First Prev
of 2
Next Last
check your facts

Chicago, IL

#21 Oct 12, 2012
I wouldl like to point out that one of the petitioners, Mr. Monohan, caused a vote to be annulled in Mohawk as a school board member when he solicited illegal absentee ballots. One elderly woman even testified to the fact that he fille out the paperwork for her and she did not know what she was signing, he then took the ballot with him. He was charged with fifth-degree criminal solicitation. The ballots were not handled in accordance to the procedures outlined by law.

Yup he seems credible to me
Lawyer

Little Falls, NY

#22 Oct 12, 2012
The law is clear. You can't use school funds for political purposes. By using the school funds/news letter to promote a Pro-Merger position they are in violation of the law. End of story.
do not agree

Chicago, IL

#23 Oct 12, 2012
They did not promote the merger, they educated the public of hte facts int eh study, which are also available to the public. No place on there did it say VOTE YES.
wrong

Little Falls, NY

#24 Oct 12, 2012
It was from the super himself stating that there was no other option but to merge, that is implying without a doubt that yes is the only way to go.. you think if we dont merge that all the schools w fall apart and close,,,never will happen,,,,what is Little Falls secret? Dolgeville, Frankfort? noone is in great shape but can get by, this in the long run is the wrong way to go.. and Cosmo is shady, he needs to step down and go away.
do not agree

Chicago, IL

#25 Oct 12, 2012
Still do not agree. Giving out facts, saying this is what we get with a merger as outlined in the plan, and also stating this is what happens without the merger, is giving the public a comparison to the two scenarios. there are many people out there who received the newsletters that are still voting no. It's not going to change the vote. At the forums I attended Cosmo said he could not, as a superintendent voice his opinion and he did not. You can read into anything you like, but facts are facts and that is what was printed in the newsletters that were sent out. If someone is voting no becasue they do not want their kids in three different towns in three different buildings, that is a personal choice but based on emotion only, not the fact that the educational quality and opportunity in each district keeps going down due to cuts. Cosmo, Joyce, Gene, Ken and the BOE memebers that were served did not go out and sway anyones opinion.
how about the facts

Nedrow, NY

#26 Oct 12, 2012
If you are wondering about the case law take a look. I you seen the supt. newsletter, it is cut and dry. Read below:

In 1986, New York State's highest court, the Court of Appeals, ruled that school districts
may not use district resources or personnel to exhort the voters to support a particular
position with respect to any item that district residents will be asked to vote on in a school
board election, budget vote, or any other ballot proposition. In other words, a school
district does not have the right to use the public's money (or district resources that equate
with money) to encourage them to vote in any particular way. Phillips v. Maurer, 67 N.Y.2d
672 (1986).

In numerous decisions since then, the Commissioner of Education has applied the
prohibition of Phillips v. Maurer. In summary, the Commissioner's numerous subsequent
decisions hold that district funds, facilities, and channels of communication may not be used
to engage in direct or indirect advocacy on behalf or against any item on the ballot in a
school district election or referendum

In should be noted that these rulings do not apply to efforts of the District to garner support
for District goals and objectives which are not subject to public vote (i.e., in newsletters).
The Commissioner looks at "context." Do the statements otherwise seek to persuade or
convey support for a particular position? If so, the Commissioner will rule against you.
Appeal of Gravink, 37 Educ. Dept. Rep. 393 (1998).
Former magician

Little Falls, NY

#27 Oct 12, 2012
I am pro merger, but Cosmo needs to go. We need someone new with some ecpertise in these situations. Even if it is short term. If this passes, everyone needs to get out and vote for a school board that will make a difference. Everyone has a voice, start using it by being proacive.
Resident

Little Falls, NY

#28 Oct 12, 2012
do not agree wrote:
Still do not agree. Giving out facts, saying this is what we get with a merger as outlined in the plan, and also stating this is what happens without the merger, is giving the public a comparison to the two scenarios. there are many people out there who received the newsletters that are still voting no. It's not going to change the vote. At the forums I attended Cosmo said he could not, as a superintendent voice his opinion and he did not. You can read into anything you like, but facts are facts and that is what was printed in the newsletters that were sent out. If someone is voting no becasue they do not want their kids in three different towns in three different buildings, that is a personal choice but based on emotion only, not the fact that the educational quality and opportunity in each district keeps going down due to cuts. Cosmo, Joyce, Gene, Ken and the BOE memebers that were served did not go out and sway anyones opinion.
Then why are you bastids trying to sway us now?
more illegalities

Herkimer, NY

#29 Oct 12, 2012
And now he is wasting taxpayer money on the schools attorneys to defend himself. What a guy!
do not agree

Chicago, IL

#30 Oct 12, 2012
Resident wrote:
<quoted text> Then why are you bastids trying to sway us now?
Not sure what a bastid is, and not sure you the "you" trying to "sway us now" refers to. this is about a lawsuit trying ot stop a vote that is frivilous. No school personnel tryign to sway anyone. If giving out facts is "swaying you" then I guess I am guilty of that, but voting on pure emotion and small town pride is going to get out communites no where.
Im sure

Little Falls, NY

#31 Oct 12, 2012
Former magician wrote:
I am pro merger, but Cosmo needs to go. We need someone new with some ecpertise in these situations. Even if it is short term. If this passes, everyone needs to get out and vote for a school board that will make a difference. Everyone has a voice, start using it by being proacive.
Great idea. Replace the superintendent with the best graduation rate and the most financially stable school. While your at it replace the crossing guard...dork.
2020Vision

New York, NY

#32 Oct 12, 2012
The Emperor wears no clothes
common man

New York, NY

#33 Oct 13, 2012
The state paid for a grant that allowed the schools to conduct the merger study. Certain merger committee people have used their positions as a platform to promote merger who now belong to friends of the merger group. You think they were at least unethical. Maybe they didn't have room in the petition for all of them. And it has nothing to do with taking anyones rights away-that is just silly talk.
study

Herkimer, NY

#34 Oct 13, 2012
Actually the grant was supposed to be for looking at options including shared services. Someone along the line got greedy and started pushing merger hoping the public wouldn't notice. At first the public bought what was presented and those with the most to gain were ecstatic. But now the truth is coming out. Vote the lie down. Vote no merger.
funny

Jordanville, NY

#35 Oct 14, 2012
study wrote:
Actually the grant was supposed to be for looking at options including shared services. Someone along the line got greedy and started pushing merger hoping the public wouldn't notice. At first the public bought what was presented and those with the most to gain were ecstatic. But now the truth is coming out. Vote the lie down. Vote no merger.
Actually your an idiot. All four school share most everything now. Mohawk and Ilion share a business office. Some things NYS does not allow you to share.
funny

Jordanville, NY

#36 Oct 14, 2012
Lawyer wrote:
The law is clear. You can't use school funds for political purposes. By using the school funds/news letter to promote a Pro-Merger position they are in violation of the law. End of story.
The petition is useless. Look into what the process is from this point. dumb

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Power Outages Throughout Mohawk Valley 1 hr groundhog 3
Jamo's Restaurant & Bar grand opening! 4 hr Knights Templar 87
Phillipson Army Store 5 hr Knights Templar 1
Does anyone know the lawyer Don Manley? From H... (Oct '10) 8 hr Heidi 9
question about Herk Police 16 hr Gio 5
Valasek-Zaleski (Jan '14) Sun chumps 49
HERKIMER TOPIX the best place Sat iaintkryinkusuain... 1
More from around the web

Herkimer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE