Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
167,781 - 167,800 of 200,576 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#192176 May 15, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
This is what the people voted on, not once but twice.
"Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."
Very simple.....they voted on the definition of marriage. That's it! No rights, or slavery, or majority/minority......
Why is it so controversial for society to have, recognize, privilege, marriage as a union of husband and wife? Because a minority within a sexual minority want their personal intimate same sex sexual relationship called "marriage"?
<quoted text>
It use to be against the law for people of different races to marry just because most people didn't like it. Do you think that made it right?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#192177 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
It use to be against the law for people of different races to marry just because most people didn't like it. Do you think that made it right?
Exactly, we are talking to people who do not want change, even positive change, they are stuck in the past and cannot see a brighter future, they pine for old days that they see through rose colored glasses.

But the good old days werenít all that good
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#192178 May 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I find it difficult to see the logic of defending monogamous marriage as the historic norm when the laws of many states have already departed from the principle that it is heterosexual, monogamous marriage that is essential to social stability.
Put simply, if heterosexuality is no longer legally, morally or socially relevant to marriage, why should monogamy continue to be so important?
P.S. I am posting about marriage equality which is NOT off topic like magic trees, ribs etc. that Big D harps on and on about. So hold the whining.
But heterosexuality isn't illegal, immoral, and it still is socially relevant to marriage.
It seems to me the biggest fear anti-SSM people have is that SSM is going to some how destory heterosexual marriage. Like any fear those who want to stop SSM use that fear to further thier own agenda, and get the frighten masses to have even more fear. Shame on those people
Big D

Modesto, CA

#192179 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
But heterosexuality isn't illegal, immoral, and it still is socially relevant to marriage.
It seems to me the biggest fear anti-SSM people have is that SSM is going to some how destory heterosexual marriage. Like any fear those who want to stop SSM use that fear to further thier own agenda, and get the frighten masses to have even more fear. Shame on those people
Yep

I am heterosexual, married, 18,000 same sex couples marrying in California didnít hurt my marriage at all.( shrug )
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#192180 May 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Your religious cult has no basis in US law, Same Sex marriage is a reality in the US, over 120,000 legally married same sex couples are in the us today, and 18,000 of them where married in California and legally recognized here.
Science has proven over and over that homosexuality is a common and normal occurrence in mammalian species
so far you got zip
You ass wipe. Your 120K queer folks is a drop in the bucket compared to how many normal people ther are in the U.S. quit trying to justify SSM you moron
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#192181 May 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep
I am heterosexual, married, 18,000 same sex couples marrying in California didnít hurt my marriage at all.( shrug )
You and your cult made it sound thattaking over California was going to be easy, and that by now it would be another fallen state to SSM. You too are an ass wipe like Frizzo the Querzzo
Big D

Modesto, CA

#192182 May 15, 2013
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
You and your cult made it sound thattaking over California was going to be easy, and that by now it would be another fallen state to SSM. You too are an ass wipe like Frizzo the Querzzo
And you will be one of the people folks laugh at in the future, like those that tried to stop women from voting.

If you want to know why people are leaving your churches, it is because hate does not sell as well as it used to.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#192183 May 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep
I don't think it has hurt anyone, married or not. I'm not legally married, but I've lived happily with the same woman for 20 years.
Joe Fortuna

Eureka, CA

#192184 May 15, 2013
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
You ass wipe. Your 120K queer folks is a drop in the bucket compared to how many normal people ther are in the U.S. quit trying to justify SSM you moron
Bruno, I see you still the good nature person you've always been.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192186 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to me the biggest fear that some pro SSM people have is poly marriage. Not me, I support true marriage equality. Do you?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192187 May 15, 2013
Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw shuddup Bruno you dopey third rate jackass!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192188 May 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And you will be one of the people folks laugh at in the future, like those that tried to stop women from voting.
If you want to know why people are leaving your churches, it is because hate does not sell as well as it used to.
YUK!YUK!YUK! HAR!HAR!HAR! So funny!

Woops! I forgot to wait until the future.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192189 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say heterosexuality is illegal or immoral. I said many states have decided it is not legally, morally or socially RELEVANT to marriage.

Perhaps you should read it again more carefully. Ask for help.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#192190 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it has hurt anyone, married or not. I'm not legally married, but I've lived happily with the same woman for 20 years.
well... that sort of is a marriage isnít it.. in this state... common law?

It was a major flaw in their case, they claimed harm to marriage, but they could not bring anyone in who was actually harmed by it.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#192191 May 15, 2013
Congrats MN. Just one more reminder there isn't a rational argument against gay marriage. Even those against it have to start admitting their opposition is based purely on bigotry and superstition.

"Minnesota governor signs gay marriage bill"
http://za.news.yahoo.com/minnesota-governor-s...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192192 May 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep
"shrug" is right. Who cares.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#192193 May 15, 2013
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruno, I see you still the good nature person you've always been.
Do you live in Fortuna, Joe? Fine town. Is that old radio store still in business? C. Crane I think it is called.
Sheets

Covina, CA

#192195 May 15, 2013
Who care if your sleeping anyone at all, and if you are it's no ones business but your own.
makers marked

Covina, CA

#192201 May 15, 2013
Cuba,GuantŠnamo: 30 of the 100 hunger strikers now being tube-fed, let them who wish to meet their maker!

God speed on this one, less to worry about in the long run, put a GPS unit on them an drop them in their graves from bomber's.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#192202 May 15, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny! Have no fear! I feel safe now.
I can see it now....the justices are just about to render an opinion...suddenly indescion sets in....a collective cry for help goes out. Meanwhile across the country, Big D is sitting reading the paper in stately Big D manor. He suddenly stands up upon hearing the cry for help. "I'm on my way.....I'll save the day....To the Big D cave" he yells out. Momments later, all across the county crowds gather, scanning the heavens, when suddenly someone shouts out, "It's a looney bird, it's a biplane.....no wait...IT'S BIG DEE!".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 24 min Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr Tank ever 7,926
Riverside County:Tap Water Taste and Smell Unpl... 14 hr Chris 49
The Waterfalls (May '09) 17 hr Chris 20
HEMET GAYS! new2this Wed Chris 7
Black People in Hemet (Jan '10) Wed umyeah 474
Abandoned Insane Asylum In Hemet.... (Jun '09) Aug 26 michelle 58
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••