United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

My friend drives a 2007 Volkswagon Jetta,nice car.She also has to have assistance buying food for her 3 small children.At one time her and her husband made a good living and their cars and house were paid off.Unfortunetly her husband was killed in a horrible car accident,her job fired her because her grief for her dead husband was so strong she couldn't handle going back to work at the time her employer thought she should.The insurance money wasn't much and soon ran out,she took a lower paying job.With 3 children,doctors appointments,dentist,clothing and general needs were over whelming for her,there just wasn't enough money.I hope when she is in line at the grocery store she doesn't get judged or when she takes her groceries out to her nice car.I hope none of you people that have had nothing but negative comments never have to find your selves at the welfare office because when and if you do you'll be thinking about what it's like to be depending on others that think just as you do.My friend did get into nursing school but even with that it will probably never be enough so I am glad there is a system in our country that helps those in need.
And to the poster that says they are going to confront a person the next time they are in line at the grocery store I hope you get a much sadder story and feel like a complete ASS!! Just because a person has food stamps is that a reason to deny a child a soda or any other treats? Why not just mind your buisness and be proud of the fact your taxes go to help a family that is less fortunate than you.
a difference

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

A soda or some treats is not the same as a whole shopping basket full of nothing but sugar-filled junk foods. And there are people who own decent cars whose lives change so that they are eligible for some assistance.
The government has requirements of who is eligible and what can be bought with Lone Star cards. State workers have to apply the guidelines they are given in determining benefits. There are people who get benefits who probably shouldn't and those who need help who can't get it. And the worker has to maintain confidentiality of information they are given. Don't think they never turn in a case for possible fraud, but it is up to other people to decide whether to pursue investigation.
Your friend with the three children should be receiving Social Security to help with living expenses. Life is not easy but she will survive.
Yes to SSSB

Tatum, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

She should apply if she hasnt already for Social Security Survivor Benefits. The kids will get a check until 18 from what the dad paid into SS.
Gypsy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Yes to SSSB wrote:
She should apply if she hasnt already for Social Security Survivor Benefits. The kids will get a check until 18 from what the dad paid into SS.
Duh!! Of course she has done that but just how much do you think those checks are? We are talking about Social Security !
omg

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Gypsy wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh!! Of course she has done that but just how much do you think those checks are? We are talking about Social Security !
You are either the dumbest person in the world or you believe everything your friend tells you. If your friend's car and house were paid for, and she has a job and she AND her 3 kids are getting survivor benefits, then I can assure you that she doesn't NEED a Lone Star card. Get real and do the math. Social Security benefits are not be be sneezed at. That's 4 checks coming in every month and that's just SS. When my friend's husband got killed, she and her 2 kids got checks. It was enough that she was able to cut back at work and she still had car and house notes. Cry somebody else a handful, I'm not feeling it. Your friend, like many others, is abusing the system. Believe me, I do not begrudge children food or treats; I do begrudge anyone a buggy full of junk food (and please tell me when a child NEEDS 6 12-packs of Dr. Pepper). It's not required and it certainly isn't healthy. I don't like paying for the junk food and then the doctor bill because they are not properly nourished.
me too

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

I think they should go back to commodities, so people will get the basic food staples and not be able to use cards on junk food
P ssd off

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

So this week, while I was shopping I saw a very well known person in Walmart buying all this candy and stuff. I said hi and was told she was stocking up for her kids parties this week. I also happened to be near her when she checked out. Paid with a lone star card. I fell out!!
nomad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

omg wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either the dumbest person in the world or you believe everything your friend tells you. If your friend's car and house were paid for, and she has a job and she AND her 3 kids are getting survivor benefits, then I can assure you that she doesn't NEED a Lone Star card. Get real and do the math. Social Security benefits are not be be sneezed at. That's 4 checks coming in every month and that's just SS. When my friend's husband got killed, she and her 2 kids got checks. It was enough that she was able to cut back at work and she still had car and house notes. Cry somebody else a handful, I'm not feeling it. Your friend, like many others, is abusing the system. Believe me, I do not begrudge children food or treats; I do begrudge anyone a buggy full of junk food (and please tell me when a child NEEDS 6 12-packs of Dr. Pepper). It's not required and it certainly isn't healthy. I don't like paying for the junk food and then the doctor bill because they are not properly nourished.
While your your friend may be able to manage her situation others may not be so fortunate. Perhaps Gypsy's friend despite being relatively debt-free has children with medical problems or a disabled parent. I don't think anyone advocates gaming the system but for people in real need, Social Security benefits only allow a person their choice of death. Eat cat food and freeze or starve and stay warm. Meanwhile, the trillions given to the bankers could have paid off everyone's debt. Deadbeats also wear suits. Like you, it infuriates me to be taken for a rube by someone just because they can. We can do better.
omg

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

nomad wrote:
<quoted text>While your your friend may be able to manage her situation others may not be so fortunate. Perhaps Gypsy's friend despite being relatively debt-free has children with medical problems or a disabled parent. I don't think anyone advocates gaming the system but for people in real need, Social Security benefits only allow a person their choice of death. Eat cat food and freeze or starve and stay warm. Meanwhile, the trillions given to the bankers could have paid off everyone's debt. Deadbeats also wear suits. Like you, it infuriates me to be taken for a rube by someone just because they can. We can do better.
I am not talking about the amount of money one gets from SS when they retire. Each child get X amount on a check each month, the surviving parent also receives X amount on a check each month until they remarry or their last child turns 18 or finishes his/her last year in high school. If one is debt free, has a job of some kind, and 3 children then they are living waaaaay beyond their means and mine. If she has a child with serious medical problems, then that child would be able to get medicaid. How can a person not eke out a living (and a fair one at that) with those resources? A disabled parent would also be eligble to draw benefits. Let's quit making excuses for these people. They take the easy way out and let the rest of us pick up the bill.
Gypsy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

omg wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not talking about the amount of money one gets from SS when they retire. Each child get X amount on a check each month, the surviving parent also receives X amount on a check each month until they remarry or their last child turns 18 or finishes his/her last year in high school. If one is debt free, has a job of some kind, and 3 children then they are living waaaaay beyond their means and mine. If she has a child with serious medical problems, then that child would be able to get medicaid. How can a person not eke out a living (and a fair one at that) with those resources? A disabled parent would also be eligble to draw benefits. Let's quit making excuses for these people. They take the easy way out and let the rest of us pick up the bill.
You pass judgement on a situation you know nothing about! So that would make you the dumbest person EVER !! If you read my post you would see I did mention Doctor visits,and if you knew half of what you talk about some people just don't qulify for medicaid.I did say she had a job and was in nursing school but her skin is white and there does seem to be a double standard there!Who wronged you in life to make you such a hate filled ass?If you weren't paying taxes for this the goverment would get it from you one way or the other so put that in that pipe you must be smoking!What's your excuse to bitch about these people? Why not take it up w/ the goverment instead of threads that make you sound cold hearted!See how far that gets you!At the end of the day they will still TAX you for every cent they can get!! No getting out of it so put your big girl panties on and deal with it!!
Gypsy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

QULIFY should of been QAULIFY.
omg

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

Gypsy wrote:
<quoted text>
You pass judgement on a situation you know nothing about! So that would make you the dumbest person EVER !! If you read my post you would see I did mention Doctor visits,and if you knew half of what you talk about some people just don't qulify for medicaid.I did say she had a job and was in nursing school but her skin is white and there does seem to be a double standard there!Who wronged you in life to make you such a hate filled ass?If you weren't paying taxes for this the goverment would get it from you one way or the other so put that in that pipe you must be smoking!What's your excuse to bitch about these people? Why not take it up w/ the goverment instead of threads that make you sound cold hearted!See how far that gets you!At the end of the day they will still TAX you for every cent they can get!! No getting out of it so put your big girl panties on and deal with it!!
If you think it's okay for people to sit back and ride the backs of others, that's your perogative. I don't like it and I don't imagine any other hard working person in the country does either. The fact that you think it's okay leads me to think you might also be a rider. I don't own a lot of things in this world, but what I do have my husband and I worked for. We ate beans, potatoes, and cornbread a lot because that was all we could afford. One thing we didn't do was run down to the welfare office and lie to get benefits we didn't deserve and could live without. Most people don't know how to cut back and wouldn't if they knew. So you put that in YOUR pipe and smoke whatever the crap it is that your using. Did you buy that crap instead of grocries? BTW, just going to the doctor doesn't equal having a child with medical problems. That sounds more like going to antidepressants.
nomad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

As someone who grew up with a disabled parent, I find your belief incredulous. Do you really think someone in that position has a good living? There are honest poor people who's struggles are being marginalized because welfare queens abuse the system. I know this as fact because I grew up poor. I'm happy you're comfortable but many of our people are not. Your smug indifference of the suffering all around you is astonishing.
omg

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

nomad wrote:
As someone who grew up with a disabled parent, I find your belief incredulous. Do you really think someone in that position has a good living? There are honest poor people who's struggles are being marginalized because welfare queens abuse the system. I know this as fact because I grew up poor. I'm happy you're comfortable but many of our people are not. Your smug indifference of the suffering all around you is astonishing.
I have no, I repeat no, problem with people getting assistance who need it. As a matter of fact, I'm all for it; that's what ticks me off so much when these people who drive around in nice new cars, with nice new clothes abuse the system. I also know about disabled parents. We siblings and I cared for two and a disabled relative who lived with them. We all managed to get by with a little less in order to help them. The 3 of them got SS and medicare and medicaid. I'm not heartless, but I am sick of users and abusers.
STFU

Tatum, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

Judged:

P ssd off wrote:
So this week, while I was shopping I saw a very well known person in Walmart buying all this candy and stuff. I said hi and was told she was stocking up for her kids parties this week. I also happened to be near her when she checked out. Paid with a lone star card. I fell out!!
You sure it wasnt today? And I sure didnt see your butt hit the floor! Did you also see me run my debit card after running my lonestar card? I work 5days a week, and I also receive a small amount of food stamps.I am a single parent, I need a little help, so therefore I did apply for food stamps. Im sure your kids will eat the candy bought with foodstamps just like they would with candy bought with your credit card that you may never get paid off.
And I didnt know I was "well known"!!! Thanks, I never knew I was popular! I guess your jealousy is showing.
BBHC

Doha, Qatar

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2009

me too wrote:
I think they should go back to commodities, so people will get the basic food staples and not be able to use cards on junk food
You may be surprised to learn that the Snack Food Association (SFA) opposes the limitng of choices for Food Stamp recipients. I imagine name brand food companies would also oppose restricting participants to generic brands. Then again, generic brand companies (Wal Mart/Sam's Choice) might approve of it.

http://www.sfa.org/bakerymag/march07.pdf
Page 64
Gypsy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2009

Judged:

omg wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think it's okay for people to sit back and ride the backs of others, that's your perogative. I don't like it and I don't imagine any other hard working person in the country does either. The fact that you think it's okay leads me to think you might also be a rider. I don't own a lot of things in this world, but what I do have my husband and I worked for. We ate beans, potatoes, and cornbread a lot because that was all we could afford. One thing we didn't do was run down to the welfare office and lie to get benefits we didn't deserve and could live without. Most people don't know how to cut back and wouldn't if they knew. So you put that in YOUR pipe and smoke whatever the crap it is that your using. Did you buy that crap instead of grocries? BTW, just going to the doctor doesn't equal having a child with medical problems. That sounds more like going to antidepressants.
Let me put this to you as simple as your narrow mind can comprehend,I did not put my friends entire life story out here so your assumptions are taking off with a rate of ignorance!!
My husband and I own a small buisness and he also works up to 70 hours a week at his regular job.We to have ate rice and beans not because we just had to but for the sake of saving money.And never have we had to use the welfare system.But my friend has bills like the rest of us and with 3 small children the small income she has just isn't enough at the end of the day.With your broad way of thinking did you ever consider taxes on land,taxes on a home,insurance on a home and car that are required? No of course you didn't,you just let your self get worked up over someones choice to buy cookies and soda for their children.Did you ever stop and think if they are on welfare maybe they can't afford to take them to the movies or buy them the toys they want and this may be the only treat they have in their circumstances? I never said welfare abuse is ok,but it is ok for the ones that truly need it and it is none of your buisness what they put in their grocery cart!!And FYI my friend has all the support she needs and does not use mood altering medication.But her middle child does suffer from asthma and she has had to take off work for days at a time during hospital stays.So never assume!!

Since: Aug 09

Henderson

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2009

Judged:

Gypsy wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me put this to you as simple as your narrow mind can comprehend,I did not put my friends entire life story out here so your assumptions are taking off with a rate of ignorance!!
My husband and I own a small buisness and he also works up to 70 hours a week at his regular job.We to have ate rice and beans not because we just had to but for the sake of saving money.And never have we had to use the welfare system.But my friend has bills like the rest of us and with 3 small children the small income she has just isn't enough at the end of the day.With your broad way of thinking did you ever consider taxes on land,taxes on a home,insurance on a home and car that are required? No of course you didn't,you just let your self get worked up over someones choice to buy cookies and soda for their children.Did you ever stop and think if they are on welfare maybe they can't afford to take them to the movies or buy them the toys they want and this may be the only treat they have in their circumstances? I never said welfare abuse is ok,but it is ok for the ones that truly need it and it is none of your buisness what they put in their grocery cart!!And FYI my friend has all the support she needs and does not use mood altering medication.But her middle child does suffer from asthma and she has had to take off work for days at a time during hospital stays.So never assume!!
I have read all these posts and I have to tell you, ma'am, you are making assumptions that cover everything from A to Z. Wives lose husbands everyday. They also lose children, parents, brothers and sisters. It would indeed be a chaotic place if everyone who had a lose just shut down as you said your friend did. If her child has asthma to point of being hospitalized on a regular basis and she is getting survivor benefits from Social Security, then she would certainly qualify for medicaid. It seems strange that you say she doesn't. There are many, many people, single moms and otherwise, who need and qualify for assistance. Your friend has obviously fallen prey to her own drama. She has three children, one of whom has severe medical problems. She doesn't have time to wallow in the poor pitiful me ditch. With four Social Security checks and a work check coming into her household each month, there is no reason for her to be receiving welfare benefits except that she, unlike you, doesn't like to or want to economize. I would appreciate it (since you think she needs additional help over the five checks she already has coming in) if you would supplement your friends income out of your own pocket. Mine has already been picked clean. I imagine you wouldn't be so quick to defend her lack of economy if you personally had to pay for it (and I don't mean through taxes, but from your pocket).
get real

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2009

Social Security sends out statements, every year I think, where they list possible family benefits if a parent dies. For the amount to be too little to provide necessities (wants?) in that situation, either the family has a high standard of living or possibly the father was self-employed and didn't report all his income. You have not mentioned any overwhelming medical costs as being the problem.
People should look at their potential benefits and take other actions to protect the family if something happens to the family breadwinner(s).
Ruby Slipper

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2009

the critter wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read all these posts and I have to tell you, ma'am, you are making assumptions that cover everything from A to Z. Wives lose husbands everyday. They also lose children, parents, brothers and sisters. It would indeed be a chaotic place if everyone who had a lose just shut down as you said your friend did. If her child has asthma to point of being hospitalized on a regular basis and she is getting survivor benefits from Social Security, then she would certainly qualify for medicaid. It seems strange that you say she doesn't. There are many, many people, single moms and otherwise, who need and qualify for assistance. Your friend has obviously fallen prey to her own drama. She has three children, one of whom has severe medical problems. She doesn't have time to wallow in the poor pitiful me ditch. With four Social Security checks and a work check coming into her household each month, there is no reason for her to be receiving welfare benefits except that she, unlike you, doesn't like to or want to economize. I would appreciate it (since you think she needs additional help over the five checks she already has coming in) if you would supplement your friends income out of your own pocket. Mine has already been picked clean. I imagine you wouldn't be so quick to defend her lack of economy if you personally had to pay for it (and I don't mean through taxes, but from your pocket).
Thank you, Critter. I agree 110%!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Henderson Forum right now

Search the Henderson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 9 min Truth is might 17,184
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 24 min Truth is might 21,648
Brent Neibert (May '12) Tue lol 46
Dawn Gilmore Mon Hummm 1
Lone Star card (Aug '12) Mon Just Saying 36
Judge: New charge for driver involved in fatal ... Sun bebe 1
Henderson lawman will retire after 40 years of ... Sun bebe 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Henderson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000