tip sonic workers?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curious

United States

#1 Jun 17, 2013
Just wondering if I'm supposed to be tipping sonic workers. Doesn't someone else take the orders....so all they do is run the food out. Its not like they r actually waiting on me. And u don't tip any other fast food place.
OneOnOne

United States

#2 Jun 17, 2013
curious wrote:
Just wondering if I'm supposed to be tipping sonic workers. Doesn't someone else take the orders....so all they do is run the food out. Its not like they r actually waiting on me. And u don't tip any other fast food place.
I do, not a bunch...but try to have a dollar to give them...especially in this heat...most of them hustle...but that's just me, not sure what the rules are.
Lets get it on

Logansport, LA

#3 Jun 17, 2013
Dont mind tipping people but I had one ask me the other day "You dont want the small change, do you?". It was only .35 cents and I was planning on telling him to just keep it but when he asked I told him yes I want my change back.
Baby

Longview, TX

#4 Jun 17, 2013
It is usual and customary to tip car hops.
serendipity

Dallas, TX

#5 Jun 17, 2013
Tipping is always the right thing to do when someone helps you.. Whether it's carrying groceries to ur car, carrying food out to your car, or helping u move things at home! Yes that's why they get paid but just remember we all have to make a living somehow!
yes

Henderson, TX

#6 Jun 17, 2013
Carhops only make waitress minimum wage which is 2.35 an hour
curious

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2013
So instead of handing my food through a window....they walk it 30 feet. And that constitutes paying extra for some sort of service? That's ridiculous... not that its wrong to tip...but that sonic expects everyone to pay for tipping their employees when they don't actually wait on u...hence the term waiter/waitress
Lets get it on

Logansport, LA

#8 Jun 18, 2013
Carhops and waiters/waitress may only make $2.13/hour but they still get paid minimum wage. The employer has to make up the difference.

1. Where an employee does not receive sufficient tips to make up the difference between the direct (or cash) wage payment (which must be at least $2.13 per hour) and the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.

2. Where an employee receives tips only and is paid no cash wage, the full minimum wage is owed.

3. Where deductions for walk-outs, breakage, or cash register shortages reduce the employee’s wages below the minimum wage, such deductions are illegal. Where a tipped employee is paid $2.13 per hour in direct (or cash) wages and the employer claims the maximum tip credit of $5.12 per hour, no such deductions can be made without reducing the employee below the minimum wage (even where the employee receives more than $5.12 per hour in tips).

4. Where a tipped employee is required to contribute to a tip pool that includes employees who do not customarily and regularly receive tips, the employee is owed all tips he or she contributed to the pool and the full $7.25 minimum wage.
resident

Henderson, TX

#9 Jun 18, 2013
Lets get it on wrote:
Carhops and waiters/waitress may only make $2.13/hour but they still get paid minimum wage. The employer has to make up the difference.
1. Where an employee does not receive sufficient tips to make up the difference between the direct (or cash) wage payment (which must be at least $2.13 per hour) and the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.
2. Where an employee receives tips only and is paid no cash wage, the full minimum wage is owed.
3. Where deductions for walk-outs, breakage, or cash register shortages reduce the employee’s wages below the minimum wage, such deductions are illegal. Where a tipped employee is paid $2.13 per hour in direct (or cash) wages and the employer claims the maximum tip credit of $5.12 per hour, no such deductions can be made without reducing the employee below the minimum wage (even where the employee receives more than $5.12 per hour in tips).
4. Where a tipped employee is required to contribute to a tip pool that includes employees who do not customarily and regularly receive tips, the employee is owed all tips he or she contributed to the pool and the full $7.25 minimum wage.
What is the source of this information?
Who enforces this supposed policy?
Has anyone here established what Sonic servers are paid?(Are they paid as other restaurant workers, assuming they would be tipped, or are they paid more?)
I've never understood why servers can be paid such a small amount compared to other minimum-wage earners. Part 4 of your list describes a scenario I experienced when I worked as a server several years ago - I had to "tip out" a percentage of the ticket sales to the bartender and hostess, regardless of how much I made in tips. There were times I had to shell out my own money to them and took home nothing besides my petty hourly wage... and not always because of poor service. People sometimes tip poorly for reasons beyond the server's control. Thankfully, my time as a server ended when I finished my education and found better-paying work. But I always tip well, now!
Lets get it on

Logansport, LA

#10 Jun 18, 2013

US Department of Labor

Wage and Hour Division

Fact Sheet #15: Tipped Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Overtime Problems:

1. Where the employer takes the tip credit, overtime is calculated on the full minimum wage, not the lower direct (or cash) wage payment. The employer may not take a larger tip credit for an overtime hour than for a straight time hour (i.e.,$4.00 tip credit per hour for the nonovertime hours and $5.12 tip credit per hour for overtime hours).

2. Where overtime is not paid based on the regular rate including all service charges, commissions, bonuses, and other remuneration.


Requirements

The employer must provide the following information to a tipped employee before the employer may use the tip credit:

1) the amount of cash wage the employer is paying a tipped employee, which must be at least $2.13 per hour;

2) the additional amount claimed by the employer as a tip credit, which cannot exceed $5.12 (the difference between the minimum required cash wage of $2.13 and the current minimum wage of $7.25);

3) that the tip credit claimed by the employer cannot exceed the amount of tips actually received by the tipped employee;

4) that all tips received by the tipped employee are to be retained by the employee except for a valid tip pooling arrangement limited to employees who customarily and regularly receive tips; and

5) that the tip credit will not apply to any tipped employee unless the employee has been informed of these tip credit provisions.
resident

Henderson, TX

#11 Jun 18, 2013
Lets get it on wrote:
US Department of Labor
Wage and Hour Division
Fact Sheet #15: Tipped Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Overtime Problems:
1. Where the employer takes the tip credit, overtime is calculated on the full minimum wage, not the lower direct (or cash) wage payment. The employer may not take a larger tip credit for an overtime hour than for a straight time hour (i.e.,$4.00 tip credit per hour for the nonovertime hours and $5.12 tip credit per hour for overtime hours).
2. Where overtime is not paid based on the regular rate including all service charges, commissions, bonuses, and other remuneration.
Requirements
The employer must provide the following information to a tipped employee before the employer may use the tip credit:
1) the amount of cash wage the employer is paying a tipped employee, which must be at least $2.13 per hour;
2) the additional amount claimed by the employer as a tip credit, which cannot exceed $5.12 (the difference between the minimum required cash wage of $2.13 and the current minimum wage of $7.25);
3) that the tip credit claimed by the employer cannot exceed the amount of tips actually received by the tipped employee;
4) that all tips received by the tipped employee are to be retained by the employee except for a valid tip pooling arrangement limited to employees who customarily and regularly receive tips; and
5) that the tip credit will not apply to any tipped employee unless the employee has been informed of these tip credit provisions.
Okay, now I know the source - but I'm not sure I understood what it said. Maybe I'll try again after a decent night's sleep...
Okay

Longview, TX

#12 Jun 19, 2013
What about nursing .... Someone that "helps" and they
DON'T get tips... There is a ton of professionals who "help" without being tipped!!
d.a.

Arlington, TX

#13 Jun 21, 2013
yes wrote:
Carhops only make waitress minimum wage which is 2.35 an hour
Lol!!!!!! They do not get paid 2.35 like waitresses because 1st of all waitresses only get paid 2.13 and have gotten that same amount for 20 years!!!(Coming from a former waitress of 8 years). They get paid minimum wage like every other FF worker. If they wear roller blades they get paid a dollar extra per hour. But yes since they are constantly running outside and NOT just standing in the a/c at a drive through window you should tip a little (like the left over change) or a dollar or two depending on how much you ordered.
someone

United States

#14 Jun 28, 2013
What about nursing .... Someone that "helps" and they
DON'T get tips... There is a ton of professionals who "help" without being tipped!!

No but nurses do get paid a lot more for doing what they do. Nurses also get more then 2.13 an hour just saying
Sonic

United States

#15 Jul 6, 2013
Carhops do take orders and they get paid less than minimum wage.
Former worker

Tyler, TX

#16 Jul 29, 2013
Actually the car hops take the orders, prepare the trays, set up the drink carriers, get the bags ready, sweep the parking lot, take the trash out, mop the floors, clean the bathrooms, help make drinks, bring food and condiments to customers, while skating in rollerblades that leave impressions in your legs. On top of that only get paid $6 an hour.
just wondered

Henderson, TX

#17 Jul 30, 2013
Lets get it on wrote:
Carhops and waiters/waitress may only make $2.13/hour but they still get paid minimum wage. The employer has to make up the difference.
1. Where an employee does not receive sufficient tips to make up the difference between the direct (or cash) wage payment (which must be at least $2.13 per hour) and the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference.
2. Where an employee receives tips only and is paid no cash wage, the full minimum wage is owed.
3. Where deductions for walk-outs, breakage, or cash register shortages reduce the employee’s wages below the minimum wage, such deductions are illegal. Where a tipped employee is paid $2.13 per hour in direct (or cash) wages and the employer claims the maximum tip credit of $5.12 per hour, no such deductions can be made without reducing the employee below the minimum wage (even where the employee receives more than $5.12 per hour in tips).
4. Where a tipped employee is required to contribute to a tip pool that includes employees who do not customarily and regularly receive tips, the employee is owed all tips he or she contributed to the pool and the full $7.25 minimum wage.
waitresses get paid 2.13 a hr plus tips the company owners don't pay u minimum wage ever your cks bring home are 30 to 40 dollars a wk tips are what u live on. However sonic car hops make minimum wage and the ones who skate make 8 a hr so ur facts are wrong I've been a waitress for yrs now just wanted to set that straight
CurrentEmployee

United States

#18 Sep 15, 2013
just wondered wrote:
<quoted text> waitresses get paid 2.13 a hr plus tips the company owners don't pay u minimum wage ever your cks bring home are 30 to 40 dollars a wk tips are what u live on. However sonic car hops make minimum wage and the ones who skate make 8 a hr so ur facts are wrong I've been a waitress for yrs now just wanted to set that straight
You are wrong. If you don't skate you make 5.15 and if you do skate you make 6.15. I would know. If you don't believe me I can send you a picture of my stub.
truth

United States

#19 Sep 16, 2013
If more of them wore skates and did a little circle before they handed you food it would constitute giving a tip.
Skating carhop

Norman, OK

#20 Oct 8, 2013
Carhop wages depend on various factors. One major factor is if the store is corporate owned or a franchise store. Franchise stores will pay carhops more (ie. at least minimum wage), but they usually aren't as busy (so the hop make less tips anyway). Corporate sonics pay carhops tip wage.
The general rule is that skating carhops are supposed to make an extra dollar, but some do not. The store I work for pays all carhops the same tip wage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darryl Norris for Sherriff????? (Jul '11) 4 hr Do tell 679
henderson texas is a racist godless town (Feb '08) 6 hr Racist000 985
Jeff Price Rusk County Sheriff 20 hr That is right 2
James Eric Maines (Sep '13) 23 hr TomDickandHarry 26
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Thu Candle farts 847
Witch's Grave (Apr '08) Feb 3 Mrs_Crabapple 193
Henderson Gyms Feb 2 traveler 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Henderson Mortgages