East Herkimer Bridge
two cents worth

Lambertville, MI

#1 Oct 2, 2008
aka Butt's Bridge ?
two cents worth

Lambertville, MI

#2 Oct 2, 2008
It looks like it could be. Used to jump into West Canada from the top and did make it to the third "hole". Never did the fourth.
Phyllis from Virginia

Suffolk, VA

#3 Oct 2, 2008
Cindy, thank you so much for posting all those wonderful old photos of Herkimer. A sight for sore eyes. I miss the old days.

Thanks again.

#4 Oct 2, 2008
Does anybody know the real name of this bridge? Was it really Butt's?

United States

#5 Oct 2, 2008
all I ever knew it as
Cindy wrote:
Sandra Phillips Conrado

Ocala, FL

#6 Apr 25, 2013
My mother Dorothy Sanderson (Phillips)was on this bridge with her brother George Sanderson around 1915/16.She was 10 or 11 he was 11 or 12.A truck blew a tire that flew into her and knocked her down and tore her dress. People who witnessed it said that she saw the tire coming towards them and pushed him out of the way. She was brusied but okay he had a cut under his chin where he hit the pipe thet ran along the bridge.The newspaper reported it as part of the Police record of the day.She still has the newspaper clipping. Great pictures! My mom and Uncle, Bruce Sanderson, got a kick out of the pictures.Thanks

Saugerties, NY

#7 Oct 27, 2014
Cindy wrote:
It was always Butts Street bridge when I lived there. Local kids called it "the butts". My friend Joe dove off it one day to show it was not an urban legend and to satisfy provoking people. I witnessed it.

Watervliet, NY

#8 Oct 28, 2014
It's true! A lot of kids of different ages jumped off butts bridge. I grew up in herkimer and my brother was 13 when he first jumped. I followed behind and was 11 yrs old. My younger sister also jumped and she was only 7-8 yes old. I jumped mostly because of pier pressure! There would be crowds there watching. The moment I jumped I was sorry but I made it and didn't ever do that again! Scary and Stupid!!
#9 Oct 28, 2014
My brother and others could climb the old cement lamopost stand up and dive from it. I never jumped from the Butts but lived the old bridge. Where ate the pics I don't see them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Herkimer County, Stay tuned, the Friends and Fa... 3 hr KeepWatching 4
spiasks auto 3 hr Best of luck 4
jimmys stuffed shirt (Oct '08) 10 hr pizzaman 16
convicted sex offended next to pure club!! 13 hr dak 1
Poll Trump to monitor Muslums, mosques and have data... Mon Putin says hello 11
Marc Butler heading up the integrity task force... Mon NothingFunny 4
Poll Men, do you pee in the sink? (Aug '09) Nov 27 For the lulz 337
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages