After The Flood: What's The Next Step...

After The Flood: What's The Next Step For Residents Without Flood Insurance?

There are 40 comments on the WUTR story from Jul 10, 2013, titled After The Flood: What's The Next Step For Residents Without Flood Insurance?. In it, WUTR reports that:

Now that the flood waters are receding, many Herkimer County residents are facing the fact that they don't have flood insurance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUTR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NBD

East Hartford, CT

#1 Jul 11, 2013
It was just a little rain. What's the big deal?
Sorry to say

Ilion, NY

#2 Jul 11, 2013
It looks like the home owners with flood damage are not going to get help at all.
why

Syracuse, NY

#4 Jul 12, 2013
is there a reason homeowners should get help? everyone bitches about government spending except when their the ones that get the $$$$. you bought it, you own it, you take care of it! if you can't afford to take care of it you should not have bought it! stop depending on the government to bail you out! just like the GOP in the house yesterday, remove the food stamp provision in the farm bill but make sure the subsidy for the farms the senators own goes through. GOP mantra - No to spending unless theres something for ME!
Just Saying

New York, NY

#5 Jul 12, 2013
why wrote:
is there a reason homeowners should get help? everyone bitches about government spending except when their the ones that get the $$$$. you bought it, you own it, you take care of it! if you can't afford to take care of it you should not have bought it! stop depending on the government to bail you out! just like the GOP in the house yesterday, remove the food stamp provision in the farm bill but make sure the subsidy for the farms the senators own goes through. GOP mantra - No to spending unless theres something for ME!
When the flooding was directly caused by the failure of municipal and state infrastructure, then, yeah, the homeowner deserves some help.
rain man

Newington, CT

#6 Jul 12, 2013
Just a little rain. Move along, nothing to see here.
Valley Hoe

New York, NY

#7 Jul 12, 2013
Ain't politics fun. Take care of me, to heck with the rest. If this was New Orleans or NYC it would be totally different.
minnie

Canajoharie, NY

#8 Jul 12, 2013
why wrote:
So you're saying that hardworking people who own their own homes, maintain them properly, pay for insurance that won't cover anything, and had them severely damaged by storms that were completely out of their control shouldn't get any help from the government, but people who don't work, don't contribute, and probably haven't even bothered to volunteer to help the people who are trying to salvage their homes should continue to get government help in the form of food stamps? Great position. Food stamps for temporary assistance for people who have lost their job, spouse walks out on them, etc.... again, TEMPORARY.... sure. But it's gotten WAY out of control. Good for the GOP for taking a stand.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 12, 2013
Feed a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish........he'll eat for years. If Did it ever occur to anyone to purchase flood insurance. Hmm, many of you live in Herkimer where it is flat and the river has been known to flow over its banks. Perhaps you spend a lil less on your 24 pack of Bud Light and invest in flood insurance? Just a thought.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 12, 2013
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
When the flooding was directly caused by the failure of municipal and state infrastructure, then, yeah, the homeowner deserves some help.
Clouds are state infrastructure?
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 12, 2013
minnie wrote:
<quoted text> So you're saying that hardworking people who own their own homes, maintain them properly, pay for insurance that won't cover anything, and had them severely damaged by storms that were completely out of their control shouldn't get any help from the government
If you had flood insurance it would cover flood damage. Homeowner's insurance does not. You should know that. If you didn't, that's your problem.
minnie

Canajoharie, NY

#12 Jul 12, 2013
Flood insurance isn't paying because this flash flooding is considered an "Act of God"... try talking to some of the people who have paid out their asses for flood insurance before you judge.
Scam

Ilion, NY

#13 Jul 12, 2013
I have flood insurance. The rates are outrageous, and the insurance covers only structural damage such as foundation damage. The water would have to reach the first floor of my house to see any benefit from my coverage. It does not cover any house hold items and belongings. Flood insurance is a scam. I have it only because im required by law to do so with my mortgage.
minnie

Canajoharie, NY

#14 Jul 12, 2013
Exactly. Some of these people had their denial letters from their flood insurance carriers within 48 hours. They were told that they needed the denial letters to apply for FEMA aid, which, apparently, doesn't seem to be coming. It's ridiculous, and I agree- Flood Insurance is a scam, and many, like you, are required to have it. Pay, pay, pay, but get nothing in return.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 12, 2013
Scam wrote:
I have flood insurance. The rates are outrageous, and the insurance covers only structural damage such as foundation damage. The water would have to reach the first floor of my house to see any benefit from my coverage. It does not cover any house hold items and belongings. Flood insurance is a scam. I have it only because im required by law to do so with my mortgage.
So... you bought a home in a flood zone (the only reason your mortgage would require it) and you're surprised you got flooded? Gotcha. And you can purchase coverage for contents as well.
minnie

Canajoharie, NY

#16 Jul 12, 2013
And clearly, West Coast Rapper and Bobby in 2016 haven't exactly been walking the local streets lending a helping hand and/or talking with our residents. So their opinions really don't matter, even though they think they do.
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 12, 2013
minnie wrote:
Flood insurance isn't paying because this flash flooding is considered an "Act of God"... try talking to some of the people who have paid out their asses for flood insurance before you judge.
Of course a flash flood is an act of God, what do you think floods are? When you buy flood insurance you are buying insurance for an act of God.

"In other contracts, such as indemnification, an act of God may be no excuse, and in fact may be the central risk assumed by the promisorĀ—e.g., flood insurance or crop insuranceĀ—the only variables being the timing and extent of the damage."
Bobby in 2016

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 12, 2013
minnie wrote:
And clearly, West Coast Rapper and Bobby in 2016 haven't exactly been walking the local streets lending a helping hand and/or talking with our residents. So their opinions really don't matter, even though they think they do.
Fail. I live smack in the middle of LF.
New York

Herkimer, NY

#19 Jul 12, 2013
You need to get water back up insurance, or drain back up . You have to watch out how they word it, or you will be out of luck. It is not the same as flood insurance .
minnie

Canajoharie, NY

#20 Jul 12, 2013
I didn't say where you lived, I said that you hadn't been talking to the residents who have been affected. If you had been, you'd know that they are getting nothing from their flood insurance carriers. Or very, very little, at the most. And we're talking about hard-working people who live check-to-check, who can't afford to just pick up and move, take on a second mortgage, etc. They have no choice but to stay in these homes, and it's going to be a serious struggle to be able to afford to get them to the point where they are livable. And because they work, they don't have all day to spend on their houses- they had to go back to work. Maybe you should get off your high horse and go lend a hand. That's what my family and I have spent the past two weeks doing, because we are fortunate not to have been affected by the flooding. If you had actually been in the flooded areas & helped these people, maybe you'd understand the level of destruction they've endured. I guess you just don't care about their situation(s). That's pretty shameful.
Scam

Ilion, NY

#21 Jul 12, 2013
Bobby in 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
So... you bought a home in a flood zone (the only reason your mortgage would require it) and you're surprised you got flooded? Gotcha. And you can purchase coverage for contents as well.
Not surprised. Where did i state that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daley signs 1 hr Violation 52
herkimer county treasurer 6 hr Pity the county t... 2
The Good Ol'Boys favorite Coward refuses to debate 12 hr 0-1carpy 7
Another Year for Macri 15 hr 23flty 4
SKOOL CHECK SITE free Wed IGOT knoname 1
Carpenter Signs. " It's a matter of public safe... Wed RadarLove 31
DA Race Wed NoIsYes 12

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance