what keeps hemet from going bankrupt?

Posted in the Hemet Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gale

Moreno Valley, CA

#1 Sep 9, 2012
Who brings the most revenue into Hemet? Since Hemet is considered a retirement area, the majority of our citizens must be seniors and they come in all shades of color and ethnic back ground.
But because of the never ending increased cost of living and the elimination of two incomes down to only one due to the death of one spouse. It would be safe to say that most senior citizens are on a low fixed income and in a lower tax bracket which means they donít pay a lot of taxes.
Then you have the unemployed, people on welfare, disability and then you have illegal aliens that are sucking up any assistance they can get.
The local businesses pay their fair share of taxes and any other expenses to the city. But since the economy is in the toilet, those businesses usually close.
So where does the revenue come from to keep the city of Hemet running?
Maybe if traffic laws were enforced, it would help bring in some revenue.
ann

Pacific Palisades, CA

#2 Sep 9, 2012
Gale wrote:
Who brings the most revenue into Hemet? Since Hemet is considered a retirement area, the majority of our citizens must be seniors and they come in all shades of color and ethnic back ground.
But because of the never ending increased cost of living and the elimination of two incomes down to only one due to the death of one spouse. It would be safe to say that most senior citizens are on a low fixed income and in a lower tax bracket which means they don’t pay a lot of taxes.
Then you have the unemployed, people on welfare, disability and then you have illegal aliens that are sucking up any assistance they can get.
The local businesses pay their fair share of taxes and any other expenses to the city. But since the economy is in the toilet, those businesses usually close.
So where does the revenue come from to keep the city of Hemet running?
Maybe if traffic laws were enforced, it would help bring in some revenue.
Hemet is no longer a retirement community
DDD

Moreno Valley, CA

#3 Sep 9, 2012
Thatís a good question and I too would be interested in learning how Hemet pays their employees salary. And how much long can it continue.
Hemet can no longer be called a retirement community.
Because just before the economy took a dive big new family homes were built and younger families did move into the area.
Rob Whitey

Sun City, CA

#4 Sep 10, 2012
Unlike Morreno Valley, Temecula, Perris, ect....Hemet failed to secure any industrial buisness's during this last housing boom and the one before it in the 90's. Stuffing as many houses per acre as they can get away with (most with no Mello Roos, therefor creating another overhead for the city to be burdened with). Hemet choose to fill it's spaces with retail buisness's that have and did fail in a rough econemy. When times are tough no-one spends any money. On top of that, the majority of the money from hemet is spent in the surrounding cities that have attracted more desirable buisness's/restraunts/retail stores and people.
Hemet survives by grants, goverment handouts, state handouts, county handouts. By promises to house what other cities/counties do not want in their backyard.
Hemet is staying above water by paper only. It's just a matter of time before their not able to hide it anymore from the public and will have to come clean publicly.

Robb

Perris, CA

#5 Sep 10, 2012
Does this mean that the state is dropping off undesirables after their release from prison? If you check out Meganís Law, you will find that there are many registered sex offenders in the area. Why are these criminals coming to Hemet?
Hemet needs to attract businesses other than 99₵ stores.
We have two department stores at the mall, Sears and Pennyís.
They both look like a ghost store. We are forced to spend our money out side of Hemet so how can we support our local retailers?
We have city officials finding jobs in other cities, theyíre like rats jumping from a sinking ship.
We need immediate change in the structure of Hemetís future, we need to have someone who really wants to make Hemet a city instead of a town.
Rob Whitey

Sun City, CA

#6 Sep 11, 2012
Another $120,000 comming from the general fund to pay for some police system upgrades just so the system can be upgraded again.
JustSayin

Yucaipa, CA

#7 Sep 11, 2012
Unlike the above mentioned cities, Hemet does not have easy access to a freeway. Skyline, Aljo etc. were the only large lite industry we had. Now they're dead. Deutsch is still here, don't know how they are doing. If you look at Megan's Law in any city you will be surprised. I think they should just round them up and keep them in one place. One on every other block is to much saturation for me. Speaking of jobs, I think if you don't live here you shouldn't get the job. The high paying school district jobs, are going to people who don't live in the Valley. Ever wonder as you're leaving the Valley in the morning and pass people coming into town, "Who and where are all these people going?" They're going to work someplace.
Rob Whitey

Sun City, CA

#8 Sep 12, 2012


Actually, although Hemet is located further away from the freeways compared to MV, PV, Tem, it does have very good access to the freeways without obstruction. This, the open space to construct an industrial park, and the low overhead compared to the other cities is ideal. IMO, the city of Hemet fails in it's ability to attract and maintain such businesses/companies. It has had a number of opportunities come across its table in the past, but due to it's inability to negotiate properly lost the interest of these businesses/companies.

As far as employment. I have a friend (I'll keep him unnamed) who owns a business. He had a help wanted ad in the paper for just an average job, checker/box boy (forgot) paying $10/hr. How many local residents do you think applied in the four weeks the job was open? NONE, serious, NO-ONE.
$10/hr. is an insult when your making more off the state. Which is what a lot in Hemet are doing.
Justified

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Sep 12, 2012
Hemet, Florida Avenue used to be known as the richest highway in the US. WHY? Because of the retirees...people assume that when people retired here, they had no money. NO people who retired here HAD money and LOTS of it. MY ex laws moved to Hemet in the 70's and banks were begging for their business...they would give all kinds of freebies. IF you look back on the businesses in Hemet in the 70's and 80's, so high dollar top stores and businesses were here. PROBLEM is the city did NOTHING to keep encouraging those type of businesses to come here. Hemet ruined itself, there is no turning back ... and the scum that live here now, will just move on, saying to much crime here and will take their crime a$$es somehwere.
Rob Whitey

Sun City, CA

#10 Sep 12, 2012
Justified wrote:
Hemet, Florida Avenue used to be known as the richest highway in the US. WHY? Because of the retirees...people assume that when people retired here, they had no money. NO people who retired here HAD money and LOTS of it. MY ex laws moved to Hemet in the 70's and banks were begging for their business...they would give all kinds of freebies. IF you look back on the businesses in Hemet in the 70's and 80's, so high dollar top stores and businesses were here. PROBLEM is the city did NOTHING to keep encouraging those type of businesses to come here. Hemet ruined itself, there is no turning back ... and the scum that live here now, will just move on, saying to much crime here and will take their crime a$$es somehwere.
Well said.

That is my point in this paragraph:
IMO, the city of Hemet fails in it's ability to attract and maintain such businesses/companies. It has had a number of opportunities come across its table in the past, but due to it's inability to negotiate properly lost the interest of these businesses/companies.
Allen Parks

Hemet, CA

#11 Oct 16, 2012
Hemet is still rich. Florida avenue is bustling with beauties from los angeles
Taxpayer

Hemet, CA

#12 Oct 19, 2012
Gale wrote:
Maybe if traffic laws were enforced, it would help bring in some revenue.
How clueless can you be, Gale?

The traffic laws most definitely ARE being enforced -- and with extra ferocity -- against the otherwise law-abiding, tax-paying residents of Hemet (and San Jacinto.) Heaven forbid you're such a person and make the slightest driving infraction. They will throw the proverbial book at you, typically resulting in hundreds of dollars of revenue to the government via fines, processing/"court" fees etc. While MASSIVE numbers of illegal aliens who lack drivers licenses and regisrtaions drive illegally (and, often enough) dangerously under the influence) the police will be on you like white on rice should you be white and engage in the most minor of infractions.
I respect the cop on the beat. It's the higher-ups in their department, and in government, who are bleeding the generally law-abiding population dry to whom I shout, "Shame on you!"
HemetNow

Hemet, CA

#13 Oct 19, 2012
Rob Whitey wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said.
That is my point in this paragraph:
IMO, the city of Hemet fails in it's ability to attract and maintain such businesses/companies. It has had a number of opportunities come across its table in the past, but due to it's inability to negotiate properly lost the interest of these businesses/companies.
You really do sound like a key employee of one of those companies which may have considered coming to Hemet but which (unlike Walmart) wasn't able to squeeze enough concessions out of the city.

What is it that are you seeking? Hemet's very own Iddo Benzeevi, another mysterious foreigner with deep pockets to buy up the Hemet government? Do we really need warehouses twice the size of Disneyland? factories that each employ hundreds of tax-sucking illegals? Want hundreds of humongous tractor-trailer trucks heading up and down the very few road connections that Hemet residents have with the 60/91 freeways? Want all that additional air pollution? If people think the disgusting whores walking Florida Avenue are bad, just wait until Hemet is Moreno Valley-ized and hundreds of out-of-state truckers start parking in the city's outskirts at night.
Tax Payer is paranoid

Murrieta, CA

#14 Oct 19, 2012
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
How clueless can you be, Gale?
The traffic laws most definitely ARE being enforced -- and with extra ferocity -- against the otherwise law-abiding, tax-paying residents of Hemet (and San Jacinto.) Heaven forbid you're such a person and make the slightest driving infraction. They will throw the proverbial book at you, typically resulting in hundreds of dollars of revenue to the government via fines, processing/"court" fees etc. While MASSIVE numbers of illegal aliens who lack drivers licenses and regisrtaions drive illegally (and, often enough) dangerously under the influence) the police will be on you like white on rice should you be white and engage in the most minor of infractions.
I respect the cop on the beat. It's the higher-ups in their department, and in government, who are bleeding the generally law-abiding population dry to whom I shout, "Shame on you!"
No Taxpayer the real question is how clueless are you. Hemet PD has one traffic officer working in a city of 80,000 people compliments of budget cuts. Sounds like you are one of the few who got a well deserved ticket. How exactly are the "higher ups" bleeding the law abiding public?
thomas jefferson

Hemet, CA

#15 Dec 16, 2012
we have a really strong economy here, if you don't believe me, go to Staters on the first of the month. That place is FLOODED with people buyin stuff!
Pretty _Poison

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Dec 17, 2012
HemetNow wrote:
<quoted text>
You really do sound like a key employee of one of those companies which may have considered coming to Hemet but which (unlike Walmart) wasn't able to squeeze enough concessions out of the city.
What is it that are you seeking? Hemet's very own Iddo Benzeevi, another mysterious foreigner with deep pockets to buy up the Hemet government? Do we really need warehouses twice the size of Disneyland? factories that each employ hundreds of tax-sucking illegals? Want hundreds of humongous tractor-trailer trucks heading up and down the very few road connections that Hemet residents have with the 60/91 freeways? Want all that additional air pollution? If people think the disgusting whores walking Florida Avenue are bad, just wait until Hemet is Moreno Valley-ized and hundreds of out-of-state truckers start parking in the city's outskirts at night.
Uhhhhhh we have that now ...obviously you have not driven down Stetson and seen all those 18 wheelers in a row down that street. Two months ago, I actually counted 28 of them parked there. Plus Hemet already has Moreno people living here...where do you think all the black people have come from? No one is asking for a "all white community" BUT we are asking for MORE up scale stores to choose from, we are asking for these tweakers, sex offenders, and Sect 8 people to go and find some where else to roost.

We want to be able to have a safe neighborhood to walk our dog, a safe place to have our children play out front, and get to know their neighbors . I do not even have a clue about my neighbors... never see them.
ThinkAboutit

Sun City, CA

#17 Dec 18, 2012
HemetNow wrote:
<quoted text>
You really do sound like a key employee of one of those companies which may have considered coming to Hemet but which (unlike Walmart) wasn't able to squeeze enough concessions out of the city.
What is it that are you seeking? Hemet's very own Iddo Benzeevi, another mysterious foreigner with deep pockets to buy up the Hemet government? Do we really need warehouses twice the size of Disneyland? factories that each employ hundreds of tax-sucking illegals? Want hundreds of humongous tractor-trailer trucks heading up and down the very few road connections that Hemet residents have with the 60/91 freeways? Want all that additional air pollution? If people think the disgusting whores walking Florida Avenue are bad, just wait until Hemet is Moreno Valley-ized and hundreds of out-of-state truckers start parking in the city's outskirts at night.
Ok, I have no affiliation with any companies. I'm just a resident of Hemet for the last 30 years. I've seen the valley start to grow in the right direction and I've seen it run down the shit road that it's on now. So, what's your solution for income? More section 8, more low income housing, more retail stores, more promises to house the counties/states crap for a one time fat check from the county/state only to be squandered on crap the city doesn't need or even see? What?
There is no infrastructure to produce revenue for the city other than retail business and handouts. The number of residents coming into this city that fail to contribute to the overhead to keep it up and respectable have out numbered the ones paying taxes. Do you shop in Hemet for everything? My guess would be no. The surrounding cities lay claim to your hard earned cash. Anyone with a car shops out of town. Unless they want a check chased, some rolling papers, or a taco.
The trucks parked off of Stetson bother you that much? I've never had a problem getting around Hemet because of the trucks. What's your point? You should be more concerned on why we need a full sized RTA driving thru Hemet with only maybe one person riding. Why not the short bus?
Whatís the solution? Can we go backwards to how it was? What are we going to do, kick out all the shit we let in here? Good luck with that. They already have a foothold. Not only that the city is obligated to fulfill their commitment to that one time pay out. Itís a crappy situation our elected leaders got this city into.

George

Marina Del Rey, CA

#18 Apr 19, 2013
Without upscale shopping Hemet will remain a dead community. Thanks, Hemet politicos who transformed this former world class city into the garbage dump we see 24-7. No wonder no thinking person does any serious shopping here. We take our dollars to caring communities where we find loads of upscale stores. Want to know what an upscale shopping center is? Drive to Roseville California Westfield Mall where I had the privilege to shop the past few days. NO COMPARISON WITH THE ROSEVILLE CALIFORNIA MALL AND THE HEMET MALL. ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10 ROSEVILLE IS A 10, AND THERE IS NO ROOM ON THE SCALE ANYWHERE FOR THE HEMET MALLO., UNLESS YOU CAN RATE THE MET MALL A MINUS 10. HAVEN'T SHOPPED THERE IN YEARS. A TEAM OF WILD HORSES COULDN'T DRAG ME THERE ANYMORE NOW THAT THE CITY SAW DECIDED WE ARE BETTER WITH YET MORE LIQUOR STORES, PAYDAY LOANS, DOLLAR STORES. KEEP IT UP HEMET. YOU ARE NOT EVEN IN THE GAME ANYMORE. NOBODY CARES.
Yo brotha

Murrieta, CA

#19 Apr 19, 2013
Meth sales and prostitution
my momma on florida

Hemet, CA

#20 Apr 19, 2013
YO BRO WORD UP. MY MAMMY WORKS FLORIDA EVERY NIGHT AND MAKES A DEPOSIT TO CITY HALL AND THAT KEEPS THE CITY AFLOAT.
WE FROM COMPTON, WE BAD WE HEMET-WIDE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corruption with Riverside county CPS 5 hr SAD BUT TRUE 11
How come all Hemet sex offenders addresses aren... (Dec '08) Thu lARRY mILLER9626 12
Review: R G Deck Coatings Inc Thu Annonymous 1
San Jacinto Woman Accused of Stabbing Boyfriend... Dec 24 lupita garcia 1
One of Two Suspects Arrested in Jack-in-the-Box... Dec 23 Amazed 12
San JacintoUnlock parks, San Jacinto residents say Dec 22 SJskin 1
Water main Break Shadow Mountain Way Dec 22 hemetone 2

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hemet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hemet

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:21 am PST