Henderson Lion Hall of Fame

Posted in the Henderson Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Lufkin, TX

#1 Nov 1, 2007
If the Henderson Lions were to build a Football Hall of Fame who would your vote be for? Mine would be Drew Coleman! Was the Quarterback the last time we won a District Title, last time we beat KILGORE, and was a key part in rebuilding the LIONS from '01-'04. I believe all playoff years. Plus, played great with TCU, and now playin Great with the New York Jets. Thats my pick. Who would yours be?
HHS FAN 1981

Henderson, TX

#2 Nov 2, 2007
I VOTE FOR DREW COLEMAN TOO.
NJJ

AOL

#4 Nov 3, 2007
Joe Wylie for sure and Ricky Dudley

Lufkin, TX

#5 Nov 4, 2007
Come on wrote:
<quoted text> Drew Coleman yea right! Lets talk about Hendersons real Hall of Fame: Joe Wylie, Keith Bobo, Lynn Wallace and the rest of the class of 1969 who by the way went to state and was a game away from winning it all. Never did that again or did they? I dont think so.
I guess if you didnt play on the 1969 Henderson Team then forget about you! If your not going to reply with common sense then I rather you not reply at all. BTW, almost doesnt count. Thing about a Hall of Fame is that it covers past,present, and future. Like I said before my vote Drew Coleman!

Since: Sep 07

Stevens Point, WI

#8 Nov 4, 2007
Has anyone from HHS besides Ricky and Drew gone on to play professional football? I guess they're the only two that qualify for the 'real' hall of fame.

Duncan, OK

#9 Nov 4, 2007
Joe Wylie, Keith Bobo, Lynn Wallace... State Playoffs....That was the day....Great students as well.

Stevens Point, WI

#10 Nov 4, 2007
LuV H-ToWn wrote:
Joe Wylie, Keith Bobo, Lynn Wallace... State Playoffs....That was the day....Great students as well.
I guess you had to be there in '69, I've heard Wylie's name I think....but I wouldn't swear to it. The others...I have no idea who they are.
voter

Henderson, TX

#11 Nov 4, 2007
Does it really matter? What have any of these players done for the oommunity now? Wylie...is he one of the ones who donated the land for the school? Never heard of Bobo or Wallace, is he related to Jerry Lee? I'm not trying to be smart just asking questions, since I didn't go to Henderson back in the day.
HISD grad

Henderson, TX

#12 Nov 4, 2007
Stacy F wrote:
Has anyone from HHS besides Ricky and Drew gone on to play professional football? I guess they're the only two that qualify for the 'real' hall of fame.
Yes- Tommy Wade, & Dennis Duncan. And there are baseball players that would go in the Hall of Fame- Robert Gray Allen-who signed a contract to pitch for the Cleveland Indians right out of high school- he struck out Mickey Mantle a couple of times. Now I would call that a Hall of Famer.

Stevens Point, WI

#13 Nov 5, 2007
HISD grad wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes- Tommy Wade, & Dennis Duncan. And there are baseball players that would go in the Hall of Fame- Robert Gray Allen-who signed a contract to pitch for the Cleveland Indians right out of high school- he struck out Mickey Mantle a couple of times. Now I would call that a Hall of Famer.
Who did Tommy play for? I'd forgotten about Dennis, he did play for Houston (?) for a little while, didn't he? Never heard of RGA, but I've known Tommy and Dennis for years.

Duncan, OK

#15 Nov 6, 2007
Stacy F wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you had to be there in '69, I've heard Wylie's name I think....but I wouldn't swear to it. The others...I have no idea who they are.
I was there...but a mere babe. It was just legendary in a child's eye. That was true community spirit.
HISD grad

Henderson, TX

#16 Nov 6, 2007
LuV H-ToWn wrote:
<quoted text>
I was there...but a mere babe. It was just legendary in a child's eye. That was true community spirit.
I remember traveling to Lubbock for that game, as hundreds of others from the community did. Yes, we had community spirit and SUPORT from our great school board in many things for HHS. As far as those big boys- there were a few that were found to be "over age" but Coach Jackson (being the class act he was) said it was a "learning experience". He guided many a young men and influenced and helped shape their futures. He was really a coach who cared about his players and all other students at HHS>
HISD grad

Henderson, TX

#17 Nov 7, 2007
Correction-That would be traveling to Abilene to play Lubbock Estacata.
hhs grad

Henderson, TX

#18 Nov 7, 2007
Gary Jones (HHS '78 or '79) played for the Chicago Cubs starting in '82, then later signed with the Oakland A's. Is now an infield instructor for the San Diego Padres. Still an arrogant a$$, but has a wonderful wife and daughters.
HENDERSON PARENT

Henderson, TX

#19 Nov 8, 2007
Joe Wylie is still the best all around athelete to ever graduate from Henderson. Led the state in receiving playing split end as a sophomore. Moved to tailback as a junior and had over 4000 yards rushing in the 2 years and was all state both years. Was the number 1 football recruit in Texas his senior year. Led the basketball team to the playoffs his junior year and led the team in scoring jr. and sr. years. Went to the state track meet his senior year in discuss, long jump, 100 yard dash, high hurdles, and intermediate hurdles. Was the NATIONAL record holder for fastest time in the 330 intermediate hurdles for several years. Graduated as valedictorian of his class ( with a perfect 4.0 grade average). Went to the University of Oklahoma and played for four years there. Drafted by the New York Jets and played for them and the Oakland Raiders for a few few years as wide receiver before hanging it up. There have been some great athletes since then, but no one even close as far as all around athlete.
Hometown gal

Henderson, TX

#20 Nov 8, 2007
I agree- when you are great in ALL sports (not just football) plus an Honor Graduate, you really are a Hall of Famer.
Robert

Magnolia, TX

#21 Feb 29, 2008
My dad used to take me to see Joe Wylie play when I was a kid. Hands down, he is the best all around athelete to have ever played for Henderson High School. Not to mention one of the classiest individuals you would ever want to meet. His sister, Mary was good friends with my aunt, Cheryl Ross.
another view

Henderson, TX

#22 Feb 29, 2008
Collin Wade was outstanding in basketball. There was a recent article in newspaper about him.
My 2 Cents

Henderson, TX

#23 Mar 10, 2008
Are they still thinking of doing this?? It is definitely a great idea to honor those atheletes who have went above and beyond.
Coach KLAWN

United States

#24 Apr 12, 2008
I'd put coach Fred Jackson in the HOF...also another NFL player from Henderson would be Toby Mills, for the Cowboys...dunno if i'd put him in the hof

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trey and Amy Dec 7 letsbereal 2
The cookie jar Dec 6 laughing at dump ... 2
Texting and driving? Dec 3 Liam 7
Snitches in Rusk Co Dec 1 shootthatup 15
Mountain Lions in east Texas (Nov '15) Dec 1 uh oh 18
Review: Vista College (Apr '12) Nov 29 Darth Vader 11 34
Has anyone ever had to deal with ALL AMERICAN A... (Jan '11) Nov 29 Stupid 38

Henderson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance