Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,321

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#200867 Jul 8, 2013
TrueAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
He wasn't necessarily ridiculing those who believe. He was ridiculing those who thank their higher power for ridiculous things.
Why would god care what team wins the Super Bowl? and why thank god for killing people in a natural disaster just because you yourself survived? Why thank god for finding your car keys when there are children CHILDREN who starve to death everyday?
And why thank god for surviving a life threatening illness after receiving medical treatment? If prayer worked people would go to church when they got sick, not the hospital.
I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.

Since: May 12

Canoga Park, CA

#200869 Jul 8, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.
Sigh... obviously we're not going to see Big D's comments from the same point of view. I see it from his side. If you look more closely into these "miracles" you'll realize that prayer had nothing to do with them.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200870 Jul 8, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
Well, off to S. Carolina, for my weekly joy jaunt. Later, kids, play nice...
Love the BBQ there. Used to eat at a place called Carolina BBQ in Aiken. And across the river at Sconyers in Augusta. Good stuff!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200871 Jul 8, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your need to go out of your way to constanly bring up and ridicule religion speaks volumes. What happened?
Donít bother lying, I didnít bring it up, I was responding to others that bring it up and you donít ridicule them ( because you perceive them as on your side )
They stop bringing it up, I will stop commenting on it
Otherwise, I donít give a crap what you say
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200872 Jul 8, 2013
Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>wow... 73% of americans are insecure and stupid.... what a shame
73% and dropping rapidly ( and I think that number is very inflated )

The fastest rising category, is no religion at all
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200873 Jul 8, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and disagree. If you read his posts, he constantly will bash a person that believes and judge them. I too think it's silly for people thanking God for saving them while others died or what team the man upstairs is betting on. I believe God set everything in motion but also believes He does help some that are crying out for Him. I do believe in miracles.
So you blame some God for every death in a disaster, I disagree.

I donít, I think people are responsible for their actions. Both good and bad, I thank Dr's for the recovery of someone, I blame people for deaths in a non-natural disaster.

I donít wimp out on responsibility or gratitude and substitute space aliens or some God or other.

I was saved from a condition that kills just about everyone I have heard of with the same condition. But it wasnít space aliens that saved me, nor any of the billions of Gods and Goddesses that man has believed in over history.

It was a team of Dr's working on a new procedure for such conditions. They have my thanks, and my wife and childrenís as well, no imagined deities involved.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200876 Jul 8, 2013
Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
<quoted text>luckily the younger generation is seeing all the stupidness of their chriSTAIN parents and moving on
I made sure my children and grandchildren were not afflicted with that disease.

It is nothing but a cop out, a way to avoid responsibility or gratitude to others.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200877 Jul 8, 2013
TrueAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh... obviously we're not going to see Big D's comments from the same point of view. I see it from his side. If you look more closely into these "miracles" you'll realize that prayer had nothing to do with them.
Most of the time "Thank God" means just plain thanks felt for avoiding pain and tragedy.

When people thank God for something a person has done for them I look at it as thanking God for that person's bravery and compassion. I would take no offense if someone thanked God for something I have done. I am agnostic myself.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200878 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Donít bother lying, I didnít bring it up, I was responding to others that bring it up and you donít ridicule them ( because you perceive them as on your side )
They stop bringing it up, I will stop commenting on it
Otherwise, I donít give a crap what you say
Ah yes. The Big D "Liar!" straw man. Knew it was coming.

Canoga Park, CA

#200879 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I made sure my children and grandchildren were not afflicted with that disease.
It is nothing but a cop out, a way to avoid responsibility or gratitude to others.
Your children are like me then. I'm a 2nd generation Atheist, raising a 3rd generation atheist.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200880 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you blame some God for every death in a disaster, I disagree.
I donít, I think people are responsible for their actions....
Those two 16 year old girls killed in the plane crash at SFO yesterday were responsible for what actions?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200882 Jul 8, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes. The Big D "Liar!" straw man. Knew it was coming.
You are the one that said I brought it up, dont lie and I wont call you on it
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200883 Jul 8, 2013
TrueAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your children are like me then. I'm a 2nd generation Atheist, raising a 3rd generation atheist.
Very good, I donít think I could call my parents atheists, but they were certainly opposed to fundamentalists ( nut jobs )

It is interesting that my brothers and sisters are the same as myself. We donít need an easy made up pat answer for everything, We donít need "God did it" as an excuse.

I am comfortable that there are things we may not know, may not ever know, I donít need to make up a fairy tale answer for those either.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200884 Jul 8, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Those two 16 year old girls killed in the plane crash at SFO yesterday were responsible for what actions?
Well I donít think your fairy tale "God" specifically murdered them if that is what you are suggesting.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200885 Jul 8, 2013
Since Big D has once again derailed this thread onto religion (no lie!), here's how agnosticism is defined:

Agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist.

Atheists need as much faith as theists.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200886 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one that said I brought it up, dont lie and I wont call you on it
Always with the liar straw man. Who cares who brought it up?

Now you're going to try and spin it that you never bring religion up and/or go on and on about it when someone else does by calling me a liar. Priceless.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200887 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I donít think your fairy tale "God" specifically murdered them if that is what you are suggesting.
I am an agnostic. As such I believe in fairy tales less so than you do.

It takes as much faith to be sure you know that God does not exist as it does to be sure God exists. You are among the faithful. My intelligence prevents me from being as faithful as you.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#200888 Jul 8, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Since Big D has once again derailed this thread onto religion (no lie!), here's how agnosticism is defined:
Agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist.
Atheists need as much faith as theists.
again, I didnít bring it up liar, I just responded to it.

as Prop 8 is now overturned, the thread is now really moot anyway, and I donít give a crap what you say anyway.

You can believe in all the deities you want too, as long as you donít try and apply any of your private little belief rules to me or anyone else not of your belief, no problem.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#200889 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good, I donít think I could call my parents atheists, but they were certainly opposed to fundamentalists ( nut jobs )
It is interesting that my brothers and sisters are the same as myself. We donít need an easy made up pat answer for everything, We donít need "God did it" as an excuse.
I am comfortable that there are things we may not know, may not ever know, I donít need to make up a fairy tale answer for those either.
For someone who calls me a liar for saying you post often about religion, you sure post often about religion!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#200890 Jul 8, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It always makes me laugh when 3 people survive something like a tornado out of hundreds dead, and they thank some God, it is like they are saying this "God" murdered everyone else personally, but decided not to kill them.
Not a pretty picture
Or when a medical student goes into deep debt working his way through medical school, rises to the top of his profession and saves the life of someone through heroic efforts of medicine and the family thanks some "God"
It is like a way of avoiding reality, or responsibility, or any way of expressing gratitude to the efforts of actual people.
It is pathetic
Or when a president is inaugurated and he utters the words "...so help me God".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
morning sky school in mountain center ca (Mar '13) 7 hr ATTENTION 37
Hemet - The worst city to live in california 7 hr tellinitlikeitis 22
looking 7 hr tellinitlikeitis 5
Cornman (Nov '11) 7 hr tellinitlikeitis 25
dangerous sex offender 27348 Meridian st Hemet 7 hr tellinitlikeitis 3
Im curious about an area of Hemet (Nov '08) 7 hr tellinitlikeitis 82
Review: Inland Valley Janitorial And Maintenance (Jan '14) Jan 26 Debbie Ely 2

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match