changes at hms
teachercreature

Waskom, TX

#21 Aug 10, 2012
I believe there have been many updates since Sterling's memory of that building. A new spacious band hall was built a few years back. The cafeteria is also newer since then and the library is now in the area that was the cafeteria--no, it never smelled like a cafeteria after it was redone :-) The windows are newer, but like many schools now, most do not open. The auditorium underwent complete renovation with new seats and carpeted aisles around 15 yrs. ago. I believe the parking lot has undergone a facelift this summer, although I haven't been by there to actually see it. I read that it was in the plans. I attended the old Jr. High for 5 yrs. (5-9 grades) before going to high school in the current Middle School, and I began my teaching career in that Jr. High building before moving to the Middle School. Even though there are plenty of reasons for building a new school, the voters did not see fit to pass the bond issue, so efforts are underway to make the building as safe and comfortable as possible. I applaud those who work there making the best of the circumstances they have been given.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#22 Aug 10, 2012
teachercreature wrote:
I believe there have been many updates since Sterling's memory of that building. A new spacious band hall was built a few years back. The cafeteria is also newer since then and the library is now in the area that was the cafeteria--no, it never smelled like a cafeteria after it was redone :-) The windows are newer, but like many schools now, most do not open. The auditorium underwent complete renovation with new seats and carpeted aisles around 15 yrs. ago. I believe the parking lot has undergone a facelift this summer, although I haven't been by there to actually see it. I read that it was in the plans. I attended the old Jr. High for 5 yrs.(5-9 grades) before going to high school in the current Middle School, and I began my teaching career in that Jr. High building before moving to the Middle School. Even though there are plenty of reasons for building a new school, the voters did not see fit to pass the bond issue, so efforts are underway to make the building as safe and comfortable as possible. I applaud those who work there making the best of the circumstances they have been given.
I bet ya taught while I was a student. I really just wanted to get folks stirred up as you can tell from my original post on this subject. Henderson folks are one of a kind. BTW what did you teach?
teacherleacher

Henderson, TX

#23 Aug 10, 2012
teachercreature wrote:
Even though there are plenty of reasons for building a new school, the voters did not see fit to pass the bond issue, so efforts are underway to make the building as safe and comfortable as possible. I applaud those who work there making the best of the circumstances they have been given.
I'm so thankful that you understand that we have no money to make your job any more comfortable than it already is. Did you ever stop to think maybe the people who pay the bills deserve better than to have people like you trying to guilt them into paying for something they can't afford?
Tweedledee

United States

#24 Aug 10, 2012
teacherleacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so thankful that you understand that we have no money to make your job any more comfortable than it already is. Did you ever stop to think maybe the people who pay the bills deserve better than to have people like you trying to guilt them into paying for something they can't afford?
Did you ever stop to think that these teachers are the ones raising the next generations because most of the parents won't? If you think teachers have a comfortable job then you're pretty darn stupid. They pay for a large portion of classroom supplies out of their own pockets and then have to deal with stupid parents who want gimme grades for their precious little darlings who can do no wrong. Show some respect you asshat.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#25 Aug 11, 2012
I say...teachers, you hang in there. You are the ones who make a difference in kids lives, no matter what conditions you are teaching in. Dont give up, dont get discouraged, dont ever forget that you are influencing young lives.

Dont pay attention to the politicians, most of whom dont have the first clue about education, or facilities, or how to excite a kid to learn. Dont pay attention to the ignorance of those who continually hold over you the fact that "we pay your salaries and we are out of money". They have no desire to help, only to criticize.

Teachers, keep your "eyes on the prize" as they use to say back in the 60's.

You will be rewarded...
NewSheriffNTown

United States

#26 Aug 12, 2012
22 new teachers on campus. Sinking ship.
teacher

United States

#27 Aug 12, 2012
West Texas Beauty wrote:
I say...teachers, you hang in there. You are the ones who make a difference in kids lives, no matter what conditions you are teaching in. Dont give up, dont get discouraged, dont ever forget that you are influencing young lives.

Dont pay attention to the politicians, most of whom dont have the first clue about education, or facilities, or how to excite a kid to learn. Dont pay attention to the ignorance of those who continually hold over you the fact that "we pay your salaries and we are out of money". They have no desire to help, only to criticize.

Teachers, keep your "eyes on the prize" as they use to say back in the 60's.

You will be rewarded...
Thank u for ur comment. I love what I do. There are a lot of unpleasant aspects but I feel I am where I belong. But I thought u might find it interesting that teacher salaries are frozen right now. Usually there is a small yearly raise but not anymore.
Teach

Henderson, TX

#28 Aug 12, 2012
NewSheriffNTown wrote:
22 new teachers on campus. Sinking ship.
I don't know where you got your info, but there are not 22 new teachers at HMS. There are quite a few and the ones I know that came from Northside are great. HMS is going to have a great year.
lollypop Guild

Henderson, TX

#29 Aug 12, 2012
:TO lWest Texas Beauty, I'm not always chsined to a desk so I hear a lot of learning happening at hms. So thanks
HMS teachers r the best. We'll do our job, and even help u w urs. Defeat any incumbant who supports the TEXAS STAAR mandated tests. It is just the axe over admins and teachers professions... a way to close public schools, and make BILLIONS for test makers. Its political and...DANG it ! Its criminal for the brightest and most challenged. Why? There r, simply said, mayb 5 groups :
1. Straight a'
2. The gonna pass but need help n one area.
3. Could pass w a lot of help.
4. Not gonna happen.
Ur the boss.one of ur jobs is to bring asmuchmoney 2 ur students. High passing % bring money.(Promotions,head hunters,cabinet positions too), However obv, more money is a good thing. So boss? Where r u going to focus or concentrate ur time and money??? We do not have resources to help cultivate another Einstein. Because of our administraors?!?!? no. Because of OUR elected reps in Austin and washington!!! Unintended consequences of NCLB. Dont get me started on art drama choir debate band......all big losers. WELL DONT JUST SIT THERE!! I LOOK NUTTY BY self. It is BAD for our children. That should make us very angry
lollypop Guild

Henderson, TX

#30 Aug 12, 2012
Btw....more money for our district-which is good. And we get a...a..a sign. Thats ok too. We NEED at least a sign since we-RE taking anti anx meds because the panic attacks come closer together as the TEST approaches

BtW: did u know that our job is to help kids pass a test we've never seen and our teaching cred will b taken if we LOOK at a student's turned in test booklet. Its facist! We r professionals. Some teachers need a good firing, then we fire our reps, and start teaching ALL the kids!!


Little Billy comes from a poor home and he just can NOT read on grade level, even w effort and a great teacher. But our "Billy" is Chopin 2.
Too bad we'll never know it.
Uh oh

Henderson, TX

#31 Aug 13, 2012
Sounds like the librarian is on another rampage.
quacko

Henderson, TX

#32 Aug 13, 2012
LOL !!!! Yep
JackB

Henderson, TX

#33 Aug 15, 2012
The middle school did have some work done on it this summer. This was dued to the fact that the Henderson citizens did not see fit to pass a bond to replace this school. As such, good money had to be spent in order to continue to try to use these buildings. The classes were moved around to accomodate classes as needed and to move students out of areas that are considered unsafe. At some time in the future, maybe Henderson will vote to build a new facility, but until then the district has to try to make do with what they have and try to ensure that the structure is usable and safe. People complained when we tried to pass a bond and now they complain when we spend money on a building try to maintain it and continue using it. We are the largest school district in the county, and have some of the worst buildings to use for our schools. Instead of complaining about what we have, lets get behind the schools and help do what we can to make it better for our students.
Quit whining

Henderson, TX

#34 Aug 15, 2012
Maybe if the people who cry about bond proposals failing hadn't voted for a sworn enemy of the energy industry (oil,gas, and coal), which happens to be our area's biggest employer, we could afford better. You have yourselves to blame. The bond failed. Get over it.
JackB
#35 Aug 16, 2012
It just so happens that this is just facts and is not whinning. I happen to work for the energy industry and did not vote for him. It is not that we cannot afford better schools, it is just some don't won't it. Tatum could not have what they have if it had not been for the power plant. Carthage could not do what they have done without the energy industry and they are putting in a 750K score board. It is just that those people are smart enough to realize that they need decent schools and do something about it. We can and maybe some day will have a better school, but until each of you can quit wearing your feelings on your sleeves and do what is best for our community and kids we will not get there. If and when there is a next time why don't you get up and help.
Quit whining

Henderson, TX

#36 Aug 16, 2012
Are you telling me you that not only is Carthage putting up a scoreboard that cost three-quarters of a million dollars but that you think that's a smart and an enlightened use of taxpayer money? You claim to be an advocate of our children yet you have no trouble spending recklessly and leaving them with paying your debts. In my book that's generational theft. So please stop hiding behind the "it's for the children" excuse. It's beginning to sound pathetic.
Lionbacker
#37 Aug 17, 2012
I am all for what is best for our kids. I think education is first and foremost and we should be ashamed that the Middle School kids are going to have to be in that old outdated builbing again. I voted for the bond to upgrade the school because I think nicer facilities make those attending there appreciate it more and be proud of their school. When they know the ommunity cares I think they work harder. I also feel extra curriculars are a VERY Important part of that education, from Football to Band to Theater, to Art. We have already cut theater in middle school and the High School theater has no where to put on shows but the OLD Admin building. We should be ashamed. Also, our ahletic facilities, not including the Dome, are all outdated and terrible for our kids to have to play at. They should have fields, and auditoriums to be proud of. I know I will get blasted on here but still feel that kids learn as much about life and how to handle themselves in extra curriculars as they do in the classroom.
JackB
#38 Aug 17, 2012
I am not in favor of spending in areas that are not an academic need until all of the necessary items are addressed. I am saying that the other communities around us tend see that the kids deserve a better facility than we provide for ours. Although there are needs in the extra curriculars that need attention, we need to make sure that the students are academically taking care of first, then meet thier other needs. Sure there may have been some decisions that in hind sight may not have been the most prudent, but I am not in favor of just sitting on our back sides because of what happened and take the necessary steps to provide adequate facilities. Most everyone in the ISD area has the ability to either vote or run for school board, so step up and help make things better. If you don't think that a new school is for the students, then whom do you think it is for. It is not for the administration as they are in an old building and are not moving any time soon. Everyone should make thier ideas or thoughts known, but you should also have ready some ideas as to how to make it happen. The last bond had nothing to do with any extra curricular items, but some were still mad, and probably rightfully so about the activity center, but that still does not alleviate the needs to our buildings. When our kids graduate from our school district many of them leave and especially when the become parents move to other school districts so that their kids may have better facilities than they had. Think about it.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#39 Aug 18, 2012
Lionbacker wrote:
I am all for what is best for our kids. I think education is first and foremost and we should be ashamed that the Middle School kids are going to have to be in that old outdated builbing again. I voted for the bond to upgrade the school because I think nicer facilities make those attending there appreciate it more and be proud of their school. When they know the ommunity cares I think they work harder. I also feel extra curriculars are a VERY Important part of that education, from Football to Band to Theater, to Art. We have already cut theater in middle school and the High School theater has no where to put on shows but the OLD Admin building. We should be ashamed. Also, our ahletic facilities, not including the Dome, are all outdated and terrible for our kids to have to play at. They should have fields, and auditoriums to be proud of. I know I will get blasted on here but still feel that kids learn as much about life and how to handle themselves in extra curriculars as they do in the classroom.
Actually the theater in the old admin bldg has been given a facelift thanks to the efforts of a very dedicated teacher and of course those who assisted her. I believe they've got a show coming up in the near future. People making the best with what they've is what this community is about.
Question

Winnsboro, TX

#40 Aug 18, 2012
So if we need a new middle school so bad, why is $350,000 being spent on an ag building? Where are the priorities?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tornado Sirens 3 hr Quick Question 1
trash service 23 hr Tired of stupid a... 18
softball fields in henderson 23 hr Southern Moma 2
Fred Dunlap Anniversary Celebration Thu Scarecrow 2
Judd Turner (May '13) Wed Wendy Johnson 32
Henderson Chickfila Wed little bit 4
tip sonic workers? (Jun '13) Apr 26 Correct Info 40
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Henderson Mortgages