Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,168

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#186703 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your view is skewed. Blacks couldn't marry whites because you bible bumpers didnt want it how's that working for you?
Sounds like you're equating race with gender/sexes. There's only two sexes. Numerous races/ethnicities. Interracial marriage bans only banned certain racial combinations, not all. For example Blacks could marry "orientals" but not whites. A person of mixed racial/ethnicity coulld marry.....?

That's why the analogy fails

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

#186704 Apr 5, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...please don't insult African Americans.
I don't insult anyone I leave to religious homophobic bigots like you.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#186705 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides if us gays stole your women you wouldn't be left with any of the good looking ones. Be careful what you wish for.
Most of us here against gay marriage are not against people being gay whether you were born that way or had surgery to change into it. Like Bono's daughter that changed from Lesbian to straight with surgery and her/his girlfriend that went from Lesbian to straight without surgery.

Elk Grove, CA

#186706 Apr 5, 2013
poledancer45 wrote:
<quoted text>Sweetie your absolutely right... It harms no hetero and only serves to strenghten the very things they claim it harms which leaves you with only one motive on there part... Hate!!
A lot of things people do like Harvey Milk and his teen boys didn't harm me, marrying a sister doesn't harm me....but does that make it right?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186707 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a Nike commercial.
<quoted text>
Why should rights be voted on? Why shouldn't marriage equality apply to everyone? Aren't those a couple of slogans uttered by SSMers?
<quoted text>
Great analogy Potsie! How quickly the SSMers scream, "Slipperly slope", "That's not fair", instead of having the honesty to admit they're legitimate possibilities.
<quoted text>
Easy Big D.....keep your sexual fantasies to yourself. No one mentioned a goat.
<quoted text>
See.....marriage equality is on the march.
<quoted text>
That would be "other", marriage between siblings....basically blood relatives....other than first cousins. So what you're implying is, you won't be around to see the total devaluation of marriage by the state?
I have tried once to show someone why it would not fly yet, and he could not separate what I was trying to show from my actual position on the subject

Donít want to go through that again

Go get the signatures on those measures and the general public can inform you of why that cannot happenÖ at least yet. Or if you donít think you need public consent ( understand that if we put overturning Prop 8 on a ballot, it will be overturned in a walk which is exactly what will happen if the Supremes donít do the right thing ), then go to court for your issues, and let them inform you.

My marriage has not been devalued one tiny little bit by 18,000 same sex couples being legally married right now in California.

If yours was, if you were actually harmed by their being able to marry why didnít you show up in court, your lawyers could not find a single couple to show up in court to show how their marriage was harmed.

But to be honest I would take a look at your marriage and try to find out why yours is so fragile, that would probably do you more good than worrying about what other people are doing.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#186708 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you're equating race with gender/sexes. There's only two sexes. Numerous races/ethnicities. Interracial marriage bans only banned certain racial combinations, not all. For example Blacks could marry "orientals" but not whites. A person of mixed racial/ethnicity coulld marry.....?
...and yet, the analogy still prevailed in court before a seated judge.

and you, an internet stranger, proclaims it as invalid. yeah. sure. we're buying every word you type pal.

LOL

Milwaukee

#186709 Apr 5, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Most of us here against gay marriage are not against people being gay whether you were born that way or had surgery to change into it. Like Bono's daughter that changed from Lesbian to straight with surgery and her/his girlfriend that went from Lesbian to straight without surgery.
Ok for one you need to know the difference. I am gay I was born a male and like men. I am in no way like a transgender person. I like my body and my penis and would never choose to be a woman or have it cut off. We are grouped into a category you might as well call other but we are all really separate groups based on what and who we like. So what do you propose 2 gay men that are in love and want to spend their lives together do to achieve the same societal standard as a male/female couple?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#186710 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are skinny people different than fat people? Are tall people different than short. Do some men like big girls as opposed to small. Do some people like mushrooms and some don't. It's all preference. Just as I am attracted to men.
Manly men, or girlie men? Just asking....you started it.
Not all men I also have my preference as to a type just as a straight man does to a certain type of women. You can't "choose" what you like or are attracted to. So stop trying to say being gay is a choice. It's not.
It is what it is. I don't think its as clear cut as you indicate....at least among women. Supposedly straight women "come out" later in life, after several years of marriage and kids, and previously self identified lesbians go straight. Go figure.
I was married to a woman and tried to live up to society's expectations. I was unhappy because I wasn't being true to myself or my feelings. You would rather have all gay men marry women and have unhealthy marriages. That's a stupid solution.
[QUOTE]

Nooooooo.....never said that. However there are "mixed orientation" marriages.

[QUOTE]
Besides if us gays stole your women you wouldn't be left with any of the good looking ones. Be careful what you wish for.
Hmmmmmm....you may have a point there. Cute. Thanks for the chuckle.

Milwaukee

#186711 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you're equating race with gender/sexes. There's only two sexes. Numerous races/ethnicities. Interracial marriage bans only banned certain racial combinations, not all. For example Blacks could marry "orientals" but not whites. A person of mixed racial/ethnicity coulld marry.....?

