What's going on in your garden this year?

Posted in the Henrietta Forum

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of177
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

My grandma's neighbor used to use the dandelion greens. Think she cooked them down into a soup or something. She told me this about 20 years ago, so the memory is a bit fuzzy. I thought about it though yesterday as I was pulling them up from the yard. If I didn't have the dog peeing and crapping everywhere, I'd consider it.

As for the beet greens, never done them before, but will give them a shot. I have a neighbor that said she'll gladly take them off my hands if I don't like them. I understand they're bitter, so I can cut that with a little apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar right?
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Truth wrote:
My grandma's neighbor used to use the dandelion greens. Think she cooked them down into a soup or something. She told me this about 20 years ago, so the memory is a bit fuzzy. I thought about it though yesterday as I was pulling them up from the yard. If I didn't have the dog peeing and crapping everywhere, I'd consider it.
As for the beet greens, never done them before, but will give them a shot. I have a neighbor that said she'll gladly take them off my hands if I don't like them. I understand they're bitter, so I can cut that with a little apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar right?
Yep. You can also mix them in fresh with lettuce in a salad. The bitterness adds to the taste of the dressing being used. THe longer you cook them down the less bitter as well. If you like Italian greens and beans the recipe works well with beet and dandelion greens.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

FTW wrote:
Never plant seed producing vegetables before Mothers Day. I wait till the week off Memorial day. Only greens,pods, and tubers before.
Someone judged my well known garden tip badly. Even went on to say off topic. I bet that person never planted something in their life (refuses to do any work for their food when their is welfare). I bet I know who SHE was.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#70
May 7, 2013
 
Truth wrote:
My grandma's neighbor used to use the dandelion greens. Think she cooked them down into a soup or something. She told me this about 20 years ago, so the memory is a bit fuzzy. I thought about it though yesterday as I was pulling them up from the yard. If I didn't have the dog peeing and crapping everywhere, I'd consider it.
As for the beet greens, never done them before, but will give them a shot. I have a neighbor that said she'll gladly take them off my hands if I don't like them. I understand they're bitter, so I can cut that with a little apple cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar right?
Does your dog use the front yard and the back?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#71
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

FTW wrote:
<quoted text>Someone judged my well known garden tip badly. Even went on to say off topic. I bet that person never planted something in their life (refuses to do any work for their food when their is welfare). I bet I know who SHE was.
Why am I not surprised. Notice who has and hasn't contributed to this thread of yours except by secretly, randomly giving arse wipe icons? Sucks to be them, huh?
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#72
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I have coined the term "Covert Rhonda-Ops" to explain the phenomena.
CapriceClassless

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#73
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

FTW wrote:
<quoted text>.I go down to Ellison Park and get 5gal. buckets full of horse manure and mix it with peat and leaves. I then dig down and make a bed of it and top it with suckers the heads of bullhead from the spring catch.Mound over them. When the carp spawn I'll throw them in between my mounds and bury them with chipped sticks from the yard,peat,and wood/charcoal ash ash.Along with all my coffee grounds and eggshells.
Oh stop it. You are making so hungry.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74
May 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

CapriceClassless wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh stop it. You are making so hungry.
Bwahahahahahahhaaha!
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#76
May 8, 2013
 
Bangbangall sumer wrote:
We make small hoop houses out of pvc pipe and plastic. If it gets really cold cover with blankets and burn a couple of kerosene lamps in them. Never lost a plant in fifteen years.
You my friend are on the right track. Thats how they do it in the fruit orchards with the chimney burners. Small charcoal grills in the center work well too.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77
May 8, 2013
 
Any experience with manure hot boxes?
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#79
May 8, 2013
 
Bangbangall sumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Years ago (many) my Uncle used to stack cow manure all around his boxes. I think about a foot high by a foot thick. He did it for years until he retired and bought a greenhouse.
What are you planting this year?How big is your plot?
Truth

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#80
May 8, 2013
 
Back yard, it's fenced in. It's also southern facing. I may eventually just switch to raised boxes. Then I don't have to worry about dog contamination.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#81
May 8, 2013
 
Truth wrote:
Back yard, it's fenced in. It's also southern facing. I may eventually just switch to raised boxes. Then I don't have to worry about dog contamination.
Colfax St. has some free lumber right now if you act fast. Don't let idiots convince you to use pressure treated wood.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#82
May 8, 2013
 
They finally have my favorite tomatoes back in stock at Van Putte! They're called "Fourth of July"!! Mature in a mere 49 days! The size of a golf ball on steroids and as sweet as grapes! I implore you to get them! They haven't had the plants in 6 years! The owner spewed some story that sounded like "blah, blah, blahN to me because I was in a zone trying to find the best six packs! Yay!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83
May 8, 2013
 
FTW wrote:
<quoted text>Colfax St. has some free lumber right now if you act fast. Don't let idiots convince you to use pressure treated wood.
I have a crap load of 3 by 3 striwish ps. Solid. My friend works a tall crane to lift pallets to roofs of buildings. Him and his buddies broke the pallets up and brought them to my house cuz I have a fireplace and was going to burn them. But they are too beautiful to burn. Great for bordering or building raised gardens. Wish we all knew each other in real life to share these things.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84
May 8, 2013
 
Steel City Steelers wrote:
<quoted text>I have a crap load of 3 by 3 striwish ps. Solid. My friend works a tall crane to lift pallets to roofs of buildings. Him and his buddies broke the pallets up and brought them to my house cuz I have a fireplace and was going to burn them. But they are too beautiful to burn. Great for bordering or building raised gardens. Wish we all knew each other in real life to share these things.
I have been thinking the same thing. Maybe we can all come up with a drop off point somewhere so people can trade supplies.Probably good you did not burn them in a fireplace. That pallet wood pops embers a lot and pine is not really good for your flue. Thanks for the tip on 4th of July's. I have not seen them in years either. I just thought it got over-strained or something.I wonder if it is the same genome or just rehybriding.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85
May 8, 2013
 
FTW wrote:
<quoted text>I have been thinking the same thing. Maybe we can all come up with a drop off point somewhere so people can trade supplies.Probably good you did not burn them in a fireplace. That pallet wood pops embers a lot and pine is not really good for your flue. Thanks for the tip on 4th of July's. I have not seen them in years either. I just thought it got over-strained or something.I wonder if it is the same genome or just rehybriding.
No. Burpee dropped them. Then some other company claimed them. He was saying something about 5 seeds cost a fortune. It's a hybrid. So can't be grown from the tomato seeds. Whatever. I was too obsessed with getting mine. Lol. Plus...my pallet strips are not pine. I would never burn pine. No way. They are redwood. Seriously some good shit.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#86
May 8, 2013
 
These are the pallets that the tall cranes raise up to new buildings. Pine isn't strong enough to hold that kind of weight.
FTW

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#87
May 8, 2013
 
Really good to know. I get pissed when the companies lose the genome and rehybridize and call it the same thing.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#88
May 8, 2013
 
He's the owner of Van Putte and overheard me and my friend talking about them...albeit, I was sooo excited and he came over and started to tell the story about how they came back into fruition but I was so obsessed that I blacked out for a second or three. Lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of177
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Henrietta Discussions

Search the Henrietta Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Cedric St. Louis sent to jail for fatal shootin... (Dec '10) 2 hr cophy 9
Dawn on the hot seat 2 hr GMAB 53
Rochester Topix is the most racist forum (Feb '12) 2 hr GMAB 140
Woman convicted in case tied to firefighter ambush 2 hr GMAB 2
the webster shooting, dawn 2 hr GMAB 8
Fight breaks out at Greece Ridge mall (Jan '08) 2 hr Failed White Culture 160
White Man Robs Tops in Avon 3 hr Zonked 11
•••
•••
•••
•••

Henrietta Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Henrietta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••