Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope to move forward with two-school merger plans

There are 20 comments on the WKTV story from Oct 25, 2012, titled Mohawk and Ilion School Boards hope to move forward with two-school merger plans. In it, WKTV reports that:

The Mohawk and Ilion Boards of Education plan to officially move forward in an effort to merge the two school districts by July.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Hopeful

Atlanta, GA

#1 Oct 25, 2012
Hoping that this actually gets passed through legislation so we can move forward. Interesting that all board members for Ilion were on board with this and almost all for Mohawk, only one person in oposition, maybe she should resign and get someone in there that actually cares about the students and edcuation instead of control.
Here We Go

Rome, NY

#2 Oct 25, 2012
And here we go again with the derogatory comments and personal insults.

I care about students but I don't want to see a merger of the two districts. They are not mutually exclusive.
Hopeful2

Utica, NY

#3 Oct 25, 2012
Couldn't agree more with your statement. Progress is necessary for our children to succeed in life. And you are 100% with your word "control." She's a control freak always has been just the way she is in every single thing she does.
true

Little Falls, NY

#4 Oct 25, 2012
Here We Go wrote:
I care about students but I don't want to see a merger of the two districts. They are not mutually exclusive.
What's "your" answer then. Is it the same as the no voters in herkimer? Like them you don't have an answer? That's great honey...good for you. If you want follow the adults in herkimer you could rile up children and then hide behind them. Actually one of those tramps lives in Mohawk. Watch out people.
Cry Baby

Clinton, NY

#5 Oct 25, 2012
Wahhhh Herkimer cant merge wahhhhhh
deliverence

Liverpool, NY

#6 Oct 25, 2012
two hick towns and hill billies , now that will be a great school, Blaisey(literaly) being the biggest, hahahah
Hopeful

Chicago, IL

#7 Oct 25, 2012
Here We Go wrote:
At this point they actually are mutually exclusive. Staying as we are will only hjave negative effects on the students of Mohawk. Merging with Ilion makes the most sense both academicallya nd finacially. However, the concern at the meting last night was about local businesses. Since when is it the Board of EDUCATIONs resposibility to worry about business over education. We have Fastrac, Village Market and Paesano's all three of our businesses will be fine with or without a merger. But that shoudl not be your focus.
big deal

Little Falls, NY

#8 Oct 25, 2012
Cry Baby wrote:
Wahhhh Herkimer cant merge wahhhhhh
Screw herkimer. It's going to be fun watching them squirm trying to raise taxes. The cap ain't coming off and 2% won't cut it. People in the town are ready to vote everything and anything down. Too funny. Slash and cut, what fun.
Here We Go

Rome, NY

#10 Oct 25, 2012
true wrote:
<quoted text>
What's "your" answer then. Is it the same as the no voters in herkimer? Like them you don't have an answer? That's great honey...good for you. If you want follow the adults in herkimer you could rile up children and then hide behind them. Actually one of those tramps lives in Mohawk. Watch out people.
It's not my job to come up with a solution or an alternative. The state wants us to believe that the merger is the only way out. When did the people of this country lose their ability to think and fend for themselves. This country was started by people who bucked the system. Too many of you are too willing to just bend over for government.

But here are a few ideas anyway....Since you can't think for yourself.
- Charge admission to sporting events
- Have teachers and administrators take a couple of years off from a pay raise
- Have teachers and administrators contribute more to their health benefits
- Require that the teachers' union abide by the evaluation rules that will give us MILLIONS is grants
- Bring in qualified educators that are willing to work for a little less than the educators who are currently failing our kids
- Loosen your wallet and pay an additional $100 or $200 in taxes per year
- Charter schools

All of these are viable. None have been looked at or studied or presented as alternatives. Or we could just bend over....
Good Luck

Fayetteville, NY

#11 Oct 25, 2012
Being in Herkimer, I'd like to offer my best wishes to the people of Mohawk and Ilion on the merger venture. I've been saddened by the decision of the people of Herkimer to turn the merger down.

Watching for the past months, I think the people of Mohawk and Ilion are better equipped to handle the process. Obviously Herkimer is not.

Hopeful

Chicago, IL

#12 Oct 25, 2012
Would never create enough revenue to save anything, would be a nice start though, this could help.
I beleive they have already done this, isn't helping
I had to do this, they should be willing to pay ah igher percentage, but I still do not think it will save that much money in the long run, may save a position or tow but will bring nothing that we have lost back
- Require that the teachers' union abide by the evaluation rules that will give us MILLIONS is grants
Our school will not get millions, we will get some money though, and although I understand where the teachers are coming from in their hesitation on this, I think the entire system of tenure should be looked at, we should be able to fire bad teachers and reward good ones
- Bring in qualified educators that are willing to work for a little less than the educators who are currently failing our kids
WHY IS THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT LESS QUALIFIED PEOPLE TEACHING OUR KIDS! This is a crazy statement
We did that this year when our taxes went up, we woudl need to raise it by double digit percentages and that would ony help to save a few things, we would get nothign back that we lsot and we could not continue to that on a yearly basis so we would begin cutting right away again.
- Charter schools
Not up to the public school system to offer
All of these are viable. None have been looked at or studied or presented as alternatives. Or we could just bend over...

Every singel one of htose things was discussed, looked at researched and or tried (maybe not here but elsewhere) NONE of them will give the kids in our area the educaiton and opportunity they deserve. Not bending over for anyone, just being realistic.
whtabout

Fort Plain, NY

#13 Oct 25, 2012
Don't be to quick to jump through hoops for this merge, you havent heard which district is going to get the higher tax hike while the other gets a tax break
Here We Go

Rome, NY

#14 Oct 25, 2012
Hopeful wrote:
Would never create enough revenue to save anything, would be a nice start though, this could help.
I beleive they have already done this, isn't helping
I had to do this, they should be willing to pay ah igher percentage, but I still do not think it will save that much money in the long run, may save a position or tow but will bring nothing that we have lost back
Our school will not get millions, we will get some money though, and although I understand where the teachers are coming from in their hesitation on this, I think the entire system of tenure should be looked at, we should be able to fire bad teachers and reward good ones
WHY IS THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT LESS QUALIFIED PEOPLE TEACHING OUR KIDS! This is a crazy statement
We did that this year when our taxes went up, we woudl need to raise it by double digit percentages and that would ony help to save a few things, we would get nothign back that we lsot and we could not continue to that on a yearly basis so we would begin cutting right away again.
- Charter schools
Not up to the public school system to offer
All of these are viable. None have been looked at or studied or presented as alternatives. Or we could just bend over...
Every singel one of htose things was discussed, looked at researched and or tried (maybe not here but elsewhere) NONE of them will give the kids in our area the educaiton and opportunity they deserve. Not bending over for anyone, just being realistic.
It doesn't say less qualified. It says 'qualified'. And of course these aren't the answers to all of the problems, but it's a starting point. It's someone thinking as opposed to just doing what we're told is best.

Why aren't we thinking for ourselves? Why aren't we demanding more of our elected officials and teachers and the administration? Why aren't we demanding that they come up with alternatives? They all work for us but we seem to forget that. We write their paychecks with our tax dollars. It's time that we make them work for us!!!
big deal

Little Falls, NY

#15 Oct 25, 2012
Here We Go wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my job to come up with a solution or an alternative. The state wants us to believe that the merger is the only way out. When did the people of this country lose their ability to think and fend for themselves. This country was started by people who bucked the system. Too many of you are too willing to just bend over for government.
But here are a few ideas anyway....Since you can't think for yourself.
- Charter schools
All of these are viable. None have been looked at or studied or presented as alternatives. Or we could just bend over....

Unattainable bullshht...that's great.

If you're some idiot on topix this bs is ok. If you're the tramp on the school board you are a major clown.
Hopeful

Chicago, IL

#16 Oct 25, 2012
OOPS, i did read taht as less qualified for some reason! Sorry about that! But not many teachers will want to work here for much less than what our starting salary already is.
no merger voter

Cicero, NY

#17 Oct 25, 2012
Good Luck wrote:
Being in Herkimer, I'd like to offer my best wishes to the people of Mohawk and Ilion on the merger venture. I've been saddened by the decision of the people of Herkimer to turn the merger down.
Watching for the past months, I think the people of Mohawk and Ilion are better equipped to handle the process. Obviously Herkimer is not.
Maybe Ilion and Mohawk are more used to accepting government handouts (welfare) and Herkimer realizes that a government handout for the next 14 years isn't a solution it's a postponement of the inevitable. The Mohawk Valley has been in decline for 40 years so stop pretending we suddenly went broke. The problem is the same people that sat on the merger committees are the same people that said yes for 20 - 30 years and got us in to this situation. Now that they can't simply ask the taxpayer (actually 50% that pay taxes) to pay more they come up with a solution to accept more government welfare. At some point in time people will have to say "no" Herkimer decided now is as good a time as any, someone should have said it years ago. How many tax increases have the schools asked for over the past 40 years? How many of those expenditures were necessary? How many got voted down?

Come On

Rome, NY

#18 Oct 25, 2012
no merger voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Ilion and Mohawk are more used to accepting government handouts (welfare) and Herkimer realizes that a government handout for the next 14 years isn't a solution it's a postponement of the inevitable. The Mohawk Valley has been in decline for 40 years so stop pretending we suddenly went broke. The problem is the same people that sat on the merger committees are the same people that said yes for 20 - 30 years and got us in to this situation. Now that they can't simply ask the taxpayer (actually 50% that pay taxes) to pay more they come up with a solution to accept more government welfare. At some point in time people will have to say "no" Herkimer decided now is as good a time as any, someone should have said it years ago. How many tax increases have the schools asked for over the past 40 years? How many of those expenditures were necessary? How many got voted down?
I agree with you about it's our own fault, we are a society of entitlements, the best of everything and it's caught up with us.

But saying that Herkimer realized this and wants to stop it, I don't buy that for a second. Part of the Anti-merger groups "plan" is to demand more state aid, sound like asking for a handout to me. This was all about parochialism, sports and mis-information.
More from state

New York, NY

#19 Oct 25, 2012
Come On wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you about it's our own fault, we are a society of entitlements, the best of everything and it's caught up with us.
But saying that Herkimer realized this and wants to stop it, I don't buy that for a second. Part of the Anti-merger groups "plan" is to demand more state aid, sound like asking for a handout to me. This was all about parochialism, sports and mis-information.
Herkimer has a LONG way to go before they begin to match Ilion's state aid as a % of their budget. 70% for Ilion vs 59% for Herk, isn't it?
well

Little Falls, NY

#20 Oct 25, 2012
NOT SURE THE NUMBERS ON ILION/MOHAWK BUDGET BUT MOHAWK IS IN A FINANCIAL MESS....ITS NOT UP TO THE BOARD OF EDUCATION TO SPEAK FOR THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY!!!
THE BENEFIT PKG IN ALL SCHOOLS IS WHAT IS KILLING US NOT SPORTS
AND THE VOTE SHOULD TAKE PLACE IN ONE YEAR AND ONE DAY FROM NOW!!!
MOHAWK IF DISBANDED IF THAT IS WHAT THE PPL WANT SHOULD BE SPLIT UP BETWEEN HERKIMER AND ILION SCHOOLS
ONCE AGAIN TIME TO SPEAK OUT PPL DONT LET THE BOE CRAM THIS DECISION DOWN YOUR THROATS THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS!!
Nope

Buffalo, NY

#21 Oct 25, 2012
More from state wrote:
<quoted text>
Herkimer has a LONG way to go before they begin to match Ilion's state aid as a % of their budget. 70% for Ilion vs 59% for Herk, isn't it?
School website states over 60% so they aren't that far off.

I laugh at those who suggest that Herkimer isn't about handouts. Look at how many kids get free lunch and the rates for welfare and other benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
O-D editorial on Piseck-Casale scandal (Mar '10) 1 hr things never change 68
lex n kristine 2 hr hello 2
skanks in herk 2 hr badasssbitch 13
Herkimer County Humane Society 2 hr past board member 43
New Director Herkimer county IDA 3 hr Greed is power 13
Herkimer DA and County Court lose jury trial 5 hr TotalCorruption 33
South Washington St Trash 😂 13 hr Ya Think 9
More from around the web

Herkimer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE