Anyone recall the disc jockey Roady M...

Anyone recall the disc jockey Roady Mule?

Posted in the Henderson Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Czar

Austin, TX

#1 Jun 24, 2008
He worked at KGRI back in the 1950's I think. Was very well known in the radio business and won a couple of national awards along the way. At the time KGRI was located "on the hill" and the tower was located right beside the station. Legend has it that one night Roady Mule was working and maybe having a drink or two and decided to get his rifle out and shoot the red light out on the tower. He was also known to have a few drinks lock himself in the studio and play nothing but Hank Williams Sr.
absolutely

Duncan, OK

#2 Jun 24, 2008
At the Little Red Barn up here on the hill!! If you can''t sell it we sure will. That was the prelude to Swap N SHOP!!. Good ole KGRI
hmmm

AOL

#3 Jun 24, 2008
I thought swap n shop was KWRD. I remember listening to the road show every morining.
The Czar

Austin, TX

#4 Jun 24, 2008
If I recall Pat Endsley did the "morning road show" at KWRD for years and after he was elected to office the late great Dale Dorsey started doing it....."ride that painted pony across the purple sage".....anyone recall that bit of wisdom from DD?
Rusk Co Native

Henderson, TX

#5 Jun 24, 2008
KWDR had the "Cat Walk" as they called from around 4pm to 4:25 on weekday evenings. Pat Endsley would also do some remote broadcast at places around town. Also I remember him being at the Strand for "kiddie shows" on Sat. Mornings.
I was just lookin at the old Strand yesterday,,,looks sad without the frt.
hmmm

AOL

#6 Jun 24, 2008
ok, but did we decide.....was Swap n Shop on KWRD or KGRI?
just wondering

Henderson, TX

#7 Jun 24, 2008
Didn't Jeff Cross do some DJ work for KGRI when we were in high school?
absolutely

Duncan, OK

#8 Jun 24, 2008
I really after thinking back believe it was KWRD because that was the FM station and I had trouble zeroing in on it!! lol
hmmm

AOL

#9 Jun 24, 2008
no I'm confused....I thought KWRD was AM. Seems like I can hear them saying ....1470 (or was it 1460) on your AM dial.
absolutely

Duncan, OK

#10 Jun 24, 2008
You are sooo right . My apology .Been too many years I guess.
Rusk Co Native

Henderson, TX

#11 Jun 24, 2008
KWRD 1470 AM was out on 259 north. KGRI 1000 AM was first then they added the FM side at something like 100.1,,both KGRIs where from the "little red barn on the hill".

Since: Sep 07

Ponder, TX

#12 Jun 24, 2008
Yes, it was the little red barn on the hill. I worked there for 8 years.
AJJ

AOL

#13 Jun 24, 2008
The Czar wrote:
He worked at KGRI back in the 1950's I think. Was very well known in the radio business and won a couple of national awards along the way. At the time KGRI was located "on the hill" and the tower was located right beside the station. Legend has it that one night Roady Mule was working and maybe having a drink or two and decided to get his rifle out and shoot the red light out on the tower. He was also known to have a few drinks lock himself in the studio and play nothing but Hank Williams Sr.
Roady Mule was Monroe Davis --- a few drink LOL
girl from Henderson

AOL

#14 Jul 2, 2008
Roady Mule was DJ at KGRI..."little red barn up here on the hill" in the 1950's & early 1960's. His given name was Monroe Davis, and he lived on CR 401S, which then was called the Hickey Community. His name "Roady Mule" came from his family telling him he was as "roudy as a mule" because he would have a few drinks and get a bit roudy!
henderson hopeful

AOL

#15 Jul 2, 2008
i heard a story (sort of a legend} that roady mule and jim reeves got drunk and locked them selves in the station cutting uo untill they were cut off the air by one of the owners. don't know if there is any truth to the story but thought it was funny. any one know the real story?
go for it if you know it

AOL

#16 Jul 3, 2008
henderson hopeful wrote:
i heard a story (sort of a legend} that roady mule and jim reeves got drunk and locked them selves in the station cutting uo untill they were cut off the air by one of the owners. don't know if there is any truth to the story but thought it was funny. any one know the real story?
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/contact.html#athlet...
go for it if you know it

AOL

#17 Jul 3, 2008
oops, wrong forum! Ha! that belongs on the baseball one. My bad.
Eastex Dan

AOL

#18 Dec 29, 2008
Yes I remember Roady Mule, Tom Perryman, Jim Reeves, all kgri men...But has anyone ever been told that "Wild Bill Elloitt" (Gordon Nance) ever Live in Henderson Texas? I was told that growing up, but can not find any thing to support it?. He was a "Silver Screen Cowboy" back in the 40's and 50's.
Jake

Henderson, TX

#19 Dec 30, 2008
He worked at KGRI back in the 1950's I think. Was very well known in the radio business and won a couple of national awards along the way. At the time KGRI was located "on the hill" and the tower was located right beside the station. Legend has it that one night Roady Mule was working and maybe having a drink or two and decided to get his rifle out and shoot the red light out on the tower. He was also known to have a few drinks lock himself in the studio and play nothing but Hank Williams Sr.[/QUOT
Monroe Davis AKA " Roady Mule " was known as the Mayor of Hickey Texas. He had so much musical ability. He worked as a "roady" and also played and sang backup vocals in Wanda Jackson's Band. He worked for Jim Reeves at KGRI and also as a song-writer. He also played in a local band with the notorious " Fig " Newton , Sgt. at the National Guard Armory. He had a brother , Bobby Davis , who also worked in the music business. He played lead guitar for Ray Price for years. He was with Ray Price's Band when he died. He was also an accomplished song-writer. These to guys had as much musical talent as anyone who ever came out of Rusk county.
Just a Question

Henderson, TX

#20 Dec 30, 2008
For Eastex Dan

Would you happen to be a old bull-riding horse trader.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The cookie jar 3 hr concerned 9
Review: PRO Star Rentals (Jul '15) Mon Mark Jones 2
Henderson cop May 19 Just wondering 6
janet nirmaier (May '17) May 19 Family 2
Kids Activities (May '08) May 18 Arf 19
rusk county cps (Sep '11) May 16 Cps does not make... 28
pregnant girls in town? haha (Jun '13) May 14 Hmmm 49

Henderson Jobs

Personal Finance

Henderson Mortgages