excessive noise in a duplex?

excessive noise in a duplex?

Posted in the Henderson Forum

UGH

United States

#1 Oct 9, 2012
I was just wondering what can/will be done about excessive noise in a duplex. Does anyone know? The landlord/tenant act for KY plainly states that the landlord has the duty to ensure 'quiet enjoyment' is attainable by both renting parties. Well, these neighbors jumped my a$$ for being upset bc they were moving in at 2am and woke my children up. The landlord then had the audacity to call me cursing, saying that I need to learn how to deal with people and noise, and that people can't live around my schedule. I am under the impression that there indeed IS a noise ordinance as of 10pm. At this moment their kid is jumping back and forth across the floor over there and is keeping my family from sleeping. Although it's not quite 10 I am asking because it'll continue until 11 or later. I cannot live here any longer with this ridiculous behavior from the renters and the landlord. There also hasn't been a lease signed. So I'm considering not paying rent since there is no signed agreement as to when and how much to pay. Does anyone know for sure what I can do and what would be done by police, without posing as a lawyer when actually not knowing anything about the laws? Thanks in advance. Signed,
Pissed the %^*# off
Wow

Haubstadt, IN

#2 Oct 9, 2012
UGH wrote:
I was just wondering what can/will be done about excessive noise in a duplex. Does anyone know? The landlord/tenant act for KY plainly states that the landlord has the duty to ensure 'quiet enjoyment' is attainable by both renting parties. Well, these neighbors jumped my a$$ for being upset bc they were moving in at 2am and woke my children up. The landlord then had the audacity to call me cursing, saying that I need to learn how to deal with people and noise, and that people can't live around my schedule. I am under the impression that there indeed IS a noise ordinance as of 10pm. At this moment their kid is jumping back and forth across the floor over there and is keeping my family from sleeping. Although it's not quite 10 I am asking because it'll continue until 11 or later. I cannot live here any longer with this ridiculous behavior from the renters and the landlord. There also hasn't been a lease signed. So I'm considering not paying rent since there is no signed agreement as to when and how much to pay. Does anyone know for sure what I can do and what would be done by police, without posing as a lawyer when actually not knowing anything about the laws? Thanks in advance. Signed,
Pissed the %^*# off
Do unto others as they do unto you.. Make a ruckus at three in the morning and see how they like it..... Lol
UGH

United States

#3 Oct 9, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>Do unto others as they do unto you.. Make a ruckus at three in the morning and see how they like it..... Lol
I actually turned my surround sound up with a skipping cd playing while I was gone all day the day after their move-in. I know it was childish, but my gosh.. So is what they've said and done. You all have NO idea what we're dealing with!! I don't call the police for anything, so when I do, it's bad. And I'm debating on doing so. We actually have good jobs and are up by 7am to go to work. And can't sleep bc of their ruckus. She sits on her butt all day and her man works at a bar. They have no common courtesy. And I've confronted them multiple times very nicely. Some people shouldn't be allowed to co-exist with society.
So what

Evansville, IN

#4 Oct 9, 2012
Move or quit crying !
true story

Elkton, KY

#5 Oct 9, 2012
UGH wrote:
<quoted text>I actually turned my surround sound up with a skipping cd playing while I was gone all day the day after their move-in. I know it was childish, but my gosh.. So is what they've said and done. You all have NO idea what we're dealing with!! I don't call the police for anything, so when I do, it's bad. And I'm debating on doing so. We actually have good jobs and are up by 7am to go to work. And can't sleep bc of their ruckus. She sits on her butt all day and her man works at a bar. They have no common courtesy. And I've confronted them multiple times very nicely. Some people shouldn't be allowed to co-exist with society.
give them a break. They are moving in. Maybe they work 2nd shift and call only move at 2 am. Chill out a give them a few before you freak out.
Biggens

United States

#6 Oct 10, 2012
UGH wrote:
I was just wondering what can/will be done about excessive noise in a duplex. Does anyone know? The landlord/tenant act for KY plainly states that the landlord has the duty to ensure 'quiet enjoyment' is attainable by both renting parties. Well, these neighbors jumped my a$$ for being upset bc they were moving in at 2am and woke my children up. The landlord then had the audacity to call me cursing, saying that I need to learn how to deal with people and noise, and that people can't live around my schedule. I am under the impression that there indeed IS a noise ordinance as of 10pm. At this moment their kid is jumping back and forth across the floor over there and is keeping my family from sleeping. Although it's not quite 10 I am asking because it'll continue until 11 or later. I cannot live here any longer with this ridiculous behavior from the renters and the landlord. There also hasn't been a lease signed. So I'm considering not paying rent since there is no signed agreement as to when and how much to pay. Does anyone know for sure what I can do and what would be done by police, without posing as a lawyer when actually not knowing anything about the laws? Thanks in advance. Signed,
Pissed the %^*# off
I own several apartments and I don't put up with Noise and unruly renters. I would first make sure I tried my best to talk to the aldults in the apt nicely. If that doesn't work again try to explain you issues to you landlord. If nothing works then and only then, I would suggest that you make a formal complaint to to police dept. so that a record of all their problems are documented. Then keep making complaint to the police so that each time there is a problem a record is made. The police are use to handling this stuff.
well

Uniontown, KY

#7 Oct 10, 2012
I agree with Biggens. Make just one complaint and it should alleviate the problem. Nobody wants the police knocking on their door. Also, if you have no lease, then it is considered a month to month agreement which means at the end of the month you can be evicted for no reason at all. I would keep that in mind while stirring the pot. You need to have a place on the back burner for if that happens. I completely understand your frustration. It is NOT normal to move at 2am regardless of your work hours and if the landlord took their back instead of yours that sounds fishy to me. I would think his/her loyalty should be to the tenant he has had the longest.
Theonlyone

United States

#8 Oct 11, 2012
I rent from addicus jones. My neighbors were noisey, when I called him to complain he came right over and put their shit in the Street...... Then he ass raped me. I swear I will never bitch about unruley neighbors again. Never'
wtfh

United States

#9 Oct 12, 2012
Theonlyone wrote:
I rent from addicus jones. My neighbors were noisey, when I called him to complain he came right over and put their shit in the Street...... Then he ass raped me. I swear I will never bitch about unruley neighbors again. Never'
Ummmm ok?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Henderson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
C.B pregnant by marko??? 2 min No way 3
reitz 62 hendo 14 29 min Anonymous 13
Allison and Ted's baby 1 hr stay informed 2
sabrina basham (Jan '13) 1 hr Hsac 12
And again 2 hr Sally Mac 34
betty jean matthews patterson 2 hr wow 11
How is child support calculated if only one par... (Aug '12) 3 hr agreed 85
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Henderson Mortgages