Former Madden Concrete "Quarry" Site On Route 5

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gargamel

Lake Placid, NY

#1 Oct 26, 2010
Any idea who owns the site these days? I tried the online property tax website, but couldn't locate the actual property.

To my knowledge, Madden sold his company to Clemente Fane (sp?), but wasn't sure if the defunct quarry site was included in the sale like the facility in Oriskany was.

Any leads would be appreciated!
Gargamel

Lake Placid, NY

#2 Oct 26, 2010
I should have been more clear above - This is the site on Route 5 in East Herkimer, just past the Cemetery on the left.
Gargasmell

United States

#3 Oct 26, 2010
who cares. Its a dump and nobody is going to clean it up
Gargamel

Lake Placid, NY

#4 Oct 26, 2010
LOL... Obviously, I care, as I wouldn't have created a thread if I didn't.

I'm definitely am not interested in cleaning it up, but would like to inquire about using/renting the site. Hence, I need a contact person to start the process.
Indeed

Chittenango, NY

#5 Oct 26, 2010
Why not call the Town of Herkimer and ask them for assistance? It's not a busy office so they may have time to help you. Good luck!
Gargler

United States

#6 Oct 26, 2010
Gargamel wrote:
LOL... Obviously, I care, as I wouldn't have created a thread if I didn't.
I'm definitely am not interested in cleaning it up, but would like to inquire about using/renting the site. Hence, I need a contact person to start the process.
if you ain't plan on clean it up don't plan on using it..
Gargamel

Lake Placid, NY

#7 Oct 26, 2010
I actually just gave the online system another shot, and found that the Town still shows Madden Construction as the owner.

I do believe that the main office in New Hartford has been closed for some time, but I will drive by tonight on the way home & check it out.
lpool

Canada

#8 Oct 26, 2010
Well went dry. Can't make concrete with no water. When they did have water flow was low and of poor quality.
Gargamel

Constableville, NY

#9 Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the info... Even bigger incentive for them to rent the site out to me for a summer day.. :) It just sits there empty..
lpool

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2010
There is probably a nice gravel bar on the site. There is a bank run pit to the east of that location.
gargon

Little Falls, NY

#11 Oct 26, 2010
lots of toxic debris on the site. You better look elsewhere. The site has been abandoned for a reason
Proteus

Constableville, NY

#12 Oct 26, 2010
Toxic? If you call rocks & gravel toxic, I think we'll be okay... But thanks for your concern.
Pukteus

Wyandanch, NY

#13 Oct 26, 2010
Proteus wrote:
Toxic? If you call rocks & gravel toxic, I think we'll be okay... But thanks for your concern.
the site has been abandoned for a reason. Its a dumping ground. Better check with the EPA. That's why its been blocked off for years.
Gargamel

Constableville, NY

#14 Oct 26, 2010
Pukteus wrote:
<quoted text>
the site has been abandoned for a reason. Its a dumping ground. Better check with the EPA. That's why its been blocked off for years.
It's interesting how so many people know so much about the site!

I took your suggestion, and searched the NYS DEC database for spill, dump or hazardous sites in Herkimer County, and strangely, out of the 32 sites listed, the Madden site isn't on there!

I guess the DEC must have missed it?
name

Burnt Hills, NY

#15 Oct 27, 2010
I had talked to Tim (maybe Tom ) Madden about five years ago and he wanted 250,000 for it. He said Thea well flowed 30 gpm. I don't know if any of what he said was true and likening said that wqas many years ago. I don't know who owns it now.
lpool

United States

#16 Oct 27, 2010
The site is not contaminated. Producing concrete is a high water volume business. The site would probably be fine with a "normal" use. My understanding is that drawn down wells in that area have issues w iron. Making concrete these days is a precision business. Hence the move from that site to Herkimer to be on municipal water.
super

Utica, NY

#17 Oct 27, 2010
go next door to talerico gravel pit and check with him.
Proteus

Lake Placid, NY

#18 Oct 27, 2010
I actually looked at that place on Google Maps, but hadn't given it a whole lot of thought as it looks to be pretty active, plus, I'm not sure if there's enough room for what I'm trying to do.

Might be worth a phone call though...
tax people

Whitesboro, NY

#19 Oct 27, 2010
Herkimer County real property tax department will tell you who owns it. Also try the Herkimer County Treasurer. Thats were the tax bills are paid. Best of Luck on your project.
Proteus

Lake Placid, NY

#20 Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Herkimer County tax info is online, and I did find the owner info. Problem is that the owner's business has closed so I'm digging further on how to contact them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tony Brendisi and the Village Board 3 hr Concerned sheepdog 41
Herkimer Humane Society Should Be at Fault 7 hr sht hits fan 10
Kathy Farber - Piece of Work 8 hr In the Know 1
brennan the judge 8 hr Pissoff 71
Has anyone gone to Keith the Psychic 9 hr for sure 2
Camerota appoints new administrator for Folts 10 hr News 1
Valley health Schrader & Watson 16 hr truth 227
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match

Herkimer Jobs