Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
168,081 - 168,100 of 200,347 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
relax footloops
my reply wasn't to the subject of same sex marriage but the difference of how conservatives and liberals think
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
here is your evidence of such assertions.
Actually studies have shown that Liberals are more likely to process new data and make decisions on facts as opposed to conservatives who once they make up their mind, they are less likely to process new facts/data and change their position
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-sci ...
Analyzing the data, Sulloway said liberals were 4.9 times as likely as conservatives to show activity in the brain circuits that deal with conflicts, and 2.2 times as likely to score in the top half of the distribution for accuracy.
"Sulloway said the results could explain why President Bush demonstrated a single-minded commitment to the Iraq war and why some people perceived Sen. John F. Kerry, the liberal Massachusetts Democrat who opposed Bush in the 2004 presidential race, as a "flip-flopper" for changing his mind about the conflict.
Based on the results, he said, liberals could be expected to more readily accept new social, scientific or religious ideas.
"There is ample data from the history of science showing that social and political liberals indeed do tend to support major revolutions in science," said Sulloway, who has written about the history of science and has studied behavioral differences between conservatives and liberals."
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/09/03 ...
" Researchers also noted that Democrats had larger anterior cingulate cortexes, which are associated with tolerance to uncertainty, while Republicans had larger right amygdalas, which are associated with sensitivity to fear."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/ ...
Relax fruitloops we can post links back and forth all day long and you'd still be wrong.
The thing is any link I post you'll dismiss as lies and propaganda from "faux news" or a "right wing hate group".
I fully support marriage equality and I am wrong? You are arguing against yourself dummy. Have fun!

The bottom line is I support marriage equality and you do not. So climb down off your high angry horse spice boy. You're a hypocrite.

Hope that helps.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
there is also evidence that same sex marriage was legal in medieval Europe too
http://www.livescience.com/7344-gay-civil-uni...
http://www.randomhistory.com/history-of-gay-m...
An appeal to tradition?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.
Put bluntly, if heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
You have formed two separate questions, even though you are generally asking only one.

1.) Should monogamy socially be relevant to marriage? And the answer is "I don't know". Other cultures, currently and historically, have embraced non-monogamous marriages. Obviously it worked (works) for them.

2.) Is monogamy a VALUE for First World, industrialized countries? And the answer to that question is an almost unanimous "YES!"

For whatever reason, we in large continue to value monogamy--even gay couples value monogamy.

Maybe it's a statement about our value of a "love-based" marriage system. Whereas in polygamous marriages, there is less of a "love-based" quality, and more of a utilitarian basis.

----------

Monogamy is not necessary for social stability--as you suggest in your comment above. If that were the case, then every culture or tribe or society that has a polygamy based marital system should have failed. And they haven't.

But monogamy is what our culture values. It places great importance on one-to-one love and trust. When that love and trust is breached through adultery, then the marriage can fall apart.

But that is a luxury that we have. Women are no longer solely dependent on men. Our laws protect women (and men) from the heartache of adultery (which is, I believe, a form of attempted polygamy).

As long as our cultures continue to value monogamy--love and trust between two people--then it is highly unlikely that polygamy will gain a foothold.

Who knows... Maybe polygamy will become legal here some day.

But it won't be because gays were given the right to marry, anymore than it won't be based on the legalization of interracial marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
relax footloops
my reply wasn't to the subject of same sex marriage but the difference of how conservatives and liberals think
Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
here is your evidence of such assertions.
Actually studies have shown that Liberals are more likely to process new data and make decisions on facts as opposed to conservatives who once they make up their mind, they are less likely to process new facts/data and change their position
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-sci ...
Analyzing the data, Sulloway said liberals were 4.9 times as likely as conservatives to show activity in the brain circuits that deal with conflicts, and 2.2 times as likely to score in the top half of the distribution for accuracy.
"Sulloway said the results could explain why President Bush demonstrated a single-minded commitment to the Iraq war and why some people perceived Sen. John F. Kerry, the liberal Massachusetts Democrat who opposed Bush in the 2004 presidential race, as a "flip-flopper" for changing his mind about the conflict.
Based on the results, he said, liberals could be expected to more readily accept new social, scientific or religious ideas.
"There is ample data from the history of science showing that social and political liberals indeed do tend to support major revolutions in science," said Sulloway, who has written about the history of science and has studied behavioral differences between conservatives and liberals."
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/09/03 ...
" Researchers also noted that Democrats had larger anterior cingulate cortexes, which are associated with tolerance to uncertainty, while Republicans had larger right amygdalas, which are associated with sensitivity to fear."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/ ...
Relax fruitloops we can post links back and forth all day long and you'd still be wrong.
The thing is any link I post you'll dismiss as lies and propaganda from "faux news" or a "right wing hate group".
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcgaxs_conse...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You have formed two separate questions, even though you are generally asking only one.
1.) Should monogamy socially be relevant to marriage? And the answer is "I don't know". Other cultures, currently and historically, have embraced non-monogamous marriages. Obviously it worked (works) for them.
2.) Is monogamy a VALUE for First World, industrialized countries? And the answer to that question is an almost unanimous "YES!"
For whatever reason, we in large continue to value monogamy--even gay couples value monogamy.
Maybe it's a statement about our value of a "love-based" marriage system. Whereas in polygamous marriages, there is less of a "love-based" quality, and more of a utilitarian basis.
----------
Monogamy is not necessary for social stability--as you suggest in your comment above. If that were the case, then every culture or tribe or society that has a polygamy based marital system should have failed. And they haven't.
But monogamy is what our culture values. It places great importance on one-to-one love and trust. When that love and trust is breached through adultery, then the marriage can fall apart.
But that is a luxury that we have. Women are no longer solely dependent on men. Our laws protect women (and men) from the heartache of adultery (which is, I believe, a form of attempted polygamy).
As long as our cultures continue to value monogamy--love and trust between two people--then it is highly unlikely that polygamy will gain a foothold.
But it won't be because gays were given the right to marry, anymore than it won't be based on the legalization of interracial marriage.
You still refuse to accept the fact that I support same sex marriage. You argue as if I don't.

I am not afraid of Polygamy dummy! I support it. You don't seem to get that either.

I support true marriage equality. You do not.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>

...Monogamy is not necessary for social stability--as you suggest in your comment above. If that were the case, then every culture or tribe or society that has a polygamy based marital system should have failed. And they haven't.
Wha? If monogamy is not necessary polygamous societies would have failed? Huh?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
What harm would loving poly marriage cause you? If poly becomes legal it will be so rare you'll probably never have to be offended by the sight of a happy poly family.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
1. people often complain about homosexuals being promiscuous, allowing them to enter into marriage would bring some stability into their lives.
2. we allow heterosexuals into monogamous marriages, why not homosexuals. we are just opening up a legal commitment/contract that heterosexuals enjoy to homosexuals. a woman who lived with her married partner for decades got hit with a 400,000+ tax bill from the IRS after her partner died because the IRS (FED) doesn't recognize same sex marriages, something a heterosexual couple wouldn't face...is that fair?
we are not talking about allowing gays into polygamous marriages, just as we don't allow hetero-sexual couples either
as for the other end of slippery slopes, pedophiles, bestiality...
children can not give consent
animals can not give consent
as for marrying siblings/cousins..there are plenty of scientific reasons for that dealing with genetic defects...a case study of Russian Tsarist ruling families is a prime example of that.
Just as there are scientific studies providing justification for outlawing marriage between close relatives, there are plenty of sociological studies detailing the harmful effects of polygamous marriages, besides the legal issues concerning inheritance, property distribution etc
I support SSM dummy, you're preaching to the choir. I support marriage equality and you do not.

What harm would a loving marriage of 3 adult men cause you or anyone hypocrite? How does it feel to be arguing against marriage equality?

As far as the "too complicated" argument, is denying equal protection OK if it would be complicated to grant it? And it's not complicated, the legalities could be easily worked out.
Knee Roe

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Wherever homosexuals appear in large numbers, a society soon fails. There are no exceptions.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Karma is a_______ wrote:
<quoted text>
...Just as there are scientific studies providing justification for outlawing marriage between close relatives, there are plenty of sociological studies detailing the harmful effects of polygamous marriages, besides the legal issues concerning inheritance, property distribution etc
Modern science has debunked the myth that there are significant health problems with close relatives procreating. First cousins may marry in many states, why not siblings?

And procreation is irrelevant to marriage, right? So why can't I marry my brother?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm trying to tell you the slippery slope is REAL but no detriment to allowing same sex marriage. If you weren't so angry, you would use that information wisely.
When you dismiss a real argument as not real, and act emotionally instead of countering it intelligently and with facts, you lose all credibility.
People against SSM are not stupid like you think. They are just wary of this tremendous social change and rightly so. Convince them SSM is good, don't try to convince them that they are stupid. Never underestimate your opponents' intelligence even if it's justified.
Bravo! Well said...."....wary of this tremendous social change and rightly so....". That's just it!
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes your opinion of the particular god you choose to believe in, is one thing, other believers in that God or other Gods have different opinions.
Our nations laws are above all petty religious beliefs, you can have your opinion, but you donít get to dictate law to anyone else.
None of us do
Is it true that you have homosexual tendencies? Read it yourself, then prove it wrong! www.biblegateway.com
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Oh, you don't have to if you do not want to obey.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern science has debunked the myth that there are significant health problems with close relatives procreating. First cousins may marry in many states, why not siblings?
And procreation is irrelevant to marriage, right? So why can't I marry my brother?
If you think about it, adult same sex sibling can and have formed spousal like relationships, so why deny them the bennies?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is questioning your intelligence. We are questioning your logic.
As I pointed out to your earlier, 46 years ago a Virginia lawmaker argued in the Supreme Court that interracial marriage would lead to polygamy.
In nearly half a century it has not.
Why would we believe that same-sex marriage; an act that joins only two people together, would be the basis for joining more than two people together.
Since the Loving v. Virginia trial, I can't find one case that has been brought before any court in which a plaintiff has sued on behalf of polygamy.
Loving v. Virginia didn't bring out the polygamists and neither will same-sex marriage cases.
Again, the primary reason that polygamy WILL NOT ride the coattails of same-sex marriage is because same-sex marriage continues the definition of marriage as being between TWO people.
A single lawmaker!? Really? That was before "Sister Wives". Besides interracial marriages were nothing new in this country prior to that. Civil War era NYC, white immigrant women married black men, and surprise had mixed race babies.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
A single lawmaker!? Really? That was before "Sister Wives". Besides interracial marriages were nothing new in this country prior to that. Civil War era NYC, white immigrant women married black men, and surprise had mixed race babies.
I just don't have the energy or a thick enough skin to try to explain to these lunkheads how comparing SSM to the civil rights movement of the last century is a fallacy.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Knee Roe wrote:
Wherever homosexuals appear in large numbers, a society soon fails. There are no exceptions.
You just made that up. You can't come up with a single example of that happening. How would that ever work?

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

And still, not one rational argument against gay marriage. If you are against gay marriage, it's because of bigotry. Pure and simple.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
And still, not one rational argument against gay marriage. If you are against gay marriage, it's because of bigotry. Pure and simple.
And all bigotry comes from the Bible. We have all been influenced by it, even a few atheists carry some baggage around with them.

JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'"

JESUS: Luke 14:26, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters yes, even his own life he cannot be my disciple."

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't have the energy or a thick enough skin to try to explain to these lunkheads how comparing SSM to the civil rights movement of the last century is a fallacy.
What you fail to realize and accept is that a larger population was using dirty underhanded tricks to stop blacks from exercising their rights.

Women went through a similar thing when they wanted to be equal to their husbands and exercise their right to vote.

Now homosexuals want the government to protect their right to engage in peaceful conduct with other consenting adults.

And slavery is a Christian thing, and the Bible tells us women are as much below their husbands as the husband is below Jesus, you pew warmers are afraid you are going to lose on homosexuality as well.

Well, yes, you ARE going to lose.

After homosexuality is as accepted as blacks are accepted and women continue to vote KKKristians have nothing left to lose. Nothing, you have lost it all.

And I tell you, I am happy to be a part of hammering nails into the christian coffin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Hemet Forum right now

Search the Hemet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Now what? 2 hr apt crime 8
hemet police not doing their job 2 hr hpd great 25
is there a hobby shop in town? (Aug '11) 6 hr comic store somewhere 6
Front Yard Junk 7 hr cactus 19
western dental hiring 7 hr teeth cleaning 3
crime here out of control (Aug '09) 7 hr need more police 57
Devin F you're my secret crush! 7 hr d who 6
•••
•••