Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope t...

Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope to move forward with two-school merger plans

There are 95 comments on the WKTV story from Oct 25, 2012, titled Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope to move forward with two-school merger plans. In it, WKTV reports that:

The Mohawk and Ilion Boards of Education plan to officially move forward in an effort to merge the two school districts by July.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Union

Herkimer, NY

#82 Nov 5, 2012
A good "Educator" is priceless. Easily worth 6 figures. The Union itself is contradiction to advancing better "Educators". By allowing Educators to be represented by organized labor, we have conceded that all "Educators" are equal. Which we all agree is not the case. Thus holding back great "Educators" while allowing the not so great ones to skate by. We are on the horns of quite a dilemma. The BOE is spineless when it comes to contractual parts of the budget (85%). Fearing a lawsuit with the Union when it comes to concessions. If indeed the Union is that powerful. We lack the finances and where with all to negotiate aggressively to balance our budgets. We are truly doomed and relegated to seven people (BOE) whose only solutions are how to manage the other 15% of a 20 million dollar budget. If this is our reality, the state might as well take everything over now and stop this charade. Making us think we control the destiny of educating our children. I blame the State of New York for causing this riff that has crippled our communities.
They have created an environment within the department of education that leaves people few choices. So lets stop blaming Parents. Children and our “Educators” we all need and depend on one another. We are in this together. If this is truly about the kids, we can all give a little to achieve our goals.
Hopeless Mohawk

New York, NY

#83 Nov 8, 2012
Herkimer has a lot of inherent problems other than the school merger...they are now having to see the results of their faulty policies.
A mayor who allows the police chief to dictate policy...a failing downtown mainstreet that instead of encouraging businesse, they target them. HCC imports such low quality students (not all) from the city by special grants...
Raise your standards HCC...
Does Mohawk/Ilion need that?
The merger needs to go forward, give our students the forward progress and better education possibilities!
Those Mohawk board members against it (yes you know who you are Ms L_)- look at what you publicly say and why are you so negative, your son is out of school...resign please, no one will cry...
Mohawk - go for the opportunity, look ahead, change and get going!
you are right ole timer

Herkimer, NY

#84 Nov 8, 2012
''top-heavy'' with administrators, and a full time ad that we dont need.
Yes

New York, NY

#85 Nov 9, 2012
Rush it through, Hurry, Run Run Run and get it done
idea

Boston, MA

#86 Nov 11, 2012
Agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, it's not my job to come up with alternatives. I'm offering suggestions and I knew the naysayer lemmings who don't have the ability to think independently would shoot those ideas down. What you're ignoring is that all of those people work for us.
There are plenty of unemployed teachers who would be happy to come here and work for less than what we're paying our failing teachers now. But if you want to keep paying teachers who are failing our kids, who refuse to forego a pay raise, who refuse to contribute to their healthcare and who refuse to be evaluated according to state requirements that would bring us grant money, I'm not going to try to change your mind. Your ignorance speaks for itself.
Anyone else care to chime in? Anybody else have ideas aside from a state-mandated merger? Or is everyone happy being led by politicians who are more interested in keeping the money in their own high-income communities than they are in spreading it out to rural areas? Apparently they and their kids are more important than we and ours. I say enough with the bullshit...but people like 'the spin room' are happy being spoon fed more and more. Bon apetit!
Teachers refuse to forego a pay raise? I've got an idea. Why don't YOU forego a pay raise along with every other resident and then we can put all that extra money into the schools? The teachers in ilion have already agreed to no raise for the second year in a row. Why should teachers be expected to give up pay instead of parents? Parents are the ones who don't teach their kids at home prior to entering kindergarten, who don't make sure they are doing their homework at HOME, who want to battle teachers when they attempt to give consequences to students who are not doing homework or fooling around and therefore not learning. Teachers AND parents are responsible for education.
School Board

New York, NY

#87 Nov 11, 2012
No - We will not be intimidated...We the Mohawk school board know so much more than you peasants and provincials. We alone will make decisions to lower our own taxes, stifle any inititiatives...we know that none of you want to serve in our exalted positions, therefore we will continue to strangle anything that really makes sense (or costs money), because that is the real reason we are here. Selfish service for our own selves. Children, really...our mean spirited initiatives blocking any and all sense of community will continue. And YOU can't get rid of Us. Just look how we went against the Pop Warner team in spite of the rest of the town! We are without any civic sense or conscience.
Especially

Herkimer, NY

#88 Nov 11, 2012
When school board members are married to teachers in the proposed Merged District. No self serving attitudes there.
Mohican

New York, NY

#89 Nov 14, 2012
Right Matt?
Ilionite

United States

#90 Nov 14, 2012
Mohican wrote:
Right Matt?
Right, Jim?
Agreed

Minoa, NY

#91 Nov 14, 2012
idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers refuse to forego a pay raise? I've got an idea. Why don't YOU forego a pay raise along with every other resident and then we can put all that extra money into the schools? The teachers in ilion have already agreed to no raise for the second year in a row. Why should teachers be expected to give up pay instead of parents? Parents are the ones who don't teach their kids at home prior to entering kindergarten, who don't make sure they are doing their homework at HOME, who want to battle teachers when they attempt to give consequences to students who are not doing homework or fooling around and therefore not learning. Teachers AND parents are responsible for education.
Eff you and your assumptions about what I make, whether or not I accept a pay raise and how I teach my children at home. I'm well aware of my responsibilities as a parent and I live up to them. So EFF you again for even suggesting that I don't do what's right by my kids!!!
Hey agreed

New York, NY

#92 Nov 15, 2012
Be quiet.
Think about it

Cazenovia, NY

#93 Nov 15, 2012
Charter schools would resolve the union issues.
Salary freeze

Little Falls, NY

#94 Nov 15, 2012
idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Most other state employees have been on a pay freeze for three years now, most private sector workers make less than they did before the recession, time to leave never land and join reality!

As if things haven't been tough enough in the past few years for local residents, we also give up more of our income every year when our property taxes are raised to pay for NYSUT contractual obligations. How do you think residents feel when contracted raises aren't even appreciated, and when people complain about how "poorly" teachers in CNY are paid? It's no wonder NYSUT is becoming the most hated organization in the state!

The only good thing that has happen to the local tax payer since the recession is the new 2% property tax cap, and guess who is is challenging that legally? NYSUT! Great way to improve public relations!
Charter Schools

Little Falls, NY

#95 Nov 15, 2012
Think about it wrote:
Charter schools would resolve the union issues.
It's getting closer, Utica has two that were approved and will open next year. This is the future of public education, and is what the Governor's office wants, NOT mergers! They know the cost of education in NYS can't be controlled any other way, nor can the quality of education be raised up to an acceptable level any other way. Cuomo says NYS being ranked 38th in graduation rates doesn't cut it, and he's right!

Charter schools are our future, if you can't make progress negotiating with NYSUT, take the student's away from them! This is what is happening elsewhere, we are next.
Hey

New York, NY

#96 Nov 15, 2012
No way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carolyn Ruggerio 3 hr JimS76 2
Bragging and complaining! 6 hr Sad 4
herkimer county treasurer 6 hr SickofAllofIt 7
Sexual dreams and fantasies 9 hr Sad 9
The Park Place Monopoly 9 hr Sad 4
William Thompson - Stalker 10 hr Pete 1
Ward Halverson, the therapist 14 hr go bye bye 13

Herkimer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance