Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,191

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Fix bayonettes!”

Since: Aug 08

#185767 Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter Brian!

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#185768 Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter C.B.!

From the SCOTUS DOMA oral arguments,

PAUL D. CLEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE RESPONDENT BIPARTISAN LEGAL ADVISORY GROUP OF THE UNITED STATES:..."Now, the second thing is the fact that DOMA affects all 1,100 statutes at once is not really a sign of its irrationality. It is a sign that what it is, and all it has ever purported to be, is a definitional provision. And like every other provision in the Dictionary Act, what it does is it defines the term wherever it appears in Federal law in a consistent way. And that was part and parcel of what Congress was trying to accomplish with DOMA in 1996...

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#185769 Mar 31, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Happy Easter C.B.!
From the SCOTUS DOMA oral arguments,
PAUL D. CLEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE RESPONDENT BIPARTISAN LEGAL ADVISORY GROUP OF THE UNITED STATES:..."Now, the second thing is the fact that DOMA affects all 1,100 statutes at once is not really a sign of its irrationality. It is a sign that what it is, and all it has ever purported to be, is a definitional provision. And like every other provision in the Dictionary Act, what it does is it defines the term wherever it appears in Federal law in a consistent way. And that was part and parcel of what Congress was trying to accomplish with DOMA in 1996...
Yep, quote the irrational argument of the losing side.

Judge Kagan had a bit more to say about what DOMA was designed to do. In the very words of some of the people who created it.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#185770 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
neither of them are very "prevelant"
and that is the reason that NOt many people are behind you...
lack of information.
Actually polygyny is a valid form of marriage throughout time and place, including today. Its legal in far more societies than SSM. The legal success of SSM has only boosted its chances for legalization. Additionally, two reality shows based on plural marriage families have increased exposure of such families. Soooooo.......as was once said about SSM.....

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#185771 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said there was..
Very good Johnny Cochrane....is he still around?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185774 Mar 31, 2013
Spun Out Post Monkey wrote:
frankie??
any relation to mikey??
Mike DiRucci is a victim of Topix censorship of free speech.

Some posters and opinions on Topix are more equal than others.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#185775 Mar 31, 2013
JUSTICE KAGAN: Well, is what happened in 1996 -- and I'm going to quote from the House Report here -- is that "Congress decided to reflect an honor of collective moral judgment and to express moral disapproval of homosexuality." Is that what happened in 1996?

MR. CLEMENT: Does the House Report say that? Of course, the House Report says that. And if that's enough to invalidate the statute, then you should invalidate the statute. But that has never been your approach, especially under rational basis or even rational basis-plus, if that is what you are suggesting.

This Court, even when it's to find more heightened scrutiny, the O'Brien case we cite, it suggests, look, we are not going to strike down a statute just because a couple of legislators may have had an improper motive. We're going to look, and under rational basis, we look, is there any rational basis for the statute?

And so sure, the House Report says some things that we are not -- we've never invoked in trying to defend the statute.

But the House Report says other things, like Congress was trying to promote democratic self-governance. And in a situation where an unelected State judiciary in Hawaii is on the verge of deciding this highly contentious, highly divisive issue for everybody, for the States -- for the other States and for the Federal government by borrowing principle, it makes sense for Congress -
From the DOMA oral arguments transcript
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185776 Mar 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good Johnny Cochrane....is he still around?
Cochrane died in 2005 of a brain tumor.

It fits that our man "Tommy Cochrane" AKA "Mr. Anderson" AKA "Hemp telelgraph" named himself after a man who succeeded in letting his client get away with a brutal double murder.

Tommy Cochrane is a great sideshow. Just like Johnny was!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185777 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
the progressive movement is the reason why we dont have people like you leading this country....
thank god!!
Sanity is the reason we don't have people like you leading this country.
Geraldine

Sonoma, CA

#185778 Mar 31, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>You my dearest sunshine are confused! Are you gay? How does it work, is there a wife man and a husband man? Do you switch roles, and positions?
`
Rather like yo do when you get bent over the dishes in the kitchen and take it up the root so that the plumber doesnt have to look at your nose & pimples while you autograph the receipt, one guesses.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185779 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
what planet are you from??
alterboy2??
Earth. Which planet are you from?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#185780 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand by milk....
he is ONE of many heros..
is Jerry Sandusky a hero of yours too? Or were his boys a little younger then Harvey's? What age do you like your boys?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

#185781 Mar 31, 2013
"Why I Oppose Gay Marriage 11nov08
Itís clear to me that eventually men will be able to marry men and women will be able to marry women in all of the United States, itís just not clear exactly when. Itís just that I am not very excited about the prospect. In fact, even being homosexual, I actually oppose gay marriage. Not only that ó I oppose it as a gay person.

I am most annoyed by straight peopleís calls for it. These people who postpone their own marriages until same-sex couples can be married are just being abysmally silly. Their gay friends must love the drama of it all. I have been noticing more discussion of this lately, and now with the passing of Proposition 8 in California and the lesser known Proposition 2 in Florida, both of which enacted a constitutional ban on same-sex marriages, the outrage has reached a crescendo. Finally, Keith Olbermann forced my hand ó I can no longer keep silent on the issue of gay marriage and why it is stupid, awful, and undesirable...."
http://nogaymarriage.wordpress.com/
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185782 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
show me where i wrote that!!
shame on you, putting words in my mouth!!
you right wing ding a ling.
you guys do that alot to people here, so Im not exactly surprised.
You said a greasy slob 30 year old man slick legging your 16 year old daughter would be cool if he was progressive.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185783 Mar 31, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
super gay?? gay is gay....like they say...and people dont really have a choice...so I have no idea what you are talking about....
"bush crime family'
I have EVERY idea what your talking about.
keep spreading the good word on how these low lifes ripped america off for trillions.
You're the one who brought up the term "super gay" dummy. Remember?

You said child molestation is cool if the kid is super gay.
TickerTape

La Puente, CA

#185784 Mar 31, 2013
What's the real cost to small cities though out California?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185785 Mar 31, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, because you're so frikkin' erudite. Please detect bitchy sarcasm.
You mad?
TickerTape

La Puente, CA

#185786 Mar 31, 2013
Been living to close to the research lab and it's reactor are you mad?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#185787 Mar 31, 2013
TickerTape wrote:
Been living to close to the research lab and it's reactor are you mad?
That'd be Old Livermore Billy. AKA "Old SniffsButt" or some such silly sh!t.

Senile old codger one foot in the grave the other tap dancing.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#185788 Mar 31, 2013
jose cruze III wrote:
the gay marriage agenda is the beginning of a diabolical trend to make the homosexual life style legitimate ,..
it is a plan that envisions the gay life style as totally 'normal' and acceptable through out the American society and eventually the world
I've got news for ya, Jose, the US ain't leading the charge on this one. In fact we're a bit behind much of the more developed part of the world on it. Gay folk have seen acceptance in numerous locations.
jose cruze III wrote:
the gay life style can never be legitimate ,...
no matter what the so called modern progressives do to manipulate the truth ,..
the acceptance of such an agenda reflects the dementia of western society
the progressive movement is the bellwether , eventually resulting in the death of western civilization
and ..essentially guaranteeing the Muslims will eventually dominate the earth
Now that is quite a loony leap of faith there, the progressive movement resulting in Muslim world dominance. Maybe your tinfoil hat is a bit too tight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HemetHEMET: Food market's ex-owner convicted of... 2 hr lupita garcia 11
2 females found dead on Girard St in Hemet (Nov '13) 8 hr Chris 59
Boy, Man Found Dead Inside Hemet Home 8 hr Chris 3
more section 8 housing coming soon 11 hr Chris 16
ugly women with ugly tattoos!!!!! (Oct '12) Thu Stupid asses 99
el toro markets busted! (Jul '13) Thu SMAR 44
less blks in hmt since ebola Wed Kuntakinta 3

Hemet News Video

Hemet Dating
Find my Match