Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,828)

Showing posts 176,541 - 176,560 of200,315
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in the process of writing a small dissertation in response to what I have come to consider a so-called Christian "drive-by". You know what I'm talking about... Those one or two, cherry-picked pieces of scripture that you guys lob at gays as "proof positive" that Christ disapproves of homosexuality.
But I'll try to keep it brief...
1.) Paul was a fallible man.
2.) He was raised a Jew. He was brought up in the ancient Jewish traditions. He had been heavily influenced throughout his life; believing that the way to worship God was through the strict adherence to the 613 commandments handed down by God. He was considered to be a somewhat ruthless Rabi prior to his conversion.
3.) I believe that even though he converted to following Christ, he never made the full transition to living a life without following extremely structured laws. He had a new set of laws. But laws and commandments were always important to him.
4.) Paul's letter to the religious leaders in the city of Corinth was in response to a letter they had sent to him. They needed "clarification". They wanted specifics on how to correctly follow Christ's teachings. And Paul, with his long history of being reliant upon laws and commandments, gave them exactly what he thought they needed.
5.) At no point in his letters to anyone do I believe Paul thought, "I'm writing this letter with the knowledge that they will one day be included in a collection of stories and letters that Christians will entitled,'The Books of the New Testament'."
These letters were written to specific people to address specific issues. I'm not sure what Paul's letters would have looked like had he known that one day an INCREDIBLE amount of importance would be placed on them.
It's very important to keep this in context.
6.) The world that Paul lived in is very different than the world that we live in. During that time, there was there was no scientific or medical understanding of chemical dependency.
Given what we know now--that some people are born with a gene that predisposes them to alcoholism--it is unlikely that God would refuse them entrance to Heaven because of their medical problem.
The same is true with homosexuality. We now know that homosexuality is not a disorder. It is not a choice and is therefore biologically based.
This is not to say that homosexuality and chemical dependence can be compared to one another. Obviously, someone who is chemically dependent has difficulty functioning either in their personal life or within society.
Homosexuality DOES NOT impair people the way that chemical dependency does.
My point is that we live in a different world--a different time--with different understandings about these and other issues than those who lived in ancient Greece.
5.) Final point... God didn't stop speaking to people when the final book of the New Testament was canonized. As I've shared before, He spoke to me about my being gay. He has spoken to many other gay Christians.
Regardless of what early Christian leaders may have said on the subject, we know--through our faith in Christ and belief in God--that we're living the life that God gave to us.
----------
Now, I'm sure you have all kinds of responses to my post. That's fine. Go right ahead and attempt to argue, convert, explain, etc. But you're not going to move me. And you're not going to move others.
I would appreciate it if you stopped lobbing scripture at me and others as though you know how God will judge us when we stand before Him.
You don't know. No one knows. So just drop it.
So much for brevity...
Too wordy. Switch to decaf.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Gustavo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too long and boring, so please STFU
You tell him Gustavo you silly jackass!
China Wall

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

July 2013

Communist China has a very big problem right now, supply and return formula in economics 101.

China doesn’t know how to slow down that it’s a runaway economy that falls over if it stops moving forward.

A wall of their own making is about to stop them but the ripple effects will be felt around the world when it does!

It will be called the China Depression not recession but a full blown world wide depression.

July 2013
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in the process of writing a small dissertation in response to what I have come to consider a so-called Christian "drive-by". You know what I'm talking about... Those one or two, cherry-picked pieces of scripture that you guys lob at gays as "proof positive" that Christ disapproves of homosexuality.
But I'll try to keep it brief...
1.) Paul was a fallible man.
2.) He was raised a Jew. He was brought up in the ancient Jewish traditions. He had been heavily influenced throughout his life; believing that the way to worship God was through the strict adherence to the 613 commandments handed down by God. He was considered to be a somewhat ruthless Rabi prior to his conversion.
3.) I believe that even though he converted to following Christ, he never made the full transition to living a life without following extremely structured laws. He had a new set of laws. But laws and commandments were always important to him.
4.) Paul's letter to the religious leaders in the city of Corinth was in response to a letter they had sent to him. They needed "clarification". They wanted specifics on how to correctly follow Christ's teachings. And Paul, with his long history of being reliant upon laws and commandments, gave them exactly what he thought they needed.
5.) At no point in his letters to anyone do I believe Paul thought, "I'm writing this letter with the knowledge that they will one day be included in a collection of stories and letters that Christians will entitled,'The Books of the New Testament'."
These letters were written to specific people to address specific issues. I'm not sure what Paul's letters would have looked like had he known that one day an INCREDIBLE amount of importance would be placed on them.
It's very important to keep this in context.
6.) The world that Paul lived in is very different than the world that we live in. During that time, there was there was no scientific or medical understanding of chemical dependency.
Given what we know now--that some people are born with a gene that predisposes them to alcoholism--it is unlikely that God would refuse them entrance to Heaven because of their medical problem.
The same is true with homosexuality. We now know that homosexuality is not a disorder. It is not a choice and is therefore biologically based.
This is not to say that homosexuality and chemical dependence can be compared to one another. Obviously, someone who is chemically dependent has difficulty functioning either in their personal life or within society.
Homosexuality DOES NOT impair people the way that chemical dependency does.
My point is that we live in a different world--a different time--with different understandings about these and other issues than those who lived in ancient Greece.
5.) Final point... God didn't stop speaking to people when the final book of the New Testament was canonized. As I've shared before, He spoke to me about my being gay. He has spoken to many other gay Christians.
Regardless of what early Christian leaders may have said on the subject, we know--through our faith in Christ and belief in God--that we're living the life that God gave to us.
----------
Now, I'm sure you have all kinds of responses to my post. That's fine. Go right ahead and attempt to argue, convert, explain, etc. But you're not going to move me. And you're not going to move others.
I would appreciate it if you stopped lobbing scripture at me and others as though you know how God will judge us when we stand before Him.
You don't know. No one knows. So just drop it.
So much for brevity...
Way too long. Switch to decaf.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the claim that scripture didn't instruct us in judging sin. I simply used one of many passages that prove otherwise.
I am fully aware that as a reprobate you disparage the Bible. Your views are classic heresy.
So you live by some passages and totally ignore others, seems to me you are a reprobate that disparages your own bible and your view is heresy, as you ignore the bible also.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you live by some passages and totally ignore others, seems to me you are a reprobate that disparages your own bible and your view is heresy, as you ignore the bible also.
Run that by us again? He's a reprobate that disparages the bible and ignores it also?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had a brain, you'd realize it was VV who denied verses. I simply answered his challenge and proved him wrong.

You once again exposed your ignorant bigotry.
Worst businesses

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Worst businesses in America NOW other than the Chinese run or ruined businesses:

1.) Bank of America

2.) Com-Cast

3.) Dish Network

4.) Citigroup/ Citi Bank

5.) Wells Fargo

6.) AT&T

7.) Discovery Finances

8.) Direct TV

9.) Time Warner Cable

10.) American Express
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had a brain, you'd realize it was VV who denied verses. I simply answered his challenge and proved him wrong.
"Gay Christian GOOD! Straight Christian BAD!" Big D 12:3
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you even had half a brain you would realize that everything you are saying to others, applies to what you are saying.

You are calling yourself a reprobate, you are guilty of the same level of ignoring that he is, that you are everything bad that you claim he is. That you are guilty of the same level of heresy that you claim he is.
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Gustavo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too long and boring, so please STFU
Too short and boring, so please STFU too.
Mikey

Chatsworth, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Gay Christian GOOD! Straight Christian BAD!" Big D 12:3
Another little antagonistic 'jab' from the ignorant, bored game playing astroll..Yawn..
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>Too short and boring, so please STFU too.
Good one Mikey!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you even had half a brain you would realize that everything you are saying to others, applies to what you are saying.
You are calling yourself a reprobate, you are guilty of the same level of ignoring that he is, that you are everything bad that you claim he is. That you are guilty of the same level of heresy that you claim he is.
Whoa whoa whoa, easy now, slow down. "and if you even had half a brain you would realize that everything you are saying to others, applies to what you are saying."

Run that by us again? Everything he is saying applies to what he is saying?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Another little antagonistic 'jab' from the ignorant, bored game playing astroll..Yawn..
>fart<

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. Big d's double standard validates the assessment.

Your false brush off only exposes your bias.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Seems like every post that the atheist post can easily be explained. Maybe before posting your silly verses here and there and between, research it and find the meaning so you won't look so foolish.
The meaning is dependent upon the reader and what they want to hear. Once one understands that, it becomes people like you, that think they have the "true" meaning, that look foolish.

Here, this is what you all look like to us.
https://twitter.com/S_A_J_I/status/1100400874...

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the claim that scripture didn't instruct us in judging sin. I simply used one of many passages that prove otherwise.
I am fully aware that as a reprobate you disparage the Bible. Your views are classic heresy.
You cannot see the forest for the trees. I guarantee that my early struggles with my orientation and eventual coming to terms with being a gay Christian leaves me in a better position than you to determine how I should live.

I didn't just give myself over to being a gay man without any thought at all. I studied. I prayed. I sought counsel. And at the end of the day, it's my life and my relationship with God that is most important to me.

You know that old saying, "When you are a hammer, everything you see is a nail"? Well, "When you are a pastor, everything you see is a Bible verse". It's the only tool that you can tangibly grasp. So you run to it every single time.

"Heresy" is just another boogeyman, scare tactic that you and others use to try to "convert". You have your dogma and you insist that others follow it lest they be cast into the fiery depths of hell.

Stop trying to scare people into following Christ. That wasn't His way. That wasn't why He died.

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>You briefly mentioned they have opinions but omitted what they are. They hate Christians.
Demonstrate this "hatred" of people.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
When they bring up religion or the fake rev brings up how Christians believe in a fairy tale, WHY don't you stand up for what you believe in?
I see. So YOU are allowed to come to a forum that has absolutely NOTHING to do with religion and start spouting about and quoting from your bible - expressing YOUR belief system, yet no one else is supposed to be able to express THEIR belief system. Is that how you think it's supposed to work?

Sorry, that ain't gonna happen. I belief your bible is a bunch of poppycock. And my belief system is every bit as solid as yours. Sorry if you don't like that. If you don't want belief systems expressed, then don't present your own.
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus was crucified today, you would be in the crowd, shouting “Crucify Him! Crucify Him!”.
Wow. That's quite an accusation. Which post of Veryvermilion's are you basing this on? I'm very, very curious about what he said that would lead you to make such an accusation.
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
And I don't condemn anyone for being gay, that's not for me to Judge. I have no problem with it. I take a stand with Frank that rights should be given to all.
So you really just like to agitate then? Got it.

Oh, I never had the chance to say, but I found your couple posts about the Martin/Zimmerman debacle to be spot on. Just thought you should know we don't disagree on everything!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
My post stating "Nice weather today" prompted Topix to exercise their option to delete my posts?
I think your problem might be that of posting too quickly and too often.

There are glitches with TOPIX. I've learned over the years that if you begin typing a comment, if you take too much time (like if you start, then stop and come back later) your comment will not be posted.

And if you post one thing after another, after another, the system for some reason can't or doesn't process it. Your post doesn't show up.

I've had to post the same thing several times to get it to show up.

Just a suggestion...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 176,541 - 176,560 of200,315
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Hemet Forum right now

Search the Hemet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Vacationing family loses thousands in bicycle t... 1 hr Your Bling Finder 4
Hemet Kmart! (May '13) 6 hr Chris 29
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 12 hr Sparky A2 7,833
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 12 hr Ronald 2,251
Cops and Courts: July 22, 2014: Fair Avenue flo... 21 hr ANON 1
kim 23 hr Mad 3
HOMELAND: Torched car under investigation Mon DMW 1
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Riverside County was issued at July 22 at 1:54PM PDT

•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••