Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201809 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Easy There Now

Livermore, CA

#228351 Jan 23, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop stalking me weirdo! You've been stalking and bullying me for over two years. It's CREEPY.
Stop lying and stop stalking me you slimy cowardly bully ! If we met in person you'd be pissing your pants and whining like the liar that you are because you're a coward ! Still waiting for your proof liar but then we all know you for what you are,a consummate off topic liar who can't prove shyte mainly because you lie ! Still waiting big mouth,waiting for your proof ! Reported for stalking ! And stop lying about you being in combat you dishonor real vets liar ! The closest you came to combat was a whore house in Bangkok ! Now call your sponsor PDQ,you need to get back in alcohol treatment it didn't work the first time ! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
garbonzo

Long Beach, CA

#228352 Jan 23, 2014
rabnew wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...thanks. I changed it because everyone thought I was a guy.
Dafuq?? U a trannie?
George Gobal

Coweta, OK

#228353 Jan 24, 2014
So if it's okay for a man to marry another man based upon sexual appetite, what are you going to do about a man that's bisexual? Shouldn't he be able to marry another man and a woman to satisfy his sexual appetite? I mean, after all, it only make sense. I'm all for bisexual marriages and it should be the law of the land. There is a slight problem and that's if a bisexual marries another bisexual. If that happens, then you end up with a bisexual man marrying another bisexual man and you can have two other men and two women involved which means you end up with 6 people all married together. Or how about a bisexual man marrying a bisexual woman and the bisexual man also has a man as his wife and the bisexual woman has another woman as her husband. This really gets complicated, but it's only fair to consider all these possibilities and make allowances for each and every situation.
Let's hear it for bisexual marriages!
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#228356 Jan 24, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were no other laws against polygamy but prop 8 was still in effect would polygamy be legal Miss thing? No? Why not? Because prop 8 would prevent it.
Leave it to you to try and hog all the victim-hood! Typical "me me me" attitude.
But there ARE other laws against polygamy. It was illegal BEFORE Prop 8 and it is illegal AFTER Prop 8. Obviously Prop 8 had no effect on polygamy.

Embrace reality and not your crazy "what if" bullshit.
Jake

Los Angeles, CA

#228357 Jan 24, 2014
George Gobal wrote:
So if it's okay for a man to marry another man based upon sexual appetite, what are you going to do about a man that's bisexual? Shouldn't he be able to marry another man and a woman to satisfy his sexual appetite? I mean, after all, it only make sense. I'm all for bisexual marriages and it should be the law of the land. There is a slight problem and that's if a bisexual marries another bisexual. If that happens, then you end up with a bisexual man marrying another bisexual man and you can have two other men and two women involved which means you end up with 6 people all married together. Or how about a bisexual man marrying a bisexual woman and the bisexual man also has a man as his wife and the bisexual woman has another woman as her husband. This really gets complicated, but it's only fair to consider all these possibilities and make allowances for each and every situation.
Let's hear it for bisexual marriages!
This is all getting way too crazy. Lets just keep it at a man and a woman. All this crazy talk is caused by the odd couple invasion, it only causes caous, bad idea
George Gobal

Coweta, OK

#228358 Jan 24, 2014
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
This is all getting way too crazy. Lets just keep it at a man and a woman. All this crazy talk is caused by the odd couple invasion, it only causes caous, bad idea
Okay Jake, so you want to exclude us Bi's from loving each other. You're just a Bi-ophobic and want to discriminate against us that want to spread our love to our bisexual lovers. Oh sure, it's okay with you to let straights and fags get married, but let us Bi's suggest that we'd like to be included in the wedded bliss of love and suddenly you want to keep us out. What about the brother and sister lovers that want to get married? You want to discriminate against them too?! Or how about the mothers and sons or fathers and daughters that want to get married?

I can see this whole marriage thing is wrong. Maybe no one should be allowed to get married. Maybe that's the answer. Only single people should be allowed.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228359 Jan 24, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
But there ARE other laws against polygamy. It was illegal BEFORE Prop 8 and it is illegal AFTER Prop 8. Obviously Prop 8 had no effect on polygamy.
Embrace reality and not your crazy "what if" bullshit.
Does a law that defines marriage as "ONE man, ONE woman only" allow polygamy?

No. It doesn't. It's a simple concept really, it's good you asked for help though! Remember! There are no stupid posts. Only stupid posters like yourself.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228360 Jan 24, 2014
George Gobal wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Jake, so you want to exclude us Bi's from loving each other. You're just a Bi-ophobic and want to discriminate against us that want to spread our love to our bisexual lovers. Oh sure, it's okay with you to let straights and fags get married, but let us Bi's suggest that we'd like to be included in the wedded bliss of love and suddenly you want to keep us out. What about the brother and sister lovers that want to get married? You want to discriminate against them too?! Or how about the mothers and sons or fathers and daughters that want to get married?
I can see this whole marriage thing is wrong. Maybe no one should be allowed to get married. Maybe that's the answer. Only single people should be allowed.
I like your idea of limiting marriage to single people.
Jake

Los Angeles, CA

#228361 Jan 24, 2014
George Gobal wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Jake, so you want to exclude us Bi's from loving each other. You're just a Bi-ophobic and want to discriminate against us that want to spread our love to our bisexual lovers. Oh sure, it's okay with you to let straights and fags get married, but let us Bi's suggest that we'd like to be included in the wedded bliss of love and suddenly you want to keep us out. What about the brother and sister lovers that want to get married? You want to discriminate against them too?! Or how about the mothers and sons or fathers and daughters that want to get married?
I can see this whole marriage thing is wrong. Maybe no one should be allowed to get married. Maybe that's the answer. Only single people should be allowed.
How about the world just wait until you make up your mind as to who really want to be with. LMAO until then we'll just have to deal with on odd couple at a time. Why ruin a good thing by getting married there is not benefit in it for anyone.
Shaky Jake

Covina, CA

#228362 Jan 24, 2014
Shaky Jakes back?

What an original concept?
Xavier Breath

Brooklyn, NY

#228363 Jan 24, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Does a law that defines marriage as "ONE man, ONE woman only" allow polygamy?
No. It doesn't. It's a simple concept really, it's good you asked for help though! Remember! There are no stupid posts. Only stupid posters like yourself.
Was polygamy allowed when that law went into effect? No, because it was already illegal. Prop 8 stopped gay couples from marrying. It changed nothing about polygamy. Polygamy was illegal BEFORE/AFTER Prop 8. And don't try that ridiculous "IF" there were no other laws excuse.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228364 Jan 24, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Was polygamy allowed when that law went into effect? No, because it was already illegal. Prop 8 stopped gay couples from marrying. It changed nothing about polygamy. Polygamy was illegal BEFORE/AFTER Prop 8. And don't try that ridiculous "IF" there were no other laws excuse.
Miss Thing, a law that defines marriage as "ONE man and ONE woman ONLY" bans polygamy. How silly you get to argue otherwise!

The people who brought you prop 8 had polygamy in mind when they put the "ONE" in it.
How can you argue otherwise? Why do you argue otherwise? What a dope! You get so silly.
Shaky Jake

Covina, CA

#228366 Jan 24, 2014
Shaky Jake where have you been?

#228364
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228367 Jan 24, 2014
Easy There Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying and stop stalking me you slimy cowardly bully ! If we met in person you'd be pissing your pants and whining like the liar that you are because you're a coward ! Still waiting for your proof liar but then we all know you for what you are,a consummate off topic liar who can't prove shyte mainly because you lie ! Still waiting big mouth,waiting for your proof ! Reported for stalking ! And stop lying about you being in combat you dishonor real vets liar ! The closest you came to combat was a whore house in Bangkok ! Now call your sponsor PDQ,you need to get back in alcohol treatment it didn't work the first time ! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Aw shuddup Bill you silly jackass! Get back to what you do best- rigging the judge-its! Good if you are gay, bad if you are straight. Except for your own posts which you rate good even though you are straight.~rolling eyes~

YUK!YUK!YUK!~Whoop!~Whoop! Ah good times! Old SniffButt Billy!$3 Bill! TOO FUNNY!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOL!!!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228368 Jan 24, 2014
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Was polygamy allowed when that law went into effect? No, because it was already illegal. Prop 8 stopped gay couples from marrying. It changed nothing about polygamy. Polygamy was illegal BEFORE/AFTER Prop 8. And don't try that ridiculous "IF" there were no other laws excuse.
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality, by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jethá, is gaining a lot of mainstream attention and has edged onto the New York Times bestseller list. It explains, in breezy language and massive detail, the reason why humans the world over are failures at monogamy. It also examines the roots of human nature in other key regards.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#228369 Jan 24, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
They're paranoid and close minded thinking polygamy is just a plot against SSM, they forget these are good people seeking marriage equality just like them.
Polygamy is marriage. It is not a plot against SSM, how self centered they are!
I do not see polygamy as a threat against gay marriage in anyway either. Maybe one of them will struggle with coming up with an answer?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#228370 Jan 24, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Prop 8 was simple. It defined marriage as ONE man and ONE woman. Banning BOTH polygamy and SSM EQUALLY. What don't you understand about ONE man ONE woman banning polygamy? It's a simple concept really.
It sure seems simple enough. You make perfect sense. If only one man can marry one woman then one man can't marry two women and one man can't marry a man. Why would anyone use the judgeits against you like that? Would they judge you if you said today was January 24th?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#228371 Jan 24, 2014
Poof wrote:
<quoted text>Did Prop 8 adress Polygamy specifically ?
You are making a distinction that does not exist.

Poof: Can I wear a red shirt?

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: No, I want to know if I can wear a red one.

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: Just tell me, can I wear Red?

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: Damn it, answer the question.

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: All I want to know is can I wear a red colored shirt, yes or not.

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: You could have answered yes or no.

ALAN: OK yes.

Poof: OK now, can I wear a blue colored shirt?

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: you just don't answer questions do you .Tell me is blue OK?

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

Poof: But I want to know if I can wear blue.

ALAN: You can wear any color you want.

etc.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#228372 Jan 24, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
YES. They had polygamy in mind when they defined marriage as ONE man, ONE woman. How can you say they didn't? They would have said "men and women" if they didn't have polygamy in mind.
Your argument that ONE man ONE woman has nothing to do with polygamy is absurd.
Absurd! Exactly. They specifically had polygamy in mind.

Here is some fear mongering from some Baptists:

Redefining marriage to include same-sex couples would jettison the rationale and logic behind prohibitions on polygamous marriages, according to several friend-of-the court briefs urging the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold the traditional definition of marriage.

"Ultimately, there is no principled basis for recognizing a legality of same-sex marriage without simultaneously providing a basis for the legality of consensual polygamy or certain adult incestuous relationships," reads one of the briefs, filed by the Christian legal group Liberty Counsel. "In fact, every argument for same-sex marriage is an argument for them as well."

Over the next three days, Baptist Press will preview some of the legal arguments made by supporters of traditional marriage ahead of Tuesday's and Wednesday's oral arguments. On those days the court will consider the constitutionality of two laws: California's Proposition 8 and a section of the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). Prop 8 is a state constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman in California, while the DOMA section in question defines marriage in federal law in the traditional sense. If both are overturned, then gay marriage likely would be legalized in all 50 states.

A friend-of-the-court brief signed by 18 state attorneys general also briefly warns about the potential legalization of polygamy if gay marriage is legalized. The brief -- which supports Prop 8 -- says the traditional definition of marriage is tied to the fact that only a man and woman can reproduce, thus continuing society's very existence. The state has an interest, the brief says, to see that children are raised, ideally, by the mother and father who beget them. A mother and father in each home is "optimal for children and society at large."

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/if-ga... #
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#228373 Jan 24, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
It sure seems simple enough. You make perfect sense. If only one man can marry one woman then one man can't marry two women and one man can't marry a man. Why would anyone use the judgeits against you like that? Would they judge you if you said today was January 24th?
Nice weather we're having!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Many Vacant Buildings In Hemet? (Aug '10) 14 hr ed4christ 28
Zipline Express CarWash Memorial Day Savings! 19 hr Zipline Express C... 1
HELP STOP UNJUST PERSECUTIONS of TAXPAYERS over... Sat Un agenda 21 and ... 22
Can white people call themselves African American? (Sep '12) May 21 Facepalmnative 104
FUBU Clothing Company is Racist (Oct '12) May 18 left them in the ... 48
hemet is heaven (Mar '10) May 17 uknowwho 20
Earthquake? Did anyone feel that? May 15 kuntakinte 8
More from around the web

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]