Smoking Cigarettes Versus Drinking Alcohol

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Feb 17, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
smoker

Constableville, NY

#1 Feb 22, 2010
drinking causes,hepatitis,hippocampus,o steoporosis,damaged nerve tissues,can cause alcohol poisoning, which can lead to coma or even death,Drinking alcohol can cause cancer,and cause the breakup of marrages and loss of job.Drunk drivers kill an estimated 23000 Americans a year.You never heard that a smoker caused a head on collission,or a breakup of a marrage
I Hate Cig smoke smell

Rochester, NY

#2 Feb 23, 2010
smoker wrote:
drinking causes,hepatitis,hippocampus,o steoporosis,damaged nerve tissues,can cause alcohol poisoning, which can lead to coma or even death,Drinking alcohol can cause cancer,and cause the breakup of marrages and loss of job.Drunk drivers kill an estimated 23000 Americans a year.You never heard that a smoker caused a head on collission,or a breakup of a marrage
YOU are a BOCES Tard.
There have been accidents where a driver was too busy trying to light a cig, or he dropped his lighter on the floor and was looking down trying to find it. Or an ash or butt landed in their lap and were busy trying to put it out and crossed into the other lane.
And couples HAVE broken up due to one of them starting smoking or not quitting.

What do I see around the entrance of bars and other businesses? Not empty beer cans/bottles or liquor bottles, I see cig butts, pretty disgusting. I see drivers flicking out their used butts everyday, I can't remember the last time I saw an empty beer can fly out a car window.
I don't see people able to turn in their used butts for money back like empties
Smokers Unite

Tully, NY

#3 Feb 23, 2010
When you have three family members die as a result of a drunk driver crashing into them, then you will know the true effects of drunk driving. And yes, there have been accidents where drivers weren't paying attention to the road for whatever reason, but drunk drivers are the main cause of vehicular deaths.

Also, you obviously don't walk around town very much if you don't see beer cans/bottles and liquor bottles all around. We live just outside of Ilion and I am constantly having to pick up empty beer/liquor bottles around my property. Very rarely do I see a cigarette butt.
Face to Palm

Emmitsburg, MD

#4 Feb 23, 2010
smoker wrote:
drinking causes,hepatitis,hippocampus,o steoporosis,damaged nerve tissues,can cause alcohol poisoning, which can lead to coma or even death,Drinking alcohol can cause cancer,and cause the breakup of marrages and loss of job.Drunk drivers kill an estimated 23000 Americans a year.You never heard that a smoker caused a head on collission,or a breakup of a marrage
Smokers kill everyone with second hand smoke, They try to sneak out of work to take care of their craving taking many mini breaks during the course of the work day , They and the innocent people exposed to second hand smoke get lung, throat, mouth and esophageal cancer. Their teeth, and hands turn yellow as do their walls of their homes. Their clothes, car and anything they come into contact with smell like an ashtray. They burn their homes down and kill everyone in the home when they fall asleep smoking.
They get emphysema, Bronchitis, Asthma, and eventually end up with COPD, Heart Disease, and peripheral vascular disease.
Would you like me to keep going????????

Don't try to make smoking look like it doesn't cause problems, it's a dirty disgusting habit that kills
Face to Palm

Emmitsburg, MD

#5 Feb 23, 2010
Smokers Unite wrote:
When you have three family members die as a result of a drunk driver crashing into them, then you will know the true effects of drunk driving. And yes, there have been accidents where drivers weren't paying attention to the road for whatever reason, but drunk drivers are the main cause of vehicular deaths.
Also, you obviously don't walk around town very much if you don't see beer cans/bottles and liquor bottles all around. We live just outside of Ilion and I am constantly having to pick up empty beer/liquor bottles around my property. Very rarely do I see a cigarette butt.
Drunk drivers are scum in my book with smokers who try to sell smoking as nothing wrong with it a close second.
Nicotine is a very power addictive drug thats why none of you can stop. Your lungs and trachea are lined with microscopic hair follicles called cilia. Cilia move rapid like tiny fingers in your lungs to push all the junk up to your throat so you can cough up anything you need to. When you smoke the cilia get paralyzed and stop working up to 24hrs, when they restart usually in the morning because you didn't smoke all night you cough up all the brown and black nasty stuff that was stuck in there all day. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again, you smoke they stop working and so on. Over the course of 30 yrs of this puts you and anyone who was exposed to the smoke at risk for cancer.

Smoke = carbon dioxide
Smokers Unite

Tully, NY

#6 Feb 23, 2010
Well, been smoking for over 40 years and, according to my doctor, am in excellent health. Parents have been smoking for over 60 and both of them still healthy, considering their age. Not one person in my family has ever had cancer, nor any type of lung problem and just about all (siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) smoke. Have even had doctors tell us that all the hype on cigarettes is unfounded, and no they didn't smoke themselves.

Like I said, have had three young family members killed by a drunk driver. I'll take a smoker any day over a friggin' drunk.
Face to Palm

Emmitsburg, MD

#7 Feb 23, 2010
Smokers Unite wrote:
Well, been smoking for over 40 years and, according to my doctor, am in excellent health. Parents have been smoking for over 60 and both of them still healthy, considering their age. Not one person in my family has ever had cancer, nor any type of lung problem and just about all (siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) smoke. Have even had doctors tell us that all the hype on cigarettes is unfounded, and no they didn't smoke themselves.
Like I said, have had three young family members killed by a drunk driver. I'll take a smoker any day over a friggin' drunk.
I don't believe your Dr said your in good health nor are your parents lets get real. My mother had lung cancer after smoking for 40 yrs and my Father died of Heart disease manifested by smoking. I worked in a trauma center for 10 yrs I know the effects drunk drivers have on our society but to try to say smoking is better for you is just an uneducated redneck response
Face to Palm

Emmitsburg, MD

#8 Feb 23, 2010
Smokers Unite wrote:
Well, been smoking for over 40 years and, according to my doctor, am in excellent health. Parents have been smoking for over 60 and both of them still healthy, considering their age. Not one person in my family has ever had cancer, nor any type of lung problem and just about all (siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) smoke. Have even had doctors tell us that all the hype on cigarettes is unfounded, and no they didn't smoke themselves.
Like I said, have had three young family members killed by a drunk driver. I'll take a smoker any day over a friggin' drunk.
Please educate yourself I've even done the work for you
Pay particular attention to this line

----------

How does smoking cause illness and death?

About half of all Americans who keep smoking will die because of the habit. Each year about 443,600 people in the United States die from illnesses related to tobacco use. Smoking cigarettes kills more Americans than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide, and illegal drugs combined.

Go to this website and get educated

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED...
your a moron

Oneida, NY

#9 Feb 23, 2010
anyone can post anything on any web site and disclaim or prove any thing they want...hmm its called cancer.org without looking im sure they hate cigs...thats like going to the KKK website and looking for something positive about african americans. why dont you look and see who donates money to this website and you'll soon find out where those perposterus lies are coming from..i smoke, i dont drink i really dont care if you like the fact i smoke outside establishments, cause guess what i used to be able to smoke INSIDE but some ppl cried so now i've gotta deal with it outside..you say your father got heart disease manifested by smoking, wheres the facts on that? is that what the doctor told you? cause they really have no clue what manifested it, they have there ideas but they can't prove 100% that its from smoking, it could be part of the cause, it could be none of the cause, it could be the whole cause but for you to say that is just insane..you say you worked in a trauma unit for 10 years and saying smoking is better than drinking is an uneducated redneck response...well i think your response is an educated retards response..try this...go fk yourself and die
FAce to Palm

Gaithersburg, MD

#10 Feb 25, 2010
your a moron wrote:
anyone can post anything on any web site and disclaim or prove any thing they want...hmm its called cancer.org without looking im sure they hate cigs...thats like going to the KKK website and looking for something positive about african americans. why dont you look and see who donates money to this website and you'll soon find out where those perposterus lies are coming from..i smoke, i dont drink i really dont care if you like the fact i smoke outside establishments, cause guess what i used to be able to smoke INSIDE but some ppl cried so now i've gotta deal with it outside..you say your father got heart disease manifested by smoking, wheres the facts on that? is that what the doctor told you? cause they really have no clue what manifested it, they have there ideas but they can't prove 100% that its from smoking, it could be part of the cause, it could be none of the cause, it could be the whole cause but for you to say that is just insane..you say you worked in a trauma unit for 10 years and saying smoking is better than drinking is an uneducated redneck response...well i think your response is an educated retards response..try this...go fk yourself and die
Yes I'm sure the American Cancer Society just puts up stuff on their website that are blatant lies because it will benefit them.
Your answer to me shows nicotine rules your life and has made you delusional.
And yes you are an uneducated redneck
Here4Life

Rockland, ME

#11 Feb 25, 2010
I still drink from time to time, but I quit smoking years ago. I could never stand the smell of beer breath or cigarettes. What is worse you ask? In my opinion...they're both bad!
your a moron

Oneida, NY

#12 Feb 25, 2010
ok, so you think that nicotine makes me delusional? wtf is that...and YES they would post things just to benefit themselves, if you dont believe that, then just go kill yourself, right now! i've had family die from cancer, i've felt its pain. you say im uneducated, thats usually what people do when they have no real argument, bring it to a personal level because you have nothing worth saying. every foundation for every disease wants to maximize there potential to cure said disease, so if they throw in some lies to get people on there side who does it hurt? i mean this is a foundation thats trying to help people, so what if they lie...americans donated 100mil to haiti relief effort via the red cross, of that money 18mil actually went to haiti, similiar thing happened years back and the president of the red cross was forced to quit for misleading people into donating money for this relief fund when barely any of it actually made it to its intended location...so go ahead just believe everything on the web/tv blindly dont do any research on the subject yourself, and keep coming on topix and make yourself look like a total fool.
Here4Life

Rockland, ME

#13 Feb 25, 2010
your a moron wrote:
ok, so you think that nicotine makes me delusional? wtf is that...and YES they would post things just to benefit themselves, if you dont believe that, then just go kill yourself, right now! i've had family die from cancer, i've felt its pain. you say im uneducated, thats usually what people do when they have no real argument, bring it to a personal level because you have nothing worth saying. every foundation for every disease wants to maximize there potential to cure said disease, so if they throw in some lies to get people on there side who does it hurt? i mean this is a foundation thats trying to help people, so what if they lie...americans donated 100mil to haiti relief effort via the red cross, of that money 18mil actually went to haiti, similiar thing happened years back and the president of the red cross was forced to quit for misleading people into donating money for this relief fund when barely any of it actually made it to its intended location...so go ahead just believe everything on the web/tv blindly dont do any research on the subject yourself, and keep coming on topix and make yourself look like a total fool.
I totally agree with you 100% on this, b/c it is true!
your a moron

Oneida, NY

#14 Feb 25, 2010
well thank you finally someone with some sense, i do not drink either, but i do smoke, i work hard, i pay my taxes, and for that i've gotta stand outside when i smoke, i understand its unhealthy but theres much much MUCH worse out there.
Here4Life

Rockland, ME

#15 Feb 26, 2010
your a moron wrote:
well thank you finally someone with some sense, i do not drink either, but i do smoke, i work hard, i pay my taxes, and for that i've gotta stand outside when i smoke, i understand its unhealthy but theres much much MUCH worse out there.
Very true again!
smoker

Houston, TX

#17 May 15, 2012
The ignorant comments on this board are amazing. Name-calling is not a very convincing form of argument. Sounds like a bunch of 12-year-olds. Soda cans, beer and liquor bottles are a major source of litter in today's urban settings; tobacco is a leading cause of cancer and other health-realted issues; yet the FACT is smokers are treated in this culture like 2nd-class citizens, forced to pay higher insurance premiums, taxes, etc. Alcohol consumption is socially encouraged and for many merchants, extremely profitable, yet leads to millions of highway deaths each year and untold medical expences in related disease. Yet how many drinkers are asked to consume their alchohol 25 feet from a doorway, or are refused housing or employment simply for smoking a cigarett. The extent to which abusive drinkers effect the lives of others FAR outweighs the negative impact smokers allegedly have on their surroundings. Yet which of the two is socially acceptable? Get real with the FACTS.
are you kidding

Liverpool, NY

#18 May 15, 2012
smoker wrote:
The ignorant comments on this board are amazing. Name-calling is not a very convincing form of argument. Sounds like a bunch of 12-year-olds. Soda cans, beer and liquor bottles are a major source of litter in today's urban settings; tobacco is a leading cause of cancer and other health-realted issues; yet the FACT is smokers are treated in this culture like 2nd-class citizens, forced to pay higher insurance premiums, taxes, etc. Alcohol consumption is socially encouraged and for many merchants, extremely profitable, yet leads to millions of highway deaths each year and untold medical expences in related disease. Yet how many drinkers are asked to consume their alchohol 25 feet from a doorway, or are refused housing or employment simply for smoking a cigarett. The extent to which abusive drinkers effect the lives of others FAR outweighs the negative impact smokers allegedly have on their surroundings. Yet which of the two is socially acceptable? Get real with the FACTS.
Impossible to defend smoking...simply impossible. There is no argument. You can't smoke where people are allowed to drink, get it???
nom nom

Raynham, MA

#19 May 17, 2012
smoker wrote:
The ignorant comments on this board are amazing. Name-calling is not a very convincing form of argument. Sounds like a bunch of 12-year-olds. Soda cans, beer and liquor bottles are a major source of litter in today's urban settings; tobacco is a leading cause of cancer and other health-realted issues; yet the FACT is smokers are treated in this culture like 2nd-class citizens, forced to pay higher insurance premiums, taxes, etc. Alcohol consumption is socially encouraged and for many merchants, extremely profitable, yet leads to millions of highway deaths each year and untold medical expences in related disease. Yet how many drinkers are asked to consume their alchohol 25 feet from a doorway, or are refused housing or employment simply for smoking a cigarett. The extent to which abusive drinkers effect the lives of others FAR outweighs the negative impact smokers allegedly have on their surroundings. Yet which of the two is socially acceptable? Get real with the FACTS.
Agreed, neither is healthy but smokers are treated as 2nd class citizens these days.
SHOCKING

New York, NY

#20 May 17, 2012
nom nom wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, neither is healthy but smokers are treated as 2nd class citizens these days.
And this surprises you why?
Ted

Fresh Meadows, NY

#21 Feb 15, 2013
How about this? Neither smoking or drinking is good for you! End of story.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Legal Incense show up on a drug test? (Aug '11) 8 min RufutableInk 286
How to get out of a DWI in Herkimer County 1 hr zzzzzzzzz 20
WHAT'S will all the POLICE PRESENCE on GERMAN S... 1 hr horse hung muslum 4
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 2 hr Pugs 16,780
Edwards or Carbone for Town Clerk 18 hr oh boy 46
babysitter 20 hr herkimer 10
Adult Pleasures in Little Falls (Feb '10) Thu gross 14
•••
•••
•••

Herkimer Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Herkimer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Herkimer News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Herkimer
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••