Lovhiers dairy in herkimer mid 1970's

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
jacob

Canastota, NY

#1 Nov 21, 2009
not sure if that is the right spelling used to be next to what is now TJ's produce , remembered the mexican cheeseburgers they had , wish i could find the recipe for the sauce
Got Gas

Auburn, NY

#2 Nov 21, 2009
spelling was ? loviers dairy bar? i always confused it with dairy other side of the bowling alley. did regular dairy market.try the old timers net here on herkimer about past businesses
loviers dairy

United States

#3 Nov 21, 2009
the drive in next to LOVIERS DAIRY was operated by Gordy Turner,now down by Hannafords. It was his recipe. the dairy only had the dairy store and ice cream stand,but owned the building. The dairy by the bowling alley was "Little Joes"
got gas

Auburn, NY

#4 Nov 21, 2009
joe malinowski ??? had the dairy on back of bowling alley ??
been a long time. BEEN WAY TOO LONG..loviers was on caroline ??(TJ's??) then turner has place by west canada creek ?? now?? REALLY CONFUSED and TOO OLD.. all i remember is sister loved the pistaschio ice cream there in 50's
Almost

West Monroe, NY

#5 Nov 22, 2009
It was Joe Malowski and his wife Betty that had Little Joe's. Remember going on class trips to the dairy to see how they processed the milk. OMG now I am dating myself. I also remember the pistaschio ice cream and it was great.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#6 Nov 22, 2009
The receipe for the Mexican Sauce can be found in the St. Peter and Paul Church ccokbook. It's phenomenal. I'm getting ready to make some this next weekend for Christmas gifts.
jacob

Oriskany Falls, NY

#7 Nov 22, 2009
where would one find this cookbook ?
Cookie

Boise, ID

#8 Nov 22, 2009
Mexican Hot Sauce
Saute 2 green peppers (chopped)
with 1 large onion (chopped)in butter or oil.
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Add Crushed Red Hot Pepper.
When soft, add 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar & Juice squeezed from Whole Lemon.
Then add 14 ounce bottle of ketchup and half filled bottle of water and simmer for 20 minutes.
You may add chopped fresh Cilantro, if desired.
This is good on Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Tacos, Steak Sandwiches, etc.
This recipe can be altered by adding mor peppers, jalapenoes, onions and larger bottle of ketchup. Never fails.
HA HA HA

Cicero, NY

#9 Nov 22, 2009
Cookie wrote:
Mexican Hot Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Then add 14 ounce bottle of ketchup and half filled bottle of water and simmer for 20 minutes.
This recipe can be altered by adding mor peppers, jalapenoes, onions and larger bottle of ketchup. Never fails.
Nope. That's not it.
Jubbie

Boise, ID

#10 Nov 22, 2009
That is the recipe from the skating rink in Richfield Springs. I got that recipe years ago from Sue. Yummy. I would like the recipe that Marge used to make the chili at Little Joe's. Anyone
Cookie wrote:
Mexican Hot Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste.

Location hidden

#11 Nov 22, 2009
jacob wrote:
where would one find this cookbook ?
The Co-Op in Little Falls at the front counter. I use this cookbook more frequently than any other I own. It's a bit expensive but it's HUGE!! Good luck

Location hidden

#12 Nov 22, 2009
HA HA HA wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. That's not it.
You are correct HA HA HA! The sauce I am referring to is the one from Manley's in Herkimer that has been passed down to several restaurant owners in Herkimer.
jacob

Oriskany Falls, NY

#13 Nov 22, 2009
is that close to what the turners used ? never had the mexicans from richfield
got gas

Auburn, NY

#14 Nov 22, 2009
any good hungarian or slavic recipies in the book?
lost all ours.( l. falls and south side herkimer)..whats the book cost and is store still on the north side of main st.?
Gargamel

Lake Placid, NY

#15 Nov 23, 2009
The co-op has moved into the old church on the corner of Albany & S. William. Subway & the co-op now face each other.
Will

Boise, ID

#16 Nov 23, 2009
huh in LF wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct HA HA HA! The sauce I am referring to is the one from Manley's in Herkimer that has been passed down to several restaurant owners in Herkimer.
Where do you live? Where do you keep the cookbook? When will you be away? Please tell me you do not have a dog.

Location hidden

#17 Nov 23, 2009
Will wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you live? Where do you keep the cookbook? When will you be away? Please tell me you do not have a dog.
Will, thanks so much for the laugh you've provided! One answer for you, the cookbook is kept in an bookcase that is found in the dining room. Oh, I have a big car who will most definately hiss at you :)

Location hidden

#18 Nov 23, 2009
got gas wrote:
any good hungarian or slavic recipies in the book?
lost all ours.( l. falls and south side herkimer)..whats the book cost and is store still on the north side of main st.?
Dear Gas, There are plenty of great slavic recipes inthe book. I know if you go to the Co-Op,there is a big comfy chair you can plop yourself and go through the cookbook to check on what you are looking for. I believe the cost is $20. However, it's a well used cookbook in the household and worth it's cost. Do you need some beano?
Will

Boise, ID

#19 Nov 23, 2009
huh in LF wrote:
<quoted text>
Will, thanks so much for the laugh you've provided! One answer for you, the cookbook is kept in an bookcase that is found in the dining room. Oh, I have a big car who will most definately hiss at you :)
You're welcome. I was just kidding.

Location hidden

#20 Nov 23, 2009
Will wrote:
<quoted text>You're welcome. I was just kidding.
I know Will. However, the cat will still hiss ! Have a great day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ramars liquor 4 hr santa knows 32
Topics Jeopardy 13 hr uncle cracker 9
NBC " a married couple" 15 hr Wow 2
Start Naming all the local low life non paying ... 18 hr Sam 1
Does any one know anything about Nick Leddick (Apr '10) 22 hr Nutcase 23
hey welfare loosers lets get busy 22 hr Illiteratemonkey 6
Herkimer's Village Attorney Fri NotMeNever 10

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance