Hempstead High School, riots, fights,...

Hempstead High School, riots, fights, race

There are 110 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 20, 2008, titled Hempstead High School, riots, fights, race. In it, Newsday reports that:

For the second consecutive school day, Hempstead High School dismissed students early yesterday because of fighting that spiraled out of control.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Sickand Tired

AOL

#65 Mar 11, 2010
What is this school system waiting for? its time to put the learning back in school, weed out all the bad seeds ( remember reform school ) This type of violence is gone way too far in todays everybody wants to be a "gangsta" kids. Its time to take back our schools and neighborhood and get rid of the trouble makers and stop blaming the
''product of there enviorment excuse" They are the enviorment and the product starts at home.
Sickand Tired

AOL

#66 Mar 11, 2010
Melissa wrote:
I think all these News Day people need to Hop off. If there is a riot in Garden City they wouldn't go there. The only place these News people go to is Hempstead. To all white people who are hating go start a riot in your school. We'll See what happens!
You talk with a very one sided tounge, not to be a racist but are your eyes that blind to all the black crime everyday everyday , why dont you educate yourself before you lash out ...thats the problem, blame the white guy for all of the black problems.
John Gottis Corpse

New York, NY

#67 Mar 11, 2010
Sickand Tired wrote:
What is this school system waiting for? its time to put the learning back in school, weed out all the bad seeds ( remember reform school ) This type of violence is gone way too far in todays everybody wants to be a "gangsta" kids. Its time to take back our schools and neighborhood and get rid of the trouble makers and stop blaming the
''product of there enviorment excuse" They are the enviorment and the product starts at home.
So long as the parents and the leaders in communities like Hempstead sit silent and point the finger of blame outside of their own communities, the employees of the schools, like Hempstead High School, will continue to do exactly what they've been doing now for 30 years; pandering to the lowest denominator and doing the least they need to do in order to keep their jobs. These are kids here, so, for the most part they don't care about their actions or any potential ramifications (which I doubt there are any and that's why what went down went down in the first place). The teachers, administrators and the school board have for years refused to do what needed to be done and that's to enforce and administer discipline; beginning in the grammar schools. And last, but not least, the parents simply don't care either. They "raise" these kids with no regard for their own parents, neighbors, siblings, community, etc...
John Gottis Corpse

New York, NY

#68 Mar 11, 2010
Sickand Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk with a very one sided tounge, not to be a racist but are your eyes that blind to all the black crime everyday everyday , why dont you educate yourself before you lash out ...thats the problem, blame the white guy for all of the black problems.
In her mind, if Newsday would keep their nose out of the minority communities then their wouldn't be any crime.
Kayla Simone

San Mateo, CA

#69 Mar 11, 2010
I blame the parents!!
Prince Charming

Charlotte, NC

#70 Mar 11, 2010
It's 2010, when do you think we will see an imrovement in the black community?
Prince Charming

Charlotte, NC

#71 Mar 11, 2010
Improvement
Balto

Oakdale, NY

#72 Mar 11, 2010
There are some good ones but in New York most ape things run around without a father and just do their time until they're old enough to go to prison.

Dead/Prison remarks most heard from the baby mamas and 34-year-old grandmothers on the dole:

"He be a good boy!"

"He be turning his life around!"

"He be just 19 and a good father of five!"
nysfinest

Dallas, TX

#73 Mar 11, 2010
A PROUD AMERICAN wrote:
ANIMALS.......... LIKE THE GODFATHER ONCE SAID..... AND I QUOTE...
" THERE ANIMALS ANYWAY"
and that makes you ignorant
Balto

Oakdale, NY

#74 Mar 11, 2010
Nobody beyond the age of 5 is ever going to give the black race congratulations for anything.

Violence, crime, no fathers, no effort to get off the "gubmint", hustling in the street, riding bikes as a young pack to rob you a la Uniondale and Roosevelt.

Fantstic Folks as we know them on Long Island.
Prince Charming

Charlotte, NC

#75 Mar 12, 2010
A PROUD AMERICAN wrote:
ANIMALS.......... LIKE THE GODFATHER ONCE SAID..... AND I QUOTE...
" THERE ANIMALS ANYWAY"

and that makes you ignorant

nysfinest...why not answer my question instead of using the only word the black community knows "ignorant"?

I never hear them use the word "responsible", "accountable' "restraint" or "conservative"
Cousar

Oakland Gardens, NY

#76 Mar 12, 2010
Stop posting these negative posts about our children. We had the same problem when I was in Hempstead High, except for it started from the Middle School and Thank God they aint shooting.
You folks from out of town got some nerve after all the killing and massacres going on in your schools. Hempstead Public Schools can handle this to the best of their ability, and we need to support the faculty, unless you want to become a teacher or an administrator and deal with it. you don't even have a degree. Well then Shut-Up!
Young Black Female

New York, NY

#77 Mar 12, 2010
This is crazy! What is going on here is probably what happened at the school and started the whole fight. All I see is bickering, name calling, and generalizing. You all must be really bored. What's worse are the responses to the worthless racist posts that just fuel the fire. The arguments some of you are having have nothing to do with what is going on. How are the President and Darfur relevant to what happened at Hempstead High School?

Honestly, I am from NJ and heard about what news anchors are calling, "brawls," that broke out on Monday and today. I was curious of what exactly happened. I will leave here without my answer it seems...

I've never been to Hempstead HS, and I don't know the students there. However I do know that an argument relating a few parts to account for the whole is INVALID.

For all those at Hempstead High School I pray that what ever the situation is, that it gets resolved. To teachers and students I pray for your safety, and strength to continue to be present at school. For the parents I pray that God gives you the strength to continue to support your children in going to school in spite of what's happening. I know it would be tempting to just have the students stay home, but that will just invite more destruction. Finally, for all the commentators whose comments were less than helpful; God knows your heart. He knows what you think is true and what you wrote to be made a joke. I pray that anything negative that was said does not lead to more violence. I pray that God continues to spread his knowledge, understanding, and wisdom upon all of us so we can understand each other better and realize we are the same race-human.

Hempstead High School will go on to be an institution of education.
God Bless.
Young Black Female

New York, NY

#78 Mar 12, 2010
Moderator, may I ask why my post was deleted?
TRUTH

United States

#79 Mar 12, 2010
Balto wrote:
There are some good ones but in New York most ape things run around without a father and just do their time until they're old enough to go to prison.
Dead/Prison remarks most heard from the baby mamas and 34-year-old grandmothers on the dole:
"He be a good boy!"
"He be turning his life around!"
"He be just 19 and a good father of five!"
I, FIND IT ABSOLUTELY AMAZING THAT YOU STAND IN JUDGEMENT OF THOSE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. YOU SHOW YOUR LEVEL OF IMMATURITY AND IGNORANCE WITH THE NAME CALLING AND STEREOTYPICAL BEHAVIOR. THE ''TRUTH'' OF THE MATTER IS, THAT MANY OF ''YOUR'' PEOPLE DON'T OPENLY HAVE ISSUES BECAUSE YOU'RE MASTERS OF DECEPTION AND HIDING. MANY OF YOU ABORT YOUR CHILDREN,PLACE THEM IN DUMPSTERS AND A CREATE A MULTITUDE OF OTHER WAYS TO GET RID OF YOUR CHILDREN AND THEN STAND AND POINT FINGERS. WHY NOT EXCERCISE YOUR MIND TO HELP CREATE SOLUTIONS AS OPPOSED TO THROWING ROCKS AND HIDING YOUR HANDS? REMEMBER, WHEN YOU POINT AN ACCUSING FINGER AT SOMEONE ELSE, THERE ARE 3 POINTING BACK AT YOU.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

#80 Mar 13, 2010
Young Black Female wrote:
This is crazy! What is going on here is probably what happened at the school and started the whole fight. All I see is bickering, name calling, and generalizing. You all must be really bored. What's worse are the responses to the worthless racist posts that just fuel the fire. The arguments some of you are having have nothing to do with what is going on. How are the President and Darfur relevant to what happened at Hempstead High School?
Honestly, I am from NJ and heard about what news anchors are calling, "brawls," that broke out on Monday and today. I was curious of what exactly happened. I will leave here without my answer it seems...
I've never been to Hempstead HS, and I don't know the students there. However I do know that an argument relating a few parts to account for the whole is INVALID.
For all those at Hempstead High School I pray that what ever the situation is, that it gets resolved. To teachers and students I pray for your safety, and strength to continue to be present at school. For the parents I pray that God gives you the strength to continue to support your children in going to school in spite of what's happening. I know it would be tempting to just have the students stay home, but that will just invite more destruction. Finally, for all the commentators whose comments were less than helpful; God knows your heart. He knows what you think is true and what you wrote to be made a joke. I pray that anything negative that was said does not lead to more violence. I pray that God continues to spread his knowledge, understanding, and wisdom upon all of us so we can understand each other better and realize we are the same race-human.
Hempstead High School will go on to be an institution of education.
God Bless.
Thereís really no problem at Hempstead High School. Riots, violence and fights are a regular occurrence that happen on a daily basis. The local media only have the time to cover one incident per week. This weekís fighting was amongst the black and between blacks and Hispanics.
The village of Hempstead and Itís school district have had problems for decades. The bulk of the crime is drugs and violence. Without interjecting my opinion which you might perceive to be racist, Iíll only tell you very little about both so you can come to your own conclusion. The school district is 569th of 665. The annual budget is almost $151M per year which is more than double the expense of some of the better schools in Nassau County.

Population of Hempstead:
∑ Black or African American - 52%
∑ Central American:- 15%
∑ West Indian (excluding Hispanic groups)- 12%
∑ Salvadoran - 11%
∑ Other Hispanic or Latino - 10%
∑ Jamaican - 6%
∑ Haitian - 3%
∑ Italian - 3%
∑ Irish - 3%
∑ Honduran - 3%
∑ Subsaharan African - 3%
∑ Puerto Rican - 2%
∑ German - 2%
∑ African - 2%
∑ South American - 2%
∑ Dominican Republic - 2%
∑ Polish - 1%
∑ Spanish - 1%
∑ Trinidadian and Tobagonian - 1%
∑ English - 1%
∑ Guyanese - 1%
∑ Mexican - 1%
∑ West Indian - 1%
∑ Guatemalan - 1%
∑ Asian Indian - 1%
∑ Ecuadorian - 1%
∑ Colombian - 1%
∑ Russian - 1%
∑ American Indian tribes, specified - 1%
∑ Other Central American - 1%

Feel free to draw your own conclusions. I personally feel itís the fault of those damn Irish kids. Well, they may have had help from the Germans and Polish, But there are more Irish.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

#81 Mar 13, 2010
TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
I, FIND IT ABSOLUTELY AMAZING THAT YOU STAND IN JUDGEMENT OF THOSE YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. YOU SHOW YOUR LEVEL OF IMMATURITY AND IGNORANCE WITH THE NAME CALLING AND STEREOTYPICAL BEHAVIOR. THE ''TRUTH'' OF THE MATTER IS, THAT MANY OF ''YOUR'' PEOPLE DON'T OPENLY HAVE ISSUES BECAUSE YOU'RE MASTERS OF DECEPTION AND HIDING. MANY OF YOU ABORT YOUR CHILDREN,PLACE THEM IN DUMPSTERS AND A CREATE A MULTITUDE OF OTHER WAYS TO GET RID OF YOUR CHILDREN AND THEN STAND AND POINT FINGERS. WHY NOT EXCERCISE YOUR MIND TO HELP CREATE SOLUTIONS AS OPPOSED TO THROWING ROCKS AND HIDING YOUR HANDS? REMEMBER, WHEN YOU POINT AN ACCUSING FINGER AT SOMEONE ELSE, THERE ARE 3 POINTING BACK AT YOU.
Try turning off your capslock.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

#82 Mar 13, 2010
Young Black Female, they did it again.

Hempstead High closes early after week's 2nd disruption

Just days after a brawl at Hempstead High School led to eight students' arrests, administrators abruptly ended the school day early Friday after another disturbance broke out, according to police and students.

In Friday's incident, Hempstead police - whose officers were already at the school because of the Monday fight - said no injuries were reported, but two students were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, Lt. Vincent Montera said late Friday afternoon.

The student body was let out early in staggered dismissals. Montera said Friday's disturbance appeared unrelated to Monday's.

Shortly after the Friday disturbance, school officials met to discuss how to deal with the ongoing disorder.

Hempstead Superintendent Patricia Watkins said school officials would be seeking help from community leaders and parents in the days and weeks ahead.

"This issue is one that needs to be owned by all of us," she said.

Parents who picked up their students said they were upset their kids' education had once again been disrupted by the tensions.

"What's going to happen? This is too much," said Nancy Mendoza, 44, as she stood with her daughter, 14-year-old freshman Samantha Mendoza, who had been on a sixth-period lunchbreak when the quarrel broke out.

Nancy Mendoza said the disturbances have left her questioning whether her family should have moved here.

"I should have stayed in Queens," she said, adding that such regular fights were unheard of at their former school in the borough.

On Saturday, administrators and Mayor Wayne Hall are set for a 1 p.m. public meeting at the high school about the situation.

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#83 Mar 13, 2010
Cousar wrote:
Stop posting these negative posts about our children. We had the same problem when I was in Hempstead High, except for it started from the Middle School and Thank God they aint shooting.
You folks from out of town got some nerve after all the killing and massacres going on in your schools. Hempstead Public Schools can handle this to the best of their ability, and we need to support the faculty, unless you want to become a teacher or an administrator and deal with it. you don't even have a degree. Well then Shut-Up!
When your children learn how to behave themselves, we'll stop with the negative posts.

Deal?
Long Island Gal

White Plains, NY

#84 Mar 13, 2010
Melissa wrote:
I think all these News Day people need to Hop off. If there is a riot in Garden City they wouldn't go there. The only place these News people go to is Hempstead. To all white people who are hating go start a riot in your school. We'll See what happens!
UM....IF there WERE a riot in Garden City, the news WOULD go there. That's the way it works. Problem is, the riots are happening in Hempstead. IF the good people in Hempstead (brentwood, central islip....etc) REALLY wanted to improve their community, THEY would take action and work WITH the police. We all know what will happend when the cops crack down on the scum in these communities. Their mommys and girlfriends and friends will say, "He is not a bad boy. He was turning his life around. The cops are racist".....etc.....etc.. .... It's time for the GOOD people in these communities to TAKE ACTION and work with the cops and schools and start ENFORCING RULES for these punks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hempstead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 18 hr Bruser 2,823
Review: Floral Park Dental Care - Michael Lang DDS (Sep '09) Dec 12 Whokneadsyou 40
News Peter King calls Michael Jackson 'child molester' (Jul '09) Dec 10 Spotted Wee 7,376
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Dec 9 Liz 63
Dick and Dora's (Nov '09) Dec 8 Val in Az 71
News Hempstead town hit with racketeering lawsuit (Aug '07) Nov 30 Dan 85
News 2 teens arrested in arson at Herricks High Scho... (Apr '08) Oct '17 Cate0913 63

Hempstead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hempstead Mortgages