Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
174,521 - 174,540 of 200,361 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that they want to downgrade God, to a "Micro-Manager", like when the athletes thank God for giving them a victory....He's got nothing better to do....
It always makes me laugh when 3 people survive something like a tornado out of hundreds dead, and they thank some God, it is like they are saying this "God" murdered everyone else personally, but decided not to kill them.

Not a pretty picture

Or when a medical student goes into deep debt working his way through medical school, rises to the top of his profession and saves the life of someone through heroic efforts of medicine and the family thanks some "God"

It is like a way of avoiding reality, or responsibility, or any way of expressing gratitude to the efforts of actual people.

It is pathetic

Since: May 12

Canoga Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It always makes me laugh when 3 people survive something like a tornado out of hundreds dead, and they thank some God, it is like they are saying this "God" murdered everyone else personally, but decided not to kill them.
Not a pretty picture
Or when a medical student goes into deep debt working his way through medical school, rises to the top of his profession and saves the life of someone through heroic efforts of medicine and the family thanks some "God"
It is like a way of avoiding reality, or responsibility, or any way of expressing gratitude to the efforts of actual people.
It is pathetic
You only say that because god told you too. ;)
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a pretty picture
It is pathetic
Believing in a higher power is not pathetic, ridiculing those who do is.
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you believe that any majority of Americans should always be able to vote away the basic civil and human rights from any minority, for no reasons other than religious belief and animus?
And that the disenfranchised minority should never be able to redress the grievance in court?
You want to completely remove the ability of the courts to address the constitutionality of any law?
Why bother to live in this country, if you don't like the systems of checks and balances our Founding Fathers created?
I do not know how much you know about history, but our "First Chief-Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court John Jay said and I quote: "The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the Word of God and teaches us the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and to regulate your life by its precepts." Providence has given to our people the choice of their rules, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation, to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.".....Our forefathers would turn over in their graves if they knew what has happened to our Nation. If we had Christians rulers, we would not be in this downfall of our Nation as we are now. God Jehovah, is our Creator and we owe Him our lives for being here in the first place and if you have a quarrel with me personally, I suggest that you are pointing to the wrong person, for you must take it to the Father God Jehovah (Jesus) Father of the universe and ask Him why he created man and woman, not man & man or woman & woman. If man and man were what he intended in the first place, where were children coming from? Would he have just Created man or woman? All that I am saying is that because mankind up until the past several years has always accepted God's defination of marriage of man & woman, why does man say now that it has to be changed to fit their lifestyles? We cannot and will not be able to fight against our Creator because whoever tries will suffer in the end. My husband and I of 55 years have studied the Scriptures most of our marriage and we believe that God is in control and we cannot change what he has already ordained. God's Word is the "SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER" and I do not care how many people out there want to change things around, it will not work in the end. Someday, non-believers or Church-goers who just go to put their time in, will have to face our Creator and tell Him why they did not accept His Only Son Yeshua (Jesus) as their personal Savior and Lord of their lives and personally, I would fear even thinking about that right now. God through His Son has left you a "Love Story" (The Bible) that will totally change your life and it is your responsibility to Study His Word and if will take the time to do this, you will be very surprized to see how your life and many others around you will change. You cannot offend me at all if that is what you think you may do because I am under God's Protection and people just do not offend me. I am under God's Word and He and Only One I look up to for He is My Father through His Sacrifice of His Only Son Jesus (Yeshua) and I will Praise Him Forever. I would suggest if you are not a Christian that you seek Him while He may be found because His Son is coming back soon and you will want to be in the First Resurrection of the dead. God Forbid if you are in the Second Resurrection because you will not have a Savior to protect you because you did not accept Him when you had a chance. There will be no more chances and because we do not know what will be tomorrow, I would make that choice now. I will be praying for all those on this site that someone out there will hear this message that the Creator is having me write you, so that you may have Jesus to protect you & will Save You until the end and then those of you who accept Jesus will have "ETERNAL LIFE." Amen & Amen
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Using an imaginary power to avoid responsibility or gratitude to actual people is pathetic, very pathetic.

Replace "Thank god" with "Thank the space aliens" for what others have done and you have the picture accurately
suzanne henderson

El Dorado Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
It would appear that the idea of Prop 8 was considered "unconstitutional", in spite of the facts , which are:
1) The very idea of marriage was not part of the intention of the Constitution.
2) The legislation of marrriage was left up the the individual states, rather than the Federal Government.
3) The Constitution provides for certain rights, and enumerates the criteria for same, not ever mentioning "sexual orientation", while mentioning "race" "creed" "religion" etc... no mention of "sexual orientation" at all.
So, it would seem that it is all a semantic manipulation game, used to overpower the citizens in their efforts to have a say in the way their society operates.
Shameful...
Thank you so very much for your reply, but at the same time I would like to suggest that if you want to reply, I would greatly appreciate it if you would use Scripture to back you up because God and only God is my Autority. He Created me and I only look up to His advice and I and my husband of 55 years continue to do so. If you would take the time to Study, not just read Scripture, but Study the Scripture, you may have a different view on this subject. Also, if you would Study our Forefathers quotes, you would be amazed at what they said. I have many of their quotes, but I will at this time only quote one of them from Joseph Story:. U.S. Surprme Court Justice; Father of American Jurisprudence, Placed on the Court by President James Madison "One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is part of the Common Law. There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying at its foundations. I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society." What is happening today is a disgrace to our Nation and Our Creator. If you are not a Christian, I would suggest that you find Him while he may be found, for after this life, there will NOT be a second chance. I will be praying for you and thank you again for your response.

Canoga Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't necessarily ridiculing those who believe. He was ridiculing those who thank their higher power for ridiculous things.

Why would god care what team wins the Super Bowl? and why thank god for killing people in a natural disaster just because you yourself survived? Why thank god for finding your car keys when there are children CHILDREN who starve to death everyday?

And why thank god for surviving a life threatening illness after receiving medical treatment? If prayer worked people would go to church when they got sick, not the hospital.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Using an imaginary power to avoid responsibility or gratitude to actual people is pathetic, very pathetic.
Replace "Thank god" with "Thank the space aliens" for what others have done and you have the picture accurately
Your need to go out of your way to constanly bring up and ridicule religion speaks volumes. What happened?
Bruno

Harbor City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm gay GOOD! You're gay BAD! I guess.
I knew you would finally admit it you homo!!... lol
Bruno

Harbor City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. I get it. I'm a troll and you are not.
Is that what you're trying to tell us bunky? Too funny.
Actually you are also gay and I'm not. lol
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are also gay and I'm not. lol
We're real proud of you fruitloops! Real proud.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that we disagree, a lot, but I have a lot of respect for you, in spite of my words.....
I have no respect for Big D. He lies. He is obsessed with religion. And he's an egomaniac.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

TrueAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't necessarily ridiculing those who believe. He was ridiculing those who thank their higher power for ridiculous things.
Why would god care what team wins the Super Bowl? and why thank god for killing people in a natural disaster just because you yourself survived? Why thank god for finding your car keys when there are children CHILDREN who starve to death everyday?
And why thank god for surviving a life threatening illness after receiving medical treatment? If prayer worked people would go to church when they got sick, not the hospital.
I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.

Canoga Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.
Sigh... obviously we're not going to see Big D's comments from the same point of view. I see it from his side. If you look more closely into these "miracles" you'll realize that prayer had nothing to do with them.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
Well, off to S. Carolina, for my weekly joy jaunt. Later, kids, play nice...
Love the BBQ there. Used to eat at a place called Carolina BBQ in Aiken. And across the river at Sconyers in Augusta. Good stuff!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your need to go out of your way to constanly bring up and ridicule religion speaks volumes. What happened?
Donít bother lying, I didnít bring it up, I was responding to others that bring it up and you donít ridicule them ( because you perceive them as on your side )
They stop bringing it up, I will stop commenting on it
Otherwise, I donít give a crap what you say
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>wow... 73% of americans are insecure and stupid.... what a shame
73% and dropping rapidly ( and I think that number is very inflated )

The fastest rising category, is no religion at all
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.
So you blame some God for every death in a disaster, I disagree.

I donít, I think people are responsible for their actions. Both good and bad, I thank Dr's for the recovery of someone, I blame people for deaths in a non-natural disaster.

I donít wimp out on responsibility or gratitude and substitute space aliens or some God or other.

I was saved from a condition that kills just about everyone I have heard of with the same condition. But it wasnít space aliens that saved me, nor any of the billions of Gods and Goddesses that man has believed in over history.

It was a team of Dr's working on a new procedure for such conditions. They have my thanks, and my wife and childrenís as well, no imagined deities involved.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>luckily the younger generation is seeing all the stupidness of their chriSTAIN parents and moving on
I made sure my children and grandchildren were not afflicted with that disease.

It is nothing but a cop out, a way to avoid responsibility or gratitude to others.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Judged:

TrueAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh... obviously we're not going to see Big D's comments from the same point of view. I see it from his side. If you look more closely into these "miracles" you'll realize that prayer had nothing to do with them.
Most of the time "Thank God" means just plain thanks felt for avoiding pain and tragedy.

When people thank God for something a person has done for them I look at it as thanking God for that person's bravery and compassion. I would take no offense if someone thanked God for something I have done. I am agnostic myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hemet Discussions

Search the Hemet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Rancho Cordova hires city manager 52 min saays who 4
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr Commander Bunny 4,897
Review: VIP Autos (Dec '13) 14 hr Guess who 2
what keeps hemet from going bankrupt? (Sep '12) 17 hr Rob Whitey 26
Hemet wife beaters 18 hr bigdave 1
Devin F you're my secret crush! Tue weird 7
Man assaults kids at McDonalds-east florida on ... (Jul '13) Tue Riverside Dave 129
•••

Excessive Heat Warning for Riverside County was issued at July 30 at 12:00PM PDT

•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE