Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,261)

Showing posts 165,201 - 165,220 of200,210
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
To "decriminalize" something, makes it "legal". Their actions made same-gender intercourse legal.
Not really. Decriminalisation of pot would make possession of small amounts a lesser criminal offense than it is currently.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing, your cover wouldn't last long.
<quoted text>
Because words have meaning. This attitude of who gives a sh%% is what has brought us this nonsense that the Constitution is a "living breathing" document, when in fact there is only one CONSTITUTIONAL way to alter the Constitution- See Article V.
<quoted text>
No, the fact of the matter is- Sodomy is illegal in 14 States.
<quoted text>
No, you remove the punishment.
<quoted text>
Since you want to continue to debate something you clearly do not understand, I guess you will continue to remain ignorant. But that seems to be a trend with people like you.
I'm happy with my rudimentary understanding of the law. I know enough about it that I've been able to live without being incarcerated for nearly half a century.

If you find comfort in having a superior grasp of all things law, then I'm fine with that.

I know when to not get into a pissing contest with a skunk.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why so mad fruitcake? I'm just the messenger. Find out what makes you so mad at polygamy and deal with it, don't transfer your anger to me.
I support marriage equality, you do not.
fella, you fail to recognize my mood or my temperament as you don't know me personally. you and i are internet strangers and will remain so.

i have not stated an opinion on polygamy as this is not the forum.

it is you that fails to take your own advice of the 2 or 3 people telling you something, in this case, then, it is in regards to a subject you want to beat to death of polygamy.

it is you that keeps me from being interested in discussing or researching polygamy. take that responsibility my internet acquaintance and wear that badge proudly.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an IDIOT!
Poor little moron can't seem to comprehend that this discussion is much more involved than simply Prop 8. It extends to the greater question of marriage equality and how marriage can and cannot be defined and by whom.
That's why States other than California filed briefs in the case, because there is a far larger question at hand than simply Prop 8.
Poor BigD, I guess the "D" is for dumb, you can't even act smart.
And BTW, there is no such thing as "DOMAS".
You are a poor little moron that doesnít even understand the arguments being presented in court.

No one really expects prop 8 to be overturned in such a way as to affect other states, there are those that hope for that but the chances are incredibly slim.

This is a California only ( for now ) issue

It is a fact that there are 18,000 legally married same sex couples in California right now.

You honestly donít think the lawyers are smart enough to bring up the equal rights issues that some same sex marriage couples are being treated unequal to other same sex couples?

Of course they are, the lawyers are a whole lot smarter than you are.

It doesnít need to extend to the greater question, that is already answered, there are 18,000 legally married couples in California right now, not an opinion, a fact.

The question is why are other same sex couples not afforded the same equal rights.:)

If you didnít know before you might as well know now... that is why Prop 8 is going down.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Try again to what? To tell an idiot that polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage?
I did that 50 times. The idiot didn't listen 50 times. He doesn't get it. He's stupid.
Oh! You're that idiot. Woops.
No you have not once shown how Prop 8 changed any law with respect to poly. Illegal before, Illegal during, and will still be illegal when Prop 8 is overturned.

Personally I think Poly should be legal, but I donít think that will happen yet.

Personally I think Poly deserves the same respect as 1-1 marriage ( regardless of gender as both opposite sex and same sex are legal )myself, but I donít think it will get much traction yet, there is just not enough support for it yet. That will probably change in time.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Speaking of Texas, who of you condones the state violently seizing children from their mothers and putting them into the notorious Texas child welfare system?
Little kids traumatized, crying for their mothers. The kids were returned eventually but not until after irrevocable damage. Their crime? Too many mommies that loved them.
Only one mommy allowed in CA too. Pick one, kid. One only.
You can have two mommies but then you don't get a daddy. Hurry up kid what's it gonna be? You can also have two daddies but then you get no mommie.
Just as Prop 8 had no effect on those in Texas, good point
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a poor little moron that doesnít even understand the arguments being presented in court.
No one really expects prop 8 to be overturned in such a way as to affect other states, there are those that hope for that but the chances are incredibly slim.....
If you didnít know before you might as well know now... that is why Prop 8 is going down.
i am wondering, though. if prop 8 falls, even just in CA, then what about the laws in other states banning same sex marriage? wouldn't that open the door to other lawsuits within those states? and if doma falls (as expected), then that would affect in some measure those laws as well.
i think, just my opinion here, that with both prop 8 and doma falling, then it's just a matter of time before all the other states' laws are lost causes as well. it may take time, but, with some patience and some money, all things are possible.

what do you think?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
fella, you fail to recognize my mood or my temperament as you don't know me personally. you and i are internet strangers and will remain so.
i have not stated an opinion on polygamy as this is not the forum.
it is you that fails to take your own advice of the 2 or 3 people telling you something, in this case, then, it is in regards to a subject you want to beat to death of polygamy.
it is you that keeps me from being interested in discussing or researching polygamy. take that responsibility my internet acquaintance and wear that badge proudly.
Two people, Yeah, two dummies, you and the Big Dope.

You are "not stating an opinion on polygamy" but I read your opinion on marriage equality for poly loud and clear.

It is you who makes people have an aversion to same sex marriage. It is you who beats ssm to death. Take that responsibility and wear that badge proudly fruitcake.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as Prop 8 had no effect on those in Texas, good point
Why do you constantly attempt to so tightly limit the discussion? I submit that it's to hide your hypocrisy.

Polygamy is a perfectly acceptable topic and within the scope of this thread. You cannot fully discuss marriage equality if you're not allowed to mention topics that make you uncomfortable.

Sorry Big D, you're not the King.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Two people, Yeah, two dummies, you and the Big Dope.
You are "not stating an opinion on polygamy" but I read your opinion on marriage equality for poly loud and clear.
It is you who makes people have an aversion to same sex marriage. It is you who beats ssm to death. Take that responsibility and wear that badge proudly fruitcake.
you must have a pair of bare bottomed leather chaps in your wardrobe somewhere. because you blow a lot of smoke out of your beee-hind (as my 9 yr old calls it).

i have not stated an opinion regarding your favorite topic because i have not researched it, read anything about it (except your adnauseum posts) nor have i thought about it - not even for a second.

let me put it this way, once ssm is allowed in all 50 states and we get the same priviliges as straight couples, i'll be more than happy to shut up and fade away and never be heard (or read) discussing same sex marriage here on these ol' topix threads.

insofar as your "aversion to same sex marriage"....that doesn't really matter. your approval is not required. it is not requested. it is not demanded. you have nothing to do with same sex marriage, unless you want to marry another person of the same gender as you. there is not another soul on this planet that give one twit about how you feel, think or believe in regards to same sex marriage. hate it, despise it, be for it, jump up and down for or against - we don't care.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you constantly attempt to so tightly limit the discussion? I submit that it's to hide your hypocrisy.
Polygamy is a perfectly acceptable topic and within the scope of this thread. You cannot fully discuss marriage equality if you're not allowed to mention topics that make you uncomfortable.
Sorry Big D, you're not the King.
LOL.

he may not be the king - butyou sure are the queen.

the queen of disgruntlement.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
i am wondering, though. if prop 8 falls, even just in CA, then what about the laws in other states banning same sex marriage? wouldn't that open the door to other lawsuits within those states? and if doma falls (as expected), then that would affect in some measure those laws as well.
i think, just my opinion here, that with both prop 8 and doma falling, then it's just a matter of time before all the other states' laws are lost causes as well. it may take time, but, with some patience and some money, all things are possible.
what do you think?
well perhaps I am not as hopeful int he near term as you are.

I donít expect all of DOMA to fall, only section 3

If all of DOMA goes down the tubes you will be exactly right regardless of the results of Prop 8, it would be the death knell of every state constitution banning same sex marriage, it would still take time.. but it would happen swiftly.

What I expect with DOMA is section 3 to be struck... taking away the federal definition, but leaving definitions and recognitions to individual states. Not the swift outcome, but progress.

On Prop 8, I honestly donít know which way it will go, there are 4 outcomes I can think of

1 Uphold the case against Prop 8 ( and Prop 8 goes down )
2 Decide those defending Prop 8 do not have standing ( and prop 8 goes down )
3 Donít rule ( like they did with Gore vs Bush ) and toss it back to the state, that has already ruled ( and prop 8 goes down )
4 Uphold Prop 8, not likely, however it will be quickly resolved in the next election cycle with another ballot measure that will easily pass.

1, 2 and 3 are equally likely in my opinion, I doubt we will see 4

But unless they overturn all of DOMA, and go for a broad ruling on Prop 8 I seriously doubt it will affect other states much in the short term.

In the long term.. oh yeah.. it is pushing the door that is already open wider and wider and either way it is only a matter of time before all states will recognize same sex marriage.

You are very right that nowÖ it is only a matter of time, like geology, time and pressure
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
you must have a pair of bare bottomed leather chaps in your wardrobe somewhere. because you blow a lot of smoke out of your beee-hind (as my 9 yr old calls it).
i have not stated an opinion regarding your favorite topic because i have not researched it, read anything about it (except your adnauseum posts) nor have i thought about it - not even for a second.
let me put it this way, once ssm is allowed in all 50 states and we get the same priviliges as straight couples, i'll be more than happy to shut up and fade away and never be heard (or read) discussing same sex marriage here on these ol' topix threads.
insofar as your "aversion to same sex marriage"....that doesn't really matter. your approval is not required. it is not requested. it is not demanded. you have nothing to do with same sex marriage, unless you want to marry another person of the same gender as you. there is not another soul on this planet that give one twit about how you feel, think or believe in regards to same sex marriage. hate it, despise it, be for it, jump up and down for or against - we don't care.
You are not interested in marriage equality, you just want more of the same. Marriage for approved groups only. I get it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
By the way, I have no aversion to SSM. I fully support it as do most polygamists. Too bad you don't reciprocate. After all you want the same thing. Marriage equality. That is what you want isn't it?

Polygamists generally support SSM. SSM advocates generally do not support poly. That's the facts. You interpret them as you will. I interpret them to mean you are a hypocrite.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
You donít need to take him seriously, he has already admitted he has no personal interest in Poly at all, his only goal is to use Poly to try and attack anyone in favor of Same Sex marriage.

And if you notice, that is all he does

He is like Mr Cellophane, you can see right through him

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm happy with my rudimentary understanding of the law. I know enough about it that I've been able to live without being incarcerated for nearly half a century.
If you find comfort in having a superior grasp of all things law, then I'm fine with that.
I know when to not get into a pissing contest with a skunk.
In other words, you are tired of having your a$$ handed to you and are trying to apply whit in an attempt to save face. Something else you aren't very good at.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the briefs, you haven't. Nuff said!
magic johnsons son

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, I have no aversion to SSM. I fully support it as do most polygamists. Too bad you don't reciprocate. After all you want the same thing. Marriage equality. That is what you want isn't it?
Polygamists generally support SSM. SSM advocates generally do not support poly. That's the facts. You interpret them as you will. I interpret them to mean you are a hypocrite.
Mistah Frankie... you gonna be working booth 3 or 4 at Pink's Gloree~Hole tonite?? Dab some chanel #5 on your lips so i know which. Easy on the teeth this time, okay?
Yopper

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

If there was a reason to care I would have told you when and where to do that.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the briefs, you haven't. Nuff said!
I have heard and read the transcripts of the arguments, you obviously didnít comprehend what you read

Nuff said

The equal rights case was made, in both the appellate and supreme courts about equal rights with those same sex couples who are legally married, and those that are denied the right to marry.

You are in for one disappointing day here pretty soon

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 165,201 - 165,220 of200,210
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Hemet Forum right now

Search the Hemet Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Riverside County:Tap Water Taste and Smell Unpl... 2 hr Chris 39
Omg!! I can't believe my eyes so many blacks in... (May '13) 5 hr Yallsomescaredwhitefolks 166
Black People in Hemet (Jan '10) 5 hr Yallsomescaredwhitefolks 469
Devin F you're my secret crush! Wed eye for a eye 5
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Wed Punk a s Murabito 4,834
Do you approve of Jerry Franchville as Mayor? (Apr '12) Mon JazzerciseHemet 3
hemet fireworks? (Jul '09) Jul 7 Chris 32
•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
•••

Hemet Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••