better looking hair stylists instead of those hoggers.....shes not the sharpest tool in the shed
yes

United States

#7 Jun 6, 2012
Of corse u have negative things to say why wouldn't u... This site is only negative! I think we do need another bar all there r is dumps for bars! I'd love to get a drink in a clean bar around here! She will do great and ur obv jealous if u have to degrade her workers! Get a life... Or maybe a job... And I'm sure u will be a regular at that bar using your public assistance money on our tax dollars
Eric

Syracuse, NY

#8 Jun 6, 2012
Yes, the old fallback...everyone is jealous of everyone. blah blah blah
lol
Its a fact, her workers on the commercial are fat, nasty pigs.
Deal with it.
If her bar workers are the same type, she wont last long.
future patrons

New York, NY

#9 Jun 6, 2012
this is great news. the charmless hellhole called Herkimer sorely needs a decent community pub for a date or evening with friends while enjoying cocktails a bite to eat and ballgame on big screen TVs.

i do think the name however "Belly Up Pub" is not the greatest.

the thing is, a LOT of people around here have big bellies, why point out an unattractive physical feature? I for one am sick of looking at big bellies, ick!

big bellies are even worse if they don't have a shirt covering up the flab!

i would consider instead the "Paradise Pub" or some other name, thank you Amy!
amy

Mechanicville, NY

#10 Jun 6, 2012
belly up ...dam right everyone of my workers including me is belllllllyyyyy upppp
Calm Down

New York, NY

#11 Jun 6, 2012
Calm down. The new owner is just forshadowning his/her own future! That's all.
Waterfront

New York, NY

#12 Jun 6, 2012
A new place for Marc (the drunk) Butler to dress up and hang out. See you all at the ribbon cutting.
Big M Shopper

New York, NY

#13 Jun 6, 2012
I don't know "Amy" (if the above is correct), but if she's the person who operates the Hot Spot, she already manages to run a polished business in this barren wasteland we call Herkimer.(Yes, I've been to the HS several times, and was always dealed-with professionally.)

I'm guessing that she'll make a good run at opening a pub that will be the one place in town that is not an abject embarrassment.(Hope so, anyway.)

I'll certainly support it, if it's not full of the usual alcoholic losers one sees around town, looking to "borrow" money from strangers and to drink themselves mindless on the cheap.

There are still people around here who work for a living, and make decent money. I hope she targets this shrinking demographic. It could work!
future patrons

New York, NY

#14 Jun 7, 2012
Big M Shopper wrote:
I don't know "Amy" (if the above is correct), but if she's the person who operates the Hot Spot, she already manages to run a polished business in this barren wasteland we call Herkimer.(Yes, I've been to the HS several times, and was always dealed-with professionally.)
I'm guessing that she'll make a good run at opening a pub that will be the one place in town that is not an abject embarrassment.(Hope so, anyway.)
I'll certainly support it, if it's not full of the usual alcoholic losers one sees around town, looking to "borrow" money from strangers and to drink themselves mindless on the cheap.
There are still people around here who work for a living, and make decent money. I hope she targets this shrinking demographic. It could work!
we completely agree. this Godforsaken sinkhole has not one single bar / restaurant that serves the post 9 p.m. crowd with food AND drink that is not named Applebee's.

the opportunity to do a brisk business is there but other establishments have ignored it, namely the Mohawk Station (a disappointment in most respects), the Silverado and the Waterfront.

Hopefully Ms. Mosher is a businesswoman with vision who can capitalize on this underserved market. Significant Other & I, and family and friends, would enthusiatically support such an establishment.

as it is we often make the drive to Utica to patronize pubs there as do many other people simply because of the absence of a proper local tavern.

One thing Ms Mosher should do is tear out those elevated booths in the bar area of the old Albany St, they just make the place feel compartmentalized & claustrophobic. more room for socializing and lively atmosphere with open space and tables.
Big M Shopper

New York, NY

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Well, she *could* decide to tear them out, but I kind of like having a fairly private area to talk when I want one.

In any case, it's going to be nice to see something opening as opposed to another place going "belly-up".
(Yes, I would reconsider the naming of that place, as appropriate as it is for woeful Herkimer.)
help

Wilbraham, MA

#16 Jun 8, 2012
I love the name. I think it's catchy and comical. And makes absolute sense!!
The Nose Knows

Durhamville, NY

#17 Jun 8, 2012
I believe that the booths that someone referred to are the original booths from the Dineen's days. I think they add character. Plus it's a great positive tip off that the pub isn't just a plastic chain restaurant.
hang on to your hat

New York, NY

#18 Jun 8, 2012
future patrons wrote:
<quoted text>
we completely agree. this Godforsaken sinkhole has not one single bar / restaurant that serves the post 9 p.m. crowd with food AND drink that is not named Applebee's.
the opportunity to do a brisk business is there but other establishments have ignored it, namely the Mohawk Station (a disappointment in most respects), the Silverado and the Waterfront.
Hopefully Ms. Mosher is a businesswoman with vision who can capitalize on this underserved market. Significant Other & I, and family and friends, would enthusiatically support such an establishment.
as it is we often make the drive to Utica to patronize pubs there as do many other people simply because of the absence of a proper local tavern.
One thing Ms Mosher should do is tear out those elevated booths in the bar area of the old Albany St, they just make the place feel compartmentalized & claustrophobic. more room for socializing and lively atmosphere with open space and tables.
First of all we have a while to wait. It takes an average of seven months to get a liquor license.

Next I guessing the rent is about 3K a month plus National Grid another 2K+ and keep adding...Payroll and all of the wonderful expenses associated with that each week. What will payroll be a week, 2-3K? How about insurance, Time Warner, trash collection, don't forget employee theft, to name a few. What’s left is for owner.

Now when the "dust settles" how much will a joint be grossing a week in Herkimer? If you gross 10K, after product costs and sales tax what do you have left, do you have 5k, less? I'm thinking at 10K at week you'll need to pull a G or more out of your pocket to make ends meet. I don't think an owner will be able to draw $500 a week until grossing 15K a week…ouch.

In this situation you need to own the building, period.
Eileen

AOL

#19 Jun 8, 2012
As someone who hasn't been back to the old home town in a long time, what happened to the Waterfront? And isn't the Crystal Chandelier still a decent place to get a drink and something to eat?
Wellnow

Syracuse, NY

#20 Jun 8, 2012
That depends if your looking for a mild case of the chits or full blown dysentery.
former bar owner

New York, NY

#21 Jun 8, 2012
hang on to your hat wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all we have a while to wait. It takes an average of seven months to get a liquor license.
Next I guessing the rent is about 3K a month plus National Grid another 2K+ and keep adding...Payroll and all of the wonderful expenses associated with that each week. What will payroll be a week, 2-3K? How about insurance, Time Warner, trash collection, don't forget employee theft, to name a few. What’s left is for owner.
Now when the "dust settles" how much will a joint be grossing a week in Herkimer? If you gross 10K, after product costs and sales tax what do you have left, do you have 5k, less? I'm thinking at 10K at week you'll need to pull a G or more out of your pocket to make ends meet. I don't think an owner will be able to draw $500 a week until grossing 15K a week…ouch.
In this situation you need to own the building, period.
3k a week for rent in herkimer you are not even close?....that dump is worth 1500 tops....i could run that place 6500 a month easily all expenses payroll etc....the market in herkimer is very small and the number failure of business is mis managment....but she will have to make a choice either gonna be a bar or a restaurant...isnt really a happy medium esp in herkimer!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Herkimer Forum (Jul '10) 33 min LMAO 12
skanks in herk 1 hr Nasty 26
Empire Diner 1 hr Not_Happy_With_Se... 8
Budget vote, East Herkimer and Pizza 2 hr No no no no 62
New Director Herkimer county IDA 3 hr Monster 38
Burger King 3 hr tatts 10
Herkimer County Humane Society 19 hr Taxpayer 54
More from around the web

Herkimer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE