Facts From Other Merged Districts

Facts From Other Merged Districts

Posted in the Herkimer Forum

School Merger Facts

Fayetteville, NY

#1 Sep 19, 2012
Those that talk about less opportunities and decreased learning possibilities in a "larger" merged district. Here are some facts from the Cicero-North Syracuse School District.

The high school is only grades 10-12 and has over 2200 students.(The merged high school would have just a hair over 1000).

At the Cicero-North Syracuse District, 97% of the graduating students earn their regents diploma. State average is 83%.

The present average of students receiving regents diplomas in Herkimer, Ilion and Mohawk, between 72 and 85%.

This just one example, if anyone has more, either in favor or against the merger please post, but keep it to facts that can be verfied. No personal opinions or attacks please.

Sal

New York, NY

#2 Sep 19, 2012
"but keep it to facts that can be verfied." Provide a link or your "facts" can't be verified. Why is it that the intelligent pro-merger folks can't spell yes if you spot them the y and the e?
Poverty destroys hope

New York, NY

#3 Sep 19, 2012
School Merger Facts wrote:
Those that talk about less opportunities and decreased learning possibilities in a "larger" merged district. Here are some facts from the Cicero-North Syracuse School District.
The high school is only grades 10-12 and has over 2200 students.(The merged high school would have just a hair over 1000).
At the Cicero-North Syracuse District, 97% of the graduating students earn their regents diploma. State average is 83%.
The present average of students receiving regents diplomas in Herkimer, Ilion and Mohawk, between 72 and 85%.
This just one example, if anyone has more, either in favor or against the merger please post, but keep it to facts that can be verfied. No personal opinions or attacks please.
When comparing school districts and successfulness of mergers, one can not just assume that there is a direct positive correlation in the merge( increased enrollment)and increased graduation rates.
The #1 statisical fact, backed up by numerous sources and data is the link between improverished communities( school districts),and the percentage of graduation rates. Large schools in inner cities for example(NYC,Chicago, St.Louis, Newark)have among the largest enrollment and per student dollar allocation for education, yet are among the lowest in graduation rates and test scores. Very small disticts like owen D. Young who at times graduate less than a dozen pupils per year ranks very high in test scores and graduation rates.
Education is more about the hosting communities, their values and economic condition and opportunities.You can not simply conclude that a North Syracuse/ Cicero merger will automatically transcend to a successful Ilion, Herkimer/ Mohawk district. Each district is unique and opts to merge for diffferent reasons. The three valley districts looking to merge are more like the inner city schools, with high poverty rates, lack of econmic opportunities, and a society/ community relatively not willing and financially able to place high value on an education. Herkimer County has one of the lowest rates of Bachlors Degrees in the Country.

If we want real change for our kids we as parents and a community must be willing to change.Consolidation of municpal governments are a start, in that it eliminates waste and duplication, and in turn the size and reach of government.Small government is the beacon in which private enterprise is attracted, do to low taxes and regulations. Make this happen and the area's education will follow.
If you want hard data to back this up just look no further to the graduation rates of the 1950's and 60's in these communities( when employment and opportunity was high) and see the direct correlation of economic downward spiral and these percentages in recent years.
Very difficult for a child who is hungry, whose parents can barely afford a roof over their heads, and the constant insecurity and worry of family bankruptcy or employment to concentrate on education.
Lets work to resolve these issues, and the rest will resolve themselves.
Fairy Tales

Pompey, NY

#4 Sep 19, 2012
Owen D Young School Distict is one of the best in New York State, small personalized teacher. Can the City of New York claim the same success?

On the topic of Cicero-North Syracuse they do have much higher property tax assessments so he school levy is higher, henceforth, more money to work with. This is Herkimer County not the same scenario when you can buy a house in Ilion for a dollar.
School Merger Facts

Fayetteville, NY

#5 Sep 19, 2012
Owen D Young School District recieves very large endownments every year, which allows then to operate as they do. Without this funding every year, Owen D. Young could not survive. They will tell you that themselves.

I never said I was comparing the Mohawk Valley to the Syracuse suburbs. I was only trying to show that larger schools do not mean less educational opportunities as some have led people to believe.

For a closer comparision you could look at the Wellsville/Scio School District Merger. Which has apparently has been successful.
Cant buy an education

New York, NY

#6 Sep 19, 2012
School Merger Facts wrote:
Owen D Young School District recieves very large endownments every year, which allows then to operate as they do. Without this funding every year, Owen D. Young could not survive. They will tell you that themselves.
I never said I was comparing the Mohawk Valley to the Syracuse suburbs. I was only trying to show that larger schools do not mean less educational opportunities as some have led people to believe.
For a closer comparision you could look at the Wellsville/Scio School District Merger. Which has apparently has been successful.
Exactly the community i.e. endowments are the key to their success, not taxpayer funding. The attempts by liberals to try an equalize the playing field by throwing more money at the educational problem has not and will not work.
miller n cunnigham

Syracuse, NY

#7 Sep 20, 2012
are gay lovers so for that we are VOTING NO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herkimer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Twelve dogs victimized in animal abuse case (Oct '13) 18 min Becky 154
what happened to wood fired pizza truck guy? 58 min help 12
Poll Men, do you pee in the sink? (Aug '09) 1 hr Geronimo 330
Herkimer County Sheriff Debate 3 hr abc easy as 123 49
Herkimer Wrestlers at CVA and some students 3 hr Hankp 2
Dominick's Deli 4 hr help 39
highway men motorcycle club 9 hr Aristotle 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Herkimer Mortgages