Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,447)

Showing posts 168,921 - 168,940 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
moan and groan

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
All of them, but when they're done you'll be enlightened.
That was really really bad....

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The JUSTICE brought it up. Proponents of same-sex marriage have NEVER argued in favor of polygamy in any court cases involving same-sex marriage.
These are two, very distinct issues.
You know the idea would be harmful to your cause, so you desperately try to distance yourself.

But you also know that the dumbing down of marriage legally opens the door for a host of issues including polygamy.

All of this exposes denial, not disinterest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The standard of marriage being comprised of TWO PEOPLE is supported by Same-sex marriage advocates.
At no point in any court argument made by proponents of same-sex marriage have we asked for marriage to include more than two people. We've not asked that marriage be allowed between adults and minors, humans and animals, humans and inanimate objects, etc.
One man, one woman; one man, one man; one woman, one woman... That's what we are supporting.
It is deceitful for you to imply that same-sex marriage proponents are in favor polygamy.
The ONLY reason marriage is restricted to two people is because of children. Dumbing down marriage by eliminating procreation removes that restriction.

You deny being aware of that. Simply a lie.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, so you dislike polygamy. You don't want groups of people marrying one another.
But stop blaming the LGBT community for what "might" happen.
Did we reject civil rights because of what "might" happen? No, we passed civil rights measures because it was the right thing to do. Has it been easy? No! Have there been problems with civil rights? Yes! But you DO NOT deny people human rights simply because you are afraid of what MIGHT happen or that there MIGHT be difficulties in the transition.
SS couples have to equate before they can claim equal rights. They clearly don't.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
SS couples have to equate before they can claim equal rights. They clearly don't.
Nor do you, should we stop recognizing your marriage legally?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
The issue here is this: how does a self-consciously modern, liberal society continue to criminalize polygamy, a form of marriage that has existed throughout the world for millennia, when it has at the same time legalized a completely new form of marriage between same-sex couples?
No... The issue here is "Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage".

That is the heading on this TOPIX forum.

There is nothing in the title of this forum that has to do with polygamy.

You have continued to try to make it an issue, yet no one is biting.

We do try to redirect you to the issue at hand, but like a blind man, you keep wandering away.

No matter how hard we try to keep you on topic, you keep going back to polygamy.

To that end, I have set you up a "polygamy forum" called "Frankie wants to discuss Polygamy". You can find it here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/start-la/TJ81...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You know the idea would be harmful to your cause, so you desperately try to distance yourself.
But you also know that the dumbing down of marriage legally opens the door for a host of issues including polygamy.
All of this exposes denial, not disinterest.
The door to polygamy was opened when heterosexual couples began to marry one another. Many of you are happy to report that polygamy has been seen more commonly than same-sex marriage throughout history. So, YOU opened that door; not us.

To discuss polygamy further, please visit the new TOPIX forum created for this issue, "Frankie wants to discuss polygamy", found here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/start-la/TJ81...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
No... The issue here is "Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage".
That is the heading on this TOPIX forum.
There is nothing in the title of this forum that has to do with polygamy.
You have continued to try to make it an issue, yet no one is biting.
We do try to redirect you to the issue at hand, but like a blind man, you keep wandering away.
No matter how hard we try to keep you on topic, you keep going back to polygamy.
To that end, I have set you up a "polygamy forum" called "Frankie wants to discuss Polygamy". You can find it here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/start-la/TJ81...
The issue here is this: how does a self-consciously modern, liberal society continue to criminalize polygamy, a form of marriage that has existed throughout the world for millennia, when it has at the same time legalized a completely new form of marriage between same-sex couples?
Frankie Rizzo
Union City, CA

I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.

If heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Note the last line, the quote, it speaks volumes.

http://constitutionschool.com/2012/09/27/is-t...

As an increasing number of American citizens grow more comfortable with the notion of gay marriage (46% of Americans), more and more individuals are seeking to legally challenge the very framework of this age old institution.

In addition to the calls by many to allow people of the same sex an opportunity to be legally wed, there are growing numbers of many old-style Mormons seeking legal immunity to engage in polygamy; an illegal practice of having multiple spouses.

This past summer, Jeff Buhman, the chief prosecutor for Utah County, Utah, made a decision that went largely unreported by many in the mainstream media – a decision to no longer prosecute anyone in the county who may be guilty of this practice; Buhman also went a step further, by placing legal roadblocks for any future county attorney who may attempt to prosecute said individuals:

“[Buhman’s decision is] intended to prevent future prosecution of polygamists in Utah County for just the practice of polygamy,”

The statements are part of a motion to dismiss a challenge to the state’s bigamy law filed by Kody Brown and his four wives: Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn.

An attorney for the Brown family had the following to say:

“While I am pleased that the prosecutors are now promising to leave this family alone, the decision will not end our challenge to the state law,” said Washington, D.C.-based attorney Jonathan Turley in a blog entry posted Thursday, expressing his “great relief for the Brown family that this long-standing threat has been finally lifted.”

According to the Brown’s attorney, the state’s law banning multiple spouses violates their constitutional right to privacy and religious freedom.

The new legal trend has the potential to decriminalize a way of life for tens of thousands of self-described Mormon fundamentalists, most of whom live in Utah where bigamy is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

“If homosexuals are free to be married, then why can’t we? We have much more history on our side than they do.” stated one Mormon-fundamentalist claiming to being married to three different women.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

“If homosexuals are free to be married, then why can’t we? We have much more history on our side than they do.” stated one Mormon-fundamentalist claiming to being married to three different women.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The door to polygamy was opened when heterosexual couples began to marry one another. Many of you are happy to report that polygamy has been seen more commonly than same-sex marriage throughout history. So, YOU opened that door; not us.
To discuss polygamy further, please visit the new TOPIX forum created for this issue, "Frankie wants to discuss polygamy", found here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/start-la/TJ81...
I am sure you know this, but none of them are actually interested in the subject and have stated so, only in how they can use the subject to oppose same sex marriage.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
Note the last line, the quote, it speaks volumes.
http://constitutionschool.com/2012/09/27/is-t...
As an increasing number of American citizens grow more comfortable with the notion of gay marriage (46% of Americans), more and more individuals are seeking to legally challenge the very framework of this age old institution.
In addition to the calls by many to allow people of the same sex an opportunity to be legally wed, there are growing numbers of many old-style Mormons seeking legal immunity to engage in polygamy; an illegal practice of having multiple spouses.
This past summer, Jeff Buhman, the chief prosecutor for Utah County, Utah, made a decision that went largely unreported by many in the mainstream media – a decision to no longer prosecute anyone in the county who may be guilty of this practice; Buhman also went a step further, by placing legal roadblocks for any future county attorney who may attempt to prosecute said individuals:
“[Buhman’s decision is] intended to prevent future prosecution of polygamists in Utah County for just the practice of polygamy,”
The statements are part of a motion to dismiss a challenge to the state’s bigamy law filed by Kody Brown and his four wives: Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn.
An attorney for the Brown family had the following to say:
“While I am pleased that the prosecutors are now promising to leave this family alone, the decision will not end our challenge to the state law,” said Washington, D.C.-based attorney Jonathan Turley in a blog entry posted Thursday, expressing his “great relief for the Brown family that this long-standing threat has been finally lifted.”
According to the Brown’s attorney, the state’s law banning multiple spouses violates their constitutional right to privacy and religious freedom.
The new legal trend has the potential to decriminalize a way of life for tens of thousands of self-described Mormon fundamentalists, most of whom live in Utah where bigamy is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.
I still don't see how you can make the leap from 2 same-sex people being allowed to marry to the legalization of polygamy.

You're trying to say that by changing any aspect to marriage means that all aspects to marriage must also be allowed to change.

To say that allowing same-gender couples to marry will lead to polygamy is like saying, "If we change the age at which people can begin to vote, then we'll have to allow non-residents to vote."

Just because one aspect of marriage (or voting) changes, does not mean that the doors fly open to every other possible change.

As I've said here repeatedly, if others want to have their shot at changing the laws of marriage to include them, then they have access to the same processes that are required to have that done.

If polygamists decide to pursue having their marriages recognized by the government, they're going to have a hell of a time using any arguments that have been presented by proponents of same-sex marriage. NO case that has been argued before a judge with regards to same-sex marriage have included an argument to increase the number of spouses a person can have.

If you were an attorney arguing on behalf of polygamy, which parts of the same-sex marriage trials would you draw from to support your case?

Finally, if you want to be historically accurate, it was during the Love v. Virginia trial--the one legalizing interracial marriage--that the Attorney General for Virginia warned that "polygamy" would result, should interracial marriage be legalized.

If you want to blame anyone for the future of polygamy, blame those who argued in favor of interracial marriage.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure you know this, but none of them are actually interested in the subject and have stated so, only in how they can use the subject to oppose same sex marriage.
I realize this... It's a parlor game at this point.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize this... It's a parlor game at this point.
At this point.. a parlor game is all they have.

Did you see the news in Nevada, another state on the road to having its ban reversed.

Again I DO NOT expect a broad ruling, I expect them to "dismissed as improvidently granted" in both cases. Or at least in the Prop 8 case, DOMA they actually may remove one section, but I don’t expect they will move on the other.

I am not expecting a ground breaking ruling here, it will be a minor ruling, that will toss it back to the states. California's case means Prop 8 will be overturned as our courts have already ruled that way, or at the very worst, back on the ballot to be overturned in the next election easily.

I would rather a major ruling, but I don’t expect that at this point.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see how you can make the leap from 2 same-sex people being allowed to marry to the legalization of polygamy.
Because that is the order listed in the play book argument written in the anti-same sex marriage coloring book handed out after services at the Westborough Baptist Church

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not it's not. It's a discussion of marriage equality.
If we were discussing the primary colors would you exclude one of them, say red from being allowed to be mentioned?
Why do you attempt to do that with one form of marriage when discussing marriage?
Because the primary colors are already defined as "primary colors".

In the fight for marriage equality, only heterosexual couples can be defined as "married". Same-sex couples cannot.

Apples and oranges...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point.. a parlor game is all they have.
Did you see the news in Nevada, another state on the road to having its ban reversed.
Again I DO NOT expect a broad ruling, I expect them to "dismissed as improvidently granted" in both cases. Or at least in the Prop 8 case, DOMA they actually may remove one section, but I don’t expect they will move on the other.
I am not expecting a ground breaking ruling here, it will be a minor ruling, that will toss it back to the states. California's case means Prop 8 will be overturned as our courts have already ruled that way, or at the very worst, back on the ballot to be overturned in the next election easily.
I would rather a major ruling, but I don’t expect that at this point.
I don't expect a major ruling either. However, the momentum favoring the legalization of same-sex marriage is strong.

At this point it's a waiting game. Everyone here knows that.

It pleases some of us, while disturbing others.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oy vey.
No one wants to blame anyone for polygamy. We are simply asking why you want it to be illegal when you don't want same sex marriage to be illegal?
This question has been asked and answered ad nauseam. Come up with some new material.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't expect a major ruling either. However, the momentum favoring the legalization of same-sex marriage is strong.
At this point it's a waiting game. Everyone here knows that.
It pleases some of us, while disturbing others.
Very strong, and some of us rather naughty people ( me ) actually enjoy how much it disturbs some.

Ignorance in this day and age is a choice, and I enjoy making fun of folks that make that choice.
ChinaHackers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Once again those communist crooks in China are at it again, cut off all communications with them via the internet.

Hackers are Chinese.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 168,921 - 168,940 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hemet Discussions

Search the Hemet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 7 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 11 hr all doned in 4,864
Omg!! I can't believe my eyes so many blacks in... (May '13) 15 hr Just once 168
The Waterfalls (May '09) 16 hr hiker2 14
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
Do you approve of Jerry Franchville as Mayor? (Apr '12) Sat Becki Fire 5
Why is hemet racist ?!? Sat Becki Fire 26
•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
Hemet Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hemet Jobs

•••