Coalville misses the boom - The Park Record

Full story: Park Record 55
As most cities in the area grew in the past decade, new Census data showed a once proud mining town near the northern edge of Summit County is smaller. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the Schmidt House

Woods Cross, UT

#1 Mar 15, 2011
see what happens when you dump all the retail growth in westetn Summit Co? Schmidt is unabashed in his stance on "put it in Park City", well here you go Mr Mayor. Take some growth do a little marketing, pay off Sen. Madsen maybe you still get a movie studio or a costco (look good on Crandall old lot
Summit up

New Berlin, NY

#2 Mar 15, 2011
Moving the jail and other County services away from the County Seat, Coalville, is probably the main reason the population has decreased, multiplyer effect locally.
4WhatItsWorth

Heber City, UT

#3 Mar 15, 2011
If the city planners in Coalville are anything like the city planners in Kamas...they just as soon let the business go elsewhere...unless you have at lease 3 generations of DNA backing you up.
Moe Henry

Kamas, UT

#4 Mar 15, 2011
You can get anything done on the south side if you go to the right church. All business is done on Sundays.
Snowbound

Heber City, UT

#5 Mar 16, 2011
Coalville's economy has suffered largely from the gutting of the County Government Services which has decreased the traffic flow in town. ie. Jail, Court, Heath Deaprtment and other county service offices.
The other problem is the land held by life long residents who refuse to sell for development. Lots of old houses that are over priced for sale and a lack of ready to occupy commercial buildings.
Old timers like Leon are another problem, constantly complaining and never having a solution to any problem. The man has never had a solution to anything. A lot of these old timers sat idly by and watched the Park City/County Commissioners rape everything and everyone over here. Its been going on for years and continues today. The theory that it was good enough for my grandfather, it should be good enough for my grandkids is a$$backwards.
Coalville has unlimited potential and needs to open its doors and reinvent itself.Coalville is prime for growth.
Name Change

Park City, UT

#6 Mar 16, 2011
Coal is so nineteenth century. How about a name change to naturalgasville or solarville? windville?
RWP1

Park City, UT

#7 Mar 16, 2011
"Coal" has great potential. However, I was told to my face that "The people of Coalville will not support a business owned by an outsider". This happened a few years back while my business partner and I checked out some prospects in town. Not a good sign. If a Costco type wanted to come here, that might draw some traffic and drive some east side growth. Who cares what the Deer Valley snobs think. They don't give a crap about you anyway. I always liked Coalville and think their best days are down the road.
Hippy Mayor

Park City, UT

#8 Mar 16, 2011
What Coalville needs is a corrupt city manager and dope smoking mayor that takes under the table money from developers that run amuck and ruins a good city like PC. Coalville, "take our mayor and city manager pleazzzzzzzzzzzz"
Rocket Man

Park City, UT

#9 Mar 16, 2011
I think it's gonna a be long, long time before Coalville amounts to anything again. First, you have an inbred population of a few families and if you don't belong to the Church, forget it. There is already insufficient population to support much of anything and no reason to go there from anywhere else (Henefer?). A Costco? HA! Can't even support a decent size Smith's or Fresh Market, much less a Costco. Might as well be in Evanston. As much of the County growth is in the Basin, the government (and employees) has somewhat followed, as noted in other posts.

I don't know how PC as "raped everything and everyone over here" as Snowbound posts. The County Commission now Council maybe.
Snow Bound

Heber City, UT

#10 Mar 16, 2011
Rocket Man wrote:
I think it's gonna a be long, long time before Coalville amounts to anything again. First, you have an inbred population of a few families and if you don't belong to the Church, forget it. There is already insufficient population to support much of anything and no reason to go there from anywhere else (Henefer?). A Costco? HA! Can't even support a decent size Smith's or Fresh Market, much less a Costco. Might as well be in Evanston. As much of the County growth is in the Basin, the government (and employees) has somewhat followed, as noted in other posts.
I don't know how PC as "raped everything and everyone over here" as Snowbound posts. The County Commission now Council maybe.
I was refering to the County Commission or Council which is 4 to 1 in favor of Park City. The current Council has to Google Map directions to the courthouse.
Bacon ring

Park City, UT

#11 Mar 16, 2011
Location location location.
art fan

Midvale, UT

#12 Mar 16, 2011
Coalville is in a beautiful location and only 20 minutes from a world class area (sorry, PC is world class to the rest of the world, deny all you want!). It's their own fault for not capitalizing. You can't have growth, when the population doesn't want it. The citizens of Coalville bitch about not receiving the benefits of growth, but they resist growth. Sorry, you can't have one without the other. Yes, PC has its problems but it is also balanced by the added amenities to the town. I also love how the right wing east siders claim how PC has been ruined, but they love to push for unrestricted property rights. Most of the negatives in PC can be attributed to unrestricted property rights. Gotta love the 1 million square feet of commercial space the church had plan at the junction. I wonder if the east siders would have criticize that?
Right Winger

Kamas, UT

#13 Mar 17, 2011
art fan wrote:
Coalville is in a beautiful location and only 20 minutes from a world class area (sorry, PC is world class to the rest of the world, deny all you want!). It's their own fault for not capitalizing. You can't have growth, when the population doesn't want it. The citizens of Coalville **** about not receiving the benefits of growth, but they resist growth. Sorry, you can't have one without the other. Yes, PC has its problems but it is also balanced by the added amenities to the town. I also love how the right wing east siders claim how PC has been ruined, but they love to push for unrestricted property rights. Most of the negatives in PC can be attributed to unrestricted property rights. Gotta love the 1 million square feet of commercial space the church had plan at the junction. I wonder if the east siders would have criticize that?
Dear Artsy Fartsy - So you think PC is still a "World Class" location, you obviously have not been anywhere else. Much credit to Park Shitty for lobby magazines and other promotional avenues to get positive ratings - Park Shitty is a pain in the arse to enter into and a pain in the arse to exit. The City Council and Mayor allowed a great big hog called the Montage to be built as well as other large developments that cannot be sustained by the current traffic and public works infrastructure. Furthermore Park Shitty has been more than happy to take water shares from us "right wingers" and others so they can continue to exist on the map. On top of all that, it is built on mine tailings that continue to be a current and future problem for the city. So you go ahead and say it is "world class", I like Telluride and Durango. Now get back to painting your picture with your rose colored glasses.
Scott

Park City, UT

#14 Mar 17, 2011
Right Winger wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Artsy Fartsy - So you think PC is still a "World Class" location, you obviously have not been anywhere else. Much credit to Park Shitty for lobby magazines and other promotional avenues to get positive ratings - Park Shitty is a pain in the arse to enter into and a pain in the arse to exit. The City Council and Mayor allowed a great big hog called the Montage to be built as well as other large developments that cannot be sustained by the current traffic and public works infrastructure. Furthermore Park Shitty has been more than happy to take water shares from us "right wingers" and others so they can continue to exist on the map. On top of all that, it is built on mine tailings that continue to be a current and future problem for the city. So you go ahead and say it is "world class", I like Telluride and Durango. Now get back to painting your picture with your rose colored glasses.
This is rich; you prefer Telluride and Durango? What a hypocrit. Talk about places that are really a pain to get to and out of. You do know that the head of the box canyon at Telluride is a Superfund site, right? Full of mine tailings. You complain about the Montage, how about Mountain Village which is ten times worse.

By the way, Park City (like almost every other place in the West) buys water shares from willing sellers. Go back to putting your head up your cows arse.
Suburban Sprawl

Park City, UT

#15 Mar 17, 2011
World class? I wouldn't call any Salt Lake suburb, including Park City, "world-class".
Anonymous Parkite

Park City, UT

#16 Mar 17, 2011
Coalville should cal down to temple square to get the LDS Stimulus package to jumpstart their economy.

Better yet, they need to just pray harder, and it will magically turn around for them. All the years I have lived here they vote against park city, and have voted for the east side constituents instead of the west side.

The should just dump Park City and become their own county.
Anonymous Parkite

Park City, UT

#17 Mar 17, 2011
Right Winger wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Right Winger, if you hate Park City, DON"T COME HERE!!!
Right Winger

Kamas, UT

#18 Mar 17, 2011
I dont, and there are many others that feel the same. We will take our open country over your hazardous waste site any day of the week. Back to ya, stop taking our water. Unlike PC, Coalville actually produces something, through hard work, with some very good agriculture products (beef, dairy ect) Ha ha.
Right Winger

Kamas, UT

#19 Mar 17, 2011
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
This is rich; you prefer Telluride and Durango? What a hypocrit. Talk about places that are really a pain to get to and out of. You do know that the head of the box canyon at Telluride is a Superfund site, right? Full of mine tailings. You complain about the Montage, how about Mountain Village which is ten times worse.
By the way, Park City (like almost every other place in the West) buys water shares from willing sellers. Go back to putting your head up your cows arse.
Telluride, Durango, Jacksonhole, all better place including better sking without the attitude of Park City's California-ites. Less population easier growth and prettier country. Montage what a joke, in a middle of canyon with one way in one way out. Lastly you finally say something correct for your existence you need water, which you have to buy, without your toast. Any cows arse is better than any day in Park Shitty. Now go ski down your hill for the millineth time.
Snowbound

Heber City, UT

#20 Mar 17, 2011
Why is it that Coalville staying status quo is such a difficult thing that has any concern to Parkites? Most people in Coalville want our town to remain small.Im sure the margin of error in the census is larger than the 1.4% of population loss. Coalville's a nice place with good people. Yes, the City needs to have some growth and the economy is bad everywhere right now. Coalville's a nice place to live.
I think Coalville has gotten the short end of the stick on a lot of occassions when it comes to the county government and the fair distribution of funding by the county. That has a lot to do with the west side filling positions of power with west side canidates. No representation and no voice! That's certainly not fair.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henefer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Balanced Body Physical Therapy Jan '15 Unsatisfied 1
Home Burglary Dec '14 Jewel 1
Horny Mormon Guy (Feb '14) Dec '14 Streetrunner 2
Sheriff's Report, Dec. 3-5, 2014 Dec '14 Beatfeet 1
The whale in the fields of Farmington is it real? Dec '14 Fish12 2
Utah nude sunbather to fight lewdness charges (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jay Hova 4
County's trash talks continue - The Park Record (Nov '11) Nov '11 HA HA 3
Henefer Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web