First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#1 Apr 17, 2008
Who knows the story? How can I find the history? Where is it located? Is it even true?
RCTWR

Henderson, TX

#2 Apr 17, 2008
Which witch?
breezy

Henderson, TX

#3 Apr 17, 2008
I hope someone tells you because I am curious too...
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#4 Apr 17, 2008
I heard a story about some witch in New Salem? Out near Lake Striker? They hung her way back in the day. Sorry don't know more info. I just moved to the area.
FYI

Henderson, TX

#5 Apr 17, 2008
Salem girl wrote:
Who knows the story? How can I find the history? Where is it located? Is it even true?
Been there many times. Her name was Lucinda Hunt
and no she was not a witch but, the grave site was a cool place if you like bobcats. I am sure this grave site is on private property now.

“Believe, your opinion counts.”

Since: Oct 07

Henderson

#6 Apr 17, 2008
There is alot of creepy ghost stories in Henderson. The Witches grave, the ghost at the Howard Dickeson House, Daphne at the Theater, The Glowing grave (still trying to find it) and a supposed haunted tree somewhere in town where hangings occured and much more.
Got Orbs

Henderson, TX

#7 Apr 17, 2008
Do people go there to hunt bob cats? Or is it something different like an unusaul stone?
Jen

United States

#8 Apr 17, 2008
There was supposed to be a haunted tree on 6 mile hill(cr 317) it is gone though.
There is also a bridge on a cr off of 79n that they call witches hallow.Its on the left about 2-3 miles before you reach FM348. It use to be very scary. The road, bridge and surroundings have since changed so its no longer scary.
Ive also heard of a bridge somewhere in Rusk Co. that has the ghost of two little boys jumping off the side. They supposedly drowned jumping off the side.
I have also heard of the glowing grave, I have never been but would like to see it.
Jen

United States

#9 Apr 17, 2008
Anyone remember the Coffin House off of FM 2867? It burned down many yrs ago. My mother told me when she was in HS (back in late 60's early 70's), kids use to hang out there, and there were strange things going on in that house.
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#10 Apr 18, 2008
Now I'm really curious! Wow, so many stories in Rusk County.
Tell me more, Tell me more!!!
Jen

United States

#11 Apr 18, 2008
Theres a website that tells all the ghost stories, haunted places in each state. I dont remember the name of the site. You can google haunted places to find it.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, TX

#12 Apr 18, 2008
There is an old hanging tree at Gage Cemetary...still there and is supposedly 'haunted'.
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#13 Apr 18, 2008
Gage Cemetery near Laneville? I think I've driven past this several times.

Since: Apr 08

Dallas, TX

#14 Apr 18, 2008
Yes mam. It is the LARGE tree outside the cemetary but at the entrance. It has been cut on top I believe but you can see some scarring from ropes, etc used for the hangings. Some have reported seeing people/ghosts hanging from it at night.
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#15 Apr 18, 2008
spooky. exciting! I feel like a teenager in high school again.
Salem girl

Kilgore, TX

#16 Apr 18, 2008
jellybean1 wrote:
There is alot of creepy ghost stories in Henderson. The Witches grave, the ghost at the Howard Dickeson House, Daphne at the Theater, The Glowing grave (still trying to find it) and a supposed haunted tree somewhere in town where hangings occured and much more.
What's the story about Daphne? I've heard the Howard Dickenson one. I went to a friends wedding there.
fuzzy memory

AOL

#18 Apr 18, 2008
Salem girl wrote:
I went there as a teenager in the early 80's. There wasn't much to it, just an old grave with an old metal fence around it. All I remember is that it is off 79 S and there was a tower (fire? or electrical?) near it. You could climb up the tower and see the lights of Henderson from that hill.
bahaha

Henderson, TX

#19 Apr 18, 2008
fuzzy memory wrote:
<quoted text>
I went there as a teenager in the early 80's. There wasn't much to it, just an old grave with an old metal fence around it. All I remember is that it is off 79 S and there was a tower (fire? or electrical?) near it. You could climb up the tower and see the lights of Henderson from that hill.

Was is off of 839 on some little CR close to Lake Striker? If so, then yeah, I have been there plenty.. I've heard several people call it a witches grave, but never really believed them... Hrmmm. Little bit scarrry..
Indeed

Houston, TX

#20 Apr 18, 2008
Daphne was a young woman, I want to say she was pregnant, who (I think) saw a dr. in the building of what is now the HCT. I assume she died there. Anyway, her ghost supposedly haunts the theatre and wanders around the third floor.

The Howard-Dickenson house is where one brother shot and killed another--I think the fight started downstairs in the kitchen and finished in one of the bedrooms. The blood-stain is still there in the hardwood floor, if I recall correctly.
fuzzy memory

AOL

#21 Apr 18, 2008
bahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Was is off of 839 on some little CR close to Lake Striker? If so, then yeah, I have been there plenty.. I've heard several people call it a witches grave, but never really believed them... Hrmmm. Little bit scarrry..
I don't remember going out 839. Seems maybe we went further out 79. But we did turn to the left. The way those county roads twist and turn I could be that we are talking about the same place though since there is more than one way to get to Stiker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
snitching is at a all time high 7 hr theyknow 14
Destinie Linn Webb looking for married men. Tue no1important 10
Lone Star card (Aug '12) Mon keeping in rral 41
Henderson is so pathetic Dec 22 Just Wondering 10
Has anyone ever had to deal with ALL AMERICAN A... (Jan '11) Dec 22 Donna Hill 23
Review: Heritage Intentional Mercantile (Apr '14) Dec 21 Jane 3
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Henderson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Henderson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Henderson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Henderson

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:43 am PST

ESPN10:43AM
Texans' Quessenberry fiercely battles lymphoma
NBC Sports 1:53 PM
Case Keenum fills in nicely at QB for Texans - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:07 PM
Why aren't other teams lining up for Jason Garrett?
Yahoo! Sports 2:25 PM
Romo's best version looking good for Cowboys
Bleacher Report 1:23 AM
Hot Cowboys Value Staying Sharp over Rest; Playing to Win vs. Redskins