Lovhiers dairy in herkimer mid 1970's
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Manleys sauce

Chesapeake, VA

#63 Dec 22, 2009
Goofydukke wrote:
ok i found the recipe for mexican sauce the way we made it at the snack bar.I would put it in a big pot and let it simmer 4 cups of ketchup,2 cans of #2 can of tomato juice,2 good size onion diced,4 lg. green peppers diced,2 teaspoon of worstershire sauce,1 teaspoon dry mustard.salt pepper and thyme leaves and add 4 cherry peppers.
This is NOT the original Manley's Mexican sauce receipe. You can find it in the St Peter and Paul cook book. No tomato juice is used - tomato sauce instead, no worchestershire sauce or mustart or thyme leaves or cherry peppers. There is also one secret ingredient. I just finished canning 3 doz. jars of the sauce this morning for christmas presents.
Phyllis from Virginia

Suffolk, VA

#65 Dec 22, 2009
Manleys sauce wrote:
<quoted text>
This is NOT the original Manley's Mexican sauce receipe. You can find it in the St Peter and Paul cook book. No tomato juice is used - tomato sauce instead, no worchestershire sauce or mustart or thyme leaves or cherry peppers. There is also one secret ingredient. I just finished canning 3 doz. jars of the sauce this morning for christmas presents.
Hello neighbor!! I think we may know some of the same people back home. Merry Christmas.
got gas

United States

#66 Dec 22, 2009
the reason mungers was so great was they sold items of LEATHER and cloth
NOT PLASTIC..and what kid didnt get mom a present from the round display cases at the entrance near Christmas time..??
(first time i ever saw chocolate covered ant candy..)
it was another world..
sweetmill

New York, NY

#67 Dec 23, 2009
can you please post the mix for the sauce ,some of us may not be able to get the book
Manleys sauce

Chesapeake, VA

#68 Dec 23, 2009
Phyllis from Virginia wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello neighbor!! I think we may know some of the same people back home. Merry Christmas.
Thanks! Same to you Phyllis....
Bob

Great Barrington, MA

#69 Jan 30, 2010
I think wrote:
<quoted text>
Never had the 'blue moon'. but the Orange Pineapple... oh my God.
The Blue Moon was Orange Pineapple with blue food coloring.
wanted

Saranac Lake, NY

#70 Apr 2, 2010
anyoone have an idea of how to make this sauce from loviers?
RATSKELLER

Constableville, NY

#71 Apr 2, 2010
if i can stay sober long enough at my niece's house this weekend i'll try.to get a look at the cookbook
wanted

Saranac Lake, NY

#72 Apr 10, 2010
di yo umake it sober
old herkimerite

Newark, NY

#73 Apr 21, 2010
Manleys sauce wrote:
<quoted text>
Manleys Mexican was a sauce NOT hamburg with peppers and onions in it.
THE ORIGINAL MANLEY'S WAS DOWN BY THE THRUWAY ENTRANCE UNTIL THE THRUWAY CAME THROUGH.THAT AREA WAS ALSO WHERE THE HERK.POOL AND THE OLD FAIRGROUNDS WERE.[EARLY 50'S]
Former Employee

Baton Rouge, LA

#74 Aug 20, 2010
Goofydukke wrote:
Yes i do remember those milk trucks i use to ride in them.I had to sit on milk crates while my dad drove standing up they were blue and white.And does anyone remember blue moon ice cream?
The Blue Moon ice cream was Orange Pineapple with blue food coloring.
Former Valley Girl

Smithfield, VA

#75 Aug 30, 2010
old herkimerite wrote:
<quoted text> THE ORIGINAL MANLEY'S WAS DOWN BY THE THRUWAY ENTRANCE UNTIL THE THRUWAY CAME THROUGH.THAT AREA WAS ALSO WHERE THE HERK.POOL AND THE OLD FAIRGROUNDS WERE.[EARLY 50'S]
I remember my father talking about the old pool and the fairgrounds. Thank you for placing Manley's..I couldn't remember exactly where is was located. As a small child, I remember going there on a hot summer's night back in the 50s. Wonderful aroma and gteat hot dogs with mustard.
Larry Shaffer

Brooklyn, NY

#76 Sep 29, 2012
I worked for Little Joe and Betty MALOWSKI during the 1960s. Wonderful people making a great product with tremendous pride. After the service, I went to work for Ray Wiers and the Wiers brothers delivering milk for Lovier's. Ray, Fred and Bobby were great people to work for. Little Joe sold some stainless steel ice cream counters to LovIer's when he went out of business. The two businesses were not affiliated but shared strong values
Licker

Little Falls, NY

#77 Nov 3, 2012
They had the best ice cream there, ahhhh the good old days
Mike LaFountain

West Palm Beach, FL

#78 Dec 13, 2012
My dad used to get milk for the grocery store (G & A Superette) from them.
Rocky Fiato

New York, NY

#79 Dec 13, 2012
I used to milk the cows for Lovier's milk when I was a young boy. It was then that I developed my love for suckling cow teats. I love to take the hot fleshy cylinder into my mouth and let it squirt the hot milk all over my face. Oh the good old days at Lovier's.
Larry Shaffer

Farmington, MI

#80 Jun 20, 2013
Well, I actually delivered milk with a Divco for both Little Joe's and for Ray Wiers of Lovier's. I worked as a "jumper" off the milk truck at Little Joe's for Jerry Lynch....great fun. After I got out of the Army, I delivered milk for three years for Lovier's. Ray Wiers was a terrific guy. When my son, Erik, was born in 1971, Ray and his wife Irene, came to our apartment located on Smokey Run in Ilion and gave us a crib, changing table and other accessories. Just great people!
Larry Shaffer

Farmington, MI

#81 Jun 20, 2013
Rocky Fiato wrote:
I used to milk the cows for Lovier's milk when I was a young boy. It was then that I developed my love for suckling cow teats. I love to take the hot fleshy cylinder into my mouth and let it squirt the hot milk all over my face. Oh the good old days at Lovier's.
That wasn't the only thing squirted on your face, Rocky. As I recall, you were the perfect height to receive such treatment

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
highway men motorcycle club 12 hr biker babe 15
Herkimer County Sheriff Debate 16 hr Jim PalumNO 24
Mysteries of the universe with busy mom (May '13) Thu busy mom 93
DA and judge get ready Thu GoodOlBoys 2
News Nurse admits covering up sexual abuse, neglect ... Aug 27 family member 4
herkimer school board cry babies Aug 27 Johnny Rah-rah 9
Why would he Aug 26 reality check 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages