Hendersonville seems bent on becoming...

Hendersonville seems bent on becoming obstacle course

There are 22 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Sep 21, 2007, titled Hendersonville seems bent on becoming obstacle course. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Well, I can't be quiet any longer. The city of Hendersonville is going ahead - again - with the weirdest thing it has come up with since that serpentine thing they call Historic Main Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Better MOVE

Greenville, SC

#1 Sep 22, 2007
Millard, I wouldnt go to downtown Hooterville anymore if I were you, it seems to bother you.
OUTSPOKEN

United States

#2 Sep 22, 2007
I grew up with an image of Hendersonville as q place where rich folks lived and played but over the past many years I have found that Hendersonville was just like any other city in the US - a growing town with many problems.
It is out of the way for most of us.does not offer any thing that cannot be gotten at most any place in Asheville or surrounding towns.
I am sure that it is a nice place to live but so is most any place in WNC.
Liberals sux

Great Falls, MT

#3 Sep 22, 2007
Making it harder for the drunk illegal Mexicans to drive.

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#4 Sep 22, 2007
Why not 4 way stops in the downtown Hendersonville. It will probably allow traffic to move at a better pace than the antiquated lights that stayed red forever when there was absolutely no traffic on the side streets.

The LTE writer calims to have been on the HPD. He must have been the one in charge of the donut runs that use to use his lights run stop lights in order to get to the shop while the donuts were still hot. I'm not teasing about that. I was almost hit at an intersection by a cop car who after entering the intersection that I was alread in turned on his blue lights.Guess that was incase he hit me he could claim he had his lights on and I ignored them. A few blocks down the road the car was sitting at the local donut shop. Same car same number on the car. Get em while they hot boys!

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Location hidden

#5 Sep 22, 2007
Downtown Hendersonville has a bunch of crappy little stores catering to damnyankees (not unlike downtown Brevard) and terrible parking. Why not straighten the street and return to the angled parking they had before? How about no stop signs or lights on a wider Main St and stop signs on the side streets?

Corinth, Texas

#6 Sep 22, 2007
I thought the design of downtown mainstreet was absolutley unique. In fact a friend of mine from HUD was the planner on that. It was not the first small town to do so and it certainly has not been the last. The purpose was to provide parking while also providing an attractive downtown . It worked. If I am not mistaken Hendersonville won an award for the design shortly after it was done. Man of us attempted to get Johnson City, TN to do the same thing. They went half way and planted trees which soon died, still had nothing downtown and it died as well. It sits like a ghost town. Hendersonville was smart.

Location hidden

#7 Sep 22, 2007
We must have been in different Hendersonvilles. I'd say about 2/3 of the parking disappeared after making the street so crooked. Fortunately, a Super Walmart is only a couple of miles away with Sam' Club, gas station, Chik-Fil-A, JackInTheBox, Radio Shack, and Staples all together with tons of parking. Hopefully, a Best Buy or Circuit City will go in. That's my kind of shopping locale.

Sonic is also handy, but they are a huge Democrat Party supporter, so we don't eat there.

Corinth, Texas

#8 Sep 22, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
We must have been in different Hendersonvilles. I'd say about 2/3 of the parking disappeared after making the street so crooked. Fortunately, a Super Walmart is only a couple of miles away with Sam' Club, gas station, Chik-Fil-A, JackInTheBox, Radio Shack, and Staples all together with tons of parking. Hopefully, a Best Buy or Circuit City will go in. That's my kind of shopping locale.
Sonic is also handy, but they are a huge Democrat Party supporter, so we don't eat there.
No, same Hendersonville. The purpose of the street design was to limit vehicles on the main shopping area. Parking was designed to be on side and back streets.

And lawman, it is that kind of thinking(That's my kind of shopping locale. speaking of the stripmall) that has caused downtowns like Hendersonville to become shops for your dreaded yankees. During my assignments across the US I saw many small towns become ghost towns because once a single strip mall was developed people abandoned downtowns and made a mad rush for the novelty of walking a quarter of a mile to get to a store. The same one's are those who complained about downtown not having parking becasue they had to walk half a block to get to the local hardware store or shoe store which has now been replaced by a junk store fronting as a hardware selling junk made in Mexico and China. The shoe store has been replaced by a "latte shoppe" which caters to your dreaded yankees and your shoes come from the mall and are made in China. I love the "bears" in Hendersonville and think who ever came up with the idea deserves a medal for the efforts to keep a small downtown alive.

Location hidden

#9 Sep 22, 2007
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Shoppers vote with their feet. People abandoned downtowns because somebody came up with a better idea. Most shoppers want close parking and easy, fast, access and the businesses to be open late and on Sundays. If the downtown is good and can provide those features, it will thrive. If the downtown dies, then so be it. It should have put in better parking when it had the chance to do so. No loss.
Living in Hendersonville

Charlotte, NC

#10 Sep 22, 2007
Ticker wrote:
<quoted text>
No, same Hendersonville. The purpose of the street design was to limit vehicles on the main shopping area. Parking was designed to be on side and back streets.
And lawman, it is that kind of thinking(That's my kind of shopping locale. speaking of the stripmall) that has caused downtowns like Hendersonville to become shops for your dreaded yankees. During my assignments across the US I saw many small towns become ghost towns because once a single strip mall was developed people abandoned downtowns and made a mad rush for the novelty of walking a quarter of a mile to get to a store. The same one's are those who complained about downtown not having parking becasue they had to walk half a block to get to the local hardware store or shoe store which has now been replaced by a junk store fronting as a hardware selling junk made in Mexico and China. The shoe store has been replaced by a "latte shoppe" which caters to your dreaded yankees and your shoes come from the mall and are made in China. I love the "bears" in Hendersonville and think who ever came up with the idea deserves a medal for the efforts to keep a small downtown alive.
Thank you Ticker. You're right on.(Retirelawman **is** one of those damn yankees he's maligning). People who live here shop here too. We have McFarland's Bakery which has been here for decades -- still going strong. And there's Sherman's Sports which has also been here for decades as well. Several good places to dine. Historic buildings remain. The bears are great. And I rarely have any problem finding a parking space -- as you say, much of it on the side streets and its designed that way.

Location hidden

#11 Sep 23, 2007
Sorry, but Retiredlawman's yankeeness has been revoked by Transylvania County's, Sons of the Confederacy chapter, thank you.

And, we haven't shopped in the wrong part of downtown H'ville since they did away with the angle parking. However, I'm sad to report that Expressions, who did have angle parking out front, is going out of business. Business was good, but the owner's health is declining.
Living in Hendersonville

Dillon, SC

#12 Sep 23, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
Sorry, but Retiredlawman's yankeeness has been revoked by Transylvania County's, Sons of the Confederacy chapter, thank you.
And, we haven't shopped in the wrong part of downtown H'ville since they did away with the angle parking.
Wherever there is no angle parking, you do not tread. Very good.

As for your yankeeness, you may claim it has been revoked, but that hasn't done anything to remove the poison of negativity that has infested you.

Location hidden

#13 Sep 23, 2007
My poison has a drawing of a Wild Turkey on the label.

Corinth, Texas

#14 Sep 23, 2007
retiredlawman wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Shoppers vote with their feet. People abandoned downtowns because somebody came up with a better idea. Most shoppers want close parking and easy, fast, access and the businesses to be open late and on Sundays. If the downtown is good and can provide those features, it will thrive. If the downtown dies, then so be it. It should have put in better parking when it had the chance to do so. No loss.
A "better idea" is only as good as people will respond. However if business stays in downtown so will people. Problem was that in the 60's developers came up with the idea of building a strip mall and putting a K-Mart in them and a few other junky stores. Soon the local business owners paniced because they saw some of their dollars going out to the strip mall. Instead of sprucing up the store they were in a bit and demanding that downtown spruce up as well, such as off street parking behind the stores etc, they ran scared and as soon as the next strip mall came along they moved their store to the burbs. I watched as JC Penny's , Sears, Hannah's Mens store(local shop) moved to the burbs. Kress closed because they continued to carry the same old same old stuff in the same old dusty counters instead of coming into the 20th century. Business people panicked and even the banks moved to the burbs in the strip malls and eventually the great concrete jungles of covered malls. People who complained of walking half a block were now willing to drive in circles for half an hour for a parking place close to the mall or else park in the backside and walk half a mile to buy what they were buying when it was downtown but paying half again more for the product. Overhead in malls drove up the price. When people stopped or slowed their buying, the stores replaced the quality good with cheap shoddy goods and doubled the price.
Downtown's died, or at least those who did not move into the next century , spruce up the area or make it different in appearence that the next hick town up the road. Those who improved salvaged inpart the heart and soul of the community. The survived, in a bit different form perhaps but instead of a ghost town they were alive.
I grieve everytime I drive down the mainstreet of my hometown. The stores I once shopped in are now boarded up and have become havens for drug addicts and rats. The few stores that remain struggle to keep the doors open or else are family owned and depend on family members to run them. When those family members no longer are willing to stand around and look busy and hope that someone will come in and buy something they too will be shuttered and boarded up. Hendersonville at least has survived, in a different form than it was in the 60's and early 70's when I would visit there, but it has survived. Good for those who have a vision. I believe there is a scripture that says, "Where there is no vision, people perish."

Angled parking is fine for those who can not parallel park. Either way is fine with me.
Rick Redmond

Northbrook, IL

#15 Oct 12, 2008
I was born and raised there and my family goes at least 4 generations back in Henderson Co. I will always cherish and remember the old Hendersonville......the REAL Hendersonville. Before the serpentine, before the new municipal complex (back when the old Court House was the center of town), before the Blue Ridge Mall and all of sprawl of stores around it, back when Jackson Park was still a swamp, when the airport there near Blue Ridge Tech. College was still owned by the Winkler's, when the Dutch Inn was still in business there on Hwy. 25, When Rose's Dept. Store was the place to buy things and Winn Dixie there and Community Cash on Main Street was where everybody bought their groceries.
When the Apple Festival really was a place to meet all of your friends and their parents and everyone really knew each other, when the 4th of July took place at Hendersonville High School/Deitz field. When Edney's Lake out in Crab Creek (where I grew up) was the place to go see Christmas Lights.
Back when there were no yankees trying to take over, monopolize the real estate and run city council. Everyone was a real community who really knew and actively cared for one another. Back when all of my friends at Valley Hill Elementary School, Flat Rock and East High knew that our parents all went to school together, had the same teachers and even most of our grandparents went to school together as well. When people would give you the shirt off their backs simply because you were a neighbor and because of their sincere Christian conviction. Back when people were humble, quiet, COUNTRY, conservative, and Hard Working and who didn't want to see how danged fruity, exotic or commercialized or Liberal they could be.
THAT is the Hendersonville I will always remember.......my hometown.
Just a little town

Lincolnton, NC

#16 Oct 12, 2008
Nothing special and nothing bad. It is too bad it has been overtaken with transplant of the elder variety. Driving there is a nightmare. No one goes over 20 mph. They do have money though and I guess that's what Hendersonville wants and needs. Carry on with progress and may all your subdivisions increase your tax base.
Rick Redmond

Northbrook, IL

#17 Oct 12, 2008
Over the past 20 years, I have spent 4-5 years living in San Fransisco and the last 14 living here in downtown Chicago. Don't tell me what a "city" is, I know quite well. What hurts this native of such a wonderful "little town" as someone just called it, is when others who are not from there and have no history there (like the rest of us who go back at least 4 generations) feel the need to come in and try to create a big city feel in a small, local town, covering the country-side with strip malls and dotting the mountains with endless houses; a town with with a very rich and in many cases prestigious history that few of us (obviously) are qualified to remember and understand at the heart level.
Ya want a "big city", then move your butt up here to Chicago where I am now and have been for going on 2 decades. Come dive into the real thing! It beats trying to synthesize a pretentious counterfeit in a setting where it just doesn't fit at all.
It's not just a "little town", it is MY hometown and where the memories of my childhood, adolescence, my entire family and heritage rests in peace. Thank you very much.
Blessings,
Harriet

Lincolnton, NC

#18 Oct 12, 2008
It isn't the same place anymore. Too many transplants, too much development, too many fancy ideas to make it like Maggie Valley. All they need is the freaking dancing bear and some indian crap to sell.
Gordon Smith

Avon, IN

#19 Oct 23, 2009
Hendersonville is not Maggie Valley nor ever will be. Transplants have made this town into a unique place that keeps getting better each year. I always look forward to going home. It like any other place will never stay the same. It is always transforming and getting better. The shops on main street are a prime example. Yo u don't go to there to buy something cheap like you would at Wal-mart. But then again Maybe YOUR gifts come from big box stores and don't have much meaning or thought behind them.
Joel Benson

North Weymouth, MA

#20 Aug 31, 2011
retiredlawman wrote:
As the Owner of Chick-fil-A, I appreciate you come my way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hendersonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christmas Bird Count volunteers inform conserva... Jan '18 Razor 12000 3
News Profiler looks at unsolved Worley murder case (Sep '10) Dec '17 obama muslim 4
News Efforts to repeal NC 'bathroom bill' are an at ... (Mar '17) Dec '17 Santa 7
Obituaries (May '17) Nov '17 Teacher 4
News Man charged with assaulting officers (Jun '07) Oct '17 Caerleon 44
East Flat Rock Music Selection (Aug '12) Aug '17 Musikologist 23
Hookers in Hendo (Apr '12) May '17 Double D 8

Hendersonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hendersonville Mortgages