Bicentennial Fracas
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 07

Fairfield, NY

#1 Jul 11, 2007
All right, I'll do it. Here's a discussion thread for the Bicentennial controversy in Herkimer. It is scheduled for Yom Kippur so the Jewish community can't participate.

My thoughts are that the temple raised a massive stink and are now backing off and saying "we don't want people to not participate because of us." I wish the Village would change the date because there will be ill will hanging over the day. The media is going to further stir the pot by interviewing everyone concerning the problem.
Haywood Jablome

Camillus, NY

#2 Jul 12, 2007
Thank you for raising this important topic, FairfieldSmellsLikeCowPoo. Herkimer County Community College absolutely and decisively did the right thing this week IMHO in recusing itself from participating in the Bicentennial festivities.

Now it’s time for others to follow HCCC’s lead and demand that the village reschedule the festivities on a day in which the Jewish community can freely participate. This debacle should offend not just the Jewish community, but thinking people everywhere.

It’s egregiously insulting to hold festivities on Yom Kippur, Sept. 22 – the most solemn and holy day in the Jewish Year. Whatever precautions are taken, a Bicentennial parade will nonetheless be disruptive to the faithful and their reflections. To make matters worse, the Jewish community is effectively barred from enjoying the event.(For the record, I’m a Catholic male).

The “we’re really sorry” and “we tried to change the date but it’s too hard” from Mayor Ainsworth and others is nothing but hogwash and hooey, balderdash and bunk. It only reflects a sorry lack of resourcefulness, ingenuity, and tenacity – painfully obvious here and elsewhere in this bass-ackwards village.

(Only Herkimer would install benches on Main Street that point not towards street, so that the seated may enjoy that view and the activity on the other side, but towards the immediate facade, so that the seated may contemplate a vacant storefront with a FOR RENT sign).

Ainsworth, need a solution? Here it is: If you can’t find an alternative date in the fall, RESCHEDULE THE EVENT FOR NEXT SPRING when everyone can participate.

No, it won’t be precisely a Bicentennial but it will avoid ill will and show some much-needed sensitivity. Already locked into financial contracts? I will bet that many bands etc. will let you off the hook. Still in the hole? Take up a little collection.

Late March 2008 might be a good time. The weather will be warming and a Bicentennial +1 celebration would perk people up from their winter doldrums. How about, hmm ... March 23?

Oops! Sorry! That’s Easter Sunday!
Concerned

Albany, NY

#3 Jul 12, 2007
Sorry, but I just don't agree. Yes it is inexcusable that the planners scheduled this event on Yom Kippur, however, at this late date in the game, it is almost impossible to reschedule all of the participants that are planning on attending. Think about it. People and organizations have to plan way in advance for events like this. I'm not making excuses for the village and the planners, but to change this event now, is just going to make a bad situation worse. I don't agree with the decision that Mr. Williams and HCCC have taken either. I think that they are being "politically correct" and are playing politics in all of this. The village and the community have given much to the college over the years. The college has helped the village too in many ways. But to pull out of this celebration and not consider the whole community and all of the work that has been put into this event, concerns me. I am saddened too that many in the Jewish community have been hurt by this situation, but I believe it was just a terrible oversight. The village of Herkimer was incorporated in 1807 (not 1808) and therefore its 200th anniversary should be celebrated this year.
Haywood Jablome wrote:
Thank you for raising this important topic, FairfieldSmellsLikeCowPoo. Herkimer County Community College absolutely and decisively did the right thing this week IMHO in recusing itself from participating in the Bicentennial festivities.
Now it’s time for others to follow HCCC’s lead and demand that the village reschedule the festivities on a day in which the Jewish community can freely participate. This debacle should offend not just the Jewish community, but thinking people everywhere.
It’s egregiously insulting to hold festivities on Yom Kippur, Sept. 22 – the most solemn and holy day in the Jewish Year. Whatever precautions are taken, a Bicentennial parade will nonetheless be disruptive to the faithful and their reflections. To make matters worse, the Jewish community is effectively barred from enjoying the event.(For the record, I’m a Catholic male).
The “we’re really sorry” and “we tried to change the date but it’s too hard” from Mayor Ainsworth and others is nothing but hogwash and hooey, balderdash and bunk. It only reflects a sorry lack of resourcefulness, ingenuity, and tenacity – painfully obvious here and elsewhere in this bass-ackwards village.
(Only Herkimer would install benches on Main Street that point not towards street, so that the seated may enjoy that view and the activity on the other side, but towards the immediate facade, so that the seated may contemplate a vacant storefront with a FOR RENT sign).
Ainsworth, need a solution? Here it is: If you can’t find an alternative date in the fall, RESCHEDULE THE EVENT FOR NEXT SPRING when everyone can participate.
No, it won’t be precisely a Bicentennial but it will avoid ill will and show some much-needed sensitivity. Already locked into financial contracts? I will bet that many bands etc. will let you off the hook. Still in the hole? Take up a little collection.
Late March 2008 might be a good time. The weather will be warming and a Bicentennial +1 celebration would perk people up from their winter doldrums. How about, hmm ... March 23?
Oops! Sorry! That’s Easter Sunday!
A residents opinion

Syracuse, NY

#4 Jul 12, 2007
Lets see, first off the bicentennial happens once, that is in the year 2007, 2008 would be a waste of time. There are people within the Herkimer community that sit there and wonder how Ilion and Little Falls can pull together such nice events year after year and Herkimer Days always flop. It is called cooperation. Let us take a look at our community. Here is our Mayor and his committee, trying to make a nice celebration, and all we have is negative articles and editorials all over the newspaper smashing our village apart. Odd, I have yet to see the mayor or any committee members say anything negative like I am seeing in editorial after editorial. I understand it is a Jewish holiday and the village did adjust the start of the parade to the best of their ability without breaking contracts. I think the village has made an adjustment to the best of their ability without breaching contracts so why does this need to continue to go on night after night in the paper? Is it because one side wants their way and nothing else? We wonder why we can't get young families with children to stay or move back into our community. How does all this look to an outsider? Not for nothing, the Bicentennial is going to happen once. There is enough gloom hanging over Herkimer. Why is the
Jewish community making Herkimer look even worse than it is? The next time I hear someone complaining about how Herkimer has nothing, and how Herkimer can't get anything right, I will be sure to point out the events leading up to the Bicentennial. Can't we all just cooperate, sorry but I see where the village has made a step in the right direction. It would be nice to see something positive from the Jewish community. I grew up in Herkimer and I am raising my family here. I think it is time we start working together instead of working against each other. This should be a joyous event for the village, it should not be smashed all over the press. Good luck to all involved.
New

United States

#5 Jul 12, 2007
thats what jews do they lie and stir up trouble.
Haywood Jablome

Camillus, NY

#6 Jul 13, 2007
Concerned wrote:
however, at this late date in the game, it is almost impossible to reschedule all of the participants that are planning on attending. Think about it. People and organizations have to plan way in advance for events like this.
Like I said, a lack of resourcefulness, ingenuity, and tenacity. It was "almost impossible" to put a man on the moon, too.
Concerned wrote:
The village of Herkimer was incorporated in 1807 (not 1808) and therefore its 200th anniversary should be celebrated this year.
"Should be" -- sure, under ordinary circumstances. These are extraordinary circumstances and demand an out-of-the-box solution. If the parade proceeds as planned on September 22 it will be with a large black cloud above it that will taint the entire affair not just on that day but for months before and months ... years ... o follow.

Sure it's ideal to hold a Bicentennial parade in the precise Bicentennial 2007 year, but pushing it out to spring 2008 is the lesser of two evils.

More importantly, a spring 2008 parade ensures there's no acrimony or divisiveness in play, and offers an opportunity to celebrate not just 200 years of history but a spirit of enlightenment, inclusion, and cooperation in solving a problem that's only going to linger and fester unless it is decisively addressed soon, like yesterday.

My suggestion of March 23 Easter Sunday was obviously tongue in cheek, but a Saturday in early April would be ideal IMHO.

HAYWOOD.
Haywood Jablome

Camillus, NY

#7 Jul 13, 2007
A residents opinion wrote:
We wonder why we can't get young families with children to stay or move back into our community. How does all this look to an outsider?
A young person moves away to say Albany or NY or Boston or Austin or San Francisco and finds a considerably more enlightened, creative, and dynamic culture and society than he or she knew in Herkimer.

And re the Bicentennial parade on Yom Kippur, the young person observes in Herkimer a witless inability and unwillingness to solve a problem that is blatantly offensive not just to the Jewish community, but to any thinking and culturally sensitive person.

And the young person thinks,“Geez, what a bunch of small-minded, parochial, myopic, provincial, exclusionary, small-town rubes in Herkimer! No way do I want to live my life there.”

That's one big reason why so young people or young families decide not to return to the Valley once they leave for college or a first job.

And that, BTW, is also how it appears to the outsider.
A residents opinion wrote:
Why is the Jewish community making Herkimer look even worse than it is?
The Jewish community is not making Herkimer look even worse than it is. Herkimer is doing that alllllll by itself, every day this debacle bubbles on.(In fact, the Jewish community has been remarkably gracious, IMHO).

And believe me, it's not going away. It will only intensify and worsen and attract more and more attention from the news media as September 22 grows closer.

It's exactly the sort of offbeat and blackly comical controversy, in fact, that The New York Times (with its large audience of Jewish readers in the metropolitan area) would find appealing.

And from The New York Times, USA Today and the Associated Press and Good Morning America will follow.

Now wouldn't that be nice! What a proud feather in Herkimer's Bicentennial (dunce) cap!

Think I'm kidding? Wait and see.

HAYWOOD.
New

United States

#8 Jul 13, 2007
Typical Jews demanding everything their way and blaming everything on everyone.Listen up the jews dont run herkimer and The majority of the town feels that the parade and celebrations should be held now when they are suppose to be...not when the jews(a clear minority) feel it is best for them!
New

United States

#9 Jul 13, 2007
Haywood Jablome wrote:
<quoted text>
It's exactly the sort of offbeat and blackly comical controversy, in fact, that The New York Times (with its large audience of Jewish readers in the metropolitan area) would find appealing.
And from The New York Times, USA Today and the Associated Press and Good Morning America will follow.
Now wouldn't that be nice! What a proud feather in Herkimer's Bicentennial (dunce) cap!
Think I'm kidding? Wait and see.
HAYWOOD.
See exactly what I mean...do what the jews say or else we will make you suffer!troublemakers thats all they are..grow up its a parade for christs sake,not some major life changing event think about others besides yourself for a change and if you dont like it go to isreal and kill a few palastinians then hide it and blame it on someone else thats what you are good at!
New

United States

#10 Jul 13, 2007
Haywood Jablome wrote:
<quoted text>

And the young person thinks,“Geez, what a bunch of small-minded, parochial, myopic, provincial, exclusionary, small-town rubes in Herkimer! No way do I want to live my life there.”
That's one big reason why so young people or young families decide not to return to the Valley once they leave for college or a first job.
And that, BTW, is also how it appears to the outsider.
Then Leave if we are so bad here...if i didnt like where i lived i wouldnt try and ruin everyone elses good time i would move.Instead you choose to try and control everything and at the same time put down the community.Well again if you think this area and these people are so bad..leave.1 less jew is a great thing,too bad the holocaust didnt last longer!

Since: May 07

Fairfield, NY

#11 Jul 13, 2007
New, would you shut the hell up and stay on topic? This is about the Bicentennial being scheduled on a holy day, regardless of the religion. If you want to talk about Jewish people, start a new discussion!
Haywood Jablome

Camillus, NY

#12 Jul 13, 2007
And here’s another ramification to this controversy. Several of my posts have prompted feedback from a hateful and racist moron whose name and commentary I shall neither quote nor repeat.

This controversy serves as a catalyst that triggers hate-mongering not just on this board, but in the community at large – in conversations among family members and friends, or among strangers on barstools.

Such poison insinuates itself into the collective consciousness, inexorably, to the detriment of all.

This particular individual may get his (let’s assume it’s a male) panties all in a bunch concerning the Bicentennial parade on Yom Kippur and spew off his malignant invective to his children around the dinner table.

Thereby perpetuating a vicious cycle of intolerance and insensitivity in children who, if it was not for this Bicentennial/Yom Kippur controversy, would have a better chance of growing up to be wholesome contributors to an enlightened society.

(Not a good chance, mind you, given that one can expect this particular individual to poison his children’s minds regardless of whether the Bicentennial parade occurs on Yom Kippur or not, but a better chance).

Do the right thing. Cancel this parade now, and work to reschedule it on a sensible date.

Remove from Herkimer this lightning rod for racism, for hate, so that individuals such as the one cited above will have one less reason to spread their venomous views.

Since: May 07

Fairfield, NY

#13 Jul 13, 2007
Yes, the Village is trying to do something nice and they are to be commended for their efforts. It's not easy to promote Herkimer. If they HAD cooperated with the Temple as soon as they knew how serious it was (months ago), they would have changed the date. Changing the parade route and time a little indicates tiny, reluctant concessions, not cooperation. Regarding young working families moving here, there just isn't the money and good housing stock. My 2 cents.
New

United States

#14 Jul 13, 2007
Whatever..just so you know I have about 15 people so far(more expected) and we will be practicing free speech and protesting outside your synagogue on the day of the parade.You want a war you have one!

Also typical Jew didnt respnd to anything just used sidestepped the issue and tried to defelect everything.
New

United States

#15 Jul 13, 2007
we will be so loud that we will do whatever it takes to disrupt your service.
New

United States

#16 Jul 13, 2007
Haywood Jablome wrote:
<quoted text>

And the young person thinks,“Geez, what a bunch of small-minded, parochial, myopic, provincial, exclusionary, small-town rubes in Herkimer! No way do I want to live my life there.”
That's one big reason why so young people or young families decide not to return to the Valley once they leave for college or a first job.
And that, BTW, is also how it appears to the outsider.

Thats not hateful?
New

United States

#17 Jul 13, 2007
FairfieldSmellsLikeCowPoo wrote:
New, would you shut the hell up and stay on topic? This is about the Bicentennial being scheduled on a holy day, regardless of the religion. If you want to talk about Jewish people, start a new discussion!
Thats my point other religions wouldnt be actiong this way nor demanding things their way nor threatening people like the jewish community is.It is the way they do things...everything.
A residents opinion

Syracuse, NY

#18 Jul 13, 2007
If there are that many individuals in the community that feel this parade should continue without interruption, where are they? Speak up! Why are they not stepping up and voicing this opinion? It is a bit old hearing all the negative surrounding this event. I agree that people want this event to happen regardless of the "scandal" it seems to be creating. Sit in any restaurant and listen to people young and old, there are many people disgusted with this. This is a ONE TIME event. There are many people looking forward to this. I think if might be time for "the community" to take its stand.
outsider

United States

#19 Jul 14, 2007
Wow....it's a crummy parade and stir up so much hatred, unbelievable
Herkimer Native

Tully, NY

#20 Jul 14, 2007
Well, maybe it's a crummy parade to you, but there still are residents that are proud of their community and its contribution to the nations history. I don't agree with all the blame game and name calling, but I do believe this parade SHOULD CONTINUE as planned, controversy or not.
outsider wrote:
Wow....it's a crummy parade and stir up so much hatred, unbelievable

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamo's Restaurant & Bar grand opening! 1 hr Promiscuous Phony 115
News Does Excessive Littering Hurt Rome's Honor Amer... 12 hr candy 3
109 west german st 13 hr Funny 2
George Aney (Jan '10) 13 hr Clair Vanderpool 127
herkimer voted 8th worst place to live in NY state 17 hr True 6
beacon center (Nov '12) 20 hr Damn yeah 151
carole franklin (Feb '12) Mon vic 42
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages