Herkimer Humane Society

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
shocked

Constableville, NY

#1 Sep 15, 2010
I went to the Humane Society to look at the cats because I was considering adoption. Wow, was I shocked, that place is horrific! Almost every cat there seemed sick, green pus running from their eyes, sneezing, coughing! The smell was disgusting. I went home without a cat obviously, looked up these symptoms online, its called Feline Herpes Virus-1 (FHV-1)(cat flu). This place needs to be inspected by the health department! What a disgrace. I feel terrible for the animals in this shelter, it would be more humane to let them all go and get the hell out of those conditions!!! What in the world do they do with all the money they get from grants and fundraisers, not take care of the animals!
spca

Syracuse, NY

#2 Sep 15, 2010
go to ayresanimalshelter.com great web site and also a great facility located in Sprakers
Ive had it

Syracuse, NY

#3 Sep 15, 2010
shocked wrote:
I went to the Humane Society to look at the cats because I was considering adoption. Wow, was I shocked, that place is horrific! Almost every cat there seemed sick, green pus running from their eyes, sneezing, coughing! The smell was disgusting. I went home without a cat obviously, looked up these symptoms online, its called Feline Herpes Virus-1 (FHV-1)(cat flu). This place needs to be inspected by the health department! What a disgrace. I feel terrible for the animals in this shelter, it would be more humane to let them all go and get the hell out of those conditions!!! What in the world do they do with all the money they get from grants and fundraisers, not take care of the animals!
It's called little or no volunteers plus they are a 'no kill' facility.

Why don't you voluteer your time to them instead of bitchin' on topix.
If you're not part of the solution then you are a part of the problem. Nuff said.
shocked

Constableville, NY

#4 Sep 15, 2010
Ive had it wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're not part of the solution then you are a part of the problem. Nuff said.
I couldn't even breath in there you think I want to risk my own health and volunteer there? Maybe if it wasn't so disgusting they would have MORE people there to help out!

Since: Sep 08

Baldwinsville, NY

#5 Sep 15, 2010
shocked wrote:
First of all they are inspected by the State of New York and pass every time. The money they get goes to improve the building so the animals have a better home to live in until they are adopted. Contrary to what is posted here - they are not a no kill shelter, they are a low kill shelter and try to never euthanize to make space. The cats and dogs are healthy and yes, they do need more volunteers to help clean. So instead of bitching and walking away, stay and help and give back to your community. Their numbers are very high now because of people who do not SPAY OR NEUTER their animals. People think it is great being a backyard breeder and make some money. Guess where the animals end up? Shelters. The animals at the Herkimer County Humane Society are healthy and looking for good homes, not homes like yours where obviously compassion is not in your vocabulary.
shocked

Constableville, NY

#6 Sep 15, 2010
The animals are clean and healthy? I'd love you all to go see the cats.... go.... they are sick..... this is not humane..... they are suffering... yeah, sure, I should have stayed and cleaned the litter boxes? Is that what you are implying? Whatever.. they are still sick already and need to be put on antibiotics... sorry, I am not a vet and could not have healed them while I was there....
Krow

Saranac Lake, NY

#7 Sep 15, 2010
I go to the Humane Society a lot and from what I see, about 5% of the cats there have some sort of affliction -- and it's not even that bad. The rest are just fine; sleeping, walking around, meowing at you, and grabbing for attention. If I wasn't allergic, I'd probably have 2 or 3 of them in my home right now.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Sep 16, 2010
shocked wrote:
The animals are clean and healthy? I'd love you all to go see the cats.... go.... they are sick..... this is not humane..... they are suffering... yeah, sure, I should have stayed and cleaned the litter boxes? Is that what you are implying? Whatever.. they are still sick already and need to be put on antibiotics... sorry, I am not a vet and could not have healed them while I was there....
Put on antibiotics for what? Apparently, InterVet that you are, you diagnosed them with Herpes, a virus that antiBIOTICS is ineffective against. Once they are adopted and can get more centralized care by a single owner that doesn't have hundreds to worry about, they get healthy pretty darn quick.

What did you expect? A glowing example of feline virility? It is a shelter, the poor things were neglected from the start. It's not as if the shelter manufactures the virus and infects the cats for pure sadistic pleasure.

Lastly, what do you think you're going to catch moron, it's again, as you yourself said, a FELINE germ, our physiology is pretty darn different. FYI you won't get Feline Leukemia or Immune Deficiency from them either. Wash your hands and you'll be fine.
Did not work out

Geneva, NY

#9 Sep 16, 2010
Ive had it wrote:
<quoted text>
When I first moved back to the area, I went to the Humane Society and volunteered. The staff ignored me and there was no orientation. I was placed in the Cat House for the first day to "play" with the cats. After getting into my car, I noticed I was crawling with fleas. Before going into the house and tracking in all the fleas to my pets, I had to shuck my clothes in the garage and put them in a plastic bag on the way to the washing machine.
I called them to see if they needed volunteers the following week and was told by the gal who answered the phone, NO. So I never went back.
StormWolf

Saranac Lake, NY

#10 Sep 16, 2010
I will admit that it's lacking, but the thing is that it IS a shelter and as most shelters they are run by donations. I'm sure you here have used a vet and in turn bought flea medication and such. It's not cheap! a small vial of flea medication (advantage which works the best) cost $18 for my forty pound dog. Sure the cat flea meds may be cheaper, but they have to buy for what....30 cats or so?

Realize also that many cats get the upper respiratory infections which spread very easily in such confined areas. Most cats are stray and come in this way. I do agree with Krow. I visited there about two weeks or so ago and most all of the cats looked healthy. They rubbed on my legs, meowed, and batted at the feathers I offered them. There is a room where they attempt to contain the sick cats...maybe you happened in there?

I do agree with the volunteer work however, Of the few times I've offered to walk dogs I was basically met with a poor attitude. You'd think they would be thrilled someone wants to come and socialize the pets and such. They often times don't seem very happy to have volunteers or visitors....not sure why.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#11 Sep 23, 2010
StormWolf wrote:
I will admit that it's lacking, but the thing is that it IS a shelter and as most shelters they are run by donations. I'm sure you here have used a vet and in turn bought flea medication and such. It's not cheap! a small vial of flea medication (advantage which works the best) cost $18 for my forty pound dog. Sure the cat flea meds may be cheaper, but they have to buy for what....30 cats or so?
Realize also that many cats get the upper respiratory infections which spread very easily in such confined areas. Most cats are stray and come in this way. I do agree with Krow. I visited there about two weeks or so ago and most all of the cats looked healthy. They rubbed on my legs, meowed, and batted at the feathers I offered them. There is a room where they attempt to contain the sick cats...maybe you happened in there?
I do agree with the volunteer work however, Of the few times I've offered to walk dogs I was basically met with a poor attitude. You'd think they would be thrilled someone wants to come and socialize the pets and such. They often times don't seem very happy to have volunteers or visitors....not sure why.
I will say there is a general lack of enthusiasm from the employees. Years ago when I got my first cat there was a rely engaging younger fellow that showed me a particularly loving female, she was ill but I've had her for about 6 years now and she has mostly been quite healthy. I do not understand the general malaise of the employees, perhaps it is just a hard, desensitizing job. As far as walkers, I think they get plenty of those, they probably want cage scrubbers.
LFLifer

United States

#12 Sep 25, 2010
The Herkimer Humane Society IS A KILL SHELTER..
They regularly put animals down that are old or unlikely to be adopted because they are not friendly enough.

Go to either HALO or CAP in Little Falls to adopt.

HALO lets their cats have full free run of a house, that includes and enclosed outdoor shelter where the cats are safe to enjoy the warm sun and fresh air during the nice weather months, during the winter months they are warm and safe inside.
Truth

Poland, NY

#13 Sep 26, 2010
LFLifer wrote:
They regularly put animals down that are old or unlikely to be adopted because they are not friendly enough.
HALO lets their cats have full free run of a house, that includes and enclosed outdoor shelter where the cats are safe to enjoy the warm sun and fresh air during the nice weather months, during the winter months they are warm and safe inside.
They DO NOT use euthanasia routinely to control the number of animals at the shelter. They have senior pets as well as pets that need more attention and time for people who are willing to adopt. It is a county humane society, subject to taking in animals neglected, surrendered, or brought in by animal control officers from various towns. They are not a "rescue" owned privately who select what animals they will take in. Many of the smaller rescues,(even though the initial intentions are good) cannot provide quality care for their animals and because they don't agree with euthanasia will keep animals that are ill or suffering way past what is humane. HALO and CAP are also cat rescues, not addressing (in fairness) the dogs that may need homes. The Humane Society does a great job with what they have to work with.
lol

Ithaca, NY

#14 Sep 28, 2010
shocked wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't even breath in there you think I want to risk my own health and volunteer there? Maybe if it wasn't so disgusting they would have MORE people there to help out!
Just walk away...
lol

Ithaca, NY

#15 Sep 28, 2010
LFLifer wrote:
You're so wrong & "Not friendly enough." LOL
StormWolf

Saranac Lake, NY

#16 Sep 28, 2010
Yes....they are a kill shelter. Not a high kill shelter like many down south are. Sometimes this is unavoidable when dealing with rescues. HALO and CAP, While intentions are good, have to turn away MANY cats because they are full and have no more room for animals.

I have visited the shelter and seen dogs that have been there for over a year....cats too! If it were a high kill shelter you'd NEVER see any animals there that long.
hmmm

West Hartford, CT

#17 Nov 15, 2012
I just want to say I adopted my dog from there ... He was there for three years !! He's the best dog I've ever had ! Of course they lack some care ( that's why its a shelter)! I've volunteered there with my kids, walking dogs and cleaning kennels ... Maybe everyone just needs to learn to pitch in and help !
snort-a chox

Seneca Falls, NY

#18 Nov 24, 2012
the old saying LIFE STINKS AND THEN YOU DIE..
have seen how it is ..made mistakes but CONSIDERING THE MANDITORY put down rules someplace else..JUST CLOSE YOUR PIE HOLE and give a dollar or two..IF YOU REALLY GIVE A SHIT ABOUT AMIMALS..WHO KNOWS YOUR DOLLAR MIGHT HELP THE AMIMAL YOU LOVE..its cold out..and BETTER WARM THAN DEAD is a nice way to love animals.even if they POOP.
really

Grafton, MA

#19 Dec 6, 2012
my family donated money every year, someone threw cats out of a moving vehicle at our house n one broke a leg, so we called the shelter and they said sorry your out of our jurisdiction......we live in herkimer county!? Wtf? So no more donations for yooooou.....luckily we have helpful local veterinarians
CARE

Ilion, NY

#20 Dec 6, 2012
really wrote:
my family donated money every year, someone threw cats out of a moving vehicle at our house n one broke a leg, so we called the shelter and they said sorry your out of our jurisdiction......we live in herkimer county!? Wtf? So no more donations for yooooou.....luckily we have helpful local veterinarians
so you say no more donations for yoooou right its not like you donate to help the animals its not like you donate to help spay and nueter or take care of vaccines no not at all you all are bitchin about the people you are angry the people are unsocial per say so lets not donate sooooo. what i am sayin is in the long run no dontion no meds or help for the real purpose of this shelter THE ANIMALS so be pissed at the humans lets not help the mother dog who just delivered pups in the freezing cold cause we are pissed a people ..... so like the post up aways if your not part of the solution your part of the problem !!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pure 2 hr sophia 2
Basset Health Care's "urgent care" sucks (Sep '10) 2 hr sophia 56
Most Vicious Woman in Herkimer 3 hr Not your victim 12
Larry Dack comes out of the closet!!!! 4 hr Richie C 3
Brennan - Kathy Farber - 2 peas in a pod 5 hr Former 22
Herkimer to be annexed in 3 years? 11 hr waste of time 80
LOL Walmart self-checkout joke (Oct '12) Tue bill raper cosby 8
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web