Energy Plant Puts Cow Manure To Use - Community Events News Sto...

Full story: NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth

Piles of cow manure that were once considered an environmental problem now hold the promise of power, NBC 5 reported.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Aug 4, 2008
Leanna Wooten

Mckinney, TX

#1 Apr 23, 2008
Our farm is north east of Sherman and I will have manure for
this effort. Let's form a plan for us to get our manure to
the plant coming to Sherman. Very glad to see this common
sense approach coming full circle using our resources to
their fullest extent. Please have someone from Panda contact
me at wooten.insurance@sbcglobal.net .
Scott

Flushing, NY

#2 Apr 23, 2008
Does this plant keep mosquitoes away too? i am serious when I ask that. I used to be on a farm, if you want to keep Mosquitoes away burn a dried up cow patty. It would do it, as for the smell it was not a really strong smell.
Cindy

Delhi, LA

#3 Apr 23, 2008
It is my understanding that their are two problems with the production of ethanol: l. It uses valuable corn that results in high priced corn, a staple for many poor people, at the grocery store and 2. It is a fuel source that pollutes worse than fossil fuels resulting in greater greenhouse gas pollution to add to our already nearly too late climate corrections. New research has been done recently to use water, any kind, to act as a fuel source. It has already been used to operate smaller engines like coffee makers and lawn mowers. Cars will be next
eliminating the need for ethanol altogether.
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Apr 29, 2008
According to the latest research, corn and other raw food inputs, make up a small part of retail food prices: Much more to blame is the rest of the tab, the so-called "marketing bill,"which includes packaging, transportation and all other cost factors. These are highly energy-dependent and much more tied to price inflation. Also like oil refineries, ethanol plants are regulated by the U.S. environmental Protection Agency. But even more important to consider is the fact that ethanol adds oxygen to gasoline-improving combustion and reducing toxic exhaust emissions. adding ethanol to gasoline also dilutes the potency of these toxic chemicals-and greenhouse gas emissions. If we could increase ethanol to the target use of 15 billion gallons, we could see a 20 percent reduction in greenhouse gases.People also think ethanol would be bad for their vehicle, well you can use E85 if you have a flexed fueled vehicle, but any vehicle can take E10.
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Apr 29, 2008
Every major automaker in the world approves the use of E10 unleaded (10 percent ethanol/90 percent ordinary unleaded gasoline) under warranty. Ethanaol adds two to three points of octane to gasoline, helping improve engine performance. Ethanol helps keep fuel injectors clean-and it lowers the levels of toxic exhaust emissions. and new research even shows that mid-level ethanol blends may improve fuel mileage.
Kad

Terrell, TX

#6 Apr 29, 2008
Corn, corn meal and corn syrup are used in almost every packaged product on our grocery store shelves.
Corn is the main ingredient in almost every kind of livestock feed out there.
Plain feed corn for livestock has more then doubled in the past year. Do you think that this does not contribute to price inflation.
It sounds to me like you have some sort of agenda here.
Cricket wrote:
According to the latest research, corn and other raw food inputs, make up a small part of retail food prices: Much more to blame is the rest of the tab, the so-called "marketing bill,"which includes packaging, transportation and all other cost factors. These are highly energy-dependent and much more tied to price inflation. Also like oil refineries, ethanol plants are regulated by the U.S. environmental Protection Agency. But even more important to consider is the fact that ethanol adds oxygen to gasoline-improving combustion and reducing toxic exhaust emissions. adding ethanol to gasoline also dilutes the potency of these toxic chemicals-and greenhouse gas emissions. If we could increase ethanol to the target use of 15 billion gallons, we could see a 20 percent reduction in greenhouse gases.People also think ethanol would be bad for their vehicle, well you can use E85 if you have a flexed fueled vehicle, but any vehicle can take E10.
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Apr 29, 2008
No I am not in any sort of agenda pal.If you think that corn prices are the sole reason for inflation clearly you have not done your research. As a person interested in the ethanol industry I have done my research. Thankyou have a nice day!
Kad

Terrell, TX

#8 Apr 30, 2008
Cricket wrote:
No I am not in any sort of agenda pal.If you think that corn prices are the sole reason for inflation clearly you have not done your research. As a person interested in the ethanol industry I have done my research. Thankyou have a nice day!
Yes you have done your research and it is flawed.
Never did I say that corn prices are the sole reason for inflation but they sure are a contributing factor.Your research states only "raw food products" I was stating that it is not only the raw forms of corn and other ag. products that are a factor. Check out the price of corn oil or cattle feed.
It is very obvious that you are interested in the ethanol industry pal, thats why it looks like you have some sort of agenda.
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Apr 30, 2008
Take a chill pill you must have a lot of time on your hands. My point is there are other factors crucial for rising food prices instead of trying to lash out ethanol.Only 25 percent of the corn crop goes to make ethanol and that the forces driving rising prices in corn and other commodities has more to do with energy costs, increased consumption around the world and weather related production problems,and as for cattle feed have you ever heard of wet or dry distillers grains. Also whats your deal about an agenda I think you have an agenda mine is to inform. Have a nice day!
Kad

Terrell, TX

#10 Apr 30, 2008
Why would I need a "chill pill" was there anything at all aggressive in my reply to you?
We all know there are other factors, but you were the saying the price of corn is less of a factor then it truly is.You also failed to mention the other problems that using 25% of our corn crop toward the making of ethanol is causing.
I say you sound like you have an agenda because of the mis-information you posted. It sounds like you work in the ethanol production industry. W
And yes unfortunately I do have a lot of time on my hands ( very slow at work)
Cricket wrote:
Take a chill pill you must have a lot of time on your hands. My point is there are other factors crucial for rising food prices instead of trying to lash out ethanol.Only 25 percent of the corn crop goes to make ethanol and that the forces driving rising prices in corn and other commodities has more to do with energy costs, increased consumption around the world and weather related production problems,and as for cattle feed have you ever heard of wet or dry distillers grains. Also whats your deal about an agenda I think you have an agenda mine is to inform. Have a nice day!
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Apr 30, 2008
well maybe the chill pill thing was kind of overboard sorry pal. Just look at the national corn growers association website and ethanol industry website, because we will probably be here all day back and forth. To answer your question about me working in the ethanol industry I live near where ethanol will be booming and as a concerned citizen I took it upon myself to be more educated in that department.Sorry to hear it's slow at work may I ask what do you do?
Kad

Terrell, TX

#12 Apr 30, 2008
Printing industry. We print for a lot of advertising agencies. With things the way they are no one is advertising any sales, so no big signs, fliers, post cards, etc. Other companies have to make cuts somewhere and sometimes its us.
We aren't dying but we are slower then usual.
I'm sure we are not the only ones.
I also have a small farm where I raise beef cattle and horses so you can see where my opinion comes from.
I will look at the websites and see what they have to say.
Cricket wrote:
well maybe the chill pill thing was kind of overboard sorry pal. Just look at the national corn growers association website and ethanol industry website, because we will probably be here all day back and forth. To answer your question about me working in the ethanol industry I live near where ethanol will be booming and as a concerned citizen I took it upon myself to be more educated in that department.Sorry to hear it's slow at work may I ask what do you do?
Cricket

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for sharing as for me i am domestic engineer a fancy word for stay at home mom. I think everyone's opinion counts hell I used to be a little of the same way, well I was more curious I suppose.Since you raise cattle, when you look on the sites you might want to look in to the wet distillers grains (wetcake).It all depends if you live not to far from an ethanol plant. If you dont it probably won't benefit you as much.
DTA

Amarillo, TX

#14 Aug 4, 2008
yall are dumb asses

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hereford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 3 hr Wow Wee 524
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr Defiant1 17,876
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 4 hr That Fart Guy 22,285
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) 4 hr That Fart Guy 722
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) Thu Gasman 663
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) Aug 25 Gasman 618
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Aug 25 Gasman 512
•••
•••
Hereford Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hereford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••