Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
164,421 - 164,440 of 200,366 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
All that, most of irrelevant, to the simple questioned I posed? Oh Madone! Why not just offer an opinion as to why, instead all that "....impacting...producti ve lives..." stuff?
You know why I won't stoop to answering the question "Why are there gay people?" It implies that there must be something wrong-a question that need answering--a great mystery to unravel.

The way I see it is if my attraction to me doesn't bother me, then why should it bother you? Why must you understand it?

Why do some guys like blondes? Why do some women like guys with blue eyes? Why do I like cabbage but not kraut? Why do I love the color red, but hate the color navy blue?

Do any of these questions require an answer for them to just be accepted?

I, personally, can't understand why guys are attracted to women. I've never experienced it. I've never even had the slightest crush on a woman. It completely baffles me. I like women. I don't hate them. But I am not attracted to them in the least.

However, I'm able to just accept that you like women and leave it at that.

You need to do the same for homosexuality. Stop asking "why". Just accept that we are the way we are.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D will fight you if you tell kids about Odin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
I wonder if kryptonite will work on him?
Klneex

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

This is because most if not all Republican's are filthy wankers.

They got this McConnell recording they told me because of the tackiness and the horrible things that McConnell was discussing.... That is why I think they recorded it.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
All that, most of irrelevant, to the simple questioned I posed? Oh Madone! Why not just offer an opinion as to why, instead all that "....impacting...producti ve lives..." stuff?
VV never wins a debate, he bores you to death with gay twirl pontification.

Smirk.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you bother asking these questions? I wasn’t aware that these other sexual orientations were considered disorders.
I never said they were.
You’re wandering away from the purpose of getting a marriage license.
Quite simple, its to be legally recognized as husband and wife. It also ensures that any children born into the marital relationship, unless there is evidence to the contrary, are presumed to be the husband's, the legally reconized father of the children. Presumption of paternity.
One desires to be married to the partner of their choosing and reaping the benefits of such an arrangement.
According to the state, that "partner of one's choosing" is still dicated by the state, legally that is. The state determines from what categories, one may choose, or not choose. A man may wish his brother to be his "partner of one's choosing", but the state's says "no bennies for you"! If its okay for opposite sex first cousins to marry, but not siblings because of the possibilty of sexual reproduction, why would such a prohibition be appled to same sex siblings who want to marry, or perhaps just get the bennies?

The problem is you wish to use the "partner of one's choosing" line to support SSM, but either are unwilling, or unable to see the possible ramifications from that argument.
I do believe couples who marry are more apt to stay together than couples who simply cohabitate.
It has been shown that men and women who marry tend to stay together longer than those who cohabitate.
Another question you need not ask. The answer should be obvious. Legal contract, yes. Religious, maybe but not necessarily. Nationwide recognition so the legal aspects are uniform across the country.
Each state determines its marriage laws. States do not have to honor licenses granted by other states. For example a license to practice law, or carry a firearm.
Yup, or husband and husband or wife and wife.
Except, at least legally in 32 plus states, and most countries. Of those states that have legal SSM, does the state actually pronounce the SSC, "husband and husband", or "wife and wife"?
He’s gay, that makes it a lie
Makes what a "lie"? So if a self identified gay man marries a woman, or a self identified lesbian marries a man, they're both lying? Even if both parties are aware? I wonder if Mr & Mrs. Josh Weed know?
Which state? Mine, yours, someone else’s?
Here's what I wrote:

A state could grant two same sex adult siblings a license too. The state can grant any license it so chooses.
What matters is that they have the desire to marry. Because they want to make a life long commitment to each other.
Again so what? Why does it matter, to the state/society that two men/women wish to make a commitment to each other? Why does it matter that the state call a personal intimate sexual relationship between two men/women "marriage"? As oppossed to a civil union? Or even recognizing it at all.
Animal behavior. In several species a new male may enter a social group and if he’s big enough and bad enough he kills off the previous dominant male and all of his offspring, making room for his own. Cats are a prime example. At one time in our development it is likely that something similar was rather commonplace. But we’ve advanced continuously to the point we’ve reached today and will continue to advance. Most of us don’t think conquering a village and enslaving the survivors & taking the women as mating partners is okay. I hope.
Did this happen a often in American history? If so when and where? Pre colonial times? Colonial times? Post?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You know why I won't stoop to answering the question "Why are there gay people?" It implies that there must be something wrong-a question that need answering--a great mystery to unravel.
The way I see it is if my attraction to me doesn't bother me, then why should it bother you? Why must you understand it?
Why do some guys like blondes? Why do some women like guys with blue eyes? Why do I like cabbage but not kraut? Why do I love the color red, but hate the color navy blue?
I, personally, can't understand why guys are attracted to women. I've never experienced it. I've never even had the slightest crush on a woman. It completely baffles me. I like women. I don't hate them. But I am not attracted to them in the least.
You need to do the same for homosexuality. Stop asking "why". Just accept that we are the way we are.
Hence the difference between marriage and ss couples.

Smile.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
We already have Thor's day ( Thursday ) once a week, that is as much recognition as any other religion and more than most.
we need a Xemu holiday
Thor's day/Thursday if a federal holiday? Is Christ mass a federal holiday? Just curious.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You know why I won't stoop to answering the question "Why are there gay people?"
Uhhhhhhh.....I didn't ask that.
It implies that there must be something wrong-a question that need answering--a great mystery to unravel.
Did I say it was wrong? Just puzzling, that's all. Why is a woman who is sexually attracted to a women, attracted to a woman who has the appearence of, and mannerisms of a man, if she is not sexually attracted to men? I suppose the same question could be posed of gay men. No implication of wrong, or disrespect.

There was a show called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", but no corresponding female version, like a "Butch Pal for the Straight Gal".......Oh boy...now you're gonna get all mad and say something about a "how people live their lives" or something like that.
Easy there VeeVee....it doesn't bother me. Are we not trying to understand each other, for straight people to understand and accept gay people? My wife and I were friends with a lesbian couple years ago, and I can tell you one of the women clearly had some masculine mannerisms, and thought processes. She had been with men, and even stated she liked "a sausage now and then". But there no mistaking she prefers innies to outies.
Theses are minor chacteristics. Not apparent contradictions.
There ya go again. They're just questions, no requirement necessary.
Never? Not even a crush on a teacher in school as grade school student?
Okaaaaaaaay....so you never asked male friends, relatives, coworkers, etc., of the straight persuation why they like women, or what is it about women that they like?
Easy now...you're taking this way too serious. Homosexuality is what it is, that is acceptance, or perhaps part of it.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
VV never wins a debate, he bores you to death with gay twirl pontification.
Smirk.
They're just questions, no disrespect intended. Its a simple "why'. Why does the one woman of the lesbian couple wear a tuxedo on their wedding day? Do gay men wear wedding dresses? Maybe just Dennis Rodman.:)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Equality 4 all

http://www.unmarriedamerica.org/column-one/09...

Joyce and Sybil Burden keep pressing their case for equal rights.

The sisters, both in their eighties, feel they should be exempt from inheritance tax when once of them dies -- just like married couples and registered same-sex partners are under British law.

Joyce and Sybil never married. They jointly own the family home they have lived in all of their lives.

When one of them dies, the government will impose a hefty inheritance tax on the survivor. The tax is so substantial that it might force the survivor to sell the home in order to raise the necessary funds.

The British government provides no method for siblings to gain a tax exemption, no matter how interdependent they are or how long they have lived together. Close relatives are prohibited from entering into a civil partnership or marriage.

The sisters wrote to the British Chancellor before every Budget since 1976 asking for exemption for family members from inheritance tax.

Two years ago, Joyce and Sybil also wrote to the European Court of Human Rights. They were surprised when the court agreed to hear their case.

The sisters found a lawyer to represent them. He argued that the tax is discriminatory and violates the sisters' rights under the Human Rights Convention of the European Union.

After all, he pointed out, a surviving party in a marriage or a civil partnership would pay no tax at all. In contrast, Joyce or Sybil might have to sell their home in order to pay the tax after one of them dies.

Last year, a divided panel of judges ruled against them in a 4 to 3 vote.

Reacting to the court's decision, Joyce Burden told a British newspaper, "If we were lesbians, we would have all the rights in the world. But we are sisters, and it seems we have no rights at all."

So the sisters filed an appeal, asking for a rehearing by the court's Grand Chamber. A panel of 17 judges, from 17 different nations, heard the case on September 12. A decision may be handed down as early as December.

The lawyer representing the Burden sisters argued that the Civil Partnership Act of 2004 infringes on their right to own property and their right to be free from discrimination under the region's Human Rights Convention. Their relationship is more solid and longer lasting than most same-sex partnerships and yet, solely because they are blood related, the sisters are prevented from registering as civil partners.

An attempt to extend the exemption to close relatives who had lived together as adults for at least 12 years was overturned by the House of Commons when the Civil Partnership Bill was in debate.

The sisters are understandably angry. Joyce told a British newspaper that she would rather burn down the house than to have to sell it to pay taxes to the British government.

"They have taxed us all our lives," Joyce added, "and we have never claimed any benefits, apart from our pensions which we paid into."

Sybil also had a few choice words to say.

"We are looked down upon for being single," she told The Times. "We just want to be treated as equal citizens and given the rights we deserve."

Sybil pointed out that she and Joyce "saved the Government thousands by caring for our elderly sick relatives till they passed away and have never claimed a penny apart from the pension."

If they lose their case before the 17-member court, the battle will turn from legal to political.

"The whole issue of inheritance tax needs to be revisited so that relationships outside of marriage or civil partnership are recognized," said Neil Parish, a conservative member of Parliament. "Inheritance tax should only apply if property is passed down from one generation to the next, not between the same generation.

"Sybil and Joyce Burden deserve to have their 80 year partnership as sisters recognized by the law," he added. "I will lobby the government to change this grossly unfair law."

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
They're just questions, no disrespect intended. Its a simple "why'. Why does the one woman of the lesbian couple wear a tuxedo on their wedding day? Do gay men wear wedding dresses? Maybe just Dennis Rodman.:)
your stereotypes are not true of all lesbians, Petey...

so what is up, ol' Pietro?

many women are attracted to very feminine looking women. many very masculine men are attracted to masculine men. and I have personally attended a wedding where they both wore wedding gowns.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

So Petey...yo haven't given up on your quest for multiple wives, have you?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhhhh.....I didn't ask that.
<quoted text>
Did I say it was wrong? Just puzzling, that's all. Why is a woman who is sexually attracted to a women, attracted to a woman who has the appearence of, and mannerisms of a man, if she is not sexually attracted to men? I suppose the same question could be posed of gay men. No implication of wrong, or disrespect.
There was a show called "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy", but no corresponding female version, like a "Butch Pal for the Straight Gal".......Oh boy...now you're gonna get all mad and say something about a "how people live their lives" or something like that.
<quoted text>
Easy there VeeVee....it doesn't bother me. Are we not trying to understand each other, for straight people to understand and accept gay people? My wife and I were friends with a lesbian couple years ago, and I can tell you one of the women clearly had some masculine mannerisms, and thought processes. She had been with men, and even stated she liked "a sausage now and then". But there no mistaking she prefers innies to outies.
<quoted text>
Theses are minor chacteristics. Not apparent contradictions.
<quoted text>
There ya go again. They're just questions, no requirement necessary.
<quoted text>
Never? Not even a crush on a teacher in school as grade school student?
<quoted text>
Okaaaaaaaay....so you never asked male friends, relatives, coworkers, etc., of the straight persuation why they like women, or what is it about women that they like?
<quoted text>
Easy now...you're taking this way too serious. Homosexuality is what it is, that is acceptance, or perhaps part of it.
Well, to answer your question, "Why do are some lesbians attracted to more masculine lesbians?"

I don't know. I honestly don't.

I've been around a lot of lesbians. But I've never thought it was my place to ask them the question.

I've looked at couples--straight couples and gay couples--and thought to myself, "What does he see in him?" But I would never ask.

I just assume that people know what they like and they have their own, personal reasons.

I'm much more apt to ask, "Why does he stay with him when he's so abusive?" or "Why does she stay with him when he treats her like a doormat?"

But if a couple seems content, I just leave it at that. I'm happy that they found someone who they like.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I did a search on Google "Ask a Lesbian". I came across a Topix forum that was trying to get to the bottom of your question.

One response stood out:

"'m a femme lesbian with a butch girlfriend.
like many here have already said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and it takes all kinds of people to make this world go around.
my "butch" girlfriend is attractive to me because she has confidence, a sense of humor, and compassion for others. no matter what her personal style, her personality would be the same. in fact, not that long ago she was a 'girly' lesbian.
and with clothes of any style, or completely naked, she is a beautiful woman that i love, honor, and respect.
i won't check this board again, so please send any feedback to leelan_m04@yahoo.com and i'd be happy to elaborate.:)
thanks, and i hope i helped!"

----------

Since she included her email, you should drop her a line.

The discussion took place in 2007, so she may not have the same email. But, there were responses as recently as March 2013

The Topix forum that discusses this issue can be found here http://www.topix.com/forum/news/sex/T8C109POF...

Go have a look and see what you find.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
According to VV, there is no such thing as sexual orientation dysfunction...that he wants to hear about.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I did a search on Google "Ask a Lesbian". I came across a Topix forum that was trying to get to the bottom of your question.
One response stood out:
"'m a femme lesbian with a butch girlfriend.
like many here have already said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and it takes all kinds of people to make this world go around.
my "butch" girlfriend is attractive to me because she has confidence, a sense of humor, and compassion for others. no matter what her personal style, her personality would be the same. in fact, not that long ago she was a 'girly' lesbian.
and with clothes of any style, or completely naked, she is a beautiful woman that i love, honor, and respect.
i won't check this board again, so please send any feedback to leelan_m04@yahoo.com and i'd be happy to elaborate.:)
thanks, and i hope i helped!"
----------
Since she included her email, you should drop her a line.
The discussion took place in 2007, so she may not have the same email. But, there were responses as recently as March 2013
The Topix forum that discusses this issue can be found here http://www.topix.com/forum/news/sex/T8C109POF...
Go have a look and see what you find.
I've got a better idea. Google butch lesbian forums.

Why does a lesbian dress and act like a man to attract another lesbian?

Because something is sexually broken. Almost a man connecting with barely a lesbian.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
So Petey...yo haven't given up on your quest for multiple wives, have you?
I cannot speak for Pietro, but I think that he like myself is not interested in a poly marriage, only in discussing it in relation to marriage equality.

Let me also state in advance that I am also not interested in marrying a goat, as "Big D" and others have insisted I must be since I mention poly marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
We already have Thor's day ( Thursday ) once a week, that is as much recognition as any other religion and more than most.
we need a Xemu holiday
God of most of the peoples of the world throughout history. BAD!!!!

"Xemu". GOOD!!!!

in Big D La La land.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>your stereotypes are not true of all lesbians, Petey...
many women are attracted to very feminine looking women. many very masculine men are attracted to masculine men. and I have personally attended a wedding where they both wore wedding gowns.
WOODY?! Is that you? Welcome back amico.

I know not all lesbians are like that.... Some are down right beautiful. My question was not to imply all were like that, same with gay men, just seeking an answer to puzzlement. That's all.

What of a wedding of two men? I don't I've seen pictures of one wearing a dress. You? Just askin'
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>your stereotypes are not true of all lesbians, Petey...
Two men married in wedding gowns? Oy. White?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Hemet Forum right now

Search the Hemet Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
hemet police not doing their job 6 hr Chris 27
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Thu seekers 4,900
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Pole swap 7,855
what keeps hemet from going bankrupt? (Sep '12) Thu Chris 27
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu rain or snow to slow 15,928
Rancho Cordova hires city manager Thu saays who 4
Review: VIP Autos (Dec '13) Jul 30 Guess who 2
•••
•••

Hemet News Video

•••
Hemet Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hemet Jobs

•••