City of Hemet is in a MESS!!

Posted in the Hemet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Who is to blame

Ontario, CA

#1 Dec 10, 2008
Today at the city council meeting, the council decided to not vote on layoffs until other cost-cutting measures could be looked at. This is a great choice, however the police chief was in a hurry to lay off some police officers. The leader of the force was selling out his lower ranking officers to protect his administrative staff. Now that the council has changed, maybe it is time to change our departmental heads also!!
Hemet Cop

Glendale, CA

#2 Dec 10, 2008
Interesting.... I was there and that's not the message I got. The Chief made it clear that no matter who is left after the City Council makes the cuts we will continue to provide superior service. In regards to the administrative staff I think that the entire structure is going to change if we lose those who are on "the list" above the rank of officer. If you look at the documents in the Council Agenda you will see exactley who is affected and its not just lower ranking officers. Matter of fact the Admin staff is trying to help the officers that are getting layed off find jobs. That's unheard of! Now, lets move on the best we can and stop placing blame.
who

Anza, CA

#3 Dec 12, 2008
There was some talk of an officer saying that Police and Fire are important, and the other City departments are just "fluff". Is this true? Are we all just "fluff" here out at the Yard?
Red Light Cameras

San Jacinto, CA

#4 Dec 12, 2008
Look at the bright side...red light cameras are coming. Only another couple million to go. These should pay for the new asst city manager at least!!!!!
Plowshare

Glendale, CA

#5 Dec 12, 2008
I think the point he was trying to make was that when you have someone braking into your house, you're not going to call the library!
Plowshare

Glendale, CA

#6 Dec 12, 2008
Sorry, I meant' Breaking"
Who is to blame

Ontario, CA

#7 Dec 12, 2008
I was at the meeting and the police chief wanted to get rid of cops, not administrators...bottom line. He wanted the city council to vote to approve his lay off plan, which included a HUGE hit to the officer rank, not the people that collect over ten thousand a month and do not respond to 911 calls.
IMACOP

Valencia, CA

#8 Dec 13, 2008
The situation that we're facing is a complicated one. The Chief and his command staff have done far more than most to preserve jobs.

On the surface, the solution seems simple however, laying off any cop is never easy. Choosing between someone who has devoted the last 15-20 years vs. someone who just graduated the academy should be an easy choice. Either way, HPD loses!

I have worked for other agencies and none would have ever gone to the great lengths to preserve jobs and ensure that those laid off are employed by other agencies. That is just unheard of!!!!

Sure, from the outside it looks easy. I had some of the same concerns early on. In fact, I was pissed about the whole idea. After the plan was explained to me in detail it made sense. It's the only option we have in light of the current financial situation! Delaying the inevitable will only result in the loss of more city money.

The Chief and his staff have spent many tireless nights working out the details of this issue. They proposed a tax measure that would have prevented lay offs, but it failed to get the votes. They have had to live with the potential of officers being laid off during the Holidays. In light of that, they have reduced the numbers of officers being affected and helped to ensure the continued safety of our community and our citizens.

As a rank and file Hemet Police officer, I stand behind the decisions of our admin. At the end of the day, WE stand ready to serve the city and its citizens. This issue will not divide us, nor will it affect the way we pursue justice!
U want a promotion

United States

#9 Dec 15, 2008
Wow, IMACOP, with your blind faith in the decisions of your administration, maybe they will promote you to another position that is not needed in your department and pay you over $10,000 a month!
IMACOP

Glendale, CA

#10 Dec 16, 2008
If you knew anything about the situation, you would realize that promotions are out the window for at least a few years. Besides, I'm not really interested in pushing a desk around. I admire and respect the people who are doing what they can to save jobs, not the idiots sitting on the sidelines making wise cracks.
Hemet

Oxnard, CA

#11 Dec 16, 2008
Hemet police dept. could always blow some more money on purchasing another Dodge Charger for all those high speed chases on Florida Avenue. That should clean things up!
IMACOP

Valencia, CA

#12 Dec 16, 2008
You are obviously misinformed. You might want to do some research on the funds used to purchase that vehicle.

That's the problem with this world...People such as yourself opening their mouths before knowing the facts. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about!

It's seems to me that you have some personal beef with Hemet PD and are bitter about it. Rather than make educated arguments, you resport to baseless attacks.
nomar

Castaic, CA

#13 Dec 17, 2008
it doesnt matter where the funds came from. what matters is how the money was spent. a new dodge charger doesnt exactly make me feel any safer.
nomar

Castaic, CA

#14 Dec 17, 2008
i doesnt matter where the funds came from. what matters is how it was spent. were talking public safety here. a new dodge charger doesnt exactly make me feel any safer.
who

Anza, CA

#15 Dec 20, 2008
What if that Charger chased down someone who did some wrong to you? To me, it doesn't matter if it's a Charger or a Crown Vic. Guess what? They both cost about the same! I was surprised too. The Charger is a bit faster off the line, but the Vic catches up really well. Either way, criminals lose, and the public wins. Until we have a Lamborghini or Ferrari (or, God forbid, a Camaro or Corvette) chase car, it's the best we can do. Sometimes you need to have more "whatever" than the criminal element has. Fact of life.......
Charger

San Jacinto, CA

#16 Dec 20, 2008
Wait till someone bottoms it out or hits a curb at a moderate speed. It is not a unibody chasis like the Crown Victoria....the entire frame will tweak and cost you a fortune to repair. Before IMACOP attacks me for not knowing what I am talking about...I do know as it has happened to me.
G thang

Oxnard, CA

#17 Dec 20, 2008
Charger wrote:
Wait till someone bottoms it out or hits a curb at a moderate speed. It is not a unibody chasis like the Crown Victoria....the entire frame will tweak and cost you a fortune to repair. Before IMACOP attacks me for not knowing what I am talking about...I do know as it has happened to me.
I donít think that the command at HPD knows that. The General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard tv show lasted for seven seasons and 145 episodes. And it has come back to reappear in a Hollywood movie. But youíre right, if we really do see Hemetís Charger performing any pit maneuvers theyíll have some costly repairs.

The Plymouth and AMC vehicles from the Adam-12 tv show were probably inferior to the Ford CVPI. At least the characters from the tv show read arrestees their Miranda rights; funny, Hemet cops havenít picked up on that concept from the tv show. They tend to just unleash the K-9 and shoot you.
kathleen

Oxnard, CA

#18 Dec 20, 2008
IMACOP wrote:
The situation that we're facing is a complicated one. The Chief and his command staff have done far more than most to preserve jobs.
On the surface, the solution seems simple however, laying off any cop is never easy. Choosing between someone who has devoted the last 15-20 years vs. someone who just graduated the academy should be an easy choice. Either way, HPD loses!
I have worked for other agencies and none would have ever gone to the great lengths to preserve jobs and ensure that those laid off are employed by other agencies. That is just unheard of!!!!
Sure, from the outside it looks easy. I had some of the same concerns early on. In fact, I was pissed about the whole idea. After the plan was explained to me in detail it made sense. It's the only option we have in light of the current financial situation! Delaying the inevitable will only result in the loss of more city money.
The Chief and his staff have spent many tireless nights working out the details of this issue. They proposed a tax measure that would have prevented lay offs, but it failed to get the votes. They have had to live with the potential of officers being laid off during the Holidays. In light of that, they have reduced the numbers of officers being affected and helped to ensure the continued safety of our community and our citizens.
As a rank and file Hemet Police officer, I stand behind the decisions of our admin. At the end of the day, WE stand ready to serve the city and its citizens. This issue will not divide us, nor will it affect the way we pursue justice!
I agree with you that it is hard to cut staff, especially the great police force Hemet has BUT paying anyone such a high overpriced salary like the chief gets is extremely hard for the general public to except, especially when so many Hemet residents are losing their jobs and their homes. If I was the chief I would stand up tall and say "you know something, I will take $80,000.00 a year so I can keep at least one cop from being laid-off". But then again has anyone of us ever heard an admistrators ever say that?
Certainly NOT the CEO's of corporate America.
Stay safe out there and hey, if you see me speeding, turn your head ok?
Merry Christmas
Who is to blame

Ontario, CA

#19 Dec 20, 2008
The chief does not want to give up a dime from his pocket. He wants to cut the police officer that is going to respond to my house when I call 911. In the end, I do not care how many bosses there are, I just want a gun and badge to show up when I call. If the response for this to happen is affected and the bosses are still going home at 5 o'clock, I will have someone's head on a platter!
Idea

San Jacinto, CA

#20 Dec 21, 2008
Chief Dana has about 40 years of service to various agencies and could retire today and be maxed out. How about he retire and then become a volunteer and work the next year or two for free (or a $1)? That would save 2 officer positions and he could still be the chief (which his ego loves). That would be leadership.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hemet eye care center on Morton place FRAUD (Mar '11) 15 hr miss debbie12 47
Albertsons in Hemet (Sep '07) Sat amanda castro 18
News HEMET: Information, not cash, for panhandlers (Feb '12) Apr 24 Chris 18
Abandoned Insane Asylum In Hemet.... (Jun '09) Apr 23 Flora 69
Lou Pittam's Store (Apr '10) Apr 21 Iremember 6
HemetHEMET: Water future murky Apr 21 Badskpr 1
Netflix Apr 20 Cassierae 1
More from around the web

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE