North Carolina man loses $49k collection of poison snakes

Feb 25, 2012 Full story: Boston Herald 28

A North Carolina man is losing his exotic reptile collection worth $49,000 after police found dozens of venomous lizards and snakes in his home.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 25, 2012
He should lose them, if he's careless enough to get bitten himself, he's careless enough to have escapees. Besides, in addition to human welfare concerns, there are the reptiles to consider,.. it didn't sound as if the specimens were caged and cared for properly.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#2 Feb 25, 2012
Did he have the proper permits to keep them?

“Jody”

Location hidden

#3 Feb 25, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
Did he have the proper permits to keep them?
He was charged for possessing them, so no. Also he had endangered reptiles in the collection. Had some in "jars". How non-habitate is that?

“Kool-Aid”

Since: Dec 11

Jonestown S.Africa

#4 Feb 25, 2012
I had a friend that had a rattlesnake

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#5 Feb 25, 2012
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
He was charged for possessing them, so no. Also he had endangered reptiles in the collection. Had some in "jars". How non-habitate is that?
Good point!

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#6 Feb 25, 2012
Anti-venom is not always available for incidents of snakebite by exotic species in the U.S. A bite from a
snake with fast acting venom could leave one SOL if anti-venom is not available.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#7 Feb 25, 2012
Maybe he was hoping for a Hollywood movie contract..
Moliner

Enterprise, AL

#8 Feb 25, 2012
Me ex was a real snake.
Romney s Hair Olympics

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Feb 25, 2012
SitHappened wrote:
I had a friend that had a rattlesnake
We note you said "had."
Romney s Hair Olympics

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Feb 25, 2012
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on your additional information I think we can conclude this guy is a real aspwipe.

“Stop libel and bullying.”

Spotted World

#11 Feb 25, 2012
For goodness snakes!

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#12 Feb 25, 2012
Romney s Hair Olympics wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on your additional information I think we can conclude this guy is a real aspwipe.
Although I would not use the same language you use, this is a rare time when I am in basic agreement with you.

Spotted World

#13 Feb 26, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Although I would not use the same language you use, this is a rare time when I am in basic agreement with you.
I liked his pun.... he used the word asp, not the rude word.
Romney s Hair Olympics

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Feb 26, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>Although I would not use the same language you use....
That's because you're a humorless, fundie moron who cannot grasp a simple pun. That's why you wouldn't us my language...because you can't read.
Romney s Hair Olympics

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Feb 26, 2012
"Use"! Oh Lawd, not a good time to make a typo.

Spotted World

#16 Feb 26, 2012
flbadcatowner wrote:
Anti-venom is not always available for incidents of snakebite by exotic species in the U.S. A bite from a
snake with fast acting venom could leave one SOL if anti-venom is not available.
Exactly. For instance, there is no FDA approved coral snake venom in the US. The manufacturers felt that since bites by them were so rare since those snakes have a shy temperament and only strike when cornered, it was not worthwhile to keep making the antivenom. For years, the FDA kept readjusting the dates on out of date stock since if you must have a choice between none at all and what may or may not work, a false hope may be better than none at all. There are synthetic alternatives in other countries, but they have never been submitted for FDA approval, so the FDA won't allow their use.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#17 Feb 26, 2012
<quoted text>
That's because you're a humorless, fundie moron who cannot grasp a simple pun. That's why you wouldn't us my language...because you can't read.
Just once I agree with you and you spoil it with your vitriolic nonsense.

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#18 Feb 26, 2012
Spotted Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. For instance, there is no FDA approved coral snake venom in the US. The manufacturers felt that since bites by them were so rare since those snakes have a shy temperament and only strike when cornered, it was not worthwhile to keep making the antivenom. For years, the FDA kept readjusting the dates on out of date stock since if you must have a choice between none at all and what may or may not work, a false hope may be better than none at all. There are synthetic alternatives in other countries, but they have never been submitted for FDA approval, so the FDA won't allow their use.
Coral snake bites are not nearly as deadly as they are reputed to be. That two minute nonsense is just that. Usually, it takes hours before any symptoms start to show and only about 10% of untreated bites are actually fatal. Even without anti-venom, mechanical breathing assistance can usually save a victim who is severely envenomated as death from coral snake bites is usually due to suffocation from respiratory paralysis.

Coral snakes have one of the most deadly venoms, drop for drop, but they have so little of it and have such poorly developed fangs that usually, not enough venom is injected to cause a fatality. The last reported fatality from a coral snake involved drinking, and alcohol which dulls the nervous system compounds the effect of the venom which is a nerve poison much the same way that alcohol and sedatives can be a fatal mix.
Samuel L Jackson

Hampton, VA

#20 Feb 26, 2012
So who put all these MFN snakes in these MFN jars???

“I call it as I see it.”

Retirement City

#21 Feb 26, 2012
<quoted text>
Shut up, you bigot. You have been just as ignorant in this thread as you have been in every other.
You've confused me for a person who is not waiting for sick homophobes like you to pass away demographically. Don't ever make that mistake again, you idiot.
I wonder how many of my posts ill educated dolts like you read in Offbeat unawares of any wordplay. Perhaps every single one of them.
I will start by giving you the benefit of the doubt by asking if you even realize what forum we are in here rather than lambast you for being light years off topic. My information that I have expressed about coral snake bites is consistent with the latest knowledge about the subject, unlike the subjective delusional hype you spew about me. I will politely inform you that this is not a gay rights or religious issues thread and that you ought to confine your comments about such topics to more appropriate forums. Word play or not, I am inclined to stop short of using word plays that sound too similar to a vulgar reference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hendersonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Hendersonville, NC (Aug '10) 4 hr alonso carbajal 30
Internet Service Provider Sat Brads Place 1
E. Dorsey Dec 20 Friend 1
East Flat Rock Music Selection (Aug '12) Dec 20 men 16
Fugitive from Florida arrested (Aug '08) Dec 12 jon1 12
Rats! Dec 4 hum 3
Hendersonville Music Thread (May '14) Nov '14 Musikologist 2
Hendersonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web