Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,038

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#187806 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a straight person, in a heterosexual marriage, as are my children, all of us support same sex marriage, the tide has turned, your opinion is now a minority opinion
Actually you are a man in a conjugal,(husband and wife), marriage. There are mixed orientation conjugal marriages out there, lets not forget those.
CA chamber of Commece

Covina, CA

#187807 Apr 9, 2013
As stated before, the California chamber of commerce is nothing more than a bunch of communists.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187808 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
Frankie might have liked my solution I was for years ago, as civil unions covered a lot of ground, poly, even non-romantic couples ( I know elderly ladies that are not gay but depend totally on one another that would benefit ), even business partners, it was a wide net.
The reason that isnít supported is again the real issue here is not rights, it is not recognition, it is not anything but ownership of a word.
Naah. I wouldn't have liked it. I thought it was dopey just like everyone else did.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187809 Apr 9, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are a man in a conjugal,(husband and wife), marriage. There are mixed orientation conjugal marriages out there, lets not forget those.
again you donít get to define my marriage, or anyone elseís

the tide is turning, you are in the minority

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#187810 Apr 9, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who are fighting for same-gender marriage recognition have drawn the line at just that. To my knowledge, no major group in the LGBT community is promoting plural marriage. And I'm 100% certain that no one is promoting incest.
That is where we in the LGBT community are drawing the line.
That simply confirms what I wrote, but doesn't answer the questions. The BGLT (alphabetical order, never understood why the lesbians go first, ladies first perhaps?) wants to redefine marriage for them alone, most do anyway, the ploys want marriage to include them, the polyamory people, ditto.....so where does it end? Is the ultimate goal, unintended perhaps, of the SSM movement to fundamental devalue marriage as a distinct monogamous relationship of husband and wife, to the point it becomes pointless? Why bother sanctioning it at all? Who cares who marries who?

As to the issue of incest, a few questions.

Is same sex incest equally taboo as opposite sex incest is?

Is it the nature of the sex acts that are taboo, or simply the fact it occurring between blood relatives?

If homosexuality is at least legally acceptable, if not morally, and SSM is legal in a state in which first cousins can marry, why is same sex first cousin marriage acceptable but not same sex sibling marriage. Both unions are by composition sterile so there is no risk of sexual reproduction. So why the distinction?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187811 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't get to define mine.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#187812 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did we stop burning people at the stake, it worked for thousands of years... why did we stop?
Why did we end slavery, we had slavery for tens of thousands of years across many civilizations and we never needed to end it before?
Why did we stop murdering Christians for entertainment in the arena we never needed to stop before that?
The answer of course is... because it is the right thing to do
You are a trip! You compared all those situations to redefining marriage. Lame dodge, but ya didn't answer the question. Why is there a sudden need now to call a personal intimate same sex, male or female, sexual relationship, "marriage"? How the heck did our republic survive into the 21st century with the quaint notion that marriage is an exclusive monogamous relationship of husband and wife? Did men suddenly become pregnant? Women impregnating other women with sperm their own bodies produced?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187813 Apr 9, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't get to define mine.
I have no desire to

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#187814 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Are saying you're not a man who is married to a woman who is legally your wife?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187816 Apr 9, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
That simply confirms what I wrote, but doesn't answer the questions. The BGLT (alphabetical order, never understood why the lesbians go first, ladies first perhaps?) wants to redefine marriage for them alone, most do anyway, the ploys want marriage to include them, the polyamory people, ditto.....so where does it end? Is the ultimate goal, unintended perhaps, of the SSM movement to fundamental devalue marriage as a distinct monogamous relationship of husband and wife, to the point it becomes pointless? Why bother sanctioning it at all? Who cares who marries who?
As to the issue of incest, a few questions.
Is same sex incest equally taboo as opposite sex incest is?
Is it the nature of the sex acts that are taboo, or simply the fact it occurring between blood relatives?
If homosexuality is at least legally acceptable, if not morally, and SSM is legal in a state in which first cousins can marry, why is same sex first cousin marriage acceptable but not same sex sibling marriage. Both unions are by composition sterile so there is no risk of sexual reproduction. So why the distinction?
Being a Christian was once a taboo, letting women walk beside you was ( and still is in some cultures ) a taboo

we have no idea what will and will not be a "taboo" in the future, and it is not for us to decide

You donít get to be a tyrant and tell all future generations what is taboo and what is not. People in the past certainly did not have that power as it is no longer taboo to be a Christian for example.

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

#187817 Apr 9, 2013
Why wrote:
Why do we need gay marriage now when we never needed it before, and nobody on earth complained about that for seven-thousand-plus years? Why now?
The same reason we need iPhones, tablets, etc. we as a civilization advance and things change.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187818 Apr 9, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>You're not married. A blow up sheep does not count.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts, dopey and retarded as they may be.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187819 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no desire to
Isn't that your whole argument? The reason for this thread? People defining marriage to suit them?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187820 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a Christian was once a taboo, letting women walk beside you was ( and still is in some cultures ) a taboo
we have no idea what will and will not be a "taboo" in the future, and it is not for us to decide
You donít get to be a tyrant and tell all future generations what is taboo and what is not. People in the past certainly did not have that power as it is no longer taboo to be a Christian for example.
Only the Mighty D gets to be a tyrant?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187821 Apr 9, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Are saying you're not a man who is married to a woman who is legally your wife?
I am saying I donít care what words you use to define my marriage.

I donít worry about your "acceptance" or "permission", you donít get to define my marriage, you are not that important.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187825 Apr 9, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Only the Mighty D gets to be a tyrant?
Nope I have no desire to tell others what they cannot do while it causes no harm to anyone, it is my opponents that desire to do that.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187826 Apr 9, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that your whole argument? The reason for this thread? People defining marriage to suit them?
It is the reason for you opponents of same sex marriage, you are the ones worried about a limiting a definition.

Not I
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#187827 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Except the polls have already shown that a majority of heterosexual people support same sex marriage.
You need to internalize first that you are in the minority
I am a straight person, in a heterosexual marriage, as are my children, all of us support same sex marriage, the tide has turned, your opinion is now a minority opinion
?? not sure why you're posting this to me, big d.

i've read the polls and know that now the majority of americans do support homosexual marriage. i'm glad the tides have turned.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#187828 Apr 9, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
?? not sure why you're posting this to me, big d.
i've read the polls and know that now the majority of americans do support homosexual marriage. i'm glad the tides have turned.
LOL I probably replied to the wrong post

I do know you stand on the side of justice :)

And you know you dont stand alone

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#187829 Apr 9, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
To their point however it isnít the LGBT community they are worried about. They are asking why they personally cannot determine for all future generations what they are allowed to do and not allowed to do regardless of what those future generations may believe
You and I really donít know what they may find acceptable.
The answer is of course, that we donít, we are not tyrants that can make all decisions for all future generations today
They would like to do that... they arenít going to be able to
For all we know future generations may be fine with poly ( that could happen in this generation ), or with incest Ö but that is up to them, not up to us.
The problem with their argument it that only frightens their own constituency, it does not frighten anyone else.
I fully understand their point. However, the LGBT community is fighting for one thing--equal marriage rights.

What people may or may not do in the future is no reason to prohibit same-gender couples from marrying.

I would be willing to bet that in the 1960s, when desegregation was happening and when interracial marriages began to take place, there were people just as worried that horrible things would happen as a result.

Granted, the transition for the African American community has not been smooth, but that is no reason to go back to the way things were before they were given freedoms.

Social change takes place over time.

The agriculture community in the South was hit hard when slavery was abolished. But, it was the right thing to do. To my knowledge, the south never really recovered from it.

I doubt the transition to same-gender marriage will result in such upheaval. Since it does not impact people who are not gay, then most people won't eve notice a difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Jeff Stone as Supervisor? (Oct '11) 1 hr EastEndResident 10
Do you approve of Robert Youssef as Council Mem... 2 hr EastEndResident 2
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr Bucketeers 7,967
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 14 hr do it here 16,011
Why Is There So Much Racial Tension In Hemet? (Oct '08) 22 hr sax 193
HemetFor now, judge won't block Hemet fire switch Mon EastEndResident 1
HemetHEMET: Firefighters want voters decide dep... Mon EastEndResident 3

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match

Hemet Jobs

Hemet People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hemet News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hemet

Personal Finance