I'm talking about PEOPLE. Get the point. No 2 PEOPLE should have anyone tell them they can't be together based on race or gender or any other reason or difference. None of which can be chosen by the PERSON.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186712 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have tried once to show someone why it would not fly yet, and he could not separate what I was trying to show from my actual position on the subject
Donít want to go through that again
Go get the signatures on those measures and the general public can inform you of why that cannot happenÖ at least yet. Or if you donít think you need public consent ( understand that if we put overturning Prop 8 on a ballot, it will be overturned in a walk which is exactly what will happen if the Supremes donít do the right thing ), then go to court for your issues, and let them inform you.
My marriage has not been devalued one tiny little bit by 18,000 same sex couples being legally married right now in California.
If yours was, if you were actually harmed by their being able to marry why didnít you show up in court, your lawyers could not find a single couple to show up in court to show how their marriage was harmed.
But to be honest I would take a look at your marriage and try to find out why yours is so fragile, that would probably do you more good than worrying about what other people are doing.
Oy. Spare us.

Milwaukee

#186713 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>Manly men, or girlie men? Just asking....you started it.

[QUOTE]
Not all men I also have my preference as to a type just as a straight man does to a certain type of women. You can't "choose" what you like or are attracted to. So stop trying to say being gay is a choice. It's not.
"

It is what it is. I don't think its as clear cut as you indicate....at least among women. Supposedly straight women "come out" later in life, after several years of marriage and kids, and previously self identified lesbians go straight. Go figure.

[QUOTE]
I was married to a woman and tried to live up to society's expectations. I was unhappy because I wasn't being true to myself or my feelings. You would rather have all gay men marry women and have unhealthy marriages. That's a stupid solution.
[QUOTE]

Nooooooo.....never said that. However there are "mixed orientation" marriages.

[QUOTE]
Besides if us gays stole your women you wouldn't be left with any of the good looking ones. Be careful what you wish for. "

Hmmmmmm....you may have a point there. Cute. Thanks for the chuckle.
Do you actually have anything intelligent to discuss or is this your version of being a playground bully. Probably because you were the kid that got picked on in school.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#186714 Apr 5, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
...and yet, the analogy still prevailed in court before a seated judge.
So a judge bought it......andddddddd....that means.....?
and you, an internet stranger, proclaims it as invalid. yeah. sure. we're buying every word you type pal.
LOL
Far easy to dismiss my point, than offer an opposing view.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#186715 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you actually have anything intelligent to discuss or is this your version of being a playground bully. Probably because you were the kid that got picked on in school.
If you don't want to respond to my points, don't. "Playground bully...."?????
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186716 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So a judge bought it......andddddddd....that means.....?
<quoted text>
Far easy to dismiss my point, than offer an opposing view.
Not "a" judge, there have been quite a few now including the appellate courts that agreed with that first judge, and now before 9 more, the highest in the land.

But it doesnít matter, even if they chose the wrong way, we put overturning prop8 on the next ballot...and poof... gone in a walk, donít even have to spend much money on it.

This is happeningÖ there is no stopping it now, even your media prophet has stated this now.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#186717 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes... I like Franklin, treason is a term made up by the winners to use as an excuse for hanging the losers. Or something like that, not a direct quote.
Common ground. You have your moments Big D. Grazie.
I can show logically that black is white
personally I think we are too hung up on words, the word marriage does not frighten me at all. I can have it, they can have it, and their having it does not change my own.
But at what point, does it become pointless, from a societal/state/commonly understood meaning? If marriage is applied to ANY adult personal consensual intimate relationship, it loses its meaning....or perhaps becomes meaningless.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#186718 Apr 5, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Most of us here against gay marriage are not against people being gay whether you were born that way or had surgery to change into it. Like Bono's daughter that changed from Lesbian to straight with surgery and her/his girlfriend that went from Lesbian to straight without surgery.
How the heck are we supposed to keep up on all of this? Next thing you know Chaz's situation will be compared to Brittany Spears three day marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186719 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Common ground. You have your moments Big D. Grazie.
<quoted text>
But at what point, does it become pointless, from a societal/state/commonly understood meaning? If marriage is applied to ANY adult personal consensual intimate relationship, it loses its meaning....or perhaps becomes meaningless.
When marriage means everything, it means nothing.

Elk Grove, CA

#186720 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok for one you need to know the difference. I am gay I was born a male and like men. I am in no way like a transgender person. I like my body and my penis and would never choose to be a woman or have it cut off. We are grouped into a category you might as well call other but we are all really separate groups based on what and who we like. So what do you propose 2 gay men that are in love and want to spend their lives together do to achieve the same societal standard as a male/female couple?
I don't need to know what you do or are, that is not the point. You are free to be whatever. In my example Bono's girlfriend is not transgender, she went from Lesbian to straight without surgery. Some people go both ways, I don't care. Some go many ways, I don't care. Some like 3 or 4 ways, I don't care, but Marriage is between a man and a woman. You have civil relationships.

Elk Grove, CA

#186721 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about PEOPLE. Get the point. No 2 PEOPLE should have anyone tell them they can't be together based on race or gender or any other reason or difference. None of which can be chosen by the PERSON.
Why just 2? Brothers, sisters? where do u draw the line mr morals?

Elk Grove, CA

#186722 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How the heck are we supposed to keep up on all of this? Next thing you know Chaz's situation will be compared to Brittany Spears three day marriage.
Maybe he will change back to lose weight, who knows?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
corruption with Riverside county CPS 5 hr gmaliscious 6
Hemet - The worst city to live in california 8 hr Joe Hemet 13
Water main Break Shadow Mountain Way 8 hr Joe Hemet 1
Marinello Schools of Beauty in Hemet is a Rip... (Jan '11) Fri fairplay 6
One of Two Suspects Arrested in Jack-in-the-Box... Fri SJ THEBOy 9
Residents Of Hemet, San Jacinto Still Cleaning ... Fri Chris 2
bums on bikes Dec 18 kmnine 5

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match