Henderson Lion Hall of Fame
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
steve miller

Ballwin, MO

#86 Feb 8, 2013
Darrin Boone all state defensive end played on smu national championship team. All american junior college at kilgore. Dont forget abou t chris jackson, darwin paulley, randy miller, dione rodgers, jerry davis, thurmond sanders, rodrik pollard, tim hodge, steve miller. Theres a bunch of hall of famers at hhs
The Czar

Pflugerville, TX

#87 Feb 9, 2013
Thurman Sanders is on the very very short list of all-time best basketball players to ever play for Henderson. I can tell ya first hand he was impossible to guard When did SMU win a national championship?
Good but not HOF material

Longview, TX

#88 Feb 12, 2013
Chris Jackson, darwin Pauley, Rodrick Pollard, not quite there. They were good but not great. And for Steve Miller and Dione Rogers.....nowhere close to needing to even be mentioned for a HOF nomination. ANd I have watched HHS basketball for decades.
peter paul

Henderson, TX

#89 Mar 22, 2013
Henderson Lions 1971-72 state finalist team coached by Leroy Romine, Milton Phillips and James Terry, hall of famers
Rhet Wylie

Albuquerque, NM

#90 Oct 10, 2013
Joe Wylie. I'm not biased.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#91 Oct 10, 2013
steve miller wrote:
Darrin Boone all state defensive end played on smu national championship team. All american junior college at kilgore. Dont forget abou t chris jackson, darwin paulley, randy miller, dione rodgers, jerry davis, thurmond sanders, rodrik pollard, tim hodge, steve miller. Theres a bunch of hall of famers at hhs
SMU never won a national championship in the 1980's.
the one

Houston, TX

#92 Oct 10, 2013
Future hall of famers Monsta Brown / Diamante Wright who agrees
John Salguero

Clovis, NM

#93 Oct 28, 2013
August 2013 marks the 40th anniversary of my first true experience with Texas High School Football. In August of 1973, I was 13 years old when we moved from Eastern New Mexico to Mount Pleasant, Texas. That just happened to be their most successful season ever, making it all the way to the State Championship game, where they lost to Cuero, 21-7, The season started out at home against the Henderson Lions (Yes that year!). The Tigers beat the Lions 10-7 on a last second touchdown pass, to give the Tigers a 3-point lead. My brothers and I had already been on our way out of the stadium when we heard the crown cheering. We turned and looked in time to see the reception being made in the end zone. The odd thing I remember was that we had assumed the Tigers had turned the ball over on downs with the Lions up 7-3. As it was later determined, Mount Pleasant had gotten an additional play due to the officials’ error.

This was the beginning of an eventful season in which the Tigers won most of their games by more than 20 points, ending the regular season ranked #3 in the state. Aside from the Henderson game and the playoffs, the Tigers won handily every week, going undefeated until the loss to Cuero.

Mount Pleasant dominated the first two rounds of the playoffs against Wilmer-Hutchins and McKinney, before having to come back against Lamesa in a 26-21 victory. The Golden Tornados jumped out to a big lead in the first quarter, only to see the Tigers dominate in the second half to win the bid to the State Championship game.
Ironically, the same weekend, Cuero was playing the same Henderson Lions team that Mount Pleasant had defeated in the opening week of the season! After the loss to the Tigers, they proceeded to mow down opponents in an impressive manner, with that game being their only loss. Unfortunately for the Lions, they ran into an offensive juggernaut in the Cuero Gobblers that out-scored them 35-25 in the other State Semi-final game.
Just imagine what a story it would have been if Henderson had defeated Cuero! Only the Gurus of Texas Football could remember if two teams who met the first week of the season had played for the State Championship at the end of the season. Well, they were one game away in 1973! And I’m sure the circumstances were not near the same as the Tigers/Lions season opener!

This little story has long been forgotten more than likely due to the fact that Cuero was in the middle of a dominating run when they went 68-3-1 with 3 State Championship appearances and two State Championships! Over that time, the Gobblers won 53 consecutive games, a streak that was broken by Ennis in the 1975 in the state finals, 13-10.
One final “tidbit” related to this recollection. Since this season that Mount Pleasant completed, of the 14 teams the Tigers played, 12 have won State Championships including over 20 blue trophies in over 30 appearances in championship games. The only teams that have not won a championship have been Clarksville and Lamesa.
30 years later, I was stationed in New Mexico and met a young soldier who said his brother played in that game.He mentioned that everyone still talks about that game. It was definitely a classic!!!..it's a small world!!

Location hidden

#94 Oct 29, 2013
John Salguero wrote:
August 2013 marks the 40th anniversary of my first true experience with Texas High School Football. In August of 1973, I was 13 years old when we moved from Eastern New Mexico to Mount Pleasant, Texas. That just happened to be their most successful season ever, making it all the way to the State Championship game, where they lost to Cuero, 21-7, The season started out at home against the Henderson Lions (Yes that year!). The Tigers beat the Lions 10-7 on a last second touchdown pass, to give the Tigers a 3-point lead. My brothers and I had already been on our way out of the stadium when we heard the crown cheering. We turned and looked in time to see the reception being made in the end zone. The odd thing I remember was that we had assumed the Tigers had turned the ball over on downs with the Lions up 7-3. As it was later determined, Mount Pleasant had gotten an additional play due to the officials’ error.
This was the beginning of an eventful season in which the Tigers won most of their games by more than 20 points, ending the regular season ranked #3 in the state. Aside from the Henderson game and the playoffs, the Tigers won handily every week, going undefeated until the loss to Cuero.
Mount Pleasant dominated the first two rounds of the playoffs against Wilmer-Hutchins and McKinney, before having to come back against Lamesa in a 26-21 victory. The Golden Tornados jumped out to a big lead in the first quarter, only to see the Tigers dominate in the second half to win the bid to the State Championship game.
Ironically, the same weekend, Cuero was playing the same Henderson Lions team that Mount Pleasant had defeated in the opening week of the season! After the loss to the Tigers, they proceeded to mow down opponents in an impressive manner, with that game being their only loss. Unfortunately for the Lions, they ran into an offensive juggernaut in the Cuero Gobblers that out-scored them 35-25 in the other State Semi-final game.
Just imagine what a story it would have been if Henderson had defeated Cuero! Only the Gurus of Texas Football could remember if two teams who met the first week of the season had played for the State Championship at the end of the season. Well, they were one game away in 1973! And I’m sure the circumstances were not near the same as the Tigers/Lions season opener!
This little story has long been forgotten more than likely due to the fact that Cuero was in the middle of a dominating run when they went 68-3-1 with 3 State Championship appearances and two State Championships! Over that time, the Gobblers won 53 consecutive games, a streak that was broken by Ennis in the 1975 in the state finals, 13-10.
One final “tidbit” related to this recollection. Since this season that Mount Pleasant completed, of the 14 teams the Tigers played, 12 have won State Championships including over 20 blue trophies in over 30 appearances in championship games. The only teams that have not won a championship have been Clarksville and Lamesa.
30 years later, I was stationed in New Mexico and met a young soldier who said his brother played in that game.He mentioned that everyone still talks about that game. It was definitely a classic!!!..it's a small world!!
That game Mt Pleasant beat Henderson on was questionable at the end. There was possibly a 5th down involved. Roper was doing the down box and a a penalty on the final series gave Mt Pleasant an extra down. Cuero beat Henderson in the semi finals that year 35-25. Cuero had a back named Art Whittington who later played with the Raiders. Henderson featured Joe Paul Paige and both defenses had issues containing those two all night.

Location hidden

#95 Oct 29, 2013
In the end its the officials fault and not Ropers but Roper was an easy target for Lions fans
John Salguero

Clovis, NM

#96 Nov 5, 2013
Sterling Marlin wrote:
In the end its the officials fault and not Ropers but Roper was an easy target for Lions fans
No question about it! MP got an extra down...fortunately, it did not affect the teams playoff chances. Being an non-district game, it had no affect on their season performances. It was just bragging rights between two great teams in East Texas!
John Salguero

Clovis, NM

#97 Nov 20, 2013
John Salguero wrote:
<quoted text>
No question about it! MP got an extra down...fortunately, it did not affect the teams playoff chances. Being an non-district game, it had no affect on their season performances. It was just bragging rights between two great teams in East Texas!
This Lion team was even better than we thinkˇˇˇ They scored 25 points off of Cuero. They only allowed 60 point ALL season, including that game!

Location hidden

#98 Nov 20, 2013
John Salguero wrote:
<quoted text>
This Lion team was even better than we thinkˇˇˇ They scored 25 points off of Cuero. They only allowed 60 point ALL season, including that game!
Cuero could not stop Joe Paul Paige and Henderson could not stop Art Whittington. A couple of turnovers early put Henderson in a hole if I am not mistaken.
new yr

Henderson, TX

#99 Dec 3, 2013
A Burke went to Gaston high school

Location hidden

#100 Dec 4, 2013
new yr wrote:
A Burke went to Gaston high school
And he was also the official that ruled "the immaculate reception" a legal catch. Who recalls that? Bradshaw to Frenchy Fuqua to Franco Harris.
funny

Henderson, TX

#101 Jan 21, 2014
Dumb
overlooked

Henderson, TX

#102 Feb 3, 2014
The graduating class of 2006 had a hell of a team just couldn't get anywhere because of the coaches I vote Dakotah Simmons one of the best guards to come through Henderson
good deal

Henderson, TX

#103 Feb 4, 2014
Where did he play college at?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Opinions Needed regarding the need of a new day... 5 hr Searcher 3
Kelli Potts Fri The other guy 26
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Thu Farting 902
Destinie Linn Webb looking for married men. (Nov '14) Thu amazed 21
certified retirement community Wed Thomas 2
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Farters 742
Kim Bommarito Wed Realist 3
More from around the web

Henderson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Henderson Mortgages