Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,626)

Showing posts 172,501 - 172,520 of199,109
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
laughing man

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

NikkiShae wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that a gay man or woman should be able to marry multiple partners?
Hell, it's moot at this point. The door has been opened for you people to marry your dogs. Neil Patrick Harris can now fellate his dog on the Tony Awards with no fear of reprisal whatsoever.

Caligula is King Shit, 5 to 4.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

The Fabulous Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
You you're getting your cookies chatting with Power Gays!
Kinky!
Relax fruitcake. You spice troopers do nothing for me. Hairy sweaty butts, yuck! One less input. Not for me!
laughing man

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

well

Antioch, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You "ASSerted that I am a hater. But that's not true. I support your right to marry whoever you want. I am not a hater.
But you don't support my right to marry whoever I want, you are a hater.
Hey Frankie, I think they are looking for a new leader on the Jeffs Compound. You should apply, you would be great at it!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Lilith_Satans_Who_re wrote:
<quoted text>who cares... if some dude is crazy enough to put up with several of us hormonal biatches at once good for him
Finally some honest clarity! Good point Lil.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/56515337-2...

Polygamists and their supporters celebrated Wednesday, saying they see implications for their cause in the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act.

Just hours after the court ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional, Joe Darger said he and his family were pleased. Darger, who with his three wives detailed their life in the book "Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage," said the ruling should help remedy polygamists’ treatment as "second-class citizens."

"The government," he said, "can’t single out a single class of people for favorable or unfavorable treatment."

Darger added that he believes the decision also will influence the high-profile Brown case, which is pending in Utah before federal Judge Clark Waddoups. In that case, the polygamous Brown family — which is well known from the TV show "Sister Wives" — is suing to strike down the statute that makes bigamy a third-degree felony.

Darger speculated that Waddoups was waiting for the Supreme Court’s ruling to make a decision in the case. In light of DOMA’s demise, Darger said, he expects a favorable ruling for the Browns and practitioners of plural marriage.

"This gives Waddoups all the ammunition he needs," Darger added.

Lawyers from the Utah attorney general’s office, which is defending the state against the Browns, did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Assistant Attorney General Jerrold Jensen argued in a January hearing that polygamy should remain a criminal offense because practitioners use the word "marriage" to describe their relationships. Jensen also said polygamy is replete with examples of abuse and that every state has laws making it illegal.

Jonathan Turley, the Washington ,D.C.-based lawyer representing the Browns, said the DOMA ruling may not have significant applicability in the case, though he pointed out Justice Anthony Kennedy emphasized the "limited right of the federal government in treating couples differently once they have been recognized as married by a state."

Attorney Ken Driggs, who has studied and written about polygamy, further explained that there are two major issues facing polygamists: decriminalization of their lifestyle and legal recognition of their marriages. He said most practicing polygamists simply want decriminalization.

According to Turley, Wednesday’s decisions will have limited impact on decriminalization. Turley explained that the issue surrounding the DOMA and Proposition 8 rulings was the legal recognition of certain kinds of relationships, not criminalization.

"Our case is about the criminalization of relationships, rather than the recognition," Turley added. "What does help us is the reaffirmation of the court that these relationships are protected by due process."

Perhaps the most significant development in regards to polygamy, Turley explained, was the court’s shift away from morality as a justification of law.

"Only Justice [Antonin] Scalia and Justice [Clarence] Thomas," he said, "continued to argue in favor of morality legislation."

Driggs said that, while the rulings may be beneficial, "plural marriage is a big step beyond anything in these opinions."
LLE

Hemet, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Now all those DL guys will have a harder time finding fellatio without disrupting the lives of other married couples. You know who you are, and this community is loaded with y'all, lol.
xolo

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does someone challenging your position on dumbing down marriage to impose an impostor relationship bother you so much?
If it is right and reasonable, you could simply and clearly show it as so, instead of throwing out a 'hate' gay troll attack.
I'd be happy to engage you in a rational debate, but your opening points above are not going to make it.
Please look in the mirror. You need to address your internal issues and realize that you are really lashing out at yourself over and over again. Try to figure out why...your life will be much better once you get over what is troubling you. I hope you feel better soon! Peace.
xolo

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Sha Na Na ?
Where is the line drawn? If any consenting adult relationship can b designated "marriage" by the state, what is the point of even recognizing it at all?
That is a good question. Why is the government involved at all in relationships? I don't know the answer.
xolo

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
My argument is that polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage, dummy. As I said in the post you responded to. Duh.
You have failed.
You just failed again and do not even realize it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Lulu predicted this outcome over a year ago.

Lulu Rocks.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mob ile3/56515337-219/marriage-dar ger-polygamy-case.html.csp
Polygamists and their supporters celebrated Wednesday, saying they see implications for their cause in the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act.
Just hours after the court ruled that DOMA was unconstitutional, Joe Darger said he and his family were pleased. Darger, who with his three wives detailed their life in the book "Love Times Three: Our True Story of a Polygamous Marriage," said the ruling should help remedy polygamists’ treatment as "second-class citizens."
"The government," he said, "can’t single out a single class of people for favorable or unfavorable treatment."
Darger added that he believes the decision also will influence the high-profile Brown case, which is pending in Utah before federal Judge Clark Waddoups. In that case, the polygamous Brown family — which is well known from the TV show "Sister Wives" — is suing to strike down the statute that makes bigamy a third-degree felony.
Darger speculated that Waddoups was waiting for the Supreme Court’s ruling to make a decision in the case. In light of DOMA’s demise, Darger said, he expects a favorable ruling for the Browns and practitioners of plural marriage.
"This gives Waddoups all the ammunition he needs," Darger added.
Lawyers from the Utah attorney general’s office, which is defending the state against the Browns, did not return calls seeking comment Wednesday. Assistant Attorney General Jerrold Jensen argued in a January hearing that polygamy should remain a criminal offense because practitioners use the word "marriage" to describe their relationships. Jensen also said polygamy is replete with examples of abuse and that every state has laws making it illegal.
Jonathan Turley, the Washington ,D.C.-based lawyer representing the Browns, said the DOMA ruling may not have significant applicability in the case, though he pointed out Justice Anthony Kennedy emphasized the "limited right of the federal government in treating couples differently once they have been recognized as married by a state."
Attorney Ken Driggs, who has studied and written about polygamy, further explained that there are two major issues facing polygamists: decriminalization of their lifestyle and legal recognition of their marriages. He said most practicing polygamists simply want decriminalization.
According to Turley, Wednesday’s decisions will have limited impact on decriminalization. Turley explained that the issue surrounding the DOMA and Proposition 8 rulings was the legal recognition of certain kinds of relationships, not criminalization.
"Our case is about the criminalization of relationships, rather than the recognition," Turley added. "What does help us is the reaffirmation of the court that these relationships are protected by due process."
Perhaps the most significant development in regards to polygamy, Turley explained, was the court’s shift away from morality as a justification of law.
"Only Justice [Antonin] Scalia and Justice [Clarence] Thomas," he said, "continued to argue in favor of morality legislation."
Driggs said that, while the rulings may be beneficial, "plural marriage is a big step beyond anything in these opinions."
Give it up.

Nobody is buying that crap.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
Lulu Rocks.
Congratulations toots! You rock.

It's a day for celebration why are some of these jackasses so mad at me? Fun!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it up.
Nobody is buying that crap.
I buy it. It's not crap. Polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as SSM.
xolo

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote: Most of the gays I know are embarrASSed by gay 'pride' parades. That's what I mean by normal gays Queen.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/TH6FC2NTH...
<quoted text>
Wish all you want, I still wouldn't be available to you.
What still doesn't change is the debauchery of those parades that disqualifies gays of representing marriage or family. It only accentuates the brokenness of homosexuality.
Nor does it change the fact that ss couples will only ever be a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage.
No suspicion, just reality.
Plenty of straight people engage in debauchery. I assume that means they are not qualified to represent marriage? I assume that accentuates the brokenness of heterosexuality?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

xolo wrote:
<quoted text>
You just failed again and do not even realize it.
No I didn't. You don't make sense. Stop trying to be cute. You're not good at it.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
Lulu Rocks.
Give it up, I don't think she likes guys.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

xolo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a good question. Why is the government involved at all in relationships? I don't know the answer.
Besides being very insecure, you ask the dumbest questions....LOL...keep it up...LOL
xolo

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't. You don't make sense. Stop trying to be cute. You're not good at it.
You are not good at having a discussion, which you claim to want to have. You make no sense. You have run out of topics, other than silly little jabs. Move on. Next.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

xolo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not good at having a discussion, which you claim to want to have. You make no sense. You have run out of topics, other than silly little jabs. Move on. Next.
I'd really wish you would stop impersonating Ronald, be a man, be yourself. If you are that clueless as to what Frankie is standing up for, then you need to stay out of it. Polygamy marriage has been around long before you got married.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 172,501 - 172,520 of199,109
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Hemet Forum right now

Search the Hemet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Recall papers served on 3 Hemet council members 3 hr Hemet is good 18
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 3 hr Coal Hauler 7,327
Single men in Hemet 8 hr lee 13
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 12 hr Jean Quan 15,675
mobile home parks mismanagement, crime. (Jan '11) Tue POOHMNGR 12
Temecula: Three men arrested in connection with... Mon cuntakinte 6
Section 8 people Apr 21 Right 9
•••

Fire Weather Watch for Riverside County was issued at April 23 at 1:41PM PDT

•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••