Is your child learning through CSCOPE...
ROBOTS

Henderson, TX

#21 Feb 23, 2013
Let's all follow what the entire country believes should be the curriculum of the students of the United States. I say, if they want the same product, why have different names on each learning institution? What was this country founded on? Does anyone even remember? Other than the fact that this new curriculum has horse sh*t embedded in the words of its instruction; it is the educational factory that will in 12 years produce an extremely lost young adult that has no direction or dreams of further success.“Americans continue to rapidly homogenize ourselves into a neutered oblivion. For a country founded on the protection of the unique, we relish our sameness.” - LEWIS BLACK
Teacher

Henderson, TX

#22 Feb 23, 2013
Texan by the grace of God wrote:
The people on the website said the lessons were changed after someone spoke out against them. Also, why would Steve Toth, a state representative and pastor feel led to make the foundation financially and educational transparent to the public? The investigation of this organization isn't over.....why support it at all by using it? Lastly, these tests are a joke, and tells nothing about the educational achievements of students. Why not assign a long term project to test a students character rather than a test which even bright students could fail? I guess we could just continue to focus on studying for a test that will not cultivate a student into a productive citizen....
I assume the district 'supports' CScope by using it for the reasons I outlined earlier. We must at all costs get through the overwhelming number of TEKS that the state requires. If we dont cover everything they cant pass the test. I agree the state test is ridiculous, but installing character and testing it is the job of the parents. I do try instill positive character traits and model them for my students, but my real job is teaching academics. We also have FCA, KEy Club etc that help with character but I'm not sure how you would have a project to test that. Also sad to say but that won't get them in college.
ROBOTS

Henderson, TX

#23 Feb 23, 2013
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume the district 'supports' CScope by using it for the reasons I outlined earlier. We must at all costs get through the overwhelming number of TEKS that the state requires. If we dont cover everything they cant pass the test. I agree the state test is ridiculous, but installing character and testing it is the job of the parents. I do try instill positive character traits and model them for my students, but my real job is teaching academics. We also have FCA, KEy Club etc that help with character but I'm not sure how you would have a project to test that. Also sad to say but that won't get them in college.
Actually, teachers also have the responsiblity to instill values such as character, work ethic, etc. Teachers who only believe in the responsibility of teaching academics are partly the downfall in education as well. I assume your response is, "that's what I get paid for...academics." Remember kids spend at least 40 hrs a week with teachers, and keep in mind our tax dollars pay teachers salary. Character is the definition of moral excellence. Your lack of actions display your empty words spoken to administrators....if that was even done. You walk a fine line "teacher." Good job following the wolves with the rest of the blind sheep. It must have been years since you applied to a university or interviewed for a job because extra curricular and volunteer work is highly regarded. Are you a real teacher or just a forum poser?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#25 Mar 5, 2013
WOW wrote:
I don't think enough parents are aware of what is ACTUALLY being taught in schools these days. I know teachers who say that it puts their passion to teach in a box. Some of the information it gives students it far from the truth we were taught. Don't take my word on it......ask, research, and get involved!!! It's your responsibility, and question these things!!! It's normal and sane to be curious to know the truth.
http://www.txcscopereview.com/
I hope you can attend the Open Public Forum on CSCOPE on march 7th in Henderson - guest speaker Michelle Smith will inform us -

Location hidden

#26 Mar 5, 2013
Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope all parents and educators will attend the Open Forum on CSCOPE in Henderson on March 7th at the henderson Federal Savings at 7 pm

Location hidden

#27 Mar 5, 2013
holy crap wrote:
http://www.txcscopereview.com/ 2013/cscope-wheres-the-money/
Teachers can't even talk about it or they get fired!!! Shame on our administrators!!!!
There will be an CSCOPE Open Forum march 7th at 7 pm at the Henderson Federal Bank with guest speaker Michelle Smith with Concerned Women For America. She attended all of the State hearings on this issue and has the latest information for teachers, parents and tax payers. Of course CSCOPE is under investigation and there are rumors that Common Core is considering purchasing CSCOPE - this would be terrible for our state and our children.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#28 Mar 5, 2013
5000YearLeap wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be an CSCOPE Open Forum march 7th at 7 pm at the Henderson Federal Bank with guest speaker Michelle Smith with Concerned Women For America. She attended all of the State hearings on this issue and has the latest information for teachers, parents and tax payers. Of course CSCOPE is under investigation and there are rumors that Common Core is considering purchasing CSCOPE - this would be terrible for our state and our children.
And just what is her agenda and who is she working for?
seeker of the truth

Austin, TX

#29 Mar 5, 2013
CSCOPE is not the evil beast that everyone seems to be touting about. It takes the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), which are the state standards approved and adopted by the State Board of Education, and maps them out over the year so teachers will have taught all of the TEKS. Our teachers are mandated to teach these TEKS (Not a CSCOPE mandate, but mandated by the state of Texas). Here is the link to the state standards for all subjects: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx...
All lessons are written to address the TEKS, and are simply examples of how the TEKS could be taught. Nothing is included in the curriculum that is not addressing the state standards. So, if you have a problem with the curriculum, you might want to directt your concerns about the standards with the SBOE since they are the ones who approved them and the legislature mandates teachers teach them.
In addition, the smearing campaign that started the "investigation" into the CSCOPE curriculum is based upon miscommunications, misconceptions, and at best mistruths.
seeker of the truth

Austin, TX

#30 Mar 5, 2013
5000YearLeap wrote:
<quoted text>
CSCOPE is not for purchase by the "Common Core". CSCOPE is a Texas curriculum written to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills by Texas educators for Texas teachers. Why in the world would Common Core consider purchasing something that was written for ONE state? Common Core is not an entity, it is what the standards are called that are adopted by 45 states, four territories, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. And the Common Core, as far as I can tell from my research, address only mathematics and English Language Arts.

Location hidden

#31 Mar 5, 2013
it should be banned wrote:
Rep. Steve Toth is calling for the investigation and transparency of CSCOPE. He is trying to pass HB760 to make everyone aware of this organization...he's also trying to pass a FIREARM PROTECTION ACT making it illegal for federal government to pass crazy gun control. This bill supports sheriffs and state law officers to help protect our rights. This guy is also a pastor who has a heart for Christ. We need more people in office like him!
I hope you can come and learn the latest from Michelle Smith on the matter at the Public Forum on March 7th in Henderson. She attended the hearings and can share what is myth and what is truth and what schools can and are doing. she also will update on the investigations in the potential unethical business practices of the CSCOPE organizers.

Location hidden

#32 Mar 5, 2013
Sterling Marlin wrote:
<quoted text>
And just what is her agenda and who is she working for?
Her agenda is only to share what she learned at the hearings & what current legislation is being considered to hold this organization accountable to state education guidelines. She will most likely give updates on the investigation over the questionable finanes of the organization. Michelle also can correct misconceptions and give information on myths and rumors and pros and cons of the curriculum. She would also like to encourage parents to be more active in knowing what their kids are being taught and what curriculum is being used in your school district. It would be wise for all taxpayers to be aware of where their money is going. Anyone with questions and who wants to know the truth should boldly attend the meeting and ask her directly.
Seeker of the Truth

Austin, TX

#33 Mar 5, 2013
5000YearLeap wrote:
<quoted text>
Her agenda is only to share what she learned at the hearings & what current legislation is being considered to hold this organization accountable to state education guidelines. She will most likely give updates on the investigation over the questionable finanes of the organization. Michelle also can correct misconceptions and give information on myths and rumors and pros and cons of the curriculum. She would also like to encourage parents to be more active in knowing what their kids are being taught and what curriculum is being used in your school district. It would be wise for all taxpayers to be aware of where their money is going. Anyone with questions and who wants to know the truth should boldly attend the meeting and ask her directly.
How does she know the truth about the curriculum? What does she know about curriculum design? Is she familiar with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills? What about the other curriculums that are being sold to districts by individuals?

Location hidden

#34 Mar 5, 2013
Seeker of the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
How does she know the truth about the curriculum? What does she know about curriculum design? Is she familiar with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills? What about the other curriculums that are being sold to districts by individuals?
Yes she is very knowledgable of all that you mentioned.

Location hidden

#35 Mar 5, 2013
seeker of the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
CSCOPE is not for purchase by the "Common Core". CSCOPE is a Texas curriculum written to the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills by Texas educators for Texas teachers. Why in the world would Common Core consider purchasing something that was written for ONE state? Common Core is not an entity, it is what the standards are called that are adopted by 45 states, four territories, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. And the Common Core, as far as I can tell from my research, address only mathematics and English Language Arts.
Actually Common Core covers more than that. My daughter is a teacher in Oklahoma and uses it daily - I know some of what is in it and I also visited a store there for teachers that had mainly Common Core supplemental material and it coverd all subjects.The government could in reality pay for the rights to CSCOPE and implement it with CSCOPE if it wanted to.
Seeker of the Truth

Austin, TX

#36 Mar 6, 2013
5000YearLeap wrote:
<quoted text>Actually Common Core covers more than that. My daughter is a teacher in Oklahoma and uses it daily - I know some of what is in it and I also visited a store there for teachers that had mainly Common Core supplemental material and it coverd all subjects.The government could in reality pay for the rights to CSCOPE and implement it with CSCOPE if it wanted to.
Here is the website to the Common Core. Http://www.corestamdards.org . I don't see where they address Social Studies, or Science. Can you let me know where I might find the others?
I have a grandchild living in another state, which uses the common core standards. All I've seen is related to math and ELA/Reading. And, just because a teacher's store has supplemental materials that addresses other subjects doesn't mean they are truly 100% aligned. We see that in Texas with the TEKS all the time.
Thanks

Henderson, TX

#37 Mar 6, 2013
5000YearLeap wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope all parents and educators will attend the Open Forum on CSCOPE in Henderson on March 7th at the henderson Federal Savings at 7 pm
Good to know. I don't usually get on topix, but this was the only site I found talking about cscope. I've been looking for information on the curriculum and I haven't found anything. So I'll be going!!! Thanks

Location hidden

#38 Mar 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Here is the website to the Common Core. Http://www.corestamdards.org . I don't see where they address Social Studies, or Science. Can you let me know where I might find the others?
I have a grandchild living in another state, which uses the common core standards. All I've seen is related to math and ELA/Reading. And, just because a teacher's store has supplemental materials that addresses other subjects doesn't mean they are truly 100% aligned. We see that in Texas with the TEKS all the time.
Because some schools are new to Common Core it is being implented in phases - I promise you eventually all subjects will be covered in Common Core.

Location hidden

#39 Mar 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Here is one example of a time line of implementation in Florida. Each school can get access to all subjects and implement them in phases http://www.fldoe.org/BII/pdf/CCSS-Implementat...

Location hidden

#40 Mar 6, 2013
Not to mention lowering the Math Standards. http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/338428... #
Drill Here

United States

#41 Mar 8, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wow she's locked up 7 min Narcissistic 17
Verizon Service 11 hr so sad 2
mug shot of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 12 hr reap what you sow 8
Looking for Lawn Mower & Chainsaw Shop (Jan '14) Wed YEA WHATEVER 30
chase holts Wed Sad sad 55
Who is Rand Cates Wed WB 5
Henderson City Government At Its Finest Aug 20 Confused 2

Henderson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance