After The Flood: What's The Next Step For Residents Without Flood Insurance?

Jul 10, 2013 Full story: WUTR 40

Now that the flood waters are receding, many Herkimer County residents are facing the fact that they don't have flood insurance.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scam

Little Falls, NY

#22 Jul 12, 2013
If people who were unfortunate enough to sustain major damage from this flood dont deserve aide from the goverment, then who does?
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#23 Jul 12, 2013
minnie wrote:
I didn't say where you lived, I said that you hadn't been talking to the residents who have been affected.
Again, fail.
minnie wrote:
If you had been, you'd know that they are getting nothing from their flood insurance carriers. Or very, very little, at the most.
Ah, the story begins to change...
minnie wrote:
And we're talking about hard-working people who live check-to-check, who can't afford to just pick up and move, take on a second mortgage, etc. They have no choice but to stay in these homes, and it's going to be a serious struggle to be able to afford to get them to the point where they are livable. And because they work, they don't have all day to spend on their houses- they had to go back to work. Maybe you should get off your high horse and go lend a hand. That's what my family and I have spent the past two weeks doing, because we are fortunate not to have been affected by the flooding. If you had actually been in the flooded areas & helped these people, maybe you'd understand the level of destruction they've endured. I guess you just don't care about their situation(s). That's pretty shameful.
What's shameful is not buying adequate insurance. You only have yourself to blame for that. If I wreck my car and I don't have car insurance, tough luck. That's a choice I made and a risk I took. Now, for people not in a flood zone who flooded (many of whom I've spoken to as well), that's a bad break. But for people in flood zones, I'm sorry, but you knew what you were getting into.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#24 Jul 12, 2013
Scam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not surprised. Where did i state that?
Right here:
Scam wrote:
I have flood insurance. The rates are outrageous, and the insurance covers only structural damage such as foundation damage. The water would have to reach the first floor of my house to see any benefit from my coverage. It does not cover any house hold items and belongings. Flood insurance is a scam. I have it only because im required by law to do so with my mortgage.
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#25 Jul 12, 2013
Scam wrote:
If people who were unfortunate enough to sustain major damage from this flood dont deserve aide from the goverment, then who does?
Hey, I'm not the one who screams and yells about the government and all the spending, etc. etc. etc. It's just funny watching people who hate the government all of the sudden begging for it to help. This may not apply to you specifically, but it applies to a lot of people around here. I mean my God, PV is wondering where the FEMA trailers are. How more hilarious can this get?
Just Saying

Little Falls, NY

#26 Jul 12, 2013
West Coast Rapper wrote:
Did it ever occur to anyone to purchase flood insurance. Hmm, many of you live in Herkimer where it is flat and the river has been known to flow over its banks.
Did it ever occur to you that you have to live in a certified flood zone to buy flood insurance?
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#27 Jul 12, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Did it ever occur to you that you have to live in a certified flood zone to buy flood insurance?
You're saying an insurance company WON'T sell you flood insurance unless you live in a flood zone? I don't believe that. I'm sure an insurance company would sell you asteroid insurance if you were willing to pay for it.
Just Saying

Little Falls, NY

#28 Jul 12, 2013
Bobby in 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're saying an insurance company WON'T sell you flood insurance unless you live in a flood zone? I don't believe that. I'm sure an insurance company would sell you asteroid insurance if you were willing to pay for it.
Yup.

This is from the Travelers Insurance page on flood insurance:

"Background information: In the not too distant past, flood insurance was unavailable because it was too costly for private insurers to offer. The national response to flood disasters was generally limited to constructing flood control works such as dams, levees, sea walls, etc. If you were a flood victim, the only recourse you had was the remote possibility of disaster relief.

In 1968, Congress established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) with two objectives in mind. The first goal was to give property owners the opportunity to purchase insurance protection for flood losses. The second goal was to encourage communities to implement and enforce measures to reduce future flood risks in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs).

Today, individuals who reside in communities that make the effort to reduce flood risks can receive insurance as a financial protection against flood losses. And the government has been able to lower its financial risk by having local governments take responsibility and steps to limit the chances (and the resulting devastation) of floods.

What if my community chooses not to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program? Flood insurance is not available to residents of communities that don't participate. Also, if a presidentially declared disaster due to flooding occurs in a non-participating community, no federal financial assistance can be provided for the permanent repair or reconstruction of insurable buildings in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). Your local insurance agent, Travelers representative, or community officials can inform you whether or not your community is participating in the NFIP."
what

Herkimer, NY

#29 Jul 12, 2013
West Coast Rapper wrote:
Feed a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish........he'll eat for years. If Did it ever occur to anyone to purchase flood insurance. Hmm, many of you live in Herkimer where it is flat and the river has been known to flow over its banks. Perhaps you spend a lil less on your 24 pack of Bud Light and invest in flood insurance? Just a thought.
PLEASE for the love of GOD, look into what you are saying. Flood ins. in very costly and it covers very little in this area. You have not idea what you are talking about, and you have no mud on the first floor of the house you live in.
Pope Benedict XVI

Chantilly, VA

#30 Jul 12, 2013
West Coast Rapper wrote:
Feed a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish........he'll eat for years. If Did it ever occur to anyone to purchase flood insurance. Hmm, many of you live in Herkimer where it is flat and the river has been known to flow over its banks. Perhaps you spend a lil less on your 24 pack of Bud Light and invest in flood insurance? Just a thought.
AMEN.....
minnie

Fort Plain, NY

#31 Jul 12, 2013
Bobby in 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, fail.
<quoted text>
Ah, the story begins to change...
<quoted text>
What's shameful is not buying adequate insurance. You only have yourself to blame for that. If I wreck my car and I don't have car insurance, tough luck. That's a choice I made and a risk I took. Now, for people not in a flood zone who flooded (many of whom I've spoken to as well), that's a bad break. But for people in flood zones, I'm sorry, but you knew what you were getting into.
"Story begins to change?" Here's my story: You are clearly an idiot, who tries to argue for the sake of arguing, even when you have no idea what you're talking about. End of story.
Valley Hoe

New York, NY

#32 Jul 12, 2013
Let's see the government says it is illegal for people to give insurance money to the mafia. But when you give the mob money, at least they do protect you. The insurance companies are sanctioned by the government and most of the time there is no protection. Did you not read the small print.
fyi

Cortland, NY

#33 Jul 12, 2013
http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx...

Help is on the way from Washington to assist Central New York homeowners devastated by recent flooding.

On Friday, FEMA approved Governor Andrew Cuomo's request for federal public assistance aid for flooded counties.

According to a preliminary damage assessment by FEMA, the damage exceeded $32.7 million, well above the state's $27.7 million per capita threshold.

Counties eligible for Public Assistance include Allegany, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Franklin, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Niagara, Oneida, Otsego, and Warren counties. Additional designations may be made at a later date if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.

The money will be used for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities. "Since June when the rain and floods ravaged many communities across the State, I said I would do everything I could to bring relief and aid to the citizens and communities that have been damaged so badly," said Governor Cuomo. "I am very pleased that President Obama has heard our call for assistance and has recognized the extraordinary weather event that occurred across the State and, through FEMA, has authorized federal funding through Public Assistance that will contribute significantly to the necessary recovery and rebuilding process. As we have learned too well in other areas of the state following catastrophic natural disasters, our rebuilding effort must help the affected communities come back stronger and more resilient to any future storms."

The State implemented its emergency plan through the June 11th activation of the State emergency operations center in response to severe storms and flash flooding. "I have seen firsthand the level of destruction and mayhem these floods have caused in the Mohawk Valley, the North Country and Western New York," said Governor Cuomo. "It is a tragedy that so many communities of hard-working, decent New Yorkers have seen their lives turned upside down by the unpredictable and damaging impact of these severe storms and floods. But New Yorkers are strong, they are resilient and they care for each other. In this time, as during others in the recent past, we have come together to help each other and overcome what Mother Nature has wrought; we will overcome this challenge and we will prevail. Now with the aid available through the federal Public Assistance funds, we know that we will be able to set to the task of rebuilding and reinvigorating our communities that have suffered so much. With our collective effort, a shared purpose and the commitment to build better and stronger than before, better days are before us."
george smith

London, UK

#34 Jul 13, 2013
i feel sorry for you guys but lets just think again and remember you are still alive life is the most important thing materaial things mean nothing you willsee what i mean in this youtube video http://youtu.be/rE0rNvXSJOI
southerngirl

Paragould, AR

#35 Jul 13, 2013
Bobby in 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>So... you bought a home in a flood zone (the only reason your mortgage would require it) and you're surprised you got flooded? Gotcha. And you can purchase coverage for contents as well.
agree with ya Bobby! Some people who have been flooded over and over and over continue to rebuild in the same spot or even remodel the same house that was flooded knowing its more than likely gonna happen again and then expect government to bail them out when they do get flooded. Why not save us some money and build somewhere your NOT gonna be flooded!!!
Sherlock

Herkimer, NY

#36 Jul 13, 2013
Fema has been approved so everyone can calm down. Oh and news flash if the corporate powers to be had not transferred over a million jobs over seas, there would be a lot more jobs available so people wouldn't have to depend on Food stamps etc. Of course some people are always lazy, everyone knows that,but MOST people would rather have a decent paying job.
Mover

Little Falls, NY

#37 Jul 13, 2013
Sherlock wrote:
Fema has been approved so everyone can calm down. Oh and news flash if the corporate powers to be had not transferred over a million jobs over seas, there would be a lot more jobs available so people wouldn't have to depend on Food stamps etc. Of course some people are always lazy, everyone knows that,but MOST people would rather have a decent paying job.
They should move to where a job is.
Shinichiro Takizawa

Tokyo, Japan

#38 Jul 13, 2013
I do love the U.S.
I do love Americans.
I have a question.

[1-1]
For example: countermeasure against global-warming (greenhouse-warming)

I will pick up here countermeasure against global-warming (greenhouse-warming)
as one example.

[1-2]
global-warming (greenhouse-warming) is a
"Global" problem.

So, not only the U.S.,
but all the nations in the world must suffer the damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).

All the countries will suffer damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).
So, this is called "GLOBAL"-warming.

Here, I am ignoring geographical-factors.

All the countries are suffering the damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).

(I am not accusing our America.)
(Please read all my this texts.)

[1-3]
And, the answer to this problem is public-undertaking of construction and engineering-works.

All the countries and all the people will build
dams and levee.

[1-4]
Why are economists and department-economics
calculating amount of carbon dioxide emissions?

establishing emissions-trading-systems?

getting budget?

Maybe, there are arising global-warming.
But, it is not economists' job nor department-economics' job.

There is NO need for our America to reduce its amount of carbon dioxide emissions.

Those-countries which are dying by global-warming
must do first.

[1-5]
global-warming, terrorists' attacks, etc.etc.
all look same.

Retired-generals get huge-salaries from defense-companies.
You after retirement get huge-salaries from seminars at top1%.

This is golden-parachute.
This must be called Amakudari.
And, this is the huge-government.

[1-6]
Amakudari:
high-ranking government officials obtaining executive posts in private firms with which they used to do business
practice of civil servants retiring into related private-sector jobs
practice of high-level government officials taking jobs in the private sector
practice of parachuting retired government officials onto public corporations

[2]
And, all these problems occur,
because you established a lot of postgraduate-colleges (postgraduate-schools).

Postgraduate-colleges (postgraduate-schools)
are eating up tax.

are the tax-eaters.

The number of postgraduate-colleges (postgraduate-schools) must decrease.
This is competitive-society.

[3]
The U.S. has been expanding its domestic-demand,
because the U.S. can not have made money by exportation.

We America must change this!

[4]
So, all of your actions are wrong.

Your advisers are
Wal-Mart,
economists,
defense-Industry,
Generals.

All are wrong!

Wal-Mart : domestic-demand eater.
economists : stock-traders
defense-Industry and Generals : golden-parachuter and tax-eaters

Maybe, you cannot read this.
Even I know the real-world.
In fact, I cannot stop laughing while I was writing this text.

[5]
You must fire those
who cannot make money!

In this case, I mean
making-money means exportation and Heavy-Industry.

Making-money does NEVER mean
to sell labels and job-title
to Americans!

to sell decorations and medals
to AMERICANS!

[6]
In fact,
you, top1%, American-politicians
are reviving slavery in today's America.

So,
are racists.
rain man

Boston, MA

#39 Jul 14, 2013
Shinichiro Takizawa wrote:
I do love the U.S.
I do love Americans.
I have a question.

[1-1]
For example: countermeasure against global-warming (greenhouse-warming)

I will pick up here countermeasure against global-warming (greenhouse-warming)
as one example.

[1-2]
global-warming (greenhouse-warming) is a
"Global" problem.

So, not only the U.S.,
but all the nations in the world must suffer the damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).

All the countries will suffer damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).
So, this is called "GLOBAL"-warming.

Here, I am ignoring geographical-factors.

All the countries are suffering the damages from global-warming (greenhouse-warming).

(I am not accusing our America.)
(Please read all my this texts.)

[1-3]
And, the answer to this problem is public-undertaking of construction and engineering-works.

All the countries and all the people will build
dams and levee.

[1-4]
calculating amount of carbon dioxide emissions?

establishing emissions-trading-systems?

getting budget?

Maybe, there are arising global-warming.
But, it is not economists' job nor department-economics' job.

There is NO need for our America to reduce its amount of carbon dioxide emissions.

Those-countries which are dying by global-warming
must do first.

[1-5]
global-warming, terrorists' attacks, etc.etc.
all look same.

Retired-generals get huge-salaries from defense-companies.
You after retirement get huge-salaries from seminars at top1%.

This is golden-parachute.
This must be called Amakudari.
And, this is the huge-government.

[1-6]
Amakudari:
high-ranking government officials obtaining executive posts in private firms with which they used to do business
practice of civil servants retiring into related private-sector jobs
practice of high-level government officials taking jobs in the private sector
practice of parachuting retired government officials onto public corporations

[2]
And, all these problems occur,
because you established a lot of postgraduate-colleges (postgraduate-schools).

are eating up tax.

are the tax-eaters.

The number of postgraduate-colleges (postgraduate-schools) must decrease.
This is competitive-society.

[3]
The U.S. has been expanding its domestic-demand,
because the U.S. can not have made money by exportation.

We America must change this!

[4]
So, all of your actions are wrong.

Your advisers are
Wal-Mart,
economists,
defense-Industry,
Generals.

All are wrong!

Wal-Mart : domestic-demand eater.
economists : stock-traders
defense-Industry and Generals : golden-parachuter and tax-eaters

Maybe, you cannot read this.
Even I know the real-world.
In fact, I cannot stop laughing while I was writing this text.

[5]
You must fire those
who cannot make money!

In this case, I mean
making-money means exportation and Heavy-Industry.

to sell labels and job-title
to Americans!

to sell decorations and medals
to AMERICANS!

[6]
In fact,
are reviving slavery in today's America.

So,
are racists.
Thanks, PV
Gary

Herkimer, NY

#40 Jul 14, 2013
Mover wrote:
<quoted text>
They should move to where a job is.
Yes, you are right in so many ways,however, we need to be aware of what has happened in this country, and who has sold us out.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#41 Jul 15, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
This is from the Travelers Insurance page on flood insurance:
"Background information: In the not too distant past, flood insurance was unavailable because it was too costly for private insurers to offer. The national response to flood disasters was generally limited to constructing flood control works such as dams, levees, sea walls, etc. If you were a flood victim, the only recourse you had was the remote possibility of disaster relief.
In 1968, Congress established the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) with two objectives in mind. The first goal was to give property owners the opportunity to purchase insurance protection for flood losses. The second goal was to encourage communities to implement and enforce measures to reduce future flood risks in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs).
Today, individuals who reside in communities that make the effort to reduce flood risks can receive insurance as a financial protection against flood losses. And the government has been able to lower its financial risk by having local governments take responsibility and steps to limit the chances (and the resulting devastation) of floods.
What if my community chooses not to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program? Flood insurance is not available to residents of communities that don't participate. Also, if a presidentially declared disaster due to flooding occurs in a non-participating community, no federal financial assistance can be provided for the permanent repair or reconstruction of insurable buildings in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). Your local insurance agent, Travelers representative, or community officials can inform you whether or not your community is participating in the NFIP."
That doesn't say what you claimed. You claimed you couldn't get flood insurance if you aren't in a designated flood zone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Joe Voter 6,473
hccc 8 hr aliens r coming 19
way to go herkimer 9 hr Town Resident 7
Big Boys 2nd Hand Store On King Street Will Rip... (Sep '10) 18 hr common sence 26
herkimer is a poor town Tue Virgil A Curtis 2
New Jail Meeting Tue Resident 2
Former Glory Days bar caves in Tue pete and re-pete 21
Herkimer Dating
Find my Match

Herkimer Jobs

Herkimer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Herkimer News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Herkimer

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]