Pinky

Hartley, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Today paper reports there are 770 students at middle school and that they are putting them in every nook and cranny. I remember when there were over
900 students. Not saying we don't need a new school, just saying what I remember.
Country Girl

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Although the student numbers may be less, many of the classrooms are not usable, as they have asbestos and/or falling ceilings that are beyond repair. My child is a freshman this year who just came from three years at HMS, and I believe it was last year that her science class had to move out of the 8th grade lab they were in into a regular classroom for the rest of the year because the ceiling caved in. She had told us then that several rooms were empty and not able to be used because of dangerous conditions.
Parent

Huntsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Yes that is correct there are a couple of class rooms that are unable to be used because of the condition of the rooms. These are not things that maintenance can fix. They are mainly structural issues with the foundation.
true

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Saw the inside last year. There were unlevel floors in one wing and the foundation has shifted where the science classes were. The doors wouldn't close in the science rooms.
alumni

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

true wrote:
Saw the inside last year. There were unlevel floors in one wing and the foundation has shifted where the science classes were. The doors wouldn't close in the science rooms.
It's all ok because the indoor football field is in great shape so don't worry.
taxpayer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Parent wrote:
Yes that is correct there are a couple of class rooms that are unable to be used because of the condition of the rooms. These are not things that maintenance can fix. They are mainly structural issues with the foundation.
Until the school board members are held accountable for misuse of funds (aka the Dickie dome) I will be voting no
proud parent

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Until the school board members are held accountable for misuse of funds (aka the Dickie dome) I will be voting no
Give us some ideas about what you would like to see done to them? I say we hold them accountable by voting to spend money somewhere we need it.... like a middle school campus. I think we should hold people accountable for using lame excuses to keep a few pennies a day in their tight wallets at the expense of the the safety of the children in this town.
Idea

Natchitoches, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

Move the 6th grade to Chaimberlan, then demolish the so called "unsafe" parts of the building
QueenB

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
You're punishing kids for something adults did. Holding grudges isn't healthy or productive. There's a lot of people that wish they could go back in time and change what happened but they can't. It's time to move forward and stop punishing these kids for what a few adults did.
mnc

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

You're the one punishing the kids by saddling them with your debt. If you want a new school how about taking the pensions of the maintenance department for the job they didn't do?
goat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

QueenB wrote:
<quoted text>You're punishing kids for something adults did. Holding grudges isn't healthy or productive. There's a lot of people that wish they could go back in time and change what happened but they can't. It's time to move forward and stop punishing these kids for what a few adults did.
So lets teach the kids that its ok to spend your money on something that you want and then expect other people to have to pay for something that you need
I doubt it

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Pinky wrote:
Today paper reports there are 770 students at middle school and that they are putting them in every nook and cranny. I remember when there were over
900 students. Not saying we don't need a new school, just saying what I remember.
What year? I teach HS and we have not graduated over 250 in years and usually they are closer to 200. Even though the classes get smaller as they move to graduation , I can't imagine a time when there were three classes with an average of 300 each. BUT I have been told the kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades have 300 or more so we will need room as they come up.
I doubt it

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

goat wrote:
<quoted text>
So lets teach the kids that its ok to spend your money on something that you want and then expect other people to have to pay for something that you need
What a ridiculous comment. Do you solely pay for the roads you drive on, the library, the other schools, the police salary ,etc? Teach the kids a community works together for the good of all.
goat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

I doubt it wrote:
<quoted text>What a ridiculous comment. Do you solely pay for the roads you drive on, the library, the other schools, the police salary ,etc? Teach the kids a community works together for the good of all.
You missed my point completely. We had the money needed for the new school but the school board thought it could spend it on a football practice facility and then get the bond for the middle school. The cash in hand should have been spent on what it was meant for---education
proud parent

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

goat wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed my point completely. We had the money needed for the new school but the school board thought it could spend it on a football practice facility and then get the bond for the middle school. The cash in hand should have been spent on what it was meant for---education
So if they had presented a 23 million dollar bond and said they were going to put the 5 million with it to finish the new middle school you would be all for it??? I dont believe that at all. You are using the dickey dome to keep selling yourself that you are not a cheapskate. The money would have been a drop in the bucket to fix all that needs to be fixed at that middle school. That school has had 20 years of band aids put on it..... it is time to build a new one and quit trying to patch up that 60 plus year old piece of junk.
goat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2013

Judged:

proud parent wrote:
<quoted text>So if they had presented a 23 million dollar bond and said they were going to put the 5 million with it to finish the new middle school you would be all for it??? I dont believe that at all. You are using the dickey dome to keep selling yourself that you are not a cheapskate. The money would have been a drop in the bucket to fix all that needs to be fixed at that middle school. That school has had 20 years of band aids put on it..... it is time to build a new one and quit trying to patch up that 60 plus year old piece of junk.
The point is they should have fixed or built a new middle school when they had the money. Then there would have been no need for a bond. What part of that do you not comprehend
proud parent

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

goat wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is they should have fixed or built a new middle school when they had the money. Then there would have been no need for a bond. What part of that do you not comprehend
You really believe you could fix or build a new middle school with a little over 4 million dollars? You cant even demolish the old one and do away with all of the asbestos for that. Hey yall goat is taking us all out for a soda pop and a movie! Make sure you bring a nickel for your drink and popcorn! at least think a little bit before you start typing on your keyboard......or maybe you are using a telegraph machine??
goat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

proud parent wrote:
<quoted text>You really believe you could fix or build a new middle school with a little over 4 million dollars? You cant even demolish the old one and do away with all of the asbestos for that. Hey yall goat is taking us all out for a soda pop and a movie! Make sure you bring a nickel for your drink and popcorn! at least think a little bit before you start typing on your keyboard......or maybe you are using a telegraph machine??
You are so out of touch with reality that I will not respond to your post any longer you vote yes and I will vote no and let's just leave it at that
Interesting

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

The bond money could go towards the lawsuit. I'm sure the board could swing the bond money in that direction.
proud parent

Henderson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

goat wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so out of touch with reality that I will not respond to your post any longer you vote yes and I will vote no and let's just leave it at that
In other words......you know I am right about your motives. You wouldn't vote yes if the school we have fell down over the weekend.
The sad part about it is there are parts of it that could!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Henderson Forum right now

Search the Henderson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Defiant1 17,289
Judge: New charge for driver involved in fatal ... 3 hr whatever 7
Wendy Davis too liberal for texas 3 hr whatever 4
Lawnmnower repair 4 hr Yo yo 1
Anyone has bought from Oasap? What about the qu... (Nov '13) 4 hr Catherine 2
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 6 hr That Fart Guy 21,736
Henderson lawman will retire after 40 years of ... 10 hr Just me 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Henderson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Henderson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